Craft Ideas Using Buttons

Buttons whether vintage, new from the craft store, or those salvaged from clothing before cutting into rags, make a great crafting item. You can use them as an embellishment or design the craft around the use of buttons. This is a guide about craft ideas using buttons.

January 19, 2017 Flag

finished button magnet

CommentPin It!Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Finding crafts to make from buttons in your stash or an especially nice one you bought for just the right project is a common event. One quick easy craft is a magnet. This is a guide about making button magnets.

November 25, 2010 Flag

Recycle mismatched and extra buttons to make this unique choker; a wonderful gift that costs less than a dollar to make!

Approximate Time: 15 minutes

Instructions:

1. Cut hemp cord to length of 2 yards.
  2. Double cord and make an overhand knot at the folded end, leaving a loop large enough to fit button to be used as clasp at very end through.
  3. String beads and buttons alternately, "sewing" cord through buttons in a vertical line so that one piece of the hemp goes over and through one side of the button while the other does so simultaneously; this gives the piece stability.
  4. Ad

5. At the very end of the choker, tie a square knot before and after the button to be used as the "clasp," reinforce knots with super glue if desired; show off your new piece of jewelry!

By Brianna from Dutch Harbor, AK

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 1 Comment

May 19, 2009 Flag

This is a pin I made from saved pearl type buttons. It is very easy. Use any buttons that you have cut off clothes. The white pearl buttons are easy to find. Use different sizes to keep it interesting but fairly close in size.

First cut out a piece of tightly woven cotton fabric in a heart shape that is approximately 3 by 2-1/2 inches. If you wish, you might put some fray check on the edges to keep from fraying or some clear fingernail polish would work also.

Starting from the middle sew on the buttons snugly, keeping the fabric cupped so that when you are done you have a 3-D dimension. Then when all done, glue a piece of matching felt on the back and on that glue on a pin fastener. With the right jewelry findings, you could also make a necklace of it.

By Elaine from IA

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

May 16, 2016 Flag

This is a guide about making a button brooch. You can make pretty brooches using old recycled buttons or new ones purchased for the project.

Making a Button Brooch

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

May 4, 2016 Flag

This is a guide about making a dish out of buttons. This button dish is fun to make and display.

Making a Dish Out of Buttons

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

May 4, 2016 Flag

This is a guide about making button bobby pins. Create your own unique bobby pins by adding buttons of your choice.

Making Button Bobby Pins

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

May 4, 2016 Flag

This is a guide about making a button gift box. Buttons can be used in so many crafts. Decorate a small box with buttons and other items, if desired, to make a unique gift box.

Making a Button Gift Box

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

May 4, 2016 Flag

This is a guide about making a button tree. Make a pretty decoration for your home or to give as a gift, with a Styrofoam or paper cone and your choice of buttons and other decorative bits.

Making a Button Tree

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

September 16, 2008 Flag

I love buttons! I also save lots of things you might consider junk, which I re-use to make beautiful household items and jewelry, like my button and earring trees.

Buttons decorate Styrofoam trees.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

November 28, 2011 Flag

This cute framed button art is the perfect gift for a loved one this holiday season. Made with items easily found at most dollar stores.

Button Love Christmas Present - Button Love Christmas Present - button heart in picture frame

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

June 11, 2005 Flag

Decorate with buttons by gluing them to a lamp shade, picture frame, or clock. Use wire cutters to clip off the shank of any buttons that have them.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 27, 2010 Flag

Sew 8 buttons with wire, then sew 3 buttons. Next, sew the 4th button onto the first string, then 3 more buttons.

Translucent button cross.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

May 22, 2014 Flag

Making Button Bulletin Board Pins

This is a guide about making button bulletin board pins. Make the pins or tacks for your bulletin board more fun to use by decorating them with buttons. This is an easy project that children can also work on.

March 20, 2007 Flag

I saw an easy way to decorate your hairdo, put a button (or 2) on a bobby pin to hold back hair at the front!

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

August 8, 2012 Flag

I use buttons for eyes, etc. for toys for my grand people. I affix them with clear nail polish. I also use the larger pretty ones for closures on my purses, totes, and beach bags.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 1, 2012 Flag

What can I do with 5000 mixed buttons? I like to make craft items to sell for charity. Has anyone any ideas please? Thanking you.

By Ann

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

I have seen directions different places online that tell how to make necklaces and bracelets with buttons. You can also cut thin cardboard to the desired shape and cut a piece of ribbon to length and glue it to the top, then glue flat buttons to the cardboard and use as tree ornaments. The shape I have seen most often for this, is a heart shape.

I have made several button bracelets with both shank and flat buttons. (Directions are posted on here.) You might also check out 'Pinterest'. I have seen some good ideas at that site for using buttons.

March 14, 2006 Flag

Fun Uses for Buttons: Buttons make great wall decorations or plates in doll houses. You can string them together to make a button bracelet. Substitute them for lost game pieces or use them as poker chips.

