Recipes Using Oatmeal

Category Cheap Meals
Oatmeal and Recipe Ingredients
A hearty, gluten free grain that can be used in many kinds of recipes. This page contains recipes using oatmeal.

This is a guide about banana oatmeal fingers. A healthy snack for little people can be made with no added sugar.

Banana Oatmeal Fingers

Read More... Was this helpful? 1

This is a guide about homemade oatmeal recipes. A hearty breakfast cereal that can be enhanced in many delicious ways with fruits, nuts, spices and dairy.

oatmeal with strawberries and blueberries

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This guide contains oatmeal cake recipes. A simple, healthier cake can be made with the addition of this grain.

Oatmeal Swiss Roll Cake

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

Ingredients

• 4 cups water
  • 2 cups old-fashioned or quick-cooking oatmeal
  • 2/3 cup nonfat dry milk powder
  • 2 Tablespoons margarine
  • Brown sugar to taste (I use approx. 1/4 cup)

Directions

Stir oatmeal and dry milk together. Add to cold water in a heavy bottom pan and bring to a boil. Cook according to package directions. Stir in margarine, and brown sugar.

Serves 4

This is what I make for breakfast when the cupboard is almost bare, or it's the end of the month. . . but my kids have always seen it as a treat. Sometimes I add a teaspoon of maple flavoring.

By Barb from Allendale, MI

Does anybody have any creative oatmeal recipe ideas that does NOT involve sugar or flour? Meaning no oatmeal cookies, bars or bread. I want to start incorporating oatmeal in our daily diet but plain oatmeal for breakfast gets kind of boring.

I would like to stay away from sugar and refined white flour if at all possible since that defeats the purpose of trying to be healthy. I would be willing to use a little honey, fruit preserve or Splenda to sweeten it if necessary. Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.

pookie

P.S. To the wonderful person (I forgot who) who posted the tip on Thrifty some time back on putting fruit preserves in oatmeal to sweeten it, thank you! It was a wonderful idea.

Editor's Note: I believe the tip you are referring to is here: Sweeten Oatmeal With Jam

Best Answer

I actually posted this as an answer on Jan 5 of this year. "Would you believe I make Oatmeal Soup. I was trying to think of a way to eat oatmeal without sugar and I decided to try cooking it in chicken bouillon (or broth) with garlic powder. Sometimes I add mushrooms and sometimes I add green beans. But I usually don't add anything but the garlic powder. My son loves oatmeal and was afraid to try it....when he tasted it, he loved it!I like it cooked thick (like regular oatmeal) or thin (soupy). I'd be curious if anyone else has tried this :) " But...I'm not kidding, I love this stuff.

Best Answer

My 6-year-old son and I mash one banana and add it after the oatmeal is cooked. Just mix it in and serves. It tastes great!

Best Answer

I cook 1/4 cup of oatmeal with a little water. Microwave for 2 minutes.

Then I take out and add 1 tablespoon of olive oil and cinnamon. I know it sounds different, but it's fabulous..and good for you.

Best Answer

I use oatmeal in my meatballs and meatloaf instead of breadcrumbs works great and nobody can tell the difference.

Best Answer

Oatmeal pancakes or waffles. So good!

Blend:

1/2 cup oatmeal

1/4 cup low fat cottage cheese

2 eggs

dash of nutmeg, cinnamon, salt, and vanilla extract

This is a great recipe You've got to try it, and if you don't like cottage cheese don't worry, you can't taste it. It's all smoothed in the blender too. Add extras if you want like banana, blueberries, sometimes I put in chocolate chips and that is great too. Hope you enjoy!

Best Answer

This recipe is from Elle Krieger

1/2 cup old fashioned oats

1 cup water

1 pinch of salt (optional)

1/8-1/4 cup of dried cherries (you can use any other dried fruit, but just make sure you get similar sugar free jam)

2 tbs Sugar Free berry preserves

2 tsp Vanilla Extract

Just cook the oats as directed on container with dried fruit. Add salt if desired. Then when oats are done cooking, turn off heat and add the jam and vanilla extract. Stir a few times to combine and then serve.

I have this for breakfast everyday and it's delicious! it's sweet so you don't feel deprived, but also so good for you. It's the perfect way to start off the day.

Best Answer

I tried making oatmeal the other night, using chicken broth. I added some cooked mushrooms and a little diced cooked chicken. It seemed a little odd, thinking about it, but it was really good. I'd like to try it with the steel cut oats, as opposed to the rolled oats. Oatmeal isn't something people think of, other than as a breakfast cereal, but really, it's just a neutral grain. You can do anything you want with it.

I know I have read a recipe for baked oatmeal in the newsletter, but now I can't find it. I have been given 2 very large boxes of original oatmeal. The type that takes a while to cook. I figured if I could find the recipe for baked oatmeal that would be a way to use it. Any other ideas for recipes using oatmeal would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance,
Sandy

Best Answer

BAKED OATMEAL

1/2 c. oil or applesauce

2 eggs, beaten

1 c. sugar

2 tsp. baking powder

3 c. oatmeal

1 tsp. salt

1 c. milk

nuts, optional

1. Bake at 350 degrees, 30-35 minutes.

Also can be cut in half and microwaved.

Best Answer

Triple-Healthy Salmon Patties

Take a large can of salmon and with fingers pulverize the bones. Chop the skin fine or discard it.

Add:

1/2 c oatmeal

1 egg

dash pepper

2-6 T of chopped onion (to taste)

dash of milk

dash of lemon juice if you have it

Form into patties and fry in olive oil till browned. Cheap olive oil has less flavor so is best for this.

