Removing Hair Dye from Wood

Dyeing your hair at home can save you a lot of money. However, sometimes there are accidents. A common unexpected outcome of the home dye job is stains on the woodwork or cabinetry. This is a guide about removing hair dye from wood.

Young woman dyeing her hair.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

What is the best way to get black dye stains off a bathroom wood cabinet that is a very light wood?

By Marion from Parsippany, NJ

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I just tried the nail file suggestion on my parents' wood cabinet sink after slopping ammonia based Loreal dark brown dye on it hours ago and just noticing it. It worked! I couldn't believe it! THANK YOU!

Read More Answers...

I really like the idea of some of the suggestions. I have no SOS pads so I used the curly metal pot cleaners from the dollar store. Norwex also makes them. I used them with rubbing alcohol. Gently rub along the grain of the wood, not against it. The dye came off instantly

package of steel scrubbers
    CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

When I dyed my hair the plastic bottle went flying, and spattered the side of my bathroom wood cabinet.

By Marion H.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I got hair dye on my hardwood floors earlier tonight. My DH and I used OxyClean powder. We sprinkled the powder on the spots and added a tiny bit of water then scrubbed it with an abrasive dish pad. It took a little elbow grease but it worked like a charm and it didn't discolor my wood at all! The trick is to not add too much water. The more abrasive, the better. Hope this helps...good luck!

How do I remove dark hair dye off a light colored wood with out removing the paint?

By manager

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

After failed attempts trying to use color remover for skin and trying to use nail polish remover on my wooden steps, I was beyond surprised that Dawn dishwashing soap and a brillo pad actually got my black hair dye out. It takes some good scrubbing but it worked. Hope this helps!

Read More Answers...

I left a can of hot pink hair spray on my window ledge and didn't realize it had leaked for the longest time. (It was laying on it's side) and I am unsure on how to remove it. How can you remove it without causing damage to the ledge?

By Anna from Paris, TX

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Try using rubbing alcohol or white vinegar. The alcohol works great for regular hairspray.

How do I get hair dye out of wood bathroom cabinet? It's light maple with black hair dye. Ugh!

By Rose

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

(Submitted via email)

Works great! Billie

Read More Answers...

There are black drops of dye on my light wood table. How do I remove them?

Thank you in advance. I just love this site.

By Marion

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Thank you so much for solutions for Hair Dye on light wood table. A soapy brillo or sos pad was the only thing that worked. Thank you again.

How do I get dark hair dye stains off my light wood bathroom cabinets without damaging them?

By CVB

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You could try Magic Eraser by Mr.Clean-it worked for me.Can buy off brands at dollar stores too,like I do & they also worked for me. Good luck. : )

How do you remove Hair Dye from your wood trim or cabinets in your bathroom?

Kathryn from Wisconsin

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Most likely have to sand and restain.

That's what I ended up doing years ago. But Home Depot might have a product that might do the trick. I'd go to a home improvement store first. It's always a good idea.

Jennifer CA

I just did this and it worked perfectly! Use nail polish remover, a Brillo pad and makeup remover wipes. After you are done, go over the area with wood floor cleaner to make it shine. You would never know there was hair dye on the wood. There was so much of it before I cleaned it this way.

CommentMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

How do I remove hair dye from wood table surface?

By Norienna from Bowie, MD

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Removing hair dye from wood?

jbovis from Seattle, WA

Removing Hair Dye From Wood

SOS totally works! Even on old stains, Thank you! (12/09/2007)

By Jenny

Removing Hair Dye From Wood

This really works. Put Jif's lemon juice (the one you use on pancakes) and white vinegar in a bowl then get a sponge and scrub where your hair dye is. I did it and it worked. (02/16/2008)

By Alex

Removing Hair Dye From Wood

The Mr. clean magic eraser worked great! in less than a minute the stain was gone and my wood floor looks good. Thanks.

(03/26/2008)

By Gale

Removing Hair Dye From Wood

I used a regular SOS pad on mine and it worked like a charm. Thank you! (04/10/2008)

By Anna M.

