Weight Watchers Diet Exchange Plans

Knowing the amount of different foods you can substitute to maintain your diet plan is important. This guide is about weight watcher's diet exchange plans.

A girl holding a healthy meal in one hand and an unhealthy meal in the other.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

I too need the food log for the 80's Weight Watcher exchange program. I made one myself, but it is not as good as what they had. I am still searching here.

I called and canceled my Nutrisystem program this a.m. The food gave me severe stomach cramps and other issues. I just can't tolerate the sugar alcohols and fat free chemicals. I am going back to real food. I need more protein and less carbs than current WW programs; they just don't work. This one does.

By parmstro from TX

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I need a copy of this!!!

Read More Answers...

I had great success on the old Weight Watchers plan in 1989, if someone can help me with the food list, the exchanges, and what ever else I would need to get started I would appreciate your help more then you would know? To be honest I'm very scared at this point with the unknown.

I became immobile due to my right knee needing to be replaced. I weighed 329 pounds on July 29, 2007 that saved my life. I'm now at 183, however, I had lost down to 155 pounds. I've had a steady weight gain since about October causing me great concern. I've also had a total left hip replacement with a DePuy device which has been recalled, I have high levels of cobalt and chromium in my system. The specialist I've been seeing doesn't seem to know what to do. He just keeps sending me for test upon test, I guess trying to figure out what to do.

I know in the mean time I have felt sick since late June 2010, I'm not sure if it's the stress causing me to gain weight or the fact that I'm becoming immobile again due to the amount of pain I'm in and feeling sick all the time.

I had my right knee replaced, also with a DePuy device, I've continued to be in great pain with this device, and fluid that ponds just below my knee, with pain that shoots down into my shin bone. I keep being told that the x-rays show I'm fine however I know I'm not fine it hurts all the time. I doing my best to live with all of this pain and suffering I'm in.

I feel if I can find the Weight Watchers plan that helped me lose 50 pounds after the birth of my son in 1985 I could lose these extra pounds and keep them off.

Thank you for your time.

By Curious Lady 1961

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Try this used books site. Click on advanced search in the upper right corner to enter weight watchers and the years 1980 to 1990. I found a few titles. Good luck.

http://www.alibris.com

Read More Answers...

I'm looking for the Weight Watcher plan. I need information on food exchanges, amount of a serving, the breakdown of allowed exchanges per day for a male 18 yrs. old.

By Dixie from Millstadt, IL

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read More Answers...

Does anyone have the old Weight Watchers exchange plan info? I think you could eat like 5 starches, 3 proteins, 2 fruits, 2 dairy, etc. a day. I lost 50 pounds on that plan and I'd like to try it again.

By Cheryl O

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

The W.W. exchange plan would be as follows:

Milk -2

Fat - 3

Fruit -2

Veggies - no less than 3

Protein -5

Bread(starchies) - 3-5

Water - 8

Personal Selections(excluding fats) 7-14

Optional Calories - 100 per day

Eggs/Organ meats - 4

Meats and or Cheese - 16( this is red meat/livers, giblets/ tongue/and other assorted icky things.

Do try to eat fish at least 3 times a week.(my thing, less calories and good fats)

Read More Answers...

Does anyone have a copy of the Weight Watchers diet from the 1970s that they could share? or know how to find one online? I've lost mine and that diet seemed to work for me back then and the new versions don't now. The new one is too lenient for me. I need the structure of the old diet. Thanks.

By Janet from AR

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

The post from MartyD is exactly right! I did the same thing, and found the 1970s weight watchers. In the 60s the original plan was very Spartan; 1970s included fats and was wonderful, with just enough structure (as I need as well) but a little wiggle room on what you ate & when. I remember them saying they found that this version produced body shape changes that they hadn't seen before, or expected. Here's the website: http://www.dwlz.com/WWinfo/old1972ww.html

Read More Answers...

Does some type of conversion chart exist for the Weight Watchers Points? I prefer the exchange plan and Weight Watchers products in the store always print the points information on the box instead. So I end up searching for other products that still use the exchange system. By Satie from SC

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I am not sure if this will help but you might just check out http://www.diabeticconnect.com

It has recipes and guidelines and all kinds of recipes for diabetics and healthy eating and weight loss info.

Read More Answers...

A number of posters are asking for information on the old Weight Watchers Exchange Program from the 80s. eBay has listings for the Weight Watchers Quick Start PLUS Program Cookbook. Same as mine from 1986, it lists all the information from the Exchange Program. Just type in Weight Watchers Quick Start under cookbooks.

Finding Old Weight Watchers Programs
    CommentMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Weight Watchers used to do the exchange system, but has since changed to the point system. Does anyone know where I can find a conversion tool or chart so I can find out the exchange for the points posted on different products? Thank you!

