Adjusting Your Computer Screen Size

Whether you are having trouble seeing small text or need to fit more on the screen, it can be very helpful to know how to adjust the screen size on your computer monitor. This is a guide about adjusting your computer screen size.

September 14, 2016 Flag

My mother-in-law is legally blind and has very limited vision. She has been using the magnifier program on her computer with Windows 7 and is able to read her e-mail. It's one line at a time across the top of her monitor. It takes a little of getting use to, but it's do able.

There is another way I found that is better and just so much easier to use.
If you hold down Ctrl and scroll up on your mouse the text on the monitor can go up to 500 and is absolutely huge.

E-mails, Facebook, and anything else, at least on a computer monitor will be so much easier to see. It's a lot easier to read the much larger text compared to the one line with the Windows Magnifier.

At least it does on my Laptop with Windows 7, it might be worth a try.

Anyone with limited vision would be able to see pictures, text, and just about anything they want on the monitor. It takes a very short time to adjust to sliding the images and text side to side to learn how to view everything. But it truly is so much easier for anyone with limited vision.

I placed a regular pen next to my 15 inch screen to show the text enlarged to 500 on my monitor. The other picture actually shows the 500 in the upper right hand corner.

Source: Myself

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

August 25, 2010 Flag

How do I change the size of my computer screen display?

By Eleni from New York, NY

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

It depends on which operating system you have. But as a starter as to where to look you can right click on your desktop (anywhere) and on the menu that opens up pick either properties or Graphic Properties if you have Vista. Look around for the word Resolution and you should see a screen measurement like (number X number), i.e. 1440 X 90. On a vista machine the measurement area is in the Display Area selection or the right side of the window.

Best Answer

You can hold down your control key and and use your scroll on the mouse and it will grow or shrink the size.

Best Answer

Rightclick then select properties and choose setings then your desplay wil show where to reduce your resolution.

July 25, 2010 Flag

When I log into my computer the screen is smaller than the display monitor. I have to manually use the extend arrow to fill the monitor.

By Dr. Osifo

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

If you just want the active window to stretch all the way across the screen, this is my quick fix: I press F11. Of course, that hides the menu controls, but that doesn't matter to me because I use keyboard controls rather than a mouse.

I know there's a way to "maximize" the active window, but I can't remember it. I searched through my menu options and couldn't figure out which option it was under. Sorry, I'm sure you can find it by pressing F1 to go to the help menu.

Best Answer

Lots of times the active window does not open up full size. That's so you can have multiple windows open to use information in each. Just double click the title bar and it will be full size.

Best Answer

Go to an empty spot on the desk top. Right mouse click. Go to properties. Click settings. You can adjust what you want right there. First time I learned this back when Win 95 came out, I blew everything large and could not find my return buttons. The tech expert said to shut down the computer and it would restore itself. Only way to learn is to ask questions!

June 3, 2013 Flag

I can't get to my zoom in or out as my letters are to big on my computer top.

Patricia

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Not "exactly" sure what setting you modified to make your desktop the way you are describing but I may have a solution for you.

Right click on your desktop and select Properties, it may be Graphic Properties. Look for Display Settings, specifically the word Resolution. Yo will see a field for resolution and it will have a number like 1440x900 or 1280x1024. What ever the number is make a note of it so if you want to put things back to how they are you know what the original setting is. Now, making the number bigger will make your screen go smaller. Making the number smaller will make things on the screen (and the screen) look bigger.

From your description of your problem it sounds like you want to make the number bigger. You can play with these setting and not hurt anything. Usually when you make a change to your resolution it will adjust the screen and pop open a window to ask you if you want to keep the settings. There will also be a timer so if you don't say yes or no in the appointed time it will revert back to the original setting.

Display settings can be different for each computer but they pretty much follow the same basic adjustments. The reason for the difference can be your version of Windows or the video card in your laptop/PC.

Best Answer

Another idea you might try, is go up to the toolbar and click on View. In the menu is Zoom; you might be able to change your zoom level there. Also in that menu is Text Size; when you highlight that, there are options for Largest, Larger, Medium, Smaller, Smallest. By changing to a size smaller than what you have now, you might be able to make your letters normal size.

