Browsing: Peeling Hard Boiled Eggs

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Peeling Hard Boiled Eggs

Hard boiled eggs are a delicious protein rich snack and an ingredient in many recipes. However, sometimes rather than a cleanly peeled egg you are left with a mess of ragged egg white stuck to the shell. This is a guide about peeling hard boiled eggs.

Two brown eggs, one peeled part way, on white background.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

March 31, 2015 Flag

I always struggle to peel the shells off my hard-boiled eggs. I've tried so many tips. I recently saw a video of someone trying this trick. I thought it was a hoax but tried it any way. It works!

Here's what you do: Once you have boiled your eggs, take a smallish jar that an egg can fit into. (Alternatively, I also saw one guy use a drinking glass and put his hand over the top). Add about an inch of water. Plop in the egg. Put the lid on. Shake your jar about 20 times, pretty hard. You may want to do this over the sink, in case the jar leaks water. Take off the lid and the peel will be barely hanging on. Just slip it off. It doesn't even take any of the egg white with it. My eggs were perfect for Deviled Eggs.

Peel Hard-boiled Eggs QuicklyPeel Hard-boiled Eggs QuicklyA hard boiled egg being peeled.Peel Hard-boiled Eggs Quickly

Source: I can't find the video I saw. Sorry!

December 7, 2015 Flag

Years ago when I cooked a lot, I read a tip for preventing eggs from cracking while being boiled. The method was simple; punch a hole in one end of the eggs with a pin before dropping them into the water. This method works very well.Peeling Boiled Eggs

I did learn that often a small amount of egg white would ooze out through the hole and cook there, still attached to the egg. I found this could be prevented by using the smallest pin possible. I use a tiny silk pin, no more oozing white.

Along the way, I stopped using this method because I place the eggs in cold water, and heat it to boiling very slowly. So, cracked eggs were not a problem.

Recently, I've been developing a recipe for spinach salad with chopped boiled eggs, shredded cheddar cheese, crumbled bacon, Ranch dressing and, sometimes chopped black olives. I have the recipe just about the way I want it.

Anyway, I've been using a lot of fresh, boiled eggs, lately. They have been very difficult to peel, even when using some of the best tips on ThriftyFun. The last time I boiled a dozen eggs, I was in a hurry, so I pierced each egg with a silk pin before boiling.

Unbelievable. Not only did none of the eggs crack, every one peeled more easily than ever before! I tried this method with hot boiled eggs and also with boiled eggs that had been refrigerated. Worked great both times.

I don't know how the hole makes for easier peeling, but it certainly does. Try it.

Note: I always peel my eggs under running water. Once water gets between the shell membrane and the egg, the shell slides off easily, sometimes in as little as three or four large pieces.

March 23, 2010 Flag

When peeling hardboiled eggs, roll eggs on center divider of sink under cold running water. Squeezing the egg with your hands. The shell will peel off easily and the membrane holds the shell almost whole.

Peeling Hard Boiled Eggs

September 17, 2010 Flag

Peeling boiled eggs is my least favorite chore in the kitchen. I don't like to get the egg shells under my nails. A friend taught me a neat trick several years ago.

Peeling Eggs

February 16, 2012 Flag

When I peel hard boiled eggs the shell comes away with some of the white and looks awful, how can I stop this happening? I have tried peeling in cold water and hot and rolling the egg first, but nothing seems to work. The shell just goes brittle and comes off in little bits.

By ROZJUNE from UK

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

1. Place eggs in pan and cover with water; add a generous teaspoon salt. Boil to your preference. I prefer well done so I gently boil about 8-10 minutes.

2. Remove from heat, drain and run cold water over them until they cool.

3. Roll gently to loosen all the shell and just peel away.

*if you prefer, you can skip step 3 and just put in the fridge until you feel like peeling them later. :0)

Read More Answers...

June 6, 2011 Flag

For quick and easy clean up when peeling hard boiled egg, lay a piece of cling wrap on the kitchen bench before you start to peel the eggs. Then when you have peeled the eggs, just throw the peel and wrap in the bin.

February 22, 2011 Flag

How do I peel a hard boiled egg without it sticking to the egg white, and taking it off with it? I have never been able to do this without ruining the eggs. Also, these are fresh eggs, not store bought, does that make a difference?

By Dixie from Lubbock, TX

My Uncle taught me this trick years ago...add a couple tablespoons of salt ( I add about 3 tablespoons) to the water before boiling the eggs, then boil eggs as you always do with the added salt of course, then as soon as they are done,drain them,then in the same pan shake eggs around to crack the shells,add cold water & peel, I swear they will peel right off!

Read More Answers...

April 29, 2011 Flag

We just made a big batch of deviled eggs from my leftover Easter eggs. When we were peeling them, a few of the eggs had the white stuck to the shell so badly that they cracked in big pieces right to the yolk. Other eggs were fine.

I cooked 18 eggs in a stockpot, covered in water. I brought that to a boil then simmered for 15 minutes (directions from BHandG cookbook). I ran cold water into the pot, but I don't think I let it get all the way to cold, maybe more room temperature. We took the eggs from the sink directly to be dyed. I'm wondering if maybe the problem eggs didn't get cool fast enough.

Thanks so much for any advice you might have for me. I generally make hardboiled eggs at Easter and maybe once in the summer, so I don't get a lot of practice.

By Jessica from Hillsboro, OR

I found steaming the eggs works better for peeling them. I place the eggs in the top of a steamer, cover, and when the water below comes to a boil I lower the heat and gently steam them for about 15 minutes. Have a large pan of ice cold water ready. After they cook I then take a wooden spoon and bang the eggs in the steamer to crack the shells then immediatelly toss them into the cold water. Then I continue to crack the shells under the water against the side of the pan. That allows water to get between the shell and egg. They are then very easy to peel.

Read More Answers...

April 19, 2012 Flag

Instead of spending several minutes peeling each boiled egg, just cut them in half with a sharp knife and scoop out the egg with a spoon. This is so much faster when you plan on cutting them up anyway.

February 4, 2013 Flag

To make boiled eggs very easy to peel, add a teaspoon of table salt to your cold water. If you are boiling a lot of eggs for deviled eggs, I would use at least a Tbsp. of salt.

February 2, 2007 Flag

Hard boiled eggs will peel easily if cracked and placed in cold water immediately after taking out of the hot water.

October 17, 2011 Flag

My husband loves hard boiled eggs for a quick, healthier, more than normal snack. With time, I've tried other tips I've read about concerning hard boiled eggs and would like to share my recent discovery.

April 28, 2010 Flag

When boiling hard boiled eggs, try this. After boiling is completed, pour off boiling water and fill with cold water. Fill pan with ice cubes and let set 15 minutes. The shells will slip right off, no mess, no fuss. The ice cubes are a life saver and a time saver.

March 1, 2006 Flag

After cooking, fill boiler with cold water for eggs to cool. Drain off all water. Hold lid on boiler and shake for a minute or two. Most eggshells will be off. Just rinse off the rest...

Load More
Food and Recipes Food Tips EggsAugust 17, 2011
Hardboiled Eggs
Cooking Hard Boiled Eggs
Sandwich With Soft Boiled Eggs
Recipes Using Boiled Eggs
Marking Hard Boiled Eggs
Marking Hard Boiled Eggs
Soft Boiled Egg
Making a Soft Boiled Egg
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 22, 2016 at 2:18:26 AM on 10.0.0.143 in 4 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.