Browsing: Removing Dye Transfers from Clothing

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Removing Dye Transfers from Clothing

One of the more frustrating and difficult clothing stains you can encounter is dye transfer. This is a guide about removing dye transfer stains from clothing.

Picture of a red striped shirt in a washer.

Related Product:

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

August 30, 2016 Flag

My son's new black with a red over wash jeans were washed with my blue jeans and shorts now all have a pink tinge to them. I re-washed them with cold water and they are all still pink. If I boil them with the bleach added as I read here will they all become white? How can I get my blue jeans back to their faded old blue?

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

My daughter's dress background colour ran into the main colour? How can I remove the background colour from the maincolour?

September 13, 2016 Flag

My light golden bed sheet was washed with blue trousers, now the bed sheet has turned a blue colour. Hw can I remove this colour?

i have several clothes that have picked up a blue color from one item. I need to know how to remove the blue color from the clothes.

May 3, 2016 Flag

I washed a nice cream color towel with different colored towels, and the red bled onto the cream towels. Can I use bleach on the cream color towel to get the color bleed out?

Best Answer

Try soaking in color-safe bleach.

If you frequently have to do mixed- color loads, invest in Shout! Color Catcher sheets to "catch" the dye. Better than ruining towels or clothes.

I washed a dressy red top wth other nice clothes and did not know til the end of wash that a pair of black leggings were in the load which left black dye stains on the nice red top. How can I get these out! Help

August 17, 2016 Flag

I wore a couple of new red t-shirts and didn't realize until later that my new white bra turned a light pink just while wearing them together.

How do I make my only white bra white again?

I accidentally washed new brown fisherman pants with my whites one of the whites was denim white shorts I've soaked in bleach still hasn't come out do you have any suggestions? Please help!

May 22, 2014 Flag

I accidentally ruined my daughter's favorite delicate light pink shirt. Somehow, I managed to get blue streaks of dye all over it. I tried stain remover, but the dye didn't budge. I did not dry it in the dryer, thank God! But it did sit in the laundry room for a couple of weeks thinking I would have to trash it. I decided I didn't have anything to lose so I researched and did a combination of different recommendations.

I applied rubbing alcohol, nothing happened. Directly over the alcohol, I applied white vinegar, still nothing. I filled the bathroom sink with hot water and dissolved 1/2 cup of Tide, 1/2 cup of Borax detergent booster, a big splash of rubbing alcohol, a big splash of white vinegar, and small splash of regular Clorox bleach. The blue dye instantly vanished!

Now, it is in the wash with cold water and Woolite. I am sure my daughter will be thrilled!

Editor's Note: Use caution when mixing household cleansers with other substances, especially bleach. Toxic gasses are easily created, which could cause injury. Read all labels first.

September 15, 2016 Flag

I have this white cotton beach towel with a blue print on it. I accidentally washed my son's red shirt with it and now the white has turned pink. I have tried soaking it in soaker and then washing it and hanging it in the sun, but it's only faded the colour a little. Can you suggest anything else I can do to remove the colour with out ruining the blue print on it, so I don't have to buy a new one to replace it?

I've attached an image of the towel that I brought.

Thanks.

round beach towel

June 16, 2016 Flag

I have a white dress, 100% cotton, with colored embroidery on it. I hand washed the dress, but dried it in the dryer with pink clothes. The entire dress turned to pale pink. I want to remove the pink color and change it back to white without disturbing the colored emroidery design. If I use bleach the embroidery will also get spoiled. What should I do? Please help. It's my favorite dress.

Use Oxiclean. It makes white white and keeps other colours in place. Soak the dress in warm to hot water that has a scoop of Oxiclean in it.

I washed a khaki shirt my husband had just bought to go fishing in with my new blue dress from Indonsia. I washed it three more times and still that blue dye was all over the shirt. I happened to have some Oxiclean and I soaked it in that with boiling water and instantly the water turned blue! Thank you so much for saving me from having to tell him about his new shirt being ruined!

July 24, 2011 Flag

A white blouse got washed with a red one. How do you get the pink out?

By Pat B.

Best Answer

Try soaking it in hydrogen peroxide. May take several times.

Cloth lace colour ran on the main cream color .

August 20, 2012 Flag

Colour catchers catch loose dyes in your wash water and prevent dyes from running or bleeding into each other. You can wash lights and darks together to save time and money by reducing the need for half size loads. Just cut up white fabric or felt pieces, soak in a solution of 1 cup of hot water and 1 Tbsp. of washing soda; mix well. Saturate white rags and let dry. Then add to your wash. Always test first.

By coville123 from Brockville, Ontario

September 7, 2016 Flag

I washed some white clothes and a pair of brown pants got caught into the load. The clothes now are all yellowish. What can I do to make them white again?

February 16, 2015 Flag

I accidentally put my husband's white bowls shirt in the wash with a new black pair of pants. So now the white shirt is a nice shade of blue. How do I get it white again?

Load More
Home and Garden Cleaning Clothing StainsJuly 26, 2011
clothes iron
Crafts Using Iron On Transfers
Washing Machine
Cleaning Fabric Dye from Inside a Washer
Sink with hair dye stains
Removing Hair Dye from a Bathroom Sink
Red Hair Dye
Removing Hair Dye Stains from a Bathtub
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 21, 2016 at 12:17:47 PM on 10.0.0.233 in 5 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.