Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Recipes Using Oatmeal

0 0EmailFollow
Pin It
Oatmeal and Recipe Ingredients

A hearty, gluten free grain that can be used in many kinds of recipes. This page contains recipes using oatmeal.

Video: Banana Oatmeal Fingers

Banana Oatmeal Fingers are a great breakfast or snack for babies and toddlers. I make these for my 10 month old son and he loves them. This is a great recipe if you are doing Baby Led Weaning. View the full recipe here: Banana Oatmeal Fingers

Solutions: Recipes Using Oatmeal

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Recipe: Banana Oatmeal Fingers

Banana Oatmeal Fingers

Banana Oatmeal Fingers are a great breakfast or snack for babies and toddlers. I make these for my 10 month old son and he loves them.

Approximate Time: 10 minutes

Yield: 1

• 1/4 cup old fashioned rolled oats
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1/2 banana

1. Cut banana into quarters then slice.
  2. In a sauce pan, stir oats into water and bring to a boil. Bringing the oats to a boil with that water rather than adding the oats once the water boils will make a creamier oatmeal. Lower heat to medium low a cook for about 5 minutes.Banana Oatmeal Fingers
  3. Stir in banana and remove from heat.
    Banana Oatmeal Fingers
  4. In a microwave safe, flat bottomed bowl, spread the oat mixture in a 1/4 inch thick layer. Make sure to press the mixture down a bit to make sure it will come out in one piece once cooked.Banana Oatmeal FingersBanana Oatmeal Fingers
  5. Place in the microwave on high for 3 minutes.
    Banana Oatmeal Fingers
  6. Carefully remove the oatmeal pancake from the bottom of the bowl and cut into thin slices so that is is easy for your child to pick up and eat. If it is still mushy, cook for another minute until a pancake has formed. Banana Oatmeal FingersBanana Oatmeal FingersBanana Oatmeal Fingers
Banana Oatmeal Fingers

By

Recipe: Oatmeal Cake

Ingredients

• 1 1/2 cups boiling water
  • 1 cup regular oats (not quick oats)
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/2 cup shortening
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • pinch salt
  • 1 1/2 cups flour
Topping:
  • 6 Tbsp. butter or margarine
  • 1/4 cup evaporated milk
  • 1 cup flaked coconut
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1 cup pecans, chopped
  • 1 tsp. vanilla

Directions

Heat the oven to 350 degrees F. Bring the water to a boil and pour it over the oats. Let the oats stand for 20 minutes. Mix the brown sugar, granulated sugar, shortening, eggs, cinnamon, baking soda, salt and flour together and add the oat mixture. Pour into a greased 9x13 inch pan and bake 35-40 minutes.

Mix the butter, evaporated milk, coconut, brown sugar, chopped nuts and vanilla together. When the cake is done, carefully spread the topping over the cake. Turn the oven to broil and place the cake under the broiler flame until the coconut browns. Watch carefully, it burns easily!

By Robin from Washington, IA

Give a "thumbs up" to the solution that worked the best! Do you have a better solution? Click here to share it!

Here are questions related to Recipes Using Oatmeal.

Question: Oatmeal Snacks for Nursing Home Patients

I am going to see my mother-in-law who lives in a nursing home in Indiana at the end of May, first of June and I am wanting to make a nice snack for the residents using oatmeal. I usually try to take some sort of a snack for the residents when we visit. I try to make it somewhat healthy being that so many have dietary limitations, but does not necessarily have to be every time we go. They do so enjoy homemade goodies as they do not get them often. We do travel several hours in a vehicle and we stay at a hotel so it can not require refrigeration. Thank you for any ideas and suggestions.

By AJW

Most Recent Answer

By garnet905/20/2013

I was going to give you the oatmeal cookie recipe that I had posted on Thrifty Fun's Recipe site, but somebody else already posted it here.

Question: Recipes Using Leftover Oatmeal

I was wondering if anyone has a any recipes using leftover oatmeal?

Cristy from Greensboro, NC

Most Recent Answer

02/26/2009

How about using leftover oatmeal in home made bread and buns and loaves such as cinnamon loaf or muffins

Question: Recipes Using Oatmeal

I know I have read a recipe for baked oatmeal in the newsletter, but now I can't find it. I have been given 2 very large boxes of original oatmeal. The type that takes a while to cook. I figured if I could find the recipe for baked oatmeal that would be a way to use it. Any other ideas for recipes using oatmeal would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance,
Sandy

Best Answers

By Mary [12]12/02/2006

Granola

4 cups old-fashioned oats
2 cups shredded coconut, sweetened
2 cups almonds, sliced
1-1/2 cups dried cherries, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/3 cup honey
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Toss the oats, coconut, almonds, and cherries together in a large bowl. Pour the vegetable oil and honey over the oat mixture. Add the cinnamon, and stir until coated. Pour onto a sheet pan and bake, stirring occasionally, until golden brown, about 25 to 30 minutes. Cool, stirring occasionally. Store the cooled granola in an airtight container.

