Low-Cost Veterinary Care

I have a cat who needs to see a vet. I can't afford one for her to see, but fear that if she doesn't see one soon, she can meet her demise.

She is about 8 years old, still seemingly healthy, very happy, and very lovable. My main thing is that she is vomiting mostly everyday. We take food away for 24 hours, she stops. We give it back to her, it starts up again.

Who would do the exam and help her out for little or no cost? I am very much in fear for her. I would appreciate any help anyone who knows anything could offer. Thank you very much.

By LP81 from Indy, IN

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

Many many times when cats vomit is is due either to hairballs, or the food they are eating. Hairball stuff is cheap, comes in a tube and is about $5. For the food, change up to a very expensive high quality one. Try the smaller 5# bags first, to see, but usually this will do the trick. Most cat foods are garbage, and the cats puke all the time. I buy 100# of cat food a week (neighbors dumped cats and I am stuck with the bills, and can only afford to spay so many at a time, ridiculous.) Anyways, I can not afford the best stuff for all these cats, and sometimes I do buy the cheapo to get me through, but they usually start puking again.

Right now, for some reason, Red Flannel brand is doing a great job for these cats. I believe it is a by product of Purina, says made for PMI nutrition, but anyways, this one is cheap, $16 for 20#, and works well. But I have kittens here I am trying to tame and place, and needed the best possible for them, so no diarrhea or puking. So choked and spent $33 for a bag of Solid Gold, this stuff is fabulous! Whenever I have a sick kitty, that is the food I buy, expensive but still cheaper than a vet bill.

Last, you can shop around for vets and find out who helps people who do not have enough funds right now. There are some out there, just have to call, make connections and find the right one.

I wish you and kitty the very best!

Dana

Does she vomit shortly after she eats, or at other times? Is it liquid,cat food, hair balls or what? What kind of food does she get,is it dry or wet & what brand?

It could be hair balls like suggested. We had 1 cat that had major constipation problems & the other would cough & throw up. We began giving them Iams hair ball remedy dry food(I think it's a pink bag) & that solved the problem.

Could be the food too. If you give her dry food, look at the ingredients-if the 1st ingredient is corn,get her something else tht has meat(like chicken) as the 1st ingredient-the other stuff is bad for them.

My old kitty for years, has had an occasional problem with throwing up shortly after eating. I don't know why, except maybe he eats too fast then drinks a bunch of water, but he'll eat & within 20 min or so he'll throw everything up.

Some cats gorge (overeat) and this causes them to vomit. Try small feedings throughout the day and see if that helps. Gorgers are really bad if they are fed "free choice" (food available at all times). You may also want look into raw feeding. There is good information on the internet and it is less expensive. Many cats who have constant indigestion clear up with raw feeding.

My kitty did the same thing and come to find out she had a tumor and it had gone all over her, she would eat and throw up. Try to get help for her as soon as you can.

I have the same problem, though I managed to borrow the money for an office visit. My cat who was a stray, I took her and her two 6 week old kittens in which she deposited on my doorstep 2 months ago.

The kittens are doing fine, but starting yesterday the mother is throwing up every time she eats. Now she won't eat. Plus she's had diarrhea. I am going to take her to the vet tomorrow, but my concern is I won't be able to afford the treatment if it's anything serious.

That only leaves two options to me. Euthanisa which I probably can't afford either, or just taking her home and watching her waste away and die. I am so stressed and upset. I am a woman fighting cancer and this is not good for me. I feel for all you others that have the same problem.

Add your voice! Click below to comment on this post or add your answer to this question. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom.

October 18, 2011 Flag

Dog with scarf on her head.I have a dog that I have had for 11 years. She has a problem with her bladder. She needs to pee all the time and sometimes has blood in it. I am looking for a vet that is in my area that works with low income families. My husband has recently been laid off and I work as a bartender. We are having a problem even making rent. Please help me!

By Cindy G.

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have often heard that the ASPCA is available for low cost pet health care. However, I have never tried it. I did see on an episode of Animal Cops on Animal Planet, that a woman received low-cost care for her dog from the ASPCA. She did not have to give him up. She did not "just" adopt him. She lived in the city. I forget which one. But she took him in and they treated him.

The following two links will give you some good information!

Good luck!

http://www.rescuinganimalsinneed.org/financial_help.htm

http://www.humanesociety.org/animal ... ouble_affording_veterinary_care.html

You have gotten some good feedback. Please post again for everyone to see if you have found no help, list your state and county the next time too. Cindy, I hope everything is looking a little sunnier each day for you and your dog.

I wish you lots of luck on this. I have been through the same thing, in fact am now I have an 11 year old Yorkie and am on disability. We grow to love our furbabies just like children. God bless you and your beautiful dog. Sometimes I just pray that my baby will go to sleep easily, and God will take care of him.

Read More Answers...

October 24, 2012 Flag

My kitten may have a broken leg. I don't have hardly any money due to taking care of family member. I need some humane advice on how I can get help for my kitten.

By Kim

Contact your local humane society and ASPCA, maybe even local shelters-if there is low cost care available they will be able to tell you where. Years ago I was adopted by a kitten, and was pretty low-income. Couldn't turn my back on my kitty so I called around and at the time there was a local clinic that charged fees on a sliding scale (income based). I was able to keep him healthy and even get him fixed for a small amount. Best wishes and hugs for your kitty!