Best Answer

Do you have a wheel on your mouse? Hold down your control key and pull the wheel toward you at the same time. If no wheel, hold down your control key and the arrow down key at the same time. Either way, this will make the letters on your monitor adjust to where you want them.

November 16, 2012 Flag

Everything on my computer screen is large, even the web pages I get on. How do I make it back to the smaller size?

By his.ladiee2k12

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Sounds as if you have gotten the handicapped accessibility turned on. Go into Control Panel and look for the Handicapped icon and turn it off, then restart computer to see if that works. Hope this helps!

Best Answer

If you have a mouse, hold down the Ctrl key and use the scroll button up (larger) or down (smaller). I have eye sight problems and use this method constantly, depending on the page I have up. You'll love it!

Best Answer

This could also be a "resolution" issue. You can experiment with your display resolution to find the display that suits you best.

Right click on your desktop. On the menu that pops up select PROPERTIES.

I don't know what Operating System you are using but it is pretty much the same on all of them. There will be a number of tabs across the top of the properties window and the one you want is "SETTINGS".

On this screen there is an area with a slide labeled "SCREEN RESOLUTION". It will have a range from like 800 by 600 up to 1200 by 800. There should also be a little display window showing you how the change will look. It doesn't really give you a full idea of how the changes look. I would recommend you write down your current resolution and then change it and click APPLY, then OK and see how things change. If you like the changes keep it. If not change it again.

July 12, 2011 Flag

How do I make a page fit the computer screen: they are too big?

By Steven

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

If you will hold down the Ctrl button on your keyboard and roll the wheel in the center of your mouse it will adjust the size of your printing.

Best Answer

Press and hold the "CTRL" key and press the "+" twice to enlarge or press the "-" twice to reduce the size.

Best Answer

dwmoar, making the print bigger is not what Steven is asking, nor I. It is the whole page that is too large for the screen, not the print. I already knew how to make the print larger, I think I posted something about it once. I have found out that to make it fit, you have to change your screen resolution. Here is a link to tell you how to do that:

http://www.micr … on.mspx?mfr=true

September 1, 2011 Flag

How do I make my laptop screen larger? I can barely read it.

By Sherri

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Are you using Windows 7? If so, in the upper right-hand corner (beneath where you minimize, maximize, and close the window) there are a few symbols: a house, a star, and a sprocket. Click the sprocket. The third option is Zoom. If you hover your pointer over Zoom, another box will come up with different percentages. Experiment until you find a percentage that you like.

I figured something else out by accident. I got my newest laptop a few weeks ago, and I don't think my husband's or Dad's do this (theirs are both about a year old, same brand, also with Windows 7). I touch the touch pad with my left hand (or just a finger) and keep it stationary. Then I place a finger from my right hand on the touch pad, and slide it diagonally. If I slide it toward the bottom left, it zooms out (makes things smaller); if I slide it toward the upper right, it zooms in (makes things bigger).

On my older laptop (Windows XP), toward the bottom right corner there is a magnifying glass with a percentage next to it (right above where it shows the time). You can click either the percentage and it'll just change the zoom, or click the drop box arrow and it'll give you choices and you select the percentage you want.

I don't know about Vista. Our older laptops came loaded with it, but we didn't want to mess with that so we bought XP and installed that instead.

Hope my instructions are easy to understand and helpful. Good luck!

Best Answer

If it's just that the writing is too small then click and hold the 'control' button then scroll up (or down) with your mouse wheel until you reach the desired size. If you go bigger than the screen allows it will create a bar at the bottom which you can move side to side to be able to read the entire screen. Hope this is of some help.

Best Answer

Most operating systems, including Windows and the various Linuxes, should have and "Accessibility" set of controls, usually under "Accessories". You can find things like screen magnifiers, which enlarge sections of the screen for you.

November 30, 2014 Flag

On one item the screen size is so large I cannot operate on it.

By Bill

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Try pressing Ctrl and the "minus" sign at the same time. Hold down Ctrl and keep pressing minus.

