Browsing: Getting Rid of Fleas in Human Hair

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Getting Rid of Fleas in Human Hair

Sometimes in the case of a bad flea infestation, fleas will also get into the hair of the pet's owners. This is a guide about getting rid of fleas in human hair.

Man scratching his head.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

October 11, 2013 Flag

My daughter got fleas from my mom cats when they were infested (all but one has been treated now). The one cat not treated yet, keeps scratching herself open, so she can't be treated until the sores heal. Otherwise it could get in to her blood stream and poison her. I keep trying to pick them off, but her hair is so thick that it is very hard to get them unless they are at the hairline.

I need a shampoo recipe that I can quickly make at home to help her. Before someone says to make sure it is fleas and not lice, my daughter is only 19 months old and not in daycare. No one else in the house was exposed to lice so, I know it is fleas. I vacuum multiple times a day, and we keep the house as clean as possible. Please share a recipe to help my daughter, please!

By Deedra A

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

It's a recipe for pets as well as humans.

1/2 cup of cider vinegar

1/2 cup of Dawn dish soap

1/2 cup of water

Mix together, then saturate hair being mindful of avoiding eyes. Let sit for 2-3 minutes, then rinse well with warm water. That should do it!

Read More Answers...

March 13, 2015 Flag

I had a cat called Max, but had to sell him and ever since they came to get him I've had fleas in my house. Now trying to get rid of them, but they keep coming back. I've been finding a few a day now and I am really concerned of having them in my hair. I need some help. Does anyone know where I can buy brewer's yeast to help get rid of them?

By Nicole C

Best Answer

You can use salt to kill fleas but not on your dog or cat as it will irritate their skin:

Obtain some highly refined household salt or sea salt. Make sure it is as finely ground as possible, almost to a powder consistency. Sprinkle it lightly but evenly over your carpet. Brush or rake it in. Leave this in your carpet for 12 to 48 hours, then vacuum thoroughly.

You must continue to use some method to kill fleas in your home every few days as salt kills fleas but not their eggs. The flea eggs keep dropping from your pets into your home and hatching into more fleas.

Read More Answers...

November 26, 2014 Flag

My head was itching and when I scratched my head, I found a flea. I immediately took a shower and washed my hair very thoroughly. I didnt find any more fleas but when I scratched my head again, under my fingernails I found little black spots. I know for a fact that they are not head lice or hatched fleas. Are they flea eggs? What are they? How do I treat them?

By Rebecca

The black flakes or specs are their fecal matter (gross) but are not the fleas themselves. Showering should kill them, as you've seen, but it helps to shampoo, and bathe in general, with something containing natural essential oils, like tea tree. Cider Vinegar also apparently works as well.

Read More Answers...

September 21, 2014 Flag

A friend's dog is the reason I have fleas in my home. I've tried sprays and smoke bombs and they're not going. When I smoke a fag (cigarette), they crawl all over my face coz they are in my hair. I saw you say to someone that they don't lay eggs in human hair coz they're not the host, but am I since I have no dog or cat? What should I do for me and my home? Please help it's embarrassing scratching 24/7 :-)

By Lou

A good soak "head in water" in a tub of Epson salts with 10 drops of tea tree oil. Forget the insecticides, the fleas are very resistant to them now days. Baking soda kills fleas and their eggs so sprinkle liberally on carpet, between furniture cushions and on beds. Leave for 24 hours. Wipe down hard surfaces with hydrogen peroxide or bleach water. Wash every single peace of cloth and bedding in your home and dry in cloths dryer. If you line hang clothes to dry then wash in washer with a cup of Pine-Sol. Mopping floors with Pine-Sol is OK if you have no pets. Many Essential oils will kill fleas too.

Read More Answers...

August 12, 2010 Flag

How do I get fleas out of human hair?

By Kristy

Sauve shampoo... BLUE COLOR ONLY

Read More Answers...

September 25, 2014 Flag

What are the products I can use for fleas and for lice in human hair?

By Dianna D

Hair colour works great, if it's a child, wash their hair with dawn and a few drops of tea tree oil, put on a shower cap before you rinse, apply a good conditioner, wait two minutes, rinse, then comb through with a flea comb to make sure you didn't miss any eggs

Read More Answers...

January 23, 2012 Flag

How do I get rid of fleas in my hair?

By Hailey :) from Moore, OK

You do note need toxic chemicals to get rid of fleas (or lice), you simply need to be vigilant and willing and able to spend the time to use a nit comb daily. I have found the toxic sprays do not work, anyway, as they cannot get the larvae. It's not easy to get them out, and I have not yet accomplished it with mine, but have just been told by a friend which remedies work best.