By Katie K

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You really need to join WW online. Their site has a point calculator and a recipe builder where you enter all the ingredients and it tells you the points per serving. If you can't find the food on the list, it gives you a tool to enter the fiber, fat and protein content and then it converts it for you.

Read More Answers...

I am looking for the Weight Watchers 3-3-3 diet plan. I used it many years ago but I lost it when I moved. The Weight Watchers meetings are not doing it for me. All they talk about is the new points program and it doesn't help at all.

By Cyndy from Chatham, Ontario

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Hy Cyndy; It sounds like you are having trouble understanding the weight watchers points system. Why don't you tell your leader that you are having trouble. I joined Weight Watchers last May and lost 20 lbs by the end of September. I think you will find the points system easy to follow once you get into it. Most vegetables are free and fruit is very low in points value so there are lots of low points foods to choose from. Once you get into the habit of keeping track of what you eat, it gets easier. Good Luck! Joan from Chesterfied, MI

Read More Answers...

I have been looking for the 1980s Weight Watchers exchanges booklet. Can you tell me where I can find this? Thank you.

Irene

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I looked on wikianswers and found that the curves diet plan offers a similar exchange list. Here is their website:

http://news.curves.com/press+releases/30+Day++Plan/

Here is the regular Weight Watchers Webpage. While I was there I subscribed to their newsletter.

http://www.weightwatchers.com/index.aspx

Blessings, Robyn

Can anyone out there help me find a copy of the old 1980s Weight Watchers Exchange plan? I need information on food exchanges, amount of a serving, the breakdown of allowed exchanges per day, etc. In other words just about everything concerning this plan. Thank you very much.

By victoriapenny

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have a copy of the Weight Watchers Quick Start Plus Cookbook from 1986. The daily exchanges for a women are as follows:

Week l

3 fruits, at least 2 veggies, 2 milk, 2 bread, 3 fat, and 6 proteins.

Week 2

add 1 protein

Weeks 3 and 4

add 1 bread and 2 proteins

You should always eat breakfast. Don;'t eat more than 4 eggs in a week.

Eat a minimum of 3 fish meals. eat 3 to 4 oz. liver in Weeks 12 and 3. Week 4, eat 4 t0 6 oz. liver. I hope this helps. This book is full of info.

I need the 1990's Weight Watchers Exchange program.

By Melanie from Albany, GA

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I walked into a second hand store and, among the books, I found a plastic folder with the 1990 Weight Watchers diet in it. It is a 3-level diet plan, complete with food lists, an unused diary, etc.

I have never been on Weight Watchers before, so my question is, on each level, you are allowed a certain amount of "floaters" per week, but I read through all the literature in the folder and I can't find an explanation of what a floater is.

I searched the web and ThriftyFun and can't find an explanation, although I did learn that Weight Watchers hasn't used floaters in their diet plans in quite a while. If anyone has been on the 1990 diet and knows what a floater is, I would appreciate it if you would share that information with me.

By Fortunately

Answers:

Weight Watchers Diet Exchange Plan

Floaters are bread, protein, and fruit. (08/20/2010)

By garnetgirl9

Weight Watchers Diet Exchange Plan

Thank you, garnetgirl9. (08/20/2010)

By Fortunately

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I am looking for the journal from the 1995-96 Weight Watchers Freedom Exchange plan. I have the materials after all this time, but I really need to journal everything and the points journal just doesn't cut it with me.

By julee from Medina, OH

Answers:

Weight Watchers Diet Exchange Plan

If you remember anything about how the original journal was set up, or if the information is in your existing materials, you could always recreate your own exchange journal. With a little ingenuity and persistence, you can create your own solution. Best to you! (10/11/2009)

By JustPlainJo

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Does someone have a copy of the Weight Watchers Exchange Diet Plan?

By zbarbathome from Pleasureville, KY

Answers:

Weight Watchers Diet Exchange Plan

Here is the plan from 1972: http://www.dwlz.com/WWinfo/old1972ww.html (05/18/2009)

By Anonymous

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Does anyone have the Weight Watcher's exchange diet plan? I'm trying to remember it. What is the calorie value for veggies? I'm thinking the exchanges are: 8 8oz. of water daily, 2 to 3 milk, 2 to 4 fruit, 3 to 5 veggies, 3 protein, 6 to 11 bread/grain, 3 fat, and some "optional" foods. I can't remember how the "optional" worked. This was a great plan for me, well balanced and I didn't feel deprived, plus I had lost 42 lbs. Help please! Thanks a bunch, you great people!

