Removing Soap Scum from Shower Doors

Category Bathroom
Soap scum is a white film that builds up in showers and bathtubs. It can be extremely frustrating when your trying to have a sparkling clean bathroom and the soap scum just won't go away. This is a guide about removing soap scum from shower doors.

Remove the ring of soap scum from your tub with liquid laundry detergent. For a really bad case mix dry laundry soap with water into a paste and apply to scum. Let it set for a while. It should come off very easily. Works on showers as well.

By Walton from Mesa, AZ

My goodness, I never thought of that. It makes a lot of sense. I'm going to try it. Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts. I think it sure would be cheaper plus no toxic fumes. "Thank you for sharing".

To remove heavy soap scum buildup on clear shower doors without the heavy cleaning fumes use Avon's original Skin-So-Soft bath oil. Be sure to rinse well as the shower floor gets slippery.

By Debi

CLR works wonders also without the slippery floor.

We recently moved into a beautiful rental home. There is one problem, the shower door has so much build up that it looks like it is covered in white film. The owners obviously did not bother to clean it. I have tried everything. I am just concerned that the soap scum has actually etched the glass, what can I do?

By Nan from CA

Best Answer

The thing with blades and scrapers is to keep the blades at a 45 degree angle, no more or less, and never scrape with a dry surface. Always keep the glass wet while scraping, this will keep the blade from scratching. I used this while doing all my construction cleaning--cleaning homes and businesses after the contractors are all done. Good luck.

Best Answer

I have used liquid fabric softener.

What is the best way to keep soap scum at bay on glass shower doors?

By Stella_admin from Manchester, WA

Answer Was this helpful? 3
Best Answer

My mom kept a small squeegee in the tub for this. It takes almost no time at all to quickly run it over the the doors.

Best Answer

Best thing I know is vinegar and baking soda. I use this for most of my cleaning. No chemicals so is good for me and the environment.

Can anybody please give me a phone number where I can buy 365 Scum Remover as Tasmania doesn't sell it anywhere? Cheers.

By Lori

Best Answer

365 is the Whole Food brand. I'm sure you can find a phone number or website online.

Best Answer

365 Spray Scum Remover is no longer sold at Whole Foods.

I'm trying to remove soap scum from glass. I made a huge mistake trying to clean it with Cascade, but it only made it 10 times worse.

By Dulce

Best Answer

If it's very thick and on a shower door the quickest and easiest way to get rid of it is to put a straight razor blade in a holder and scrap it off. Work very gently. I've done this on bathtub tile while the tub is dry. The scum falls in the tub and get it out with the vacuum cleaner attachment. I quit using bar soap for this reason. Liquid cost more but it doesn't form soap scum.

Try using The Works from Dollar General - usually a dollar a bottle and is fabulous!

How do you clean soap scum off shower doors?

By Marilee from Bakersfield, CA

The best way to clean shower doors is with used dryer sheets! Just scrub them with the used sheet, and the scum comes right off, and stays off longer, too. Also, it smells great!

I use a product called Bartenders Friend from Home Depot with a bit of vinegar and a non scratch sponge. Once my shower is clean I wipe it down with a towel after every use. Then once a month I clean the shower and it is a snap because using the towel after every use it picks up most of the soap scum.

I just purchased a home. Two bathrooms have shower doors in very good shape, but on the bottom of the doors is a huge build up of water gunk. It almost looks liked dried on cement. I think it is old water build up. How can I remove this?

By Debbie f. from Mission Viejo, CA

I have used oven cleaner on shower doors. Works wonders.

Can a steam cleaner be used to clean plastic shower doors?

By Moosexquisite from Ramsgate

I adore my steam cleaner. However, I think you need to clean the doors first and then use the steamer after to keep the doors clean. The best product I've ever found is Don Aslett's Showers 'N Stuff. I buy a gallon at a time and use it in a spray bottle. Nothing even comes close to this stuff. I used it on a fiberglass tub that was stained brown that nothing would clean; this cleaned it in no time. Great, great product, and I wouldn't use anything else. No affiliation, just a huge fan.

How can I get my soap scum covered transparent sliding bathroom shower doors sparkling clean, like new, without scratching the glass? Are there any home remedies? Thank you!

By Trudy

Answers:

Cleaning Soap Scum on Shower Doors

I use ordinary soap, whilst in the shower, after washing myself. The soap eats the scum and you can rinse it off afterwards. We also dry out the shower each morning when everybody is finished, so it helps to prevent buildup. (03/03/2011)

By LTK

Cleaning Soap Scum on Shower Doors

Use products like Scrubbing Bubbles. While the shower doors are wet is a better time to do it, but you can spray them when dry. This works great. Just do it a couple of times a week and it keeps the doors clean. I have done this for years. It is so easy the shower cleans itself.