Tip: Whatever you do, do not go to an ER or bother with a doctor. They will likely believe you are having "delusional parasitosis".

Facts

All fleas can live in human hair with the absence of other, more preferred hosts, but there is one flea that loves human hair called a "Human Flea" or "City Flea" and it's scientific name is Pulex Irritans. I have that one, I believe.

It is notoriously difficult to get rid of, even hospitals get infested with them and have difficulty getting rid of them. I believe this is not just because the larvae are so incredibly virulent but also because it is almost impossible to see the fleas with the naked eye when they are at their first stages of development.

Treatments

Flea larva are nearly impervious to all chemicals and they burrow deep into carpets and other areas and can live up to two years in dormancy. So be sure to treat your home, first:

Diatomaceous earth can be sprinkled everywhere as this dries out the larva. Just don't inhale it a lot as it will dry you out, too. Some pet stores sell it with names like "Fleabusters" and "Fleago" or you can get it at some garden centers.

Boric acid powder is supposed to be the very best because it gets down deep and keeps killing them for a couple years.

I am trying first a half/half mixture of salt and baking soda, another remedy I found that can dry them out.

For Hair and Body

It's possible all you need is a good citrus conditioner in your hair and a daily bath and shower and nit-combing until you find no more eggs. Citrus, peppermint, cedarwood, rosemary, tea tree oil, eucalyptus oil, and some other ingredients that you can search for online all help repel fleas.

I found a very inexpensive "Rosemary Mint" shampoo and conditioner. Dandruff shampoos that have some of these natural ingredients added are also great as long as you wash them out soon enough and don't use them more often than recommended on the bottle, otherwise they could irritate your skin.

Other products that can be found in natural food stores and that kill bugs in the hair:

Neem oil spray: (I found Neem Oil Soap - couldn't find the spray but I like it - and Neem toothpaste as they got in my mouth as well.) You can find instructions for using it by doing an internet search.

Lemons: Take one lemon and cut it in slices. Soak the slices in very hot water. Leave them for 12 hours and then strain the water into a spray bottle and spray it all over you, letting it air dry.

Apple cider vinegar (or white vinegar can also be used) rinsed through after washing hair. Another rinse I've been told to use after washing is plain old mouthwash.

You can also bathe daily with bath salts that contain eucalyptus and/or make your own bath with neem or neem leaves if you can find them - both are said to kill fleas. Just make sure you put a shampoo and/or conditioner into your hair with flea-repellent ingredients while you bathe, then wash it out after.

I must add that there are a few hair products in the African-American hair section that contain ingredients great for repelling fleas with the added benefit of making it easier to get a nit comb through your hair - such as leave - in super moisturizing treatments with olive and tea tree oils. These are great for making it easier to comb out the flea eggs, etc. (And for people who have lice it's even more perfect as lice do not like clean, smooth, moisturized hair that is hard to latch onto, nor do they like thicker, curlier hair, so most people who get head lice have straighter, finer hair.)

Fleas have been around for 33 million years so they are well-adapted to survive. So continue whatever treatment seems to be working until you are 100% sure they are gone.

Hope that helps- Good luck!

Read More Answers...

February 13, 2014 Flag

I have had no dog now for a year. 2 years ago I had my house sprayed with chemicals twice. I have got fleas; they are in my hair and bite my body. I am scratching all the time.

By Yvonne

Are you sure they are fleas? Perhaps you have head lice or bed bugs?

Read More Answers...

October 19, 2014 Flag

My hair seems to be permanently infested with fleas. We have no pets, but have family who have and I know they have fleas. How do I get rid of them? I have called in the professionals to clear my home. How do I clear my self and my husband?

By Ida

I've had fleas covering me. I feel them crawling by the hundreds as I lay in bed at night. I have found a couple in my hair, but I can't keep them held (they jump away almost instantly) but I have seen them. I have a dog. I've tried everything, but the solutoon was only temporary.

Read More Answers...

May 31, 2015 Flag

Our dog recently got infested with fleas, even though we used Frontline. We went to the vet and got the flea, heartworm, parasite treatment. I have bombed, used spray, washed everything. I give our dog regular baths for fleas. Now for my question, the dog and my boyfriend constantly have fleas on them.

Load More
Home and Garden Pest Control FleasJuly 29, 2013
On the beach scratching fleas.
Getting Rid of Sand Fleas
Getting Rid of Fleas in Bedding. Upclose photo of a flea.
Getting Rid of Fleas in Bedding
Up close photo of red, wavy hair.
Homemade Hair Dye Recipes
Sink with hair dye stains
Removing Hair Dye from a Bathroom Sink
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 28, 2016 at 8:13:38 PM on 10.0.1.36 in 4 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.