Getting Rid of Fleas in Human Hair

Sometimes in the case of a bad flea infestation, fleas will also get into the hair of the pet's owners. This is a guide about getting rid of fleas in human hair.

October 11, 2013 Flag

My daughter got fleas from my mom cats when they were infested (all but one has been treated now). The one cat not treated yet, keeps scratching herself open, so she can't be treated until the sores heal. Otherwise it could get in to her blood stream and poison her. I keep trying to pick them off, but her hair is so thick that it is very hard to get them unless they are at the hairline.

I need a shampoo recipe that I can quickly make at home to help her. Before someone says to make sure it is fleas and not lice, my daughter is only 19 months old and not in daycare. No one else in the house was exposed to lice so, I know it is fleas. I vacuum multiple times a day, and we keep the house as clean as possible. Please share a recipe to help my daughter, please!

By Deedra A

Best Answer

I would use Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth on your daughter's hair and on your cat at the same time. It is safe for humans and animals. And it works. My dog and I had fleas and also my carpet. This worked like a charm. I had to use it twice. Use a lot of it. I guarantee it will work. Vaccum every other day for 2 weeks. Hope this helps.

Best Answer

August 30, 2016 Flag

8 weeks ago I my scalp started itching. When I combed my hair out over the bathroom basin these black things come out. I assumed they were lice, so over the following 2 weeks I spent a lot of money on different products. However I still had them. I went to a lice specialist who had one of those special head covers, but she couldn't find anything.

So I came home thinking OK, perhaps they've gone, but just 3 hours later the itching started again. I do have a dog, but she has had so many baths and treatments for fleas. I did take her to the vet to have her checked out. He confirmed she didn't have fleas.

Anyway the more research I did online the more I've become convinced they are no lice but fleas as I recognised all 4 images from the life cycle of fleas image I found online. I have tried cider vinegar, tea tree oils, medicated shampoos, salt you name it I've tried it. I shower twice a day washing my hair and putting lots of conditioner on to comb though my hair with a nit comb. Yet the little so and sos are still with me. For the 1st hour after my shower my head feels fine, then it starts to itch and I find little black dots all around my neck and chest area. So I go upstairs and wash them away with a flannel, whilst at the same time combing my hair over the wash basin where more come out, sometimes long straight things. Embarrassingly once when I was showering one came from my crotch area too.

When I go to bed I'm no longer putting a duvet or sheet over me so I can see what the back sheet looks like in the morning. It's usually got white specks all the sheet, which I'm presuming are eggs. Once in a while I'm woken by something biting my legs and when I look there is one of this white spots under my leg or foot.

This is us seriously wearing me down mentally and reduces me to tears on a regular basis. I don't know what else to do hence why I'm asking if amybody has a solution as I'm seriously thinking the only way to get rid of them is to cut all my hair off as I am desperate, but as a woman that would be drastic measures.

You are ABSOLUTELY wrong, fleas will and do infest people. You obviously have never had an encounter with them and don't know what you're talking about! They will even imbed in your skin!

March 13, 2015 Flag

I had a cat called Max, but had to sell him and ever since they came to get him I've had fleas in my house. Now trying to get rid of them, but they keep coming back. I've been finding a few a day now and I am really concerned of having them in my hair. I need some help. Does anyone know where I can buy brewer's yeast to help get rid of them?

By Nicole C

Best Answer

Another good tip is to sprinkle generous amounts of salt in your carpeting. Leave overnight. Vacuum very well in the am. This will help with the problem. I wish you luck... they are nasty little critters.

Best Answer

November 26, 2014 Flag

My head was itching and when I scratched my head, I found a flea. I immediately took a shower and washed my hair very thoroughly. I didnt find any more fleas but when I scratched my head again, under my fingernails I found little black spots. I know for a fact that they are not head lice or hatched fleas. Are they flea eggs? What are they? How do I treat them?

By Rebecca

Lice are becoming immune to the otc stuff

Get your Pediatrician to write a prescription for sklice or another prescription lice treatment. Good luck, stay persistent.

September 21, 2014 Flag

A friend's dog is the reason I have fleas in my home. I've tried sprays and smoke bombs and they're not going. When I smoke a fag (cigarette), they crawl all over my face coz they are in my hair. I saw you say to someone that they don't lay eggs in human hair coz they're not the host, but am I since I have no dog or cat? What should I do for me and my home? Please help it's embarrassing scratching 24/7 :-)

By Lou

Do not go to a hair dresser, as a Cosmetolgist state board will shut down the salon!! See a Dermatologist!!

September 25, 2014 Flag

What are the products I can use for fleas and for lice in human hair?

By Dianna D

I was wondering as I bleach my hair - If I do it sooner than I need to (like tomorrow) would the bleach kill them off....

August 12, 2010 Flag

How do I get fleas out of human hair?

By Kristy

Go to the doctors and they might help. Iv'e had them before and that's what I did and my hair is back to normal.

January 23, 2012 Flag

How do I get rid of fleas in my hair?

By Hailey :) from Moore, OK

Yes! Fleas are horrible but the best way too get rid of them is to mix a little bit of vingar (white) into your shampoo. It works perfectly! It may burn a little but it kills them at the source! :)

February 13, 2014 Flag

I have had no dog now for a year. 2 years ago I had my house sprayed with chemicals twice. I have got fleas; they are in my hair and bite my body. I am scratching all the time.

By Yvonne

She doesn't have a dog anymore. At the risk of sounding indelicate, your infestation might not be fleas. If you don't see them jumping from your hair when you vigorously scratch it over say the tub where you can see them, you may have lice.

If you do, put some mayonnaise in your hair, cover with a shower cap for an hour, then wash your hair. If this doesn't work, you may want to see a doctor.

October 19, 2014 Flag

My hair seems to be permanently infested with fleas. We have no pets, but have family who have and I know they have fleas. How do I get rid of them? I have called in the professionals to clear my home. How do I clear my self and my husband?

By Ida

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Are you sure they are fleas? It seems far more likely, especially if they are in your hair, that they are head lice.

August 31, 2013 Flag

I have a daughter and found out at the salon that she has fleas. What can I treat her with to get rid of the fleas and their eggs all at once and what can I put in her hair daily, to keep them from jumping on her head? Please help, I may have them too.

Load More
Home and Garden Pest Control FleasJuly 29, 2013
Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth
On the beach scratching fleas.
Getting Rid of Sand Fleas
Getting Rid of Fleas in Bedding. Upclose photo of a flea.
Getting Rid of Fleas in Bedding
Up close photo of red, wavy hair.
Homemade Hair Dye Recipes
Sink with hair dye stains
Removing Hair Dye from a Bathroom Sink