Browsing: Recipes Using Oatmeal

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Recipes Using Oatmeal

A hearty, gluten free grain that can be used in many kinds of recipes. This page contains recipes using oatmeal.

Oatmeal and Recipe Ingredients
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

May 14, 2013 Flag

Banana Oatmeal Fingers are a great breakfast or snack for babies and toddlers. I make these for my 10 month old son and he loves them.

Banana Oatmeal Fingers

Total Time: 10 minutes

Yield: 1

• 1/4 cup old fashioned rolled oats
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1/2 banana

Related Products:

1. Cut banana into quarters then slice.
  2. In a sauce pan, stir oats into water and bring to a boil. Bringing the oats to a boil with that water rather than adding the oats once the water boils will make a creamier oatmeal. Lower heat to medium low a cook for about 5 minutes.
  3. Banana Oatmeal Fingers
  4. Stir in banana and remove from heat.
  5. Banana Oatmeal Fingers
  6. In a microwave safe, flat bottomed bowl, spread the oat mixture in a 1/4 inch thick layer. Make sure to press the mixture down a bit to make sure it will come out in one piece once cooked.
  7. Banana Oatmeal FingersBanana Oatmeal Fingers
  8. Place in the microwave on high for 3 minutes.
  9. Banana Oatmeal Fingers
  10. Carefully remove the oatmeal pancake from the bottom of the bowl and cut into thin slices so that is is easy for your child to pick up and eat. If it is still mushy, cook for another minute until a pancake has formed.
  11. Banana Oatmeal FingersBanana Oatmeal FingersBanana Oatmeal Fingers
Banana Oatmeal Fingers

January 20, 2005 Flag

Does anybody have any creative oatmeal recipe ideas that does NOT involve sugar or flour? Meaning no oatmeal cookies, bars or bread. I want to start incorporating oatmeal in our daily diet but plain oatmeal for breakfast gets kind of boring.

I would like to stay away from sugar and refined white flour if at all possible since that defeats the purpose of trying to be healthy. I would be willing to use a little honey, fruit preserve or Splenda to sweeten it if necessary. Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.

pookie

P.S. To the wonderful person (I forgot who) who posted the tip on Thrifty some time back on putting fruit preserves in oatmeal to sweeten it, thank you! It was a wonderful idea.

Editor's Note: I believe the tip you are referring to is here: Sweeten Oatmeal With Jam

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Oatmeal pancakes or waffles. So good!

Blend:

1/2 cup oatmeal

1/4 cup low fat cottage cheese

2 eggs

dash of nutmeg, cinnamon, salt, and vanilla extract

This is a great recipe You've got to try it, and if you don't like cottage cheese don't worry, you can't taste it. It's all smoothed in the blender too. Add extras if you want like banana, blueberries, sometimes I put in chocolate chips and that is great too. Hope you enjoy!

Best Answer

This recipe is from Elle Krieger

1/2 cup old fashioned oats

1 cup water

1 pinch of salt (optional)

1/8-1/4 cup of dried cherries (you can use any other dried fruit, but just make sure you get similar sugar free jam)

2 tbs Sugar Free berry preserves

2 tsp Vanilla Extract

Just cook the oats as directed on container with dried fruit. Add salt if desired. Then when oats are done cooking, turn off heat and add the jam and vanilla extract. Stir a few times to combine and then serve.

I have this for breakfast everyday and it's delicious! it's sweet so you don't feel deprived, but also so good for you. It's the perfect way to start off the day.

Best Answer

I tried making oatmeal the other night, using chicken broth. I added some cooked mushrooms and a little diced cooked chicken. It seemed a little odd, thinking about it, but it was really good. I'd like to try it with the steel cut oats, as opposed to the rolled oats. Oatmeal isn't something people think of, other than as a breakfast cereal, but really, it's just a neutral grain. You can do anything you want with it.

I make "scrapple" with oatmeal. You can find many different recipes for scrapple online. You fry it, can be for any meal.

June 28, 2005 Flag

I know I have read a recipe for baked oatmeal in the newsletter, but now I can't find it. I have been given 2 very large boxes of original oatmeal. The type that takes a while to cook. I figured if I could find the recipe for baked oatmeal that would be a way to use it. Any other ideas for recipes using oatmeal would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance,
Sandy

Best Answer

Triple-Healthy Salmon Patties

Take a large can of salmon and with fingers pulverize the bones. Chop the skin fine or discard it.