This usually works.

Thank you! That worked. Holding down the Ctrl button and the minus button... that worked!

Thank you. It worked!

October 7, 2012 Flag

I have changed my monitor, a Samsung Syncmaster 753s, to a Samsung syncmaster943nwx. Now the screen is 1/2 inch blank either way. How can I adjust my screen to full screen?

By DJ Krishna

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

When you right click on your desktop you get a menu and usually the bottom option is "Properties" or "Graphic Properties". Select that.

The next window that opens can have numerous possibilities but you are mainly looking for "Display Options". I tested it with the monitor I am currently using and had to go to "Graphic Properties" and then on the window that opened "Display Options". The key word is "Display".

Once you get into the area of your display you should see a selection for "Resolution" or "Screen Resolution" and you will see a number like "1440 X 900" (that is my current resolution). This number is displayed in a drop down menu. Select one of the other resolutions and see how the screen looks.

In the past Microsoft has always had a little window pop open that says, "You have changed your resolution to #### X ### Click OKAY to keep this resoltion or it will return to the previous resolution in "insert time here". Basically, if you change it and don't like it it will change back pretty quickly. I think it is 30 seconds. You should find a resolution that fills the whole screen.

April 2, 2010 Flag

A picture is too big to fit on my monitor. How do I make it smaller?

By Jo

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You need to resize the picture with a photo editing program. First, check your display settings. You can do this by right-clicking on the desktop, go to properties, display settings, advanced (sorry, I can't check right now, I'm doing this from memory. I'm working on a Mac.)

Let's say the display settings are 1024x768. You need to use some photo editing software. Figure out how, in the software, you can resize the photo to 1024x768

To modify your picture you can use Microsoft Paint which comes with Windows. Another program might be easier if you have one but I wanted you to know you had MS Paint just in case you didn't.

You can also modify your display settings to see all of the picture if you really want to keep it original size. I would recommend you make a copy of the picture and work with it. not the original (just in case you mess up).

August 25, 2010 Flag

I need help with changing the screen size on my computer.

By Lakisha from Whitescreek, TN

Answers:

Adjust My Computer's Screen Size

1. 1) Go to your Desktop
  2. 2) Right-click on a blank area of the Desktop
  3. 3) Click on 'Properties'
  4. 4) There is a 'slider' under Screen Resolution, slide it left or right to change the resolution of your screen..
  5. If you're not computer savy, I'd recommend that you go to a good book store and ask for "Teach Yourself Visually" book on your operating system (WinXP, Vista, or Win7) Excellent pictures to accomplish the majority of issues with your computer. Bon Chance!

(03/30/2010)

By Cajun62234

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

April 2, 2010 Flag

Please help me with my computer problem. My computer screen is bigger than I expected. I can't correctly adjust the display settings. I adjust it into small resolution, but still the screen is too large. Does anyone have help on how can I fix it?

By Ivy15 from Philippines

Answers:

Adjusting Computer Monitor Display Settings

Ask your computer the question. I use Yahoo or get books from library. I got the ones that are for "Dummies" it has lot of good info in them, good luck. (12/18/2009)

By kffrmw88

You should be able to hold down the control (Ctrl) button and use the wheel on your mouse to zoom in or out on screen. Hope that works and good luck (12/20/2009)

By Ladylynnk

Sounds to me as if you have to adjust the resolution. You have to get in to Display by whichever means the operation system you use uses to get there. Usually it begins by right clicking the desktop, then Display or Screen resolution if using Win7. The recommended resolution for your monitor will be stated.

The text can be adjusted by using the page icon in Explorer 7 or 8. I am not sure if the other Explorer versions have that or not. You can also use zoom then to make you text larger or smaller.

