Removing Soap Scum from Shower Doors

Soap scum is a white film that builds up in showers and bathtubs. It can be extremely frustrating when your trying to have a sparkling clean bathroom and the soap scum just won't go away. This is a guide about removing soap scum from shower doors.

October 27, 2010 Flag

We recently moved into a beautiful rental home. There is one problem, the shower door has so much build up that it looks like it is covered in white film. The owners obviously did not bother to clean it. I have tried everything. I am just concerned that the soap scum has actually etched the glass, what can I do?

By Nan from CA

Best Answer

I have used liquid fabric softener.

Best Answer

April 1, 2011 Flag

What is the best way to keep soap scum at bay on glass shower doors?

By Stella_admin from Manchester, WA

Best Answer

Best thing I know is vinegar and baking soda. I use this for most of my cleaning. No chemicals so is good for me and the environment.

Best Answer

August 7, 2013 Flag

Can anybody please give me a phone number where I can buy 365 Scum Remover as Tasmania doesn't sell it anywhere? Cheers.

By Lori

Best Answer

365 is the Whole Food brand. I'm sure you can find a phone number or website online.

Best Answer

September 27, 2004 Flag

To remove heavy soap scum buildup on clear shower doors without the heavy cleaning fumes use Avon's original Skin-So-Soft bath oil. Be sure to rinse well as the shower floor gets slippery.

By Debi

CLR works wonders also without the slippery floor.

March 16, 2009 Flag

Remove the ring of soap scum from your tub with liquid laundry detergent. For a really bad case mix dry laundry soap with water into a paste and apply to scum. Let it set for a while. It should come off very easily. Works on showers as well.

By Walton from Mesa, AZ

My goodness, I never thought of that. It makes a lot of sense. I'm going to try it. Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts. I think it sure would be cheaper plus no toxic fumes. "Thank you for sharing".

August 30, 2011 Flag

I'm trying to remove soap scum from glass. I made a huge mistake trying to clean it with Cascade, but it only made it 10 times worse.

By Dulce

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

If it's very thick and on a shower door the quickest and easiest way to get rid of it is to put a straight razor blade in a holder and scrap it off. Work very gently. I've done this on bathtub tile while the tub is dry. The scum falls in the tub and get it out with the vacuum cleaner attachment. I quit using bar soap for this reason. Liquid cost more but it doesn't form soap scum.

June 10, 2012 Flag

How do you clean soap scum off shower doors?

By Marilee from Bakersfield, CA

The best way to clean shower doors is with used dryer sheets! Just scrub them with the used sheet, and the scum comes right off, and stays off longer, too. Also, it smells great!

July 20, 2012 Flag

I just purchased a home. Two bathrooms have shower doors in very good shape, but on the bottom of the doors is a huge build up of water gunk. It almost looks liked dried on cement. I think it is old water build up. How can I remove this?

By Debbie f. from Mission Viejo, CA

I have used oven cleaner on shower doors. Works wonders.

September 12, 2010 Flag

Can a steam cleaner be used to clean plastic shower doors?

By Moosexquisite from Ramsgate

I adore my steam cleaner. However, I think you need to clean the doors first and then use the steamer after to keep the doors clean. The best product I've ever found is Don Aslett's Showers 'N Stuff. I buy a gallon at a time and use it in a spray bottle. Nothing even comes close to this stuff. I used it on a fiberglass tub that was stained brown that nothing would clean; this cleaned it in no time. Great, great product, and I wouldn't use anything else. No affiliation, just a huge fan.

April 1, 2011 Flag

How can I get my soap scum covered transparent sliding bathroom shower doors sparkling clean, like new, without scratching the glass? Are there any home remedies? Thank you!

By Trudy

Answers:

Cleaning Soap Scum on Shower Doors

I use ordinary soap, whilst in the shower, after washing myself. The soap eats the scum and you can rinse it off afterwards. We also dry out the shower each morning when everybody is finished, so it helps to prevent buildup. (03/03/2011)

By LTK

Cleaning Soap Scum on Shower Doors

Use products like Scrubbing Bubbles. While the shower doors are wet is a better time to do it, but you can spray them when dry. This works great. Just do it a couple of times a week and it keeps the doors clean. I have done this for years. It is so easy the shower cleans itself.

Rosemary, in OH (03/05/2011)

By meis54

Cleaning Soap Scum on Shower Doors

I too have had this problem in the past and very recent past. Just this past week it was driving me nuts. I recently purchased castile soap liquid with tea tree oil. (I don't know if the tree tea oil makes a difference or not. It is just the one I bought). I put some on a sponge (scrubber side) and went to work on the wet glass. I rinsed and didn't notice much of a difference until the next morning when I got in the shower. I saw that it did help quite a bit. So I did it again. It seems to be working. I have also switched to body wash in the shower as the bar soap seems to make it worse. (03/05/2011)

By Compltlyme

RE: Cleaning Soap Scum on Shower Doors

Cleaning Soap Scum on Shower Doors

I use a fabric softener sheet and just use in a circular motion on doors. (03/06/2011)

By Jay1024

Cleaning Soap Scum on Shower Doors

Once your doors are clean, get a squeegee to use on them after each shower. There are plastic ones that look better in the shower than the more industrial metal-looking ones. Some friends suggested this to me and I have recently begun to use it and it seems like it is keeping the scum away. I need to use some of these suggestions until I get the doors sparkling. (03/15/2011)

By Happy05

March 2, 2011 Flag

What is an easy way to remove soap scum from shower and doors?

By John from Niagara Falls, NY

Answers:

Cleaning Soap Scum on Shower Doors

Good old WD40 works fine.

Have FUN!
DearWebby
http://webby.com/humor (12/19/2010)

By DearWebby

Cleaning Soap Scum on Shower Doors

I've found that Simple Green and a Scotch pad works well on soap scum. (12/19/2010)

By cheapbychoice

Cleaning Soap Scum on Shower Doors

Once you have these clean, prevention is the best thing. Either swab down the walls after showering, or get a squeegee for the shower and take the water off with that. If you do this after you shower, you won't have to clean. (12/28/2010)

By louel53

December 18, 2010 Flag

An easy way to remove soap scum from glass shower doors, is to clean them with a wet cloth that has a large amount of shampoo (any kind) on it then rinse. No scrubbing is needed. It is also a cheap way to clean. You can go to the dollar store and get a bottle, and it will only cost you pennies all year to clean.

By Vickie from Lewes, DE

Answers:

Cleaning Soap Scum on Shower Doors

And it smells better than commercial cleaning concoctions. Great idea. (09/26/2010)

By MartyD

October 27, 2010 Flag

How do I get rid of soap scum on a shower door?

September 23, 2010 Flag

I read that lemon oil can be used to clean Plexiglas shower doors. Is Old English lemon oil for wood surfaces OK to use on the doors?

September 12, 2010 Flag

I just moved in and my home is only 5 years old. It has the worst soap scum on the glass shower doors.

August 26, 2010 Flag

I have very bad scum covering the whole of my shower door. Any suggestions for cleaning off? I am living in a hard water area which doesn't help.

July 19, 2010 Flag

Here's a great tip for removing soap scum from shower doors! Take any kind of dryer sheet and moisten it completely and scrub the door with the offending soap scum on it.

Load More
Home and Garden Cleaning BathroomAugust 18, 2011
Shower door made of metal and class.
Cleaning Metal Parts on Shower Doors
cleaning a tub
Removing Soap Scum from a Plastic Tub
Shower Enclosure
Cleaning a Shower Enclosure
Shower Power Cleaner
Buying Shower Power Cleaner
🎉
🎄