Best Answer

Mashed Potato Oatmeal

I sneak oatmeal into the family food, anyway I can, and they never know it.

Put 1 cup dried oatmeal into mixing bowl.

Put 1 cup warm water over oatmeal. Stir and set aside.

Boil potatoes as usual for mashed potatoes.

While boiling, heat, low fat evaporated milk, butter, and salt in microwave, until butter melts.

Drain potatoes and start mashing, while alternating small amounts of microwaved mixture and oatmeal water mixture, until you get the consistency you want.

I throw in a couple globs of the oatmeal mush too. They will never know, this doesn't change the flavor or the texture at all.

Best Answer

Granola

4 cups old-fashioned oats

2 cups shredded coconut, sweetened

2 cups almonds, sliced

1-1/2 cups dried cherries, coarsely chopped

1/2 cup vegetable oil

1/3 cup honey

2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Toss the oats, coconut, almonds, and cherries together in a large bowl. Pour the vegetable oil and honey over the oat mixture. Add the cinnamon, and stir until coated. Pour onto a sheet pan and bake, stirring occasionally, until golden brown, about 25 to 30 minutes. Cool, stirring occasionally. Store the cooled granola in an airtight container.

My family strongly dislikes the packets of instant oatmeal I thought they would enjoy. I have more than half of a box left (and six others I purchased at 50 cents each left over). Any ideas on what I can do with the oatmeal? Can I make cookies out of instant oatmeal? Add to muffin mix? I might be giving these away to the needy if we can't come up with a plan to use these! Thanks so much!

Melissa W.

I make "No Bake Cookies" from instant oatmeal. My kids love them.

No Bake Cookies:

2 C. Sugar

2 Tblsp. Cocoa

1/2 C. Butter

1/2 C. Milk

1/2 C. Peanut Butter

1 Tsp. Vanilla

5 C. Instant Oatmeal

Combine sugar, cocoa, butter, milk and peanut butter and bring to a boil. Remove from heat and add vanilla and oats. Stir until combined. Drop by tsp. on wax paper or spead in a pan, cool and cut in squares.

I used to get the variety packs of instant oatmeal, but nobody would eat the "plain" packets. I used them in cookies in place of quick-cooking oats and they turned out fine. The flavored ones would probably work too, and add an interesting flavor to the cookies.

Camilla

When my kids were small and I made them oatmeal for breakfast (that was way before the time of microwaves and instant oatmeal), I would purposely make a little extra so that I could make an oatmeal cake. The instant oatmeal would be perfect for this recipe.

Oatmeal Cake

1 1/2 cups prepared Oatmeal

1/2 cup butter or shortening

1 cup brown sugar

1 cup white sugar

2 eggs

1 1/3 cup flour

1 t. cinnamon

1/2 t. nutmeg

1 t. baking soda

1/2 t. salt

Cream butter and sugars. Add eggs and oatmeal and mix well. Add dry ingredients. Spread in a greased 9X13 pan and bake at 350º for 30-35 minutes. Spread with topping and return to oven for 3 minutes.

Topping

1/2 cup butter

1/2 cup brown sugar

1/2 cup milk

1/2 cup chopped nuts

1 cup coconut (or you can use 1 cup dry oatmeal)

Bring butter, brown sugar and milk to a boil. Cook slightly( 2 or 3 minutes) Add coconut(or oatmeal) and nuts. Spread on hot cake. Return to the oven for 3 minutes.

My kids are grown, but my grandkids and great grandkids enjoy this as much as their parents did.

Harlean Greathouse

Give them to a food pantry

When I buy the variety packs of instant oatmeal and all that's left are the plain, my kids put maple syrup in them instead of sugar. It gives them a different taste than just plain oatmeal. You could also try using brown sugar and cinnamon instead of white sugar to sweeten your oatmeal. They may like it.

Try this for a very quick and simple solution to the flat oatmeal taste. Take a cup of uncooked oatmeal and mix it with about a 3/4 cup of heated apple juice. You don't have to cook it to enjoy the pleasant flavor.

Use it in instant pancake batter...My favorite is maple and brown sugar. Just mix until it has that unmistakeable pancake consistency. If you add too much water just add more mix...

I was wondering if anyone has a any recipes using leftover oatmeal?

Cristy from Greensboro, NC

What is the difference between quick cooking oatmeal and old fashioned rolled oats? All of my recipes for oatmeal cookies say to use "quick cooking" oatmeal and all I have is a huge box of old-fashioned rolled oats, can I use that instead?

Paula from Christmas, MI

There is a recipe on the underside of the lid of my box of Quaker rolled oats for oatmeal cookies and my family loves them.

What I do is put the old fashioned oatmeal in my blender and chop it up more and I also have used the old fashioned oatmeal in place of the quick. Hope this helps!

I am going to see my mother-in-law who lives in a nursing home in Indiana at the end of May, first of June and I am wanting to make a nice snack for the residents using oatmeal. I usually try to take some sort of a snack for the residents when we visit. I try to make it somewhat healthy being that so many have dietary limitations, but does not necessarily have to be every time we go. They do so enjoy homemade goodies as they do not get them often. We do travel several hours in a vehicle and we stay at a hotel so it can not require refrigeration. Thank you for any ideas and suggestions.

By AJW

There are so many small dry oatmeal mixes, like those with dates and nuts, that I would love to use for baking bread or cookies. Does anyone have such a recipe or experience in using such breakfast food, other than as a cereal?