Getting Rid of Fleas in Human Hair

Sometimes in the case of a bad flea infestation, fleas will also get into the hair of the pet's owners. This is a guide about getting rid of fleas in human hair.

August 31, 2013 Flag

I have a daughter and found out at the salon that she has fleas. What can I treat her with to get rid of the fleas and their eggs all at once and what can I put in her hair daily, to keep them from jumping on her head? Please help, I may have them too.

By Brandy

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

If it's fleas the solution is simple - get rid of the fleas in the house and bedding by:

* Correct applications of pesticides - Liquid Sevin works great and is easily applied. Find it at any big-box (WalMart, KMart, Target). You may need to buy a sprayer, too. Read the pesticide label carefully and follow all directions!

* Daily vacuuming (floors and carpets, beds and any upholstered furniture) and change the bag at least weekly even if not completely full to prevent fleas eggs hatching in the bag and coming back out of the bag to re-infest your home.

* Daily sweeping followed by floor mopping with hot bleach water - pay careful attention to base and skirting boards and any cracks.

* Washing the bedding, curtains, and sofa covers (including any sofa pillows that will fit in the washing machine) in hot water followed by drying at the hottest possible temp.

* Daily bathing and shampooing hair; keeps the little blighters from nesting and laying eggs.

Tip: lice eggs will not wash out of hair - if you can see little (as in tiny) white balls on the hair strands that won't very easily brush off, you have lice, not fleas.

* Laundering clothing in hottest possible temps after a single wearing

Fleas are not a joke, they carry disease and the eggs can live for years in soil, upholstery, clothing, and under floorboards. Cleanliness is only second to proper pesticide application to keep fleas at bay.

As said in the earlier post, lice are a much worse problem requiring a huge amount of effort and specialised chemical treatments to eradicate. Same work as above but much more urgent and a whole lot harder.

Ask a nurse or pharmacist which pest you are infested with and then follow his/her instructions to the letter.

** Special note: If you are using a laundromat may be another source of where your fleas or lice are coming from. A lot of the laundromats are running the machines on cold water only so you need to be sure that the machines run hot water before depending on them to effectively clean and dis-infest.

Best Answer

If you have pets in your home and are not keeping them treated for fleas, you won't stop infestation. The drops applied monthly I think work the best. You need to vacuum and mop then apply a residual bug spray in the house; these are in a gallon jug with pump sprayer and kill bugs up to a year. For your hair, tea tree shampoo, it repels them. This will help, but I have to stress, if you have pets, you have to keep them treated, for their health and yours.

BABY oil

Read More Answers...

August 30, 2016 Flag

8 weeks ago I my scalp started itching. When I combed my hair out over the bathroom basin these black things come out. I assumed they were lice, so over the following 2 weeks I spent a lot of money on different products. However I still had them. I went to a lice specialist who had one of those special head covers, but she couldn't find anything.

So I came home thinking OK, perhaps they've gone, but just 3 hours later the itching started again. I do have a dog, but she has had so many baths and treatments for fleas. I did take her to the vet to have her checked out. He confirmed she didn't have fleas.

Anyway the more research I did online the more I've become convinced they are no lice but fleas as I recognised all 4 images from the life cycle of fleas image I found online. I have tried cider vinegar, tea tree oils, medicated shampoos, salt you name it I've tried it. I shower twice a day washing my hair and putting lots of conditioner on to comb though my hair with a nit comb. Yet the little so and sos are still with me. For the 1st hour after my shower my head feels fine, then it starts to itch and I find little black dots all around my neck and chest area. So I go upstairs and wash them away with a flannel, whilst at the same time combing my hair over the wash basin where more come out, sometimes long straight things. Embarrassingly once when I was showering one came from my crotch area too.

When I go to bed I'm no longer putting a duvet or sheet over me so I can see what the back sheet looks like in the morning. It's usually got white specks all the sheet, which I'm presuming are eggs. Once in a while I'm woken by something biting my legs and when I look there is one of this white spots under my leg or foot.

This is us seriously wearing me down mentally and reduces me to tears on a regular basis. I don't know what else to do hence why I'm asking if amybody has a solution as I'm seriously thinking the only way to get rid of them is to cut all my hair off as I am desperate, but as a woman that would be drastic measures.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Check with a doctor before taking this advice. I don't know your health status-meds.

I took 2 tbs of unprocessed Braggs Apple Cider Vinegar. 1 tbs in am. &1 tbs before bed. Put it in juice to mask the taste. I use apple or grape juice. Rinse mouth out with milk so acidity doesn't ruin tooth enamel. I did this and starting seeing a huge difference after 3 days.