Sandy from Stoughton, WI

Answers:

Weight Watchers Diet Exchange Plan

If you can't get that information on WW Sandy, I would try a diabetic exchange program. You can find lots of free information on the web for these types of diet plans.

http://www.diabeteslibrary.org/news/news_item.cfm?NewsID=54 (07/25/2006)

By mef1957

Weight Watchers Diet Exchange Plan

I had better success with the exchange plan than the Points system and am planning on giving it another whirl, too! I think it is better because the exchange system was automatically balanced for you with less opportunity to eat junk calories. Over the years there were different exchange plans according to your weight...but in 1992 (when I lost 36 lbs) the exchanges were:

• Protein....3-5
    • Milk........2
    • Bread.....4-6
    • Fat.........3
    • Veggie....3 (minimum)
    • Fruit.......3

You also had the option of choosing an additional 21 selections weekly from the Bread/Protein/Fruit groups as well as 700 "optional" calories weekly. Hope this helps and good luck!
    -Karyl (07/30/2006)

By Mssnos

Weight Watchers Diet Exchange Plan

There isn't a calorie value per se for veggies. Non starchy veggies are unlimited. Starchy veggies (corn, potatoes) are considered Bread Exchanges. (07/30/2006)

By Mssnos

Weight Watchers Diet Exchange Plan

Rozeta asked if anyone had the old Weight Watchers book. I found many copies from old to new on Amazon.com - check out the USED prices. You can click on the USED link and see the copies that are available, including where they will be shipped from (what state) and what condition they are in. Often you can find a real deal that is listed as new or like new. What a bargain! Hope this helps.

I've got the old Weight Watchers 1994 big 3-ring binder style book, and am now online, trying to find out what may have changed in the exchange list since then. (10/03/2007)

By Tiggertype

Weight Watchers Diet Exchange Plan

Here is a website that sells used books and seems to have some of the program books.

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?kn=exchange&sortby=2&sts=t&tn=weight+watchers&x=31&y=13

I agree. I had success with the exchange program in the late 80s and 90s, but have had no success with the points program. I have joined many times over the last 10 years and have tried points and core. But neither work as well as exchange did for me. (11/07/2007)

By Suzy

Weight Watchers Diet Exchange Plan

After looking for the Weight Watchers old exchange plan info endlessly, I found an exchange system on the TOPS (take off pounds sensibly) website.You can print out a list of all the exchanges and food measurements, etc. on their tools button. I am thrilled to find that it is nearly like the WW old program! Hope this helps. (03/22/2008)

By Joan

Weight Watchers Diet Exchange Plan

I just got the book and it has the 1980's Food Exchange program plus recipes. The title is, "Weight Watchers Quick Start Program Cookbook with Full Exchange Plan", by Jean Nidetch. The ISBN is 0453010105. You can buy it for as low as 75 cents plus about $4 shipping from Half.com. (04/04/2008)

By DonnaJo

Weight Watchers Diet Exchange Plan

Thanks for the additional information. I, too, had success with the old WW exchange program and couldn't stick to the newer programs. The book "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Nutrition", second edition has an exchange list program which is quite similar to the old WW exchanges, along with daily tracking sheets with bubbles to fill in, which you can photocopy. A good read and very helpful. Can probably be found used for a good price. (04/09/2008)

By CC

Weight Watchers Diet Exchange Plan

I actually have the booklets from the exchange programs. I agree that this program works a lot better than the points program. The one from about 20 years ago always worked best for me because you get 6 to 8 oz. of protein. I lose faster if I eat more protein and less carbs. Over a 4 week period you increase your daily exchanges and optional calories.

So, here it is:

• Week 1 Women - 3 fruit, 2(at least) vegetables, 2 milk, 2 bread, 3 fat, 6 protein and up to 150 optional calories to use as you want throughout the week. Men do the same except they add 1 extra fruit, 2 breads and 2 protein exchanges daily.
    • Week 2 women - Protein goes up to 7 exchanges (ounces) per day and the optional calories go up to 200. Men - Same as women but add a protein (9 per day).
    • Week 3 Women - Same, except bread goes up to 3 per day and optional goes up to 250/week. Same for men; add 1 protein and go to 250 optional.
    • Week 4 and beyond women - 3 fruit, 2 (at least) veggies, 2 milk, 2 to 3 bread, 3 fat, 6 to 8 protein and up to 550 optional calories a week. Men - 4 to 6 fruits, 2 (at least) veggies, 2 milk, 4 to 5 bread, 3 fat, 8 to 10 protein, and up to 550 optional per week. Fruits are small to medium or 1/2 cup fruit or juice. Milk products: are 1 cup fat free yogurt, 1/2 cup reduced calorie pudding. Bread 80 cal, 3/4 oz. cereal, pita 1 oz., roll 1 oz., (no potatoes until week 2). Protein 1 oz. of any. Week 2 add 3 oz. potato, 1/2 cup pasta, 1 oz. English muffin or bagel, 1/2 cup rice. Week 3 add 2 cups popcorn, 2 oz. cooked beans, lentils, or peas. Cheese is 1 oz. for protein. Hope this helps.
    (04/22/2008)

