Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Removing Hair Dye from Wood

0 0EmailFollow
Pin It
Young woman dyeing her hair.

Dyeing your hair at home can save you a lot of money. However, sometimes there are accidents. A common unexpected outcome of the home dye job is stains on the woodwork or cabinetry. This is a guide about removing hair dye from wood.

Here are questions related to Removing Hair Dye from Wood.

Question: Removing Hair Dye from Wood Cabinet

When I dyed my hair the plastic bottle went flying, and spattered the side of my bathroom wood cabinet.

By Marion H.

Question: Removing Dye Stains on Wood Cabinet

What is the best way to get black dye stains off a bathroom wood cabinet that is a very light wood?

By Marion from Parsippany, NJ

Most Recent Answer

By Phoenix H.02/22/2014

I was in the same exact predicament just a few hours ago. I had just dyed my hair dark brown and it got on my cabinets. It had stained really badly and it was very noticeable. All I did was take an old fingernail file and file the spot, then I wiped over it with a wet cloth and it was as good as new (:This method is very good on stains that have been very set in. Hope this helps. ^.^

Question: Removing Colored Hair Spray from Painted Window Ledge

I left a can of hot pink hair spray on my window ledge and didn't realize it had leaked for the longest time. (It was laying on it's side) and I am unsure on how to remove it. How can you remove it without causing damage to the ledge?

By Anna from Paris, TX

Most Recent Answer

By Carrol M.02/17/2014

Try using rubbing alcohol or white vinegar. The alcohol works great for regular hairspray.

Question: Removing Hair Dye from Wood Cabinets

How can I clean off brown hair dye from my wood cabinets that have a clear coat on them?

By Karisa

Question: Removing Hair Dye from Cabinets

When I dyed my hair, I found the dark hair dye dripped onto the light oak cabinet door. It was too late when I noticed the stain. How can I remove the dye stain? The cabinets are only 3 months old and I am sick over this.

By Karen K

Question: Removing Black Hair Dye Spots on Light Wood Table

There are black drops of dye on my light wood table. How do I remove them?

Thank you in advance. I just love this site.

By Marion

Most Recent Answer

By marion [6]11/28/2011

Thank you so much for solutions for Hair Dye on light wood table. A soapy brillo or sos pad was the only thing that worked. Thank you again.

Question: Removing Hair Dye from Wood

How do I remove dark hair dye off a light colored wood with out removing the paint?

By manager

Most Recent Answer

By Louise B. [5]11/07/2011

If the dye has stained the wood, you may be stuck with it. If the paint is good quality, you should be able to wash the dye off with something like Dawn dishwashing soap. If the dye has stained the paint, and by that I mean, combined chemically with it, you will not be able to get it off. However, I have no problem with staining on towels that I use when I dye my hair. The hair dye washes right out in the laundry.

Question: Hair Dye Stains on Cabinets

How do I get dark hair dye stains off my light wood bathroom cabinets without damaging them?

By CVB

Most Recent Answer

By Karen H. [10]06/05/2011

You could try Magic Eraser by Mr.Clean-it worked for me.Can buy off brands at dollar stores too,like I do & they also worked for me. Good luck. : )

Question: Removing Hair Dye From Wood

How do I get hair dye out of wood bathroom cabinet? It's light maple with black hair dye. Ugh!

By Rose

Most Recent Answer

By Sally [15]07/16/2013

(Submitted via email)

Works great! Billie

Question: Removing Hair Dye from Furniture with a Beeswax Finish

How do I get hair dye out of beeswaxed wood? It is dark brown dye on light wood. First, I accidentally left kitchen cleaner on the dye which increased the area of stain. Then I tried scrubbing with baking soda and vinegar as suggested on your site, but now it looks worse than ever.

I think some of the surface wax is coming off. I can't leave it like this. I also read you can use lemon juice and vinegar. You can try to sandpaper it out, but I am worried these solutions will only make it worse again. Any ideas? Please help.

By Belle from KY

Question: Hair Dye on Wood Trim

How do you remove Hair Dye from your wood trim or cabinets in your bathroom?

Kathryn from Wisconsin

Most Recent Answer

By Jennifer [9]12/14/2006

Most likely have to sand and restain.
That's what I ended up doing years ago. But Home Depot might have a product that might do the trick. I'd go to a home improvement store first. It's always a good idea.
Jennifer CA

Solutions: Removing Hair Dye from Wood

Do you have knowledge about this guide topic? Feel free to share a solution!