I vacuumed every day, and purchased a spray with an IGR, (This is an insect growth Regulator). IGRS stop the flea life cycle. IGRS are strong enough to kill all stages of life including larvae, pupae, egg, adult. I purchased Armor & Conquer. Just google it and purchase it online. I sprayed it on my couch, under my couch, under my cushions, basically on floors. Be careful not to get on humans or pets.

Vacuuming every day is key. I did downstairs 1 day, and upstairs the next.

* For dogs: Bathe in Blue Dawn Liquid Soap. Lather and rinse after 15 minutes. Keep pets head and mouth above water so they don't drowned(had to say it). Blue Dawn Soap removes the oil from fleas and suffocates them. Obviously keep out of pets eyes, and soap around the outside of ears 1st to avoid fleas from going in the ears. Use warm water, not hot. Bathe every few days so not to dry out their skin.

* For humans: The ACV will up your blood PH, and lower any current infection that the fleas maybe drawn to.

* Bathe daily using Selsun Blue Anti~Dandruff Selenium Sulfide Shampoo.

Use a nit comb and comb through Pantene Conditioner removing eggs,fleas.

* You can also Blue Dawn& lather for 15 min.

Put Epson Salts in very warm Bath Water for humans. I use Doctor Teal's with Ginger and Clay. This removes toxins and the salt kills fleas.

* Wash bed sheets every day, wash and bag toys. Steam or wash window dressings.

* Spray 100% natural cedar oil in hair after shower-bath. 5 ml cedar oil, to 16oz water, and 8 drops lemon grass essential oil. Put solution in spray bottle for hair. Fleas hate this.

I sprayed thud in my hair during day, and then put it in a bun.

* At night, or whenever you can attend candles: get a bowl of warm water, make suds w/ Blue Dawn, place floating tea lights or candle in center and light it. Fleas will be attracted to the light, jump in and drowned. I had a bowel in each rm.

I have these dandruff looking specs too. I'm on the fence about this because I think it may be dandruff from the dawn drying our my scalp BUT sometimes the specs are perfectly shaped, round and don't look like flakes.

I have the same problem. I had my doctor look at my head 3 times, he thought it was lice but I had been doing natural lice remedies and combed myself bald a had to cut off the rest of my hair. I was losing my mind! ! the crawling drove me cr

Read More Answers...

November 23, 2016 Flag

This is a guide about getting rid of fleas in a toddler's hair. Children can pick up fleas from infested pets.

A toddler itching her head.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

March 13, 2015 Flag

I had a cat called Max, but had to sell him and ever since they came to get him I've had fleas in my house. Now trying to get rid of them, but they keep coming back. I've been finding a few a day now and I am really concerned of having them in my hair. I need some help. Does anyone know where I can buy brewer's yeast to help get rid of them?

By Nicole C

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Another good tip is to sprinkle generous amounts of salt in your carpeting. Leave overnight. Vacuum very well in the am. This will help with the problem. I wish you luck... they are nasty little critters.

Best Answer

You can use salt to kill fleas but not on your dog or cat as it will irritate their skin:

Obtain some highly refined household salt or sea salt. Make sure it is as finely ground as possible, almost to a powder consistency. Sprinkle it lightly but evenly over your carpet. Brush or rake it in. Leave this in your carpet for 12 to 48 hours, then vacuum thoroughly.

You must continue to use some method to kill fleas in your home every few days as salt kills fleas but not their eggs. The flea eggs keep dropping from your pets into your home and hatching into more fleas.

I don't know for yeast but Raid makes a carpet spray that kills fleas. Or you could try the 'home fumigation' of a bug bomb treatment. Both should be easily available at your local Walmart and relatively simple to use.

Read More Answers...

November 26, 2014 Flag

My head was itching and when I scratched my head, I found a flea. I immediately took a shower and washed my hair very thoroughly. I didnt find any more fleas but when I scratched my head again, under my fingernails I found little black spots. I know for a fact that they are not head lice or hatched fleas. Are they flea eggs? What are they? How do I treat them?

By Rebecca

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Lil black spots are lil fleas. I'may still figuring out how to get rid of mine.

Lice are becoming immune to the otc stuff

Get your Pediatrician to write a prescription for sklice or another prescription lice treatment. Good luck, stay persistent.

The black flakes or specs are their fecal matter (gross) but are not the fleas themselves. Showering should kill them, as you've seen, but it helps to shampoo, and bathe in general, with something containing natural essential oils, like tea tree. Cider Vinegar also apparently works as well.

Read More Answers...

