Browsing: Removing Dye Transfers from Clothing

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Removing Dye Transfers from Clothing

One of the more frustrating and difficult clothing stains you can encounter is dye transfer. This is a guide about removing dye transfer stains from clothing.

Picture of a red striped shirt in a washer.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

August 17, 2016 Flag

I wore a couple of new red t-shirts and didn't realize until later that my new white bra turned a light pink just while wearing them together.

How do I make my only white bra white again?

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

May 3, 2016 Flag

I washed a nice cream color towel with different colored towels, and the red bled onto the cream towels. Can I use bleach on the cream color towel to get the color bleed out?

Best Answer

Try soaking in color-safe bleach.

If you frequently have to do mixed- color loads, invest in Shout! Color Catcher sheets to "catch" the dye. Better than ruining towels or clothes.

Read More Answers...

August 14, 2016 Flag

My mum ruined some clothes that I got by putting them in the wash with her blue dress. Now my clothes have big dark blue patches on them! Please help me to get the stains out because I got these clothes at a beach market abroad. I adore these clothes and I've searched the internet for replacements, but there are none.

August 14, 2016 Flag

I washed a blue T-shirt with some red trousers by accident and the red ran. The blue was not affected, but the white cuffs on the sleeve and neckline are now pink. I don't want to bleach it as it'll ruin the blue, but don't know what to use on the now pink rims. Any advice?

Read More Answers...

August 14, 2016 Flag

I have a really nice light blue/teal fly veil (for horses) and I washed it with similar colours and a few reds. It's now purple. How do I get it blue again without ruining the whole thing? Please help!

June 16, 2016 Flag

I have a white dress, 100% cotton, with colored embroidery on it. I hand washed the dress, but dried it in the dryer with pink clothes. The entire dress turned to pale pink. I want to remove the pink color and change it back to white without disturbing the colored emroidery design. If I use bleach the embroidery will also get spoiled. What should I do? Please help. It's my favorite dress.

Use Oxiclean. It makes white white and keeps other colours in place. Soak the dress in warm to hot water that has a scoop of Oxiclean in it.

July 24, 2011 Flag

A white blouse got washed with a red one. How do you get the pink out?

By Pat B.

Best Answer

Try soaking it in hydrogen peroxide. May take several times.

Read More Answers...

February 16, 2015 Flag

I accidentally put my husband's white bowls shirt in the wash with a new black pair of pants. So now the white shirt is a nice shade of blue. How do I get it white again?

By Margaret S from Lal-Lal Australia

Best Answer

Boil lemon in water and then while still hot soak the shirt.

Read More Answers...

February 14, 2016 Flag

I have a one piece blouse that looks like a white tank top with a wine colored jacket. The jacket ran so now the tank portion is pink. Any fix to this?

Best Answer

You could try fabric paint on the formerly white part or sew white lace onto that portion?

May 22, 2014 Flag

I accidentally ruined my daughter's favorite delicate light pink shirt. Somehow, I managed to get blue streaks of dye all over it. I tried stain remover, but the dye didn't budge. I did not dry it in the dryer, thank God! But it did sit in the laundry room for a couple of weeks thinking I would have to trash it. I decided I didn't have anything to lose so I researched and did a combination of different recommendations.

I applied rubbing alcohol, nothing happened. Directly over the alcohol, I applied white vinegar, still nothing. I filled the bathroom sink with hot water and dissolved 1/2 cup of Tide, 1/2 cup of Borax detergent booster, a big splash of rubbing alcohol, a big splash of white vinegar, and small splash of regular Clorox bleach. The blue dye instantly vanished!

Now, it is in the wash with cold water and Woolite. I am sure my daughter will be thrilled!

Editor's Note: Use caution when mixing household cleansers with other substances, especially bleach. Toxic gasses are easily created, which could cause injury. Read all labels first.

August 1, 2016 Flag

I recently bought some white jeans and put them in the dryer with some new black jeans and the dye left patchy stains, how can I get rid of them?

April 16, 2015 Flag

I washed my daughter's new white jeans in alongside a pink face cloth. The jeans are pink. Please help, she is gonna kill me.

By Brenda

Best Answer

Rit brand makes a color remover. My husband turned my favorite sweatshirt pink once, and I washed it with the Rit color remover (making sure to follow directions), and my sweatshirt came out great!

Read More Answers...

March 24, 2015 Flag

I wonder if some lovely lady is able to help me. I bought a dress which is black with white trim on the collar and on the leg of the dress. I used Colour Catcher sheets in the wash and the white parts have still turned grey. It is made from 90% polyester and 10% rayon.

Load More
Home and Garden Cleaning Clothing StainsJuly 26, 2011
clothes iron
Crafts Using Iron On Transfers
Washing Machine
Cleaning Fabric Dye from Inside a Washer
Sink with hair dye stains
Removing Hair Dye from a Bathroom Sink
Red Hair Dye
Removing Hair Dye Stains from a Bathtub
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 25, 2016 at 9:20:47 AM on 10.0.1.214 in 5 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.