Removing Dye Transfers from Clothing

One of the more frustrating and difficult clothing stains you can encounter is dye transfer. This is a guide about removing dye transfer stains from clothing.

May 22, 2014 Flag

I accidentally ruined my daughter's favorite delicate light pink shirt. Somehow, I managed to get blue streaks of dye all over it. I tried stain remover, but the dye didn't budge. I did not dry it in the dryer, thank God! But it did sit in the laundry room for a couple of weeks thinking I would have to trash it. I decided I didn't have anything to lose so I researched and did a combination of different recommendations.

I applied rubbing alcohol, nothing happened. Directly over the alcohol, I applied white vinegar, still nothing. I filled the bathroom sink with hot water and dissolved 1/2 cup of Tide, 1/2 cup of Borax detergent booster, a big splash of rubbing alcohol, a big splash of white vinegar, and small splash of regular Clorox bleach. The blue dye instantly vanished!

Now, it is in the wash with cold water and Woolite. I am sure my daughter will be thrilled!

Editor's Note: Use caution when mixing household cleansers with other substances, especially bleach. Toxic gasses are easily created, which could cause injury. Read all labels first.

Top Comment

I washed a white cotton and black print belt (from a matching dress), the black ran into the white. I tried the above solution, and it got the dye out of the white really well, but turned the black dyed pattern to brown! (Well that's what bleach does). I'm fine with that though, now I will wash the dress the same way (and turn that brown and white) and I'm back to a matching dress and belt again!!

Top Comment

August 30, 2016 Flag

My son's new black with a red over wash jeans were washed with my blue jeans and shorts now all have a pink tinge to them. I re-washed them with cold water and they are all still pink. If I boil them with the bleach added as I read here will they all become white? How can I get my blue jeans back to their faded old blue?

My pink towel got black hair dye in it ..please help how can I get rid of the black colour from my pink towel

November 13, 2016 Flag

I had to wash a red plaid Christmas comforter and when I took it out of the dryer, the red had dyed or bled into the white parts of the comforter. How can I safely remove it?

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

July 24, 2011 Flag

A white blouse got washed with a red one. How do you get the pink out?

By Pat B.

Best Answer

I wouldn't mix OxiClean and bleach, in fact I think there is a warning on the label about it. As long as you didn't throw the now pink blouse into the dryer, you should be able to get the pink out, and restore the blouse to its original white by washing it in the hottest water possible for the fabric; add bleach if the fabric can be bleached-synthetics can't handle bleach, you'll end up with a completely ruined and useless blouse.

There is a product called something like "Colour-Out" that can be used to strip dye from a fabric, check on the Rit (US) website:

http://www.ritdye.com/

Or on the Dyelon (UK) site:

http://www.dylon.co.uk/

For the actual name of the product. It works great for taking the accidental colour out of fabric.

Best Answer

August 17, 2016 Flag

I wore a couple of new red t-shirts and didn't realize until later that my new white bra turned a light pink just while wearing them together.

How do I make my only white bra white again?

I accidentally washed new brown fisherman pants with my whites one of the whites was denim white shorts I've soaked in bleach still hasn't come out do you have any suggestions? Please help!

August 20, 2012 Flag

Colour catchers catch loose dyes in your wash water and prevent dyes from running or bleeding into each other. You can wash lights and darks together to save time and money by reducing the need for half size loads. Just cut up white fabric or felt pieces, soak in a solution of 1 cup of hot water and 1 Tbsp. of washing soda; mix well. Saturate white rags and let dry. Then add to your wash. Always test first.

By coville123 from Brockville, Ontario

For those of us in the U.S., what is washing soda? Is this the same as baking soda which we use for stains too?

June 25, 2015 Flag

I washed "hand wash only" dresses on the gentle cycle and tossed in a new dress, black and white tie-dyed, that was never washed before. It bled on all the dresses, really badly on an ombre pink colored tube dress and a pair of gauze material palazzo pants that are cream. How do I get the black/grey streaks out? They are currently soaking in cool water with laundry detergent and vinegar. Please help.

