Weight Watchers Diet Exchange Plans

Knowing the amount of different foods you can substitute to maintain your diet plan is important. This guide is about weight watcher's diet exchange plans.

February 4, 2012 Flag

Does anyone have the old Weight Watchers exchange plan info? I think you could eat like 5 starches, 3 proteins, 2 fruits, 2 dairy, etc. a day. I lost 50 pounds on that plan and I'd like to try it again.

By Cheryl O

Hi there, Yes I know it.

It consists of 2,3 fruits; 3+veggies;5,6 proteins; 2-3 bread(starch); 3 fats; 2 milk! I am starting today! I know it works, slowly but, surely!

is this daily?? and how many oz is the protein to be?? how much fat?? this isnt accurate enough.. can you elaborate please?

February 3, 2014 Flag

A number of posters are asking for information on the old Weight Watchers Exchange Program from the 80s. eBay has listings for the Weight Watchers Quick Start PLUS Program Cookbook. Same as mine from 1986, it lists all the information from the Exchange Program. Just type in Weight Watchers Quick Start under cookbooks.

I would like to view the old WW program and visit with others on this program.

My friend really needed to lose weight. He was dangerously obese and I told he we could join weight watchers together because I'd heard of it's great success. It was 1980, and he was a professor and I a journalist and sitting down to eat wasn't always easy. So I joined and used the plan and in a month he lost 40 pounds and I ten. In three months I lost twenty-five and reached my goal and he lost 80. None of his students or faculty recognized him when classes resumed. I would love this same plan to use now. Please let me know where I can get this. I've just lost twenty on my own and have another twenty-five. I turn 65 next month and gained while recuperating from knee pain. I remember the chemistry balance with the specific amount of food types to eat that I have pretty much kept to for past thirty years. Thank you.

January 18, 2011 Flag

I too need the food log for the 80's Weight Watcher exchange program. I made one myself, but it is not as good as what they had. I am still searching here.

I called and canceled my Nutrisystem program this a.m. The food gave me severe stomach cramps and other issues. I just can't tolerate the sugar alcohols and fat free chemicals. I am going back to real food. I need more protein and less carbs than current WW programs; they just don't work. This one does.

By parmstro from TX

I need a copy of this!!!

Please could you send me a copy of this to sarahcrowe at btinternet.com. Many thanks.

May 11, 2011 Flag

I had great success on the old Weight Watchers plan in 1989, if someone can help me with the food list, the exchanges, and what ever else I would need to get started I would appreciate your help more then you would know? To be honest I'm very scared at this point with the unknown.

I became immobile due to my right knee needing to be replaced. I weighed 329 pounds on July 29, 2007 that saved my life. I'm now at 183, however, I had lost down to 155 pounds. I've had a steady weight gain since about October causing me great concern. I've also had a total left hip replacement with a DePuy device which has been recalled, I have high levels of cobalt and chromium in my system. The specialist I've been seeing doesn't seem to know what to do. He just keeps sending me for test upon test, I guess trying to figure out what to do.

I know in the mean time I have felt sick since late June 2010, I'm not sure if it's the stress causing me to gain weight or the fact that I'm becoming immobile again due to the amount of pain I'm in and feeling sick all the time.

I had my right knee replaced, also with a DePuy device, I've continued to be in great pain with this device, and fluid that ponds just below my knee, with pain that shoots down into my shin bone. I keep being told that the x-rays show I'm fine however I know I'm not fine it hurts all the time. I doing my best to live with all of this pain and suffering I'm in.

I feel if I can find the Weight Watchers plan that helped me lose 50 pounds after the birth of my son in 1985 I could lose these extra pounds and keep them off.

Thank you for your time.

By Curious Lady 1961

But how do I figure out what is in the frozen foods they sell now. It only tells the points? Is it possible to do so? I loved the old program too.

Am looking for a copy of the old weight watchers program. the one where you counted , fat, protein, dairy and so on

November 29, 2010 Flag

I'm looking for the Weight Watcher plan. I need information on food exchanges, amount of a serving, the breakdown of allowed exchanges per day for a male 18 yrs. old.

By Dixie from Millstadt, IL

Does anyone have the old point system Book. I have recently put on a few after having a hysterectomy, rather than wait, I decided to go back to WW. I really do not like this new system ( points Plus) I have everything but the book on food points. I really need it :( That program work sooo well for me.