Add:

1/2 c oatmeal

1 egg

dash pepper

2-6 T of chopped onion (to taste)

dash of milk

dash of lemon juice if you have it

Form into patties and fry in olive oil till browned. Cheap olive oil has less flavor so is best for this.

Best Answer

Mashed Potato Oatmeal

I sneak oatmeal into the family food, anyway I can, and they never know it.

Put 1 cup dried oatmeal into mixing bowl.

Put 1 cup warm water over oatmeal. Stir and set aside.

Boil potatoes as usual for mashed potatoes.

While boiling, heat, low fat evaporated milk, butter, and salt in microwave, until butter melts.

Drain potatoes and start mashing, while alternating small amounts of microwaved mixture and oatmeal water mixture, until you get the consistency you want.

I throw in a couple globs of the oatmeal mush too. They will never know, this doesn't change the flavor or the texture at all.

Best Answer

Granola

4 cups old-fashioned oats

2 cups shredded coconut, sweetened

2 cups almonds, sliced

1-1/2 cups dried cherries, coarsely chopped

1/2 cup vegetable oil

1/3 cup honey

2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Toss the oats, coconut, almonds, and cherries together in a large bowl. Pour the vegetable oil and honey over the oat mixture. Add the cinnamon, and stir until coated. Pour onto a sheet pan and bake, stirring occasionally, until golden brown, about 25 to 30 minutes. Cool, stirring occasionally. Store the cooled granola in an airtight container.

I had a similar problem - someone else did my shopping for me - I was sick - and I got two large boxes of regular oatmeal - instead of quick oats.

I found if I put the regular oatmeat in my food processor and gave it a few whirls I had either quick or instant oatmeal - depending how much I processed it.

May 10, 2010 Flag

Heat the oven to 350 degrees F. Bring the water to a boil and pour it over the oats. Let the oats stand for 20 minutes. Mix the brown sugar, granulated sugar, shortening, eggs, cinnamon, baking soda, salt and flour together and add the oat mixture.

August 25, 2015 Flag

There are so many small dry oatmeal mixes, like those with dates and nuts, that I would love to use for baking bread or cookies. Does anyone have such a recipe or experience in using such breakfast food, other than as a cereal?

I am a very experienced baker but have not used the packets for baking, etc., however, out of curiosity, I checked the ingredients of the Quaker Oats single servings. Each type has the basics of cereal, minimal fruit and added vitamins and they also have other ingredients like guar gum, calcium carbonate (chalk), salt (amount not stated), etc. Also, the amount of fruit in the packets is rather low as it is added mostly for minimal flavor.

I would rather use a bread, etc., recipe where I control the ingredients.

Are you talking about those microwave packets?

They are highly processed and not a substitute for rolled oats in a recipe.

You could try adding them to a quick bread, muffin or cookie recipe. Remove an equivalent amount of plain flour to get the right consistency of batter.

February 23, 2009 Flag

I was wondering if anyone has a any recipes using leftover oatmeal?

Cristy from Greensboro, NC

I add it to my smoothies and shakes for added nutrients.

Well I haven't done it for a long time. But my mom use to take it and add a little brown sugar, cinnamon and then make patties and fry them in a little lard. That was back in the 40's. So crisco would do for frying now. Made a desert for us.

Thanks for so many great ideas! I can't wait to try them.

How about using leftover oatmeal in home made bread and buns and loaves such as cinnamon loaf or muffins

June 5, 2013 Flag

Banana Oatmeal Fingers are a great breakfast or snack for babies and toddlers. I make these for my 10 month old son and he loves them. This is a great recipe if you are doing Baby Led Weaning. View the full recipe here: Banana Oatmeal Fingers

Load More
Food and Recipes Recipes Cheap MealsApril 11, 2013
A bowl of oatmeal.
Saving Money On Oatmeal
Jar of instant oatmeal.
Homemade Instant Oatmeal Recipes
Crafts Using Oatmeal Containers
Crafts Using Oatmeal Containers
Oatmeal Pancakes
Oatmeal Pancake Mix Recipes
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 26, 2016 at 3:11:39 PM on 10.0.1.179 in 4 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.