Rosemary, in OH (03/05/2011)

By meis54

Cleaning Soap Scum on Shower Doors

I too have had this problem in the past and very recent past. Just this past week it was driving me nuts. I recently purchased castile soap liquid with tea tree oil. (I don't know if the tree tea oil makes a difference or not. It is just the one I bought). I put some on a sponge (scrubber side) and went to work on the wet glass. I rinsed and didn't notice much of a difference until the next morning when I got in the shower. I saw that it did help quite a bit. So I did it again. It seems to be working. I have also switched to body wash in the shower as the bar soap seems to make it worse. (03/05/2011)

By Compltlyme

RE: Cleaning Soap Scum on Shower Doors

Cleaning Soap Scum on Shower Doors

I use a fabric softener sheet and just use in a circular motion on doors. (03/06/2011)

By Jay1024

Cleaning Soap Scum on Shower Doors

Once your doors are clean, get a squeegee to use on them after each shower. There are plastic ones that look better in the shower than the more industrial metal-looking ones. Some friends suggested this to me and I have recently begun to use it and it seems like it is keeping the scum away. I need to use some of these suggestions until I get the doors sparkling. (03/15/2011)

By Happy05

What is an easy way to remove soap scum from shower and doors?

By John from Niagara Falls, NY

Answers:

Cleaning Soap Scum on Shower Doors

Good old WD40 works fine.

Have FUN!
DearWebby
http://webby.com/humor (12/19/2010)

By DearWebby

Cleaning Soap Scum on Shower Doors

I've found that Simple Green and a Scotch pad works well on soap scum. (12/19/2010)

By cheapbychoice

Cleaning Soap Scum on Shower Doors

Once you have these clean, prevention is the best thing. Either swab down the walls after showering, or get a squeegee for the shower and take the water off with that. If you do this after you shower, you won't have to clean. (12/28/2010)

By louel53

An easy way to remove soap scum from glass shower doors, is to clean them with a wet cloth that has a large amount of shampoo (any kind) on it then rinse. No scrubbing is needed. It is also a cheap way to clean. You can go to the dollar store and get a bottle, and it will only cost you pennies all year to clean.

By Vickie from Lewes, DE

Answers:

Cleaning Soap Scum on Shower Doors

And it smells better than commercial cleaning concoctions. Great idea. (09/26/2010)

By MartyD

How do I get rid of soap scum on a shower door?

By Ken from Columbia, SC

Answers:

Shower Doors are White Instead of Clear

Put vinegar in a squirt bottle and apply with white-nylon scrubber. But my best advice for you is to stop using soap, start using Shower Gel and use a squeegee after each shower. It takes about 3 minutes to squeegee and finish drying the walls with a microfiber cloth (both available at auto parts stores).
(05/13/2010)

By Cajun62234

Shower Doors are White Instead of Clear

You can't get any better than CLR, this stuff is amazing and removes soap scum easily. To get in between the doors where they don't get exposed because of overlay put CLR on a toothbrush and scrub. After shower doors are totally dry apply Turtle wax (car wax) as you would on a car's surface, let dry to powder and then buff to a shine. This will help repel soap scum for a long time and water just rolls off. (05/13/2010)

By YORKIEPOO

Shower Doors are White Instead of Clear

Try Zep Brand Tub and Shower. It is available at Home Depot and is very inexpensive. Often the soap scum is actually on a layer of mineral deposits. If they don't have a water softener it probably is minerals. What you need is an acid. Vinegar with some baking soda also works well. If you clean this house every week keep at it with the vinegar or Zep and it will cut through.

If and when you get it clean you can wipe on Armour-All. It makes the glass look better and helps prevent build up. I cleaned apartments and when someone has lived in an apartment for a long time and never cleaned, some times we scraped it off. Fiberglass showers and glass doors were easier to clean down the road when the apartment would turn over again. We kept a log to check our results.

However, it the glass is scored by the minerals and harsh things people try to use to clean with you are S.O.L. (05/14/2010)

By zoek

Shower Doors are White Instead of Clear

Somewhere on this site is a recipe for removing scum using store bought Kool-Aid lemonade. Try searching for it. (05/16/2010)

By metroplex

I read that lemon oil can be used to clean Plexiglas shower doors. Is Old English lemon oil for wood surfaces OK to use on the doors?

I just moved in and my home is only 5 years old. It has the worst soap scum on the glass shower doors.

I have very bad scum covering the whole of my shower door. Any suggestions for cleaning off? I am living in a hard water area which doesn't help.

Here's a great tip for removing soap scum from shower doors! Take any kind of dryer sheet and moisten it completely and scrub the door with the offending soap scum on it.

I have tried everything from CLR, Jif, sugar soap, Magic Eraser, metho and water, Shower Power, and a foam type soap scum remover and still the shower is white instead of clear.

How do I remove stubborn soap scum on my glass shower doors? I've tried bleach and bi-carb of soda. That didn't work. Any suggestions?

How do I remove soap scum on shower doors? They are hard to get at.

Remove built up soap scum from glass shower doors with a pumice stone. Works great and can be done while you're in the shower!

Does anyone have a miracle cleaner for soap scum on a shower door? I have tried everything on the market. Nothing works on it.

Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.