Best Answers

By glenda06/29/2005

Mashed Potato Oatmeal

I sneak oatmeal into the family food, anyway I can, and they never know it.

Put 1 cup dried oatmeal into mixing bowl.

Put 1 cup warm water over oatmeal. Stir and set aside.

Boil potatoes as usual for mashed potatoes.

While boiling, heat, low fat evaporated milk, butter, and salt in microwave, until butter melts.

Drain potatoes and start mashing, while alternating small amounts of microwaved mixture and oatmeal water mixture, until you get the consistency you want.
I throw in a couple globs of the oatmeal mush too. They will never know, this doesn't change the flavor or the texture at all.

Best Answers

By Estella (Guest Post)06/28/2005

Triple-Healthy Salmon Patties
Take a large can of salmon and with fingers pulverize the bones. Chop the skin fine or discard it.
Add:
1/2 c oatmeal
1 egg
dash pepper
2-6 T of chopped onion (to taste)
dash of milk
dash of lemon juice if you have it

Form into patties and fry in olive oil till browned. Cheap olive oil has less flavor so is best for this.

Best Answers

By Shirley M (Guest Post)06/28/2005

BAKED OATMEAL

1/2 c. oil or applesauce
2 eggs, beaten
1 c. sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
3 c. oatmeal
1 tsp. salt
1 c. milk
nuts, optional

1. Bake at 350 degrees, 30-35 minutes.
Also can be cut in half and microwaved.

Question: Recipes Using Instant Oatmeal

My family strongly dislikes the packets of instant oatmeal I thought they would enjoy. I have more than half of a box left (and six others I purchased at 50 cents each left over). Any ideas on what I can do with the oatmeal? Can I make cookies out of instant oatmeal? Add to muffin mix? I might be giving these away to the needy if we can't come up with a plan to use these! Thanks so much!

Melissa W.

Most Recent Answer

By Amanda Forson05/28/2009

I am trying to figure out a good recipe for a large batch (half of a Costco-sized box) of instant oatmeal packets. I'm thinking cookies, bread, muffins, etc. Can you throw instant oatmeal into savory dishes like beef stew if it is plain instead of barley or the like? All suggestions/recipes appreciated. Thanks!

Question: Looking for Healthy Oatmeal Recipes

Does anybody have any creative oatmeal recipe ideas that does NOT involve sugar or flour? Meaning no oatmeal cookies, bars or bread. I want to start incorporating oatmeal in our daily diet but plain oatmeal for breakfast gets kind of boring.

I would like to stay away from sugar and refined white flour if at all possible since that defeats the purpose of trying to be healthy. I would be willing to use a little honey, fruit preserve or Splenda to sweeten it if necessary. Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.

pookie

P.S. To the wonderful person (I forgot who) who posted the tip on Thrifty some time back on putting fruit preserves in oatmeal to sweeten it, thank you! It was a wonderful idea.

Editor's Note: I believe the tip you are referring to is here: Sweeten Oatmeal With Jam

Best Answers

By Susan [3]03/12/2009

I tried making oatmeal the other night, using chicken broth. I added some cooked mushrooms and a little diced cooked chicken. It seemed a little odd, thinking about it, but it was really good. I'd like to try it with the steel cut oats, as opposed to the rolled oats. Oatmeal isn't something people think of, other than as a breakfast cereal, but really, it's just a neutral grain. You can do anything you want with it.

Best Answers

By Kim (Guest Post)11/12/2008

This recipe is from Elle Krieger

1/2 cup old fashioned oats
1 cup water
1 pinch of salt (optional)
1/8-1/4 cup of dried cherries (you can use any other dried fruit, but just make sure you get similar sugar free jam)
2 tbs Sugar Free berry preserves
2 tsp Vanilla Extract

Just cook the oats as directed on container with dried fruit. Add salt if desired. Then when oats are done cooking, turn off heat and add the jam and vanilla extract. Stir a few times to combine and then serve.

I have this for breakfast everyday and it's delicious! it's sweet so you don't feel deprived, but also so good for you. It's the perfect way to start off the day.

Best Answers

By Sarah (Guest Post)09/20/2008

Oatmeal pancakes or waffles. So good!
Blend:
1/2 cup oatmeal
1/4 cup low fat cottage cheese
2 eggs
dash of nutmeg, cinnamon, salt, and vanilla extract

This is a great recipe You've got to try it, and if you don't like cottage cheese don't worry, you can't taste it. It's all smoothed in the blender too. Add extras if you want like banana, blueberries, sometimes I put in chocolate chips and that is great too. Hope you enjoy!

Best Answers

By eileen (Guest Post)07/23/2006

I use oatmeal in my meatballs and meatloaf instead of breadcrumbs works great and nobody can tell the difference.