Browsing: Removing Soap Scum from Shower Doors

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Removing Soap Scum from Shower Doors

Soap scum is a white film that builds up in showers and bathtubs. It can be extremely frustrating when your trying to have a sparkling clean bathroom and the soap scum just won't go away. This is a guide about removing soap scum from shower doors.

Hand washing shower wall
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

October 27, 2010 Flag

We recently moved into a beautiful rental home. There is one problem, the shower door has so much build up that it looks like it is covered in white film. The owners obviously did not bother to clean it. I have tried everything. I am just concerned that the soap scum has actually etched the glass, what can I do?

By Nan from CA

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Use Mineral Spirits (aka White Spirits aka Paint Thinners). Like magic, it dissolves the scum the instant it touches it.

Read More Answers...

April 1, 2011 Flag

What is the best way to keep soap scum at bay on glass shower doors?

By Stella_admin from Manchester, WA

Best Answer

Try Magic Eraser (or generic equivalent). Once clean, my grandmother uses a squeegie once a day to keep it from building up again.

Read More Answers...

August 7, 2013 Flag

Can anybody please give me a phone number where I can buy 365 Scum Remover as Tasmania doesn't sell it anywhere? Cheers.

By Lori

Best Answer

365 Spray Scum Remover is no longer sold at Whole Foods.

Read More Answers...

August 30, 2011 Flag

I'm trying to remove soap scum from glass. I made a huge mistake trying to clean it with Cascade, but it only made it 10 times worse.

By Dulce

Best Answer

If it's very thick and on a shower door the quickest and easiest way to get rid of it is to put a straight razor blade in a holder and scrap it off. Work very gently. I've done this on bathtub tile while the tub is dry. The scum falls in the tub and get it out with the vacuum cleaner attachment. I quit using bar soap for this reason. Liquid cost more but it doesn't form soap scum.

Read More Answers...

September 27, 2004 Flag

To remove heavy soap scum buildup on clear shower doors without the heavy cleaning fumes use Avon's original Skin-So-Soft bath oil. Be sure to rinse well as the shower floor gets slippery.

By Debi

March 16, 2009 Flag

Remove the ring of soap scum from your tub with liquid laundry detergent. For a really bad case mix dry laundry soap with water into a paste and apply to scum. Let it set for a while. It should come off very easily. Works on showers as well.

By Walton from Mesa, AZ

June 10, 2012 Flag

How do you clean soap scum off shower doors?

By Marilee from Bakersfield, CA

I use a product called Bartenders Friend from Home Depot with a bit of vinegar and a non scratch sponge. Once my shower is clean I wipe it down with a towel after every use. Then once a month I clean the shower and it is a snap because using the towel after every use it picks up most of the soap scum.

Read More Answers...

September 12, 2010 Flag

Can a steam cleaner be used to clean plastic shower doors?

By Moosexquisite from Ramsgate

Where can I buy, Don Aslell's shower n stuff?

Read More Answers...

July 20, 2012 Flag

I just purchased a home. Two bathrooms have shower doors in very good shape, but on the bottom of the doors is a huge build up of water gunk. It almost looks liked dried on cement. I think it is old water build up. How can I remove this?

By Debbie f. from Mission Viejo, CA

I have used oven cleaner on shower doors. Works wonders.

April 1, 2011 Flag

How can I get my soap scum covered transparent sliding bathroom shower doors sparkling clean, like new, without scratching the glass? Are there any home remedies? Thank you!

By Trudy

Answers:

Cleaning Soap Scum on Shower Doors

I use ordinary soap, whilst in the shower, after washing myself. The soap eats the scum and you can rinse it off afterwards. We also dry out the shower each morning when everybody is finished, so it helps to prevent buildup. (03/03/2011)

By LTK

Cleaning Soap Scum on Shower Doors

Use products like Scrubbing Bubbles. While the shower doors are wet is a better time to do it, but you can spray them when dry. This works great. Just do it a couple of times a week and it keeps the doors clean. I have done this for years. It is so easy the shower cleans itself.

Rosemary, in OH (03/05/2011)

By meis54

Cleaning Soap Scum on Shower Doors

I too have had this problem in the past and very recent past. Just this past week it was driving me nuts. I recently purchased castile soap liquid with tea tree oil. (I don't know if the tree tea oil makes a difference or not. It is just the one I bought). I put some on a sponge (scrubber side) and went to work on the wet glass. I rinsed and didn't notice much of a difference until the next morning when I got in the shower. I saw that it did help quite a bit. So I did it again. It seems to be working. I have also switched to body wash in the shower as the bar soap seems to make it worse. (03/05/2011)

By Compltlyme

RE: Cleaning Soap Scum on Shower Doors

Cleaning Soap Scum on Shower Doors

I use a fabric softener sheet and just use in a circular motion on doors. (03/06/2011)

By Jay1024

Cleaning Soap Scum on Shower Doors

Once your doors are clean, get a squeegee to use on them after each shower. There are plastic ones that look better in the shower than the more industrial metal-looking ones. Some friends suggested this to me and I have recently begun to use it and it seems like it is keeping the scum away. I need to use some of these suggestions until I get the doors sparkling. (03/15/2011)

By Happy05

March 2, 2011 Flag

What is an easy way to remove soap scum from shower and doors?

By John from Niagara Falls, NY

Answers:

Cleaning Soap Scum on Shower Doors

Good old WD40 works fine.

Have FUN!
DearWebby
http://webby.com/humor (12/19/2010)

By DearWebby

Cleaning Soap Scum on Shower Doors

I've found that Simple Green and a Scotch pad works well on soap scum. (12/19/2010)

By cheapbychoice

Cleaning Soap Scum on Shower Doors

Once you have these clean, prevention is the best thing. Either swab down the walls after showering, or get a squeegee for the shower and take the water off with that. If you do this after you shower, you won't have to clean. (12/28/2010)

By louel53

December 18, 2010 Flag

An easy way to remove soap scum from glass shower doors, is to clean them with a wet cloth that has a large amount of shampoo (any kind) on it then rinse. No scrubbing is needed. It is also a cheap way to clean.

October 27, 2010 Flag

How do I get rid of soap scum on a shower door?

September 23, 2010 Flag

I read that lemon oil can be used to clean Plexiglas shower doors. Is Old English lemon oil for wood surfaces OK to use on the doors?

Load More
Home and Garden Cleaning BathroomAugust 18, 2011
Shower door made of metal and class.
Cleaning Metal Parts on Shower Doors
cleaning a tub
Removing Soap Scum from a Plastic Tub
Shower Enclosure
Cleaning a Shower Enclosure
Shower Power Cleaner
Buying Shower Power Cleaner
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 30, 2016 at 3:16:54 AM on 10.0.0.132 in 5 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.