Browsing: Craft Ideas Using Buttons

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Craft Ideas Using Buttons

Buttons whether vintage, new from the craft store, or those salvaged from clothing before cutting into rags, make a great crafting item. You can use them as an embellishment or design the craft around the use of buttons. This is a guide about craft ideas using buttons.

A sock puppet with a button for a nose.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

April 14, 2010 Flag

With some round disks, buttons, a drill, and a wooden placard, you can make this wonderful wall hanging for a gift or to keep.

Button wall hanging.

January 1, 2012 Flag

What can I do with 5000 mixed buttons? I like to make craft items to sell for charity. Has anyone any ideas please? Thanking you.

By Ann

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

I have seen directions different places online that tell how to make necklaces and bracelets with buttons. You can also cut thin cardboard to the desired shape and cut a piece of ribbon to length and glue it to the top, then glue flat buttons to the cardboard and use as tree ornaments. The shape I have seen most often for this, is a heart shape.

I have made several button bracelets with both shank and flat buttons. (Directions are posted on here.) You might also check out 'Pinterest'. I have seen some good ideas at that site for using buttons.

May 16, 2016 Flag

This is a guide about making a button brooch. You can make pretty brooches using old recycled buttons or new ones purchased for the project.

Making a Button Brooch

May 4, 2016 Flag

This is a guide about making a button tree. Make a pretty decoration for your home or to give as a gift, with a Styrofoam or paper cone and your choice of buttons and other decorative bits.

Making a Button Tree

May 4, 2016 Flag

This is a guide about making a dish out of buttons. This button dish is fun to make and display.

Making a Dish Out of Buttons

May 4, 2016 Flag

This is a guide about making button bobby pins. Create your own unique bobby pins by adding buttons of your choice.

Making Button Bobby Pins

May 4, 2016 Flag

This is a guide about making a button gift box. Buttons can be used in so many crafts. Decorate a small box with buttons and other items, if desired, to make a unique gift box.

Making a Button Gift Box

November 25, 2010 Flag

Chocker made from buttons and beads.Recycle mismatched and extra buttons to make this unique choker; a wonderful gift that costs less than a dollar to make!

Approximate Time: 15 minutes

Instructions:

1. Cut hemp cord to length of 2 yards.
  2. Double cord and make an overhand knot at the folded end, leaving a loop large enough to fit button to be used as clasp at very end through.
  3. String beads and buttons alternately, "sewing" cord through buttons in a vertical line so that one piece of the hemp goes over and through one side of the button while the other does so simultaneously; this gives the piece stability.
  4. At the very end of the choker, tie a square knot before and after the button to be used as the "clasp," reinforce knots with super glue if desired; show off your new piece of jewelry!

By Brianna from Dutch Harbor, AK

May 19, 2009 Flag

Buttons made into a heart shaped pin.This is a pin I made from saved pearl type buttons. It is very easy. Use any buttons that you have cut off clothes. The white pearl buttons are easy to find. Use different sizes to keep it interesting but fairly close in size.

First cut out a piece of tightly woven cotton fabric in a heart shape that is approximately 3 by 2-1/2 inches. If you wish, you might put some fray check on the edges to keep from fraying or some clear fingernail polish would work also.

Starting from the middle sew on the buttons snugly, keeping the fabric cupped so that when you are done you have a 3-D dimension. Then when all done, glue a piece of matching felt on the back and on that glue on a pin fastener. With the right jewelry findings, you could also make a necklace of it.

By Elaine from IA

March 14, 2006 Flag

Fun Uses for Buttons: Buttons make great wall decorations or plates in doll houses. You can string them together to make a button bracelet. Substitute them for lost game pieces or use them as poker chips.

Read more creative uses for buttons below and feel free to post your own ideas.

you could make a model of a really tiny car (possibly a chariot) and use buttons as miniature wheels! The other uses of buttons are endless but another of my favorites is to grind the button down to make a kind of powder! depending on the color of button the powder will vary!

white:salt! etc!

I crochet book strings and sometimes use buttons as the bottom weight, rather than beads.

Read More Answers...

November 8, 2006 Flag

I have a large assortment of lovely buttons, many of them matching, and I wondered if anyone had a craft idea on how to use them?

Noreen from Dover, PA

last valentines day i made victorian style hearts as presents for people, i cut out heart shapes x 2 from red felt, stuffed with cotton wool, glued the edges together, glued white gathered/ ruffle lace trim all the way round the heart , then glued on buttons all over in a pearly king/queen style , glued a ribbon bow at the bottom and sewed a ribbon loop at the top for hanging , they took minutes to make but every 1 ood and ahhed over them it really looks very pretty.

carol

ps if u want to know about the pearly kings and queens lol thats another story altogether!

I love knitting. At the moment, I'm working on an afghan that's 185 stitches across on size 9 needles using 4 strands of yarn at a time. Sometimes I might come to the end of a ball in the middle of a row and I have to add another ball to keep going. Some knitters weave the tail ends in as they go. But I just tie the two ends together. Wherever these tied ends appear, I push the tails through to the back. Once I'm done knitting the afghan I go hunting for large unusual buttons. I then sew these buttons to right side of the afghan, making sure I catch the yarn tails in the sewing from the button. It looks very effective to see plain knitting with random odd buttons all over the front of the afghan. And because I use large balls of wool, there's not so many tails that the afghan is overwhelmed with buttons. I have received many compliments on how the afghans look with this detail on them.

Read More Answers...

September 13, 2012 Flag

What kind of paste would I use to put old buttons on the back of a hand mirror and do I paint it first?

September 16, 2008 Flag

I love buttons! I also save lots of things you might consider junk, which I re-use to make beautiful household items and jewelry, like my button and earring trees.

Buttons decorate Styrofoam trees.

Load More
Crafts MiscellaneousFebruary 12, 2012
Vintage Button Cover
Protecting Delicate or Vintage Buttons in the Wash
Many Colorful Buttons
Saving Money on Buttons
Sewing on Buttons for Crafts, threading needle with white thread.
Sewing Buttons On Crafts
Closeup of Sewing Buttons On Clothing
Sewing Buttons On Clothing
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 21, 2016 at 11:35:49 PM on 10.0.0.143 in 5 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.