Removing Hair Dye From Wood

An SOS pad did nothing, but take the paint off. Thanks. (10/02/2008)

By Erin

Removing Hair Dye From Wood

Took a lot of elbow grease, but the combination of baking soda and vinegar did work well! (02/03/2009)

By NancyQ

Removing Hair Dye From Wood

Baking soda and vinegar worked great. It didn't remove finish. It took a while. I put on rubber gloves and worked baking soda and vinegar paste into the grain of the wood w/ my fingers, then sprayed with vinegar and wiped clean. I had to do it several times. You can't see any sign of stain or discoloration from scrubbing. Thanks. I didn't think it would come out! (02/08/2009)

By Acorn Noel Choir

Removing Hair Dye From Wood

Wow, I never knew hand sanitizer would take off the stains, genius people, seriously thanks. :) (07/05/2010)

By cassieecakess

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

How do I get hair dye off of my wooden mirror?

Thanks,

Cooke

Removing Hair Dye From Wood

Use SOS Lemon Cleaner it gets out really tough stains, it works, trust me! (09/17/2004)

Removing Hair Dye From Wood

Wow... that SOS really works on removing hair dye out of wood! Thanks. (02/02/2005)

Hair gel from sofas

Has anyone got any ideas on how to remove hair gel from sofa's? My son regularly likes to sleep on the sofa with his greasy head. It has caused a lot of upset with other occupants in the house! Any suggestions URGENTLY REQUIRED!

Editor's Note:
      We posted this as a new request:

http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf551034.tip.html (04/03/2005)

By John

Removing Hair Dye From Wood

What is sos? (11/24/2005)

By Tanya

Removing Hair Dye From Wood

S.O.S. are soap pads, either steel wool or a scrubby plastic, with soap in them so when you get them wet, they get nice and sudsy.
      Susan from ThriftyFun (11/24/2005)

By ThriftyFun

Removing Hair Dye From Wood

MAGIC ERASER AND WATER!!! WORKS LIKE A CHARM (01/08/2007)

By melanie

Removing Hair Dye From Wood

Wow that S.O.S stuff really works. I recommend it to everyone. It really works and there were no scratches or discoloration on my wood floor. Yay =] (08/29/2007)

By Nimra

Removing Hair Dye From Wood

Thank you for this tip. I dyed my daughter's hair and there were horrible dark brown stains on the wood floor. I tried all kinds of tricks to get it off from white vinegar to 401 cleaner. Nothing helped one bit until I found this site. Within 10 seconds of scrubbing with an SOS pad I could see it was working! Thank you so much. (10/20/2007)

By Rich

Removing Hair Dye From Wood

Thank god for these tips....SOS saved the day it took only
      a few seconds and the hardwood looks awesome, hair dye gone..
      lol "phew".(10/27/2007)

By miranda

Removing Hair Dye From Wood

My husband was wearing a black jacket and the dye stained a part of his guitar he was playing all night. Do you think SOS would work on his guitar?

Doesn't it scratch?

Thank you.

Editor's Note: I wouldn't use it on a guitar, it will ruin the finish. You could try a magic eraser, it is slightly abrasive but not as much, then polish the place where you have cleaned. (11/26/2007)

By Marla

Removing Hair Dye From Wood

It worked great. I was concerned until I read it wouldn't scratch. Well the hair dye came up with a little elbow grease and it didn't scratch. My husband will not grumble every time he goes to the bathroom now.
      Thank you again. (11/29/2007)

By Linda

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
      Home and Garden Cleaning StainsOctober 19, 2011
      A woman dyeing her hair at home.
      Removing Hair Dye from a Linoleum or Vinyl Floor
      Up close photo of red, wavy hair.
      Homemade Hair Dye Recipes
      Sink with hair dye stains
      Removing Hair Dye from a Bathroom Sink
      Red Hair Dye
      Removing Hair Dye Stains from a Bathtub
      © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 4, 2016 at 7:05:56 PM on 10.0.1.56 in 423 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.