I would love to have the recipe for the Pasta Primavera that was on the booklets during this time. Does anyone have it?

April 30, 2010 Flag

Does anyone have a copy of the Weight Watchers diet from the 1970s that they could share? or know how to find one online? I've lost mine and that diet seemed to work for me back then and the new versions don't now. The new one is too lenient for me. I need the structure of the old diet. Thanks.

By Janet from AR

My Mother and I went together back in the late 60's.

The one thing I remember best was the rules for

breaking a plateau...to get the ball rolling again

after having lost an initial amount of weight then

leveling off.

We ate 2 oz of water-packed tuna at breakfast

along with one-half grapefruit, black coffee, and 1

slice of whole wheat bread. At lunch, we ate a big

green tossed salad with 1 tsp of olive oil and 2 tsp

apple cider vinegar, 4 oz V-8 or tomato juice and

tea (hot or cold) without sugar. Sugar substitute is

OK.

In the evening, (before 6pm), we were allowed to

have the other 3-4 oz of that can of water-packed

tuna fish, 1 slice of whole wheat bread, the other half of grapefruit, a green salad with 1 tsp olive oil and 2 tsp apple cider vinegar, hot tea or coffee.

At bedtime, we could have an 8 oz glass of

low fat skimmed milk or buttermilk. We stayed on that for an entire week, and it would always break that plateau... Losing about 3 pounds for the week, and then any time we felt like we were not losing, we'd go right back on that "crash" diet. It always

worked, but we always gained back what we'd lost in

the long run. I finally decided to just be happy the

way I was...and I've made it to 75...so far. :-) I'm

not done just yet either. Fairly healthy and very

sassy according to my husband.

Hope this is what you're looking for.

Julia in Boca Raton, FL

I think that if you had good luck then, it was about your age...it works better when you are younger because you are more active. As we age, we need a lot more exercise to lose pounds effectively. I would love to lose even 10 pounds but find that the older I get the more difficult it is. I agree with Pookarina, I am getting to the point where it is "take me or leave me."

December 24, 2009 Flag

Does some type of conversion chart exist for the Weight Watchers Points? I prefer the exchange plan and Weight Watchers products in the store always print the points information on the box instead. So I end up searching for other products that still use the exchange system.

In others words, if a dinner or WW frozen treat has 6 points, I need to be able to decipher how that translates into the exchanges. I know that I can read the label for carbs, fat, protein, etc., but if there is a conversion chart it would be quick and easy.

By Satie from SC

I think if you can find how many ounces are in each food group you will then know how many exchanges they are. I.E. if a meal has 3 oz. of meat that wiould equal 3 protein. Same for veggies and starches. I wish they would also go back to the old way and not use the point system. It never worked for me. I think some of the products have the diabetic exchanges inlcuded and you could just use that information.

I can't seem to follow the point system either. I lost 142 lbs on the exchange system. I think it was more structured, and that is what I need now. I wish Weight Watchers would give people a choice.

May 21, 2011 Flag

Weight Watchers used to do the exchange system, but has since changed to the point system. Does anyone know where I can find a conversion tool or chart so I can find out the exchange for the points posted on different products? Thank you!

By Katie K

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Unfortunately, it is not as simple as that. For the new point system, started in January 2011, you really need their materials. You can usually find them on the popular online auction site; (or you can join the program online and never need to go to a meeting). Up until January, there was a mathematical formula you could use that looked at calories/fat/fiber to assign points; so once you figured how many points per day you should allow, it was easy. Now they take into account other values in the foods; and most fruits and veggies have zero points.

If you google "weight watchers points" and similar phrases, you can probably find all the information you need on the previous points program. I am not sure you will find as much for the newer "points plus" program. The older one is still a great program, so you may be happy with that!

You really need to join WW online. Their site has a point calculator and a recipe builder where you enter all the ingredients and it tells you the points per serving. If you can't find the food on the list, it gives you a tool to enter the fiber, fat and protein content and then it converts it for you.

Load More
Food and Recipes Food Tips DietingApril 17, 2013
Pumpkin and Carrot Muffins
Weight Watchers Pumpkin and Carrot Muffins
Weight Watchers Help Scale
Calculating Weight Watchers Point Totals
Yogurt Bread Dough
Weight Watchers Yogurt Bread Dough
Weighing in on Scale
Using Weight Watchers
🎉
🎄