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Removing Hair Dye From Wood

How do I get hair dye off of my wooden mirror?

Thanks,

Cooke

RE: Removing Hair Dye From Wood

Use SOS Lemon Cleaner it gets out really tough stains, it works, trust me! (09/17/2004)

RE: Removing Hair Dye From Wood

Wow... that SOS really works on removing hair dye out of wood! Thanks. (02/02/2005)

Hair gel from sofas

Has anyone got any ideas on how to remove hair gel from sofa's? My son regularly likes to sleep on the sofa with his greasy head. It has caused a lot of upset with other occupants in the house! Any suggestions URGENTLY REQUIRED! Editor's Note: We posted this as a new request: http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf551034.tip.html (04/03/2005)

By John

RE: Removing Hair Dye From Wood

What is sos? (11/24/2005)

By Tanya

RE: Removing Hair Dye From Wood

S.O.S. are soap pads, either steel wool or a scrubby plastic, with soap in them so when you get them wet, they get nice and sudsy. Susan from ThriftyFun (11/24/2005)

By ThriftyFun

RE: Removing Hair Dye From Wood

MAGIC ERASER AND WATER!!! WORKS LIKE A CHARM (01/08/2007)

By melanie

RE: Removing Hair Dye From Wood

Wow that S.O.S stuff really works. I recommend it to everyone. It really works and there were no scratches or discoloration on my wood floor. Yay =] (08/29/2007)

By Nimra

RE: Removing Hair Dye From Wood

Thank you for this tip. I dyed my daughter's hair and there were horrible dark brown stains on the wood floor. I tried all kinds of tricks to get it off from white vinegar to 401 cleaner. Nothing helped one bit until I found this site. Within 10 seconds of scrubbing with an SOS pad I could see it was working! Thank you so much. (10/20/2007)

By Rich

RE: Removing Hair Dye From Wood

Thank god for these tips....SOS saved the day it took only a few seconds and the hardwood looks awesome, hair dye gone.. lol "phew".(10/27/2007)

By miranda

RE: Removing Hair Dye From Wood

My husband was wearing a black jacket and the dye stained a part of his guitar he was playing all night. Do you think SOS would work on his guitar?

Doesn't it scratch? Thank you. Editor's Note: I wouldn't use it on a guitar, it will ruin the finish. You could try a magic eraser, it is slightly abrasive but not as much, then polish the place where you have cleaned. (11/26/2007)

By Marla

RE: Removing Hair Dye From Wood

It worked great. I was concerned until I read it wouldn't scratch. Well the hair dye came up with a little elbow grease and it didn't scratch. My husband will not grumble every time he goes to the bathroom now. Thank you again. (11/29/2007)

By Linda

Archive: Removing Hair Dye From Wood

Removing hair dye from wood?

jbovis from Seattle, WA

RE: Removing Hair Dye From Wood

SOS totally works! Even on old stains, Thank you! (12/09/2007)

By Jenny

RE: Removing Hair Dye From Wood

This really works. Put Jif's lemon juice (the one you use on pancakes) and white vinegar in a bowl then get a sponge and scrub where your hair dye is. I did it and it worked. (02/16/2008)

By Alex

RE: Removing Hair Dye From Wood

The Mr. clean magic eraser worked great! in less than a minute the stain was gone and my wood floor looks good. Thanks. (03/26/2008)

By Gale

RE: Removing Hair Dye From Wood

I used a regular SOS pad on mine and it worked like a charm. Thank you! (04/10/2008)

By Anna M.

RE: Removing Hair Dye From Wood

An SOS pad did nothing, but take the paint off. Thanks. (10/02/2008)

By Erin

RE: Removing Hair Dye From Wood

Took a lot of elbow grease, but the combination of baking soda and vinegar did work well! (02/03/2009)

By NancyQ

RE: Removing Hair Dye From Wood

Baking soda and vinegar worked great. It didn't remove finish. It took a while. I put on rubber gloves and worked baking soda and vinegar paste into the grain of the wood w/ my fingers, then sprayed with vinegar and wiped clean. I had to do it several times. You can't see any sign of stain or discoloration from scrubbing. Thanks. I didn't think it would come out! (02/08/2009)

By Acorn Noel Choir

RE: Removing Hair Dye From Wood

Wow, I never knew hand sanitizer would take off the stains, genius people, seriously thanks. :) (07/05/2010)

By cassieecakess

Archive: Removing Hair Dye From Wood

How do I remove hair dye from wood table surface?

By Norienna from Bowie, MD