September 21, 2014 Flag

A friend's dog is the reason I have fleas in my home. I've tried sprays and smoke bombs and they're not going. When I smoke a fag (cigarette), they crawl all over my face coz they are in my hair. I saw you say to someone that they don't lay eggs in human hair coz they're not the host, but am I since I have no dog or cat? What should I do for me and my home? Please help it's embarrassing scratching 24/7 :-)

By Lou

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I though it might be lice so we got his hair cut and still there some fleas living in his hair. We've tried the salt and baking soda mixture but idk how to get rid of them. I feel horriblet hat he's going through this because we dont even have a pet!

Do not go to a hair dresser, as a Cosmetolgist state board will shut down the salon!! See a Dermatologist!!

A good soak "head in water" in a tub of Epson salts with 10 drops of tea tree oil. Forget the insecticides, the fleas are very resistant to them now days. Baking soda kills fleas and their eggs so sprinkle liberally on carpet, between furniture cushions and on beds. Leave for 24 hours. Wipe down hard surfaces with hydrogen peroxide or bleach water. Wash every single peace of cloth and bedding in your home and dry in cloths dryer. If you line hang clothes to dry then wash in washer with a cup of Pine-Sol. Mopping floors with Pine-Sol is OK if you have no pets. Many Essential oils will kill fleas too.

Read More Answers...

September 25, 2014 Flag

What are the products I can use for fleas and for lice in human hair?

By Dianna D

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Hair colour works great, if it's a child, wash their hair with dawn and a few drops of tea tree oil, put on a shower cap before you rinse, apply a good conditioner, wait two minutes, rinse, then comb through with a flea comb to make sure you didn't miss any eggs

I was wondering as I bleach my hair - If I do it sooner than I need to (like tomorrow) would the bleach kill them off....

Hair color as in dye? Does it really?

Read More Answers...

August 12, 2010 Flag

How do I get fleas out of human hair?

By Kristy

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Yes, fleas can jump on human hair, mobile and even your laptop. As the eggs are very tiny, they can fly to your hair when you play with the pet or when your pet shake their fur. If there is no pet they will feed on human, not their best choice.

If you have fleas on your hair:

1) try apply a lot of conditional or baby oil on your hair and then use the fleas comb to comb them. Wash away the conditional with dawn dish wash or joy or any other dish wash. Repeat until you feel they are not biting your face.

2) cut your hair shorter will make it easier for you.

3) use dawn dish washer and let it sit for a 5-10 mins and then apply conditional to replenish the oil. Repeat until you feel they are gone. Then repeat every week for a while just to be safe.

4) use head and shoulder shampoo, let it sit for 5-10 mins, then wash off and apply conditional. Repeat daily till you feel they are gone.

5) you can use tea tree mix with water to repeal them but they will just jump into your house. So you do need to treat the house. But for prevention that is good. But if you spray your hair, you need to spray very little on your face (not so strong) or they will attack your face.

Remove all the hair brush as it will be easy for them to hide inside, try to use normal comb that you can wash with boiling water with soap water and then rise with water with 2 drop of tea tree oil.

Meanwhile, treat your pet, house, bedding and cloths.

Wash your cloths in hot wash will not kill them at once as they will keep jumping back so keep washing them until your house is clean.

I still have not find a way to get rid of them from mobile/ laptop/ hard disk. Just need to do regular maintainance to make sure we get rid of them.

And do take note of cloths / material / towel / rug that you buy from any shop that is not wrap up, best to wash them with hot wash the moment you reach home. Some people love to keep their new cloths when they get home, if there is a flea in any of them it will jump to the rest. Cloths that is manufacture in large quantity are all throw around on the floor before they appear in the store. So hot wash will kill the dust mite / fleas / whatever that come along. This is a good practice.

If you are wearing your shoe and walk on soil and dirty ground, then try not to store your shoe with your cloths. What jump on your shoe will then jump on your cloths since they are store in the same place.

Go to the doctors and they might help. Iv'e had them before and that's what I did and my hair is back to normal.

Sauve shampoo... BLUE COLOR ONLY

Read More Answers...

January 23, 2012 Flag

How do I get rid of fleas in my hair?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

February 13, 2014 Flag

I have had no dog now for a year. 2 years ago I had my house sprayed with chemicals twice. I have got fleas; they are in my hair and bite my body.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

October 19, 2014 Flag

My hair seems to be permanently infested with fleas. We have no pets, but have family who have and I know they have fleas. How do I get rid of them? I have called in the professionals to clear my home.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Load More
Home and Garden Pest Control FleasJuly 29, 2013
Products
Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth
On the beach scratching fleas.
Getting Rid of Sand Fleas
Getting Rid of Fleas in Bedding. Upclose photo of a flea.
Getting Rid of Fleas in Bedding
Up close photo of red, wavy hair.
Homemade Hair Dye Recipes
Sink with hair dye stains
Removing Hair Dye from a Bathroom Sink
🎉
🎄