Browsing: Removing Hair Dye from Wood

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Removing Hair Dye from Wood

Dyeing your hair at home can save you a lot of money. However, sometimes there are accidents. A common unexpected outcome of the home dye job is stains on the woodwork or cabinetry. This is a guide about removing hair dye from wood.

Young woman dyeing her hair.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

January 25, 2014 Flag

What is the best way to get black dye stains off a bathroom wood cabinet that is a very light wood?

By Marion from Parsippany, NJ

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

I was in the same exact predicament just a few hours ago. I had just dyed my hair dark brown and it got on my cabinets. It had stained really badly and it was very noticeable. All I did was take an old fingernail file and file the spot, then I wiped over it with a wet cloth and it was as good as new (:This method is very good on stains that have been very set in. Hope this helps. ^.^

Best Answer

Hello! I feel like a just created actual magic!!! Blue dye that was somewhere on the towel that i had under my coloring area in the bathroom, got moved to the unfinished hardwood floors!!!

** Magic RECIPE: bleach spray(bathroom type), baking soda to cover stain, and then alcohol on top.

I suppose i dont know what specifically brought it up, but i ran a clean cloth over the pile and MAGIC it was gone!!

Also did this again the next day, after i swept and discovered another blue hair dye speckle.

Magic i say! I am amazed, thought i would be ripping up the unfinished hardwood floor!

thanks,

i used Mr. Clean magic eraser.. works great!

Thank you

November 15, 2015 Flag

I really like the idea of some of the suggestions. I have no SOS pads so I used the curly metal pot cleaners from the dollar store. Norwex also makes them. I used them with rubbing alcohol. Gently rub along the grain of the wood, not against it. The dye came off instantly

package of steel scrubbers

May 20, 2015 Flag

I just did this and it worked perfectly! Use nail polish remover, a Brillo pad and makeup remover wipes. After you are done, go over the area with wood floor cleaner to make it shine. You would never know there was hair dye on the wood. There was so much of it before I cleaned it this way.

November 3, 2011 Flag

How do I remove dark hair dye off a light colored wood with out removing the paint?

By manager

If the wood wasn't sealed then I would suggest you stain it the color of the dye.

If the dye has stained the wood, you may be stuck with it. If the paint is good quality, you should be able to wash the dye off with something like Dawn dishwashing soap. If the dye has stained the paint, and by that I mean, combined chemically with it, you will not be able to get it off. However, I have no problem with staining on towels that I use when I dye my hair. The hair dye washes right out in the laundry.

After failed attempts trying to use color remover for skin and trying to use nail polish remover on my wooden steps, I was beyond surprised that Dawn dishwashing soap and a brillo pad actually got my black hair dye out. It takes some good scrubbing but it worked. Hope this helps!

July 9, 2014 Flag

When I dyed my hair the plastic bottle went flying, and spattered the side of my bathroom wood cabinet.

By Marion H.

I got hair dye on my hardwood floors earlier tonight. My DH and I used OxyClean powder. We sprinkled the powder on the spots and added a tiny bit of water then scrubbed it with an abrasive dish pad. It took a little elbow grease but it worked like a charm and it didn't discolor my wood at all! The trick is to not add too much water. The more abrasive, the better. Hope this helps...good luck!

January 25, 2014 Flag

I left a can of hot pink hair spray on my window ledge and didn't realize it had leaked for the longest time. (It was laying on it's side) and I am unsure on how to remove it. How can you remove it without causing damage to the ledge?

By Anna from Paris, TX

Try using rubbing alcohol or white vinegar. The alcohol works great for regular hairspray.

October 30, 2010 Flag

How do I get hair dye out of wood bathroom cabinet? It's light maple with black hair dye. Ugh!

By Rose

I tried the SOS Pad, it works. You definitely have to use elbow greese, but it works! Thank you so much!

Rivkah

(Submitted via email)

Works great! Billie

November 24, 2011 Flag

There are black drops of dye on my light wood table. How do I remove them?

Thank you in advance. I just love this site.

By Marion

Thank you so much for solutions for Hair Dye on light wood table. A soapy brillo or sos pad was the only thing that worked. Thank you again.

June 2, 2011 Flag

How do I get dark hair dye stains off my light wood bathroom cabinets without damaging them?

By CVB

You could try Magic Eraser by Mr.Clean-it worked for me.Can buy off brands at dollar stores too,like I do & they also worked for me. Good luck. : )

Load More
Home and Garden Cleaning StainsOctober 19, 2011
A woman dyeing her hair at home.
Removing Hair Dye from a Linoleum or Vinyl Floor
Up close photo of red, wavy hair.
Homemade Hair Dye Recipes
Sink with hair dye stains
Removing Hair Dye from a Bathroom Sink
Red Hair Dye
Removing Hair Dye Stains from a Bathtub
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 26, 2016 at 5:21:12 AM on 10.0.0.252 in 5 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.