By lorihanson

Weight Watchers Diet Exchange Plan

I was diagnosed with diabetes and have an exchange program that the nutritionist gave me. On the Mayo clinic diabetes webpage they have the exchanges. It is similar to the old WW, which I preferred as well. I feel better eating balanced meals. I need the structure and got away with too many bad choices on points. I am losing weight, so I have 5 protein, 5 starch, 3 fruit and fat, 2 milk per day. The extras for me would work out to be the 700 cal and 21 ps per week. (07/31/2008)

By Tricia

Weight Watchers Diet Exchange Plan

I "get into discussions" with my friends and family all the time about being "politically food correct" and "social engineering". I found the Weight Watchers Quick Success program at a library sale and snapped it up.

I found an old week 1 booklet that explained "floaters". You got 7 in weeks one, 14 in week two and 21 in week 3. Also, if anyone is looking for a "deal a meal" type thing, you can check out the TOPS.org website under TOPS Tools. They have exchange cards and an exchange tracker that will work.

I do go to TOPS since it is A) nonprofit and B) only $2/week in our chapter + a yearly registration fee, and, C) TOPS uses the exchange program and is more of a true "support" group than I found at WW meetings.

I'm glad to know that I am not the only one who found "Points" disappointing. I also found the Weight Watchers Quick and Easy Menu cookbook at the same sale. This book has menus for each month out of the year along with what produce is in season. I like the old books because there are no rubber fat-free cheese or fat-free, high-sugar cookies, cakes, etc. No fake food. Anyway, I thought the TOPS info might be helpful. You don't have to be a member to check out their tools. (08/07/2008)

By Kimberly

Weight Watchers Diet Exchange Plan

Go to www.sewessential.blogspot.com for recipes and info on the old WW Exchange system. If you email me from the blog, I'll send you copies of what I have. Also, if you visit www.tops.org and sign up (not join) they let you use their tools. It is very similar to the old WW exchange system. (10/07/2008)

By ireneh124

Weight Watchers Diet Exchange Plan

I was so happy to find this site. Thrilled to know I am not the only one who still loves the exchange plan. If you are working on your weight and you like Lean Cuisine, you can find the exchanges for each of their frozen dinners on their website. Of course they are not listed on the boxes anymore. Find the place on the site that says "nutritional information" then go to the prompt that says exchanges.

I cannot believe WW does not provide this information for their frozen foods. What are they thinking? (11/06/2008)

By Sharlee

Weight Watchers Diet Exchange Plan

I have it.

• milk 2
    • fat 3
    • vegetables 3 or more
    • protein 3-5
    • bread 4-6
    • personal up to 21
    • optional up to 700

I hope this will help you and yes it did work. I lost 80lb. (01/29/2009)

By donnakayk

Weight Watchers Diet Exchange Plan

There is a book entitled Weight Watchers Quick Start Program Cookbook, Including the Full Exchange Plan - I believe that is the plan you are referring to. I purchased mine on Amazon a few years back for about $2. They should have a copy in your local library.

Good luck! This is the best plan around, WW wasn't thinking when they switched to points. Who has time to count points? (02/12/2009)

By Skinny Minnie

Weight Watchers Diet Exchange Plan

Where have you been the past 15 years? Oh yeah, we all needed easy access to the internet. Anyway, has anyone found a link to a PDF of the Weekly Food Diary? 20+ years ago I lost 20 pounds, kept it off through my 3 pregnancies and then it ballooned up after #3. I got braces which really shed the pounds in 2 months, but once I could eat again the pounds came back. Now, each year it's 10 more and I need to lose 40-50 lbs.

WW Exchange Program is the only way to go. Instead of paying for a program, I hired Marco, my trainer today. He will keep me on track and honest, but am so glad there is this support group out there for junkies of the old WW Exchange plan.

I also found a website helpful to an updated exchange program. http://www.healthy.hillbillyhousewife.com/foodplans.html
    I will modify some of the exchanges to reflect the WW plan. Thanks. (04/20/2009)

By msmarie22

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
    Food and Recipes Food Tips DietingApril 17, 2013
    Pumpkin and Carrot Muffins
    Weight Watchers Pumpkin and Carrot Muffins
    Weight Watchers Help Scale
    Calculating Weight Watchers Point Totals
    Yogurt Bread Dough
    Weight Watchers Yogurt Bread Dough
    Weighing in on Scale
    Using Weight Watchers
    © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 25, 2016 at 1:54:32 PM on 10.0.2.56 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.