August 29, 2011 Flag

Is there any vet for little or no cost for cats? My Spirit is really breathing hard like her sides are caving in and she is coughing and has lost weight. I am very worried about her and she needs help.

By Janet B

I'm sorry about your situation. Have you tried contacting your local animal rescue orginazation? They might be able to recommend a vet they use at low cost if your income is low. I hope everything goes well.

Many Vets now will allow payments over a period of time. They will work with you if you dont have much to spend. Call around til you find a vet who will take payents. Dont take too long to do it. It sounds like your cat is in trouble and needs to be seen immediately.

In the future put aside a small amount each month (even if it is just $5) so you have something when you need it for your cat.

September 1, 2010 Flag

***

Low-Cost Veterinary Care
***

I have a 4 1/2 year old Cocker Spaniel that needs ear surgery. Is there anyone in MD that can offer assistance at a reasonable price or perhaps that will take payments? I have worked since I was 16 (now 59) and have been laid off from my job of 28 years due to downsizing. My boy needs his ears taken care of and I'm at the end of my rope. Can someone please help me?

By Mary from Sykesville, MD

Answers:

Low-Cost Veterinary Care

Call your local Humane Society and ask them for referrals or even vouchers. You can also call local vets and see if your boy can receive care by an intern there. Our vet offers some lower-cost care when procedures are done by interns, always witnessed by the MD. Good luck to you and your boy! (03/10/2010)

By tahloolabelle

Low-Cost Veterinary Care

Does your husband work on cars? Can you or your husband build custom cages? Can you offer house cleaning or can you offer to work for 2 weeks or more cleaning pet cages or can you go into the vet and mop their floors for a month? These are just ideas, you'll need to come up with you own ideas. I would print a list of things you could do for the vet and include your phone number and e-mail and what your pet needs done. Then take (or send) your list of barter options and ideas around to every vet in your area and see if any of your local vets will trade services with you.

It would be better if you could take your pet in his crate with you and deliver these "Offers to Barter" (or lists of things you can do for the vet) around personally and not mail them in! This way you can develop a personal relationship with the vet's receptionist.

Also, you could offer to man a booth advertising or working for the vet at some of the Pet Fairs in the area that are done to get donations for the Humane Society and other county pet (free spay-neuter) agencies. Many vets don't have the time to go to these, but if they don't show up, sometimes the agencies will take them off of their free voucher list. This is how my vet got taken off of the free spay-neuter voucher list for our county, they worked so much that they didn't have the time to go to the fund raiser.

Also, contact the Humane Society in you area. Some have a fund to help animals.

* Important: You don't want this to cost you vet anything! So offer to pay the cost of the anesthesia and for any of his or her tools. You are bartering "only" for services! (I did this when I got my tooth crowned. I paid for the actual cost of the crown and bartered for the dentist's time so it cost me $300 instead of $1200. (03/10/2010)

By Cyinda

Low-Cost Veterinary Care

Is there a veterinary school nearby? Sometimes they will treat an animal for little or no cost if they are doing a research study. (03/11/2010)

By Julie45

Low-Cost Veterinary Care

In Baltimore the local ASPCA just started a low cost clinic in May 2010. It's at www.hampdenpethealth.org the number is 410-400-WELL
(06/17/2010)

By Bunnyday

March 10, 2010 Flag

I live in Albany, NY. Where can I go for free or low cost veterinary care for my cat?

By shimshim from Albany, NY

January 26, 2010 Flag

I take care of an 8 year old condominium cat that belongs to everyone. I need a low cost vet in my area that also does lab work. Thank you.

By Gneo from Torrance, CA

Answers:

Low-Cost Veterinary Care

My heart goes out to your cat friend. You can try on the net, low cost vet organizations, Torrance, California. There are some things listed. If no results then maybe a picture of friend and a box for donations with a heartfelt explanation, describing what your friend needs to keep friend healthy. God Bless.

Pamela. (12/11/2009)

By PamelaW

Low-Cost Veterinary Care

I would contact your local ASPCA and tell them what you're doing and what you need for help. I am pretty darn positive they will give you the advice and direction you need. It might just be them that personally help. (12/14/2009)

By Deeli

Low-Cost Veterinary Care

Call shelters in your area and see if they offer low-cost veterinary services or can make a recommendation. (12/15/2009)

By cowpunkgal

December 11, 2009 Flag

I want to find a free vet clinic or very low cost vet for my cat in my area. She is an approximately 15 year old black Calico and has dropped weight and just stopped eating for the last few weeks.

May 10, 2009 Flag

I have a dog that is bloated and is short of breath all the time. I am trying to find free or low-cost vet care in my area.

March 4, 2009 Flag
Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.
Cute puppy with vet in background.
Saving Money on Veterinary Expenses
Pets HealthSeptember 1, 2010
Bunny Losing Its Fur
Bunny Losing Its Fur
low salt recipes
Low Sodium Recipes
Bowl of plain  yogurt.
Low Fat Yogurt Recipes
Protein Powder
Low Carb Low Protein Powder for Breakfast Shakes
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 21, 2016 at 4:07:29 PM on 10.0.1.121 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.