Read more creative uses for buttons below and feel free to post your own ideas.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You can glue or sew them on sweat shirts. A large trangle tree ( all geen or white) with a few odd colored buttons for decorations on the tree and a brown retangle or square at the bottom, for the trunk. White buttons in three circles for a snowman and orange button for nose and black buttons for eyes mouth pipe and front buttons. Some white ones below the snowman for snow on the ground.

You can decorate a flower pot with them.

Glue them or pin them on styrofoam balls for xmas decorations. Glue a lot of green ones on a styroform wreath and glue on a big red bow.

Fill a small jelly canning jar with different buttons, put on the flat lid cover with cotton and a circle of fabric like gingham and then screw on ring ,now you have a pin cushion and spare buttons. Nice gift for a sewer.

"Write" your name or initals on a draw string bag with buttons. Either sew or glue. Now everyone knows it's yours.

Dress up a plain purse or pocketbook with buttons and charms. Got a plain pair of shoes, dress them up with buttons.

I have been collecting buttons(got large canning jars filled with them) and button craft ideas (put them in a note book with page protectors) for a while. They don't seem to carry craft books with button ideas in them anymore.

you could make a model of a really tiny car (possibly a chariot) and use buttons as miniature wheels! The other uses of buttons are endless but another of my favorites is to grind the button down to make a kind of powder! depending on the color of button the powder will vary!

white:salt! etc!

November 8, 2006 Flag

I have a large assortment of lovely buttons, many of them matching, and I wondered if anyone had a craft idea on how to use them?

Noreen from Dover, PA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

A good friend of mine used buttons to put around a long mirror that you put on your bathroom door. It was beautiful. She also used buttons to decorate picture frames.

last valentines day i made victorian style hearts as presents for people, i cut out heart shapes x 2 from red felt, stuffed with cotton wool, glued the edges together, glued white gathered/ ruffle lace trim all the way round the heart , then glued on buttons all over in a pearly king/queen style , glued a ribbon bow at the bottom and sewed a ribbon loop at the top for hanging , they took minutes to make but every 1 ood and ahhed over them it really looks very pretty.

carol

ps if u want to know about the pearly kings and queens lol thats another story altogether!

September 13, 2012 Flag

What kind of paste would I use to put old buttons on the back of a hand mirror and do I paint it first?

By Sally K

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I would use either hot glue or super glue.

If you are asking if you should paint the buttons or the mirror first I would say yes on both unless you want the buttons the same color as the mirror. In that case paint all of it at the same time. You could use elmers glue, a hot glue gun or super glue. All will have the same result. I would expect, whatever glue you use, will be less permanent if you paint the buttons first unless you are only painting one side. And I would suggest, if you are painting the mirror, to leave little spots unpainted where you plan to put the buttons. This way the glue will adhere better/longer.

Just make sure, if you paint the everywhere you plan on putting the buttons, that you let the paint dry really well. Give it a couple days if not a week or more. This way the paint won't absorb the glue and the glue won't have a weaker hold.

February 6, 2011 Flag

Does anyone have any ideas for me how to make jewelry or other items with buttons? I have a huge collection and would love to be able to create some nice things to sell, as I have been out of work for over a year now. Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks.

By Linda from Lower Adirondacks, NY

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

February 6, 2011 Flag

What can I make with the vintage buttons I have collected?

By Jane from NE

Answers:

Crafts Ideas Using Buttons

Sew or glue them to lampshades, greeting cards, scrapbook pages, invitations, curtains, tie backs for curtains, place holders, napkin rings, Christmas ornaments, picture frames, magnets for fridge, or my favorite, jewelry! (09/15/2010)

By wildmint

Crafts Ideas Using Buttons

You can make those fabric flowers using the button as the center of the flower. A lot of people are wearing these flowers like a broach. http://www.tipjunkie.com/fabric-flower-tutorials/ (09/15/2010)

By Bookeesmom

Crafts Ideas Using Buttons

You can also glue them in a multilevel design for decorative lids for just about any kind of box. (09/15/2010)

By Deeli

Crafts Ideas Using Buttons

I make brooches with mine. (09/15/2010)

By isobel44art

RE: Crafts Ideas Using Buttons

Crafts Ideas Using Buttons

I saw the prettiest button wreath made into a shadowbox that had almost every kind of button you could find in it. The mat was heart shaped and the inside was full of beautiful buttons. It was obviously for display purposes, but it is so beautiful.
Good luck.

Gem (09/15/2010)

By maphisx7

Crafts Ideas Using Buttons

I posted a button heart craft on a family website a few months ago, hope this helps:
http://familycrafts.about.com/od/buttons/a/ButtonHeartCraft.htm (09/16/2010)

By Crafty Cat

RE: Crafts Ideas Using Buttons

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Crafts MiscellaneousFebruary 12, 2012
Making Button Bobby Pins
Making Button Bobby Pins
Finished button dish.
Making a Dish Out of Buttons
Making a Button Tree
Making a Button Tree
finished button magnet
Making Button Magnets
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 21, 2017 at 3:21:15 AM on 10.0.0.182 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.