Best Answer

I had this happen a long time ago. Thank God you haven't dried them. Scrub each spot with a few drops of Dawn dish detergent. It takes a while but keep scrubbing and the spots will come out.

Best Answer

May 26, 2016 Flag

I soaked my father's shirt and pants together for washing, but unfortunately the green color from the t-shirt transferred to pink and white shirts. How can I remove the stains with the things which I can buy easily or with things at home?

Best Answer

Soak it in a bucket of cold water and dish washing detergent for a day and then wash it.

June 16, 2016 Flag

I have a white dress, 100% cotton, with colored embroidery on it. I hand washed the dress, but dried it in the dryer with pink clothes. The entire dress turned to pale pink. I want to remove the pink color and change it back to white without disturbing the colored emroidery design. If I use bleach the embroidery will also get spoiled. What should I do? Please help. It's my favorite dress.

Use Oxiclean. It makes white white and keeps other colours in place. Soak the dress in warm to hot water that has a scoop of Oxiclean in it.

March 24, 2015 Flag

I wonder if some lovely lady is able to help me. I bought a dress which is black with white trim on the collar and on the leg of the dress. I used Colour Catcher sheets in the wash and the white parts have still turned grey. Is there anything I can use to either turn the grey bits of the dress back to white again or is there a way of turning the grey parts black so the whole dress will be black?
Any advice would be appreciated. It's my favourite dress. I have never had one fit me so well. I've tried to buy another, but it's been sold out for months.
It is made from 90% polyester and 10% rayon.
Thank you in advance.

By Kimberley26

Best Answer

If your efforts are not fruitful to return the grey parts to their white color, you could buy some white bias tape and cover the trim with that, or any similar white fabric would work, as well. If it is trimmed with larger pieces (perhaps even an entire collar or pocket), you may have to remove the trim and replace it, proceed according to your own sewing skills, or have a professional make these replacements.

Failing that, you can find fabric markers in department stores and fabric stores, and they come in black, generally, so you should be able to use one of those to cover all the white/grey trim with black color that way. It may take several applications to make a dark enough color, and to make it come out even, but you should be able to make it work. It may also require re-application after washing.

Finally, I would be tempted to just leave it and wear it as is, as who could tell it wasn't supposed to be grey in the first place (unless it is really uneven)?

Best Answer

February 16, 2015 Flag

I accidentally put my husband's white bowls shirt in the wash with a new black pair of pants. So now the white shirt is a nice shade of blue. How do I get it white again?

By Margaret S from Lal-Lal Australia

Best Answer

Can the shirt be bleached? If not, and his shirt has to be white right away, you'll probably need to buy him a new one. I once washed a white tablecloth with a dark burgundy one, and for a long time, I had a nice pearly pink tablecloth. Eventually, as I washed it, it faded back to white, but you'll probably wear the shirt out by washing it.

When my son changed jobs, from waiting tables to working in a bank, he had a bunch of white shirts from his waiter job. I dyed them all blue to give him new shirts for the bank, which saved him a lot of money. Maybe your husband can wear the "new" blue shirt for something else?

Best Answer

February 14, 2016 Flag

I have a one piece blouse that looks like a white tank top with a wine colored jacket. The jacket ran so now the tank portion is pink. Any fix to this?

Best Answer

You could try fabric paint on the formerly white part or sew white lace onto that portion?

Load More
Home and Garden Cleaning Clothing StainsJuly 26, 2011
Products
Rit Color Remover
clothes iron
Crafts Using Iron On Transfers
Sink with hair dye stains
Removing Hair Dye from a Bathroom Sink
Red Hair Dye
Removing Hair Dye Stains from a Bathtub
Shout color catcher box.
Shout Color Catchers Reviews
🎉
🎄