The higher number screen resolutions give smaller screens, ie. everything smaller and more will fit on the page. Smaller numbers give bigger screens. The resolution for a 19 inch monitor ideally is set to 1490 x 900. I could give you clearer directions if I knew the operating system you use or the size of your monitor. Many things you can do to adjust your desktop besides the ones I mention, but these are a start. (12/20/2009)

By lavonneann

If adjusting the monitor resolution doesn't help, perhaps you need to adjust the monitor, itself. I don't know about all of the new, flat-screen monitors, but most monitors (especially the older CRT ones) have buttons on them, which you can use to change the height, width, etc., of your display. One button will be a menu, that tells you which buttons to use to change a variety of settings. I hope this info helps. (12/21/2009)

By WildIrish

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

March 29, 2010 Flag

The picture on our laptop is too large to fit the screen. How can I make it smaller? I am not very computer savvy. Thanks.

By drmeidl from Springfield, MN

Answers:

Adjust My Computer's Screen Size

Go into your operating system's preferences and there should be a screen size or monitor size option. Make sure you have the correct settings for your equipment. You could also search the help feature for "changing screen size".

If you can't get this to work, you might want to tell us what operating system and laptop you are using so someone could send you specific instructions.

Good luck. (09/18/2009)

By jess

Adjust My Computer's Screen Size

This may be too simple, but are you clicking the small "maximize" symbol on the top right hand side of the screen? Looks like a little square. (09/19/2009)

By sanmer25

Adjust My Computer's Screen Size

Go to Start, Settings, Control Panel, Display. Click on the Settings tab and here you can adjust the pixel size. Sometimes it is set too large for reasonable use. Write down what it is before you change it just in case you want to change it back. Under Display is where you can change everything about how your screen looks, including your wallpaper, and screen saver. You can also change your energy savings settings here. (09/21/2009)

By Beth

Adjust My Computer's Screen Size

If you're not computer "savvy", I'd recommend that you go to a book store and ask for the section of computer aid books. There are several books that assist you (pictorially) through the basics of computer fixes. It's the best $30 - $40 you'll ever spend on your computer.

http://www.amazon.com/Master-Visually-Windows-XP-CD-ROM/dp/0764536214

http://www.wiley.com/WileyCDA/WileyTitle/productCd-0470503866.html

http://www.tweakxp.com/program_tweaks.aspx (03/20/2010)

By Cajun62234

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

September 18, 2009 Flag

I recently bought a 17 inch Toshiba satellite laptop and I was hoping websites would appear bigger. But they don't! They are the same size as my 15 inch computer, it has two white BLANK columns on either side of the website so that it is the same size as my other computer! Why buy a 17 inch if it is only going to be bigger for movies that you watch? Am I doing something wrong? Is there something I can adjust? I really don't want to call customer service because it will be someone who can't speak English.

Paula from GA

Answers:

Adjust My Computer's Screen Size

Hi Paula,

What resolution are you running? If you are running windows as your operating system. You can find this information under your control panel, display, settings. It will have a bar that can be moved to display your screen at 1024 by 768 (which is smaller) or if you move the bar to the left 800 by 600 (which makes the screen have a larger resolution. ) I say move to the left because it sounds like you are running 1024 by 768 resolution.
Let me know how it works or if you have any questions.

~Wendola~ (09/05/2006)

By ~Wendola~

Adjust My Computer's Screen Size

I lowered it from the preset of 1440 x 900 down to 1024 x 764but the picture is blurry. It is a nice size but too blurry. Anyway to make it clearer or sharper?

Any lower and it is way too big.

Why would anyone want 17 inch laptop if the web pages are going to load smaller than a 15 inch? (09/05/2006)

By Paula from Ga.

Adjust My Computer's Screen Size

Wow. Thank you, Wendola.
I tried this and it works.
Less strain on my eyes.
Thanks again

Shirley Belleville Ont., Canada

(09/06/2006)

By shir763

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Computers TipsDecember 2, 2016
A person cleaning a flat screen monitor with a cloth.
Cleaning a Flat Screen Monitor
A Sharpie marker with its lid off.
Removing Permanent Ink (Sharpie) from a Computer Screen
Computer Monitor
Adjusting the Resolution on a Computer Monitor
Black laptop on a white background.
Buying a Laptop
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 17, 2017 at 1:56:39 PM on 10.0.0.113 in 5 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.