Adjust My Computer's Screen Size

By eleni 1

How do I change the size of my computer screen display?

By Eleni from New York, NY

Filter Sort

By Suntydt 75 877 Flag

It depends on which operating system you have. But as a starter as to where to look you can right click on your desktop (anywhere) and on the menu that opens up pick either properties or Graphic Properties if you have Vista. Look around for the word Resolution and you should see a screen measurement like (number X number), i.e. 1440 X 90. On a vista machine the measurement area is in the Display Area selection or the right side of the window.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Lelia Jo Cordell 51 1,936 Flag

If you're wanting to manually "stretch" the open window, there are little knobs at the bottom of your actual monitor. One adjusts the vertical size, another the horizontal size. Since I use keystroke combinations rather than mouse clicks, I just use the F11 key to have the active window fill the entire screen. Hope this helps.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Linda 45 303 Flag

You can hold down your control key and and use your scroll on the mouse and it will grow or shrink the size.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

Question: Changing the Display Size on Computer Screen

Everything on my computer screen is large, even the web pages I get on. How do I make it back to the smaller size?

By his.ladiee2k12

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By eileen 5 75 Flag

Using your mouse, press Ctrl plus scroll up for a larger view. For a smaller view, press Ctrl and scroll down.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Pages Too Big for Computer Screen

How do I make a page fit the computer screen: they are too big?

By Steven

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Elaine S. 39 243 Flag

dwmoar, making the print bigger is not what Steven is asking, nor I. It is the whole page that is too large for the screen, not the print. I already knew how to make the print larger, I think I posted something about it once. I have found out that to make it fit, you have to change your screen resolution. Here is a link to tell you how to do that:

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/ ... ange_screen_resolution.mspx?mfr=true

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Enlarging the Screen Display on a Laptop

How do I make my laptop screen larger? I can barely read it.

By Sherri

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Rob 1 52 Flag

Most operating systems, including Windows and the various Linuxes, should have and "Accessibility" set of controls, usually under "Accessories". You can find things like screen magnifiers, which enlarge sections of the screen for you.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Archive: Adjust My Computer's Screen Size

I recently bought a 17 inch Toshiba satellite laptop and I was hoping websites would appear bigger. But they don't! They are the same size as my 15 inch computer, it has two white BLANK columns on either side of the website so that it is the same size as my other computer! Why buy a 17 inch if it is only going to be bigger for movies that you watch? Am I doing something wrong? Is there something I can adjust? I really don't want to call customer service because it will be someone who can't speak English.

Paula from GA

Feedback:

RE: Adjust My Computer's Screen Size

Hi Paula,

What resolution are you running? If you are running windows as your operating system. You can find this information under your control panel, display, settings. It will have a bar that can be moved to display your screen at 1024 by 768 (which is smaller) or if you move the bar to the left 800 by 600 (which makes the screen have a larger resolution. ) I say move to the left because it sounds like you are running 1024 by 768 resolution.
Let me know how it works or if you have any questions.

~Wendola~ (09/05/2006)

By ~Wendola~

RE: Adjust My Computer's Screen Size

I lowered it from the preset of 1440 x 900 down to 1024 x 764but the picture is blurry. It is a nice size but too blurry. Anyway to make it clearer or sharper?

Any lower and it is way too big.

Why would anyone want 17 inch laptop if the web pages are going to load smaller than a 15 inch? (09/05/2006)

By Paula from Ga.

RE: Adjust My Computer's Screen Size

Wow. Thank you, Wendola.
I tried this and it works.
Less strain on my eyes.
Thanks again

Shirley Belleville Ont., Canada

(09/06/2006)

By shir763

The picture on our laptop is too large to fit the screen. How can I make it smaller? I am not very computer savvy. Thanks.

By drmeidl from Springfield, MN

Feedback:

RE: Adjust My Computer's Screen Size

Go into your operating system's preferences and there should be a screen size or monitor size option. Make sure you have the correct settings for your equipment. You could also search the help feature for "changing screen size".

If you can't get this to work, you might want to tell us what operating system and laptop you are using so someone could send you specific instructions.

Good luck. (09/18/2009)

By jess

RE: Adjust My Computer's Screen Size

This may be too simple, but are you clicking the small "maximize" symbol on the top right hand side of the screen? Looks like a little square. (09/19/2009)

By sanmer25

RE: Adjust My Computer's Screen Size

Go to Start, Settings, Control Panel, Display. Click on the Settings tab and here you can adjust the pixel size. Sometimes it is set too large for reasonable use. Write down what it is before you change it just in case you want to change it back. Under Display is where you can change everything about how your screen looks, including your wallpaper, and screen saver. You can also change your energy savings settings here. (09/21/2009)

By Beth

RE: Adjust My Computer's Screen Size

If you're not computer "savvy", I'd recommend that you go to a book store and ask for the section of computer aid books. There are several books that assist you (pictorially) through the basics of computer fixes. It's the best $30 - $40 you'll ever spend on your computer.

http://www.amazon.com/Master-Visually-Windows-XP-CD-ROM/dp/0764536214

http://www.wiley.com/WileyCDA/WileyTitle/productCd-0470503866.html

http://www.tweakxp.com/program_tweaks.aspx (03/20/2010)

By Cajun62234

I need help with changing the screen size on my computer.

By Lakisha from Whitescreek, TN

Feedback:

RE: Adjust My Computer's Screen Size

1. 1) Go to your Desktop
  2. 2) Right-click on a blank area of the Desktop
  3. 3) Click on 'Properties'
  4. 4) There is a 'slider' under Screen Resolution, slide it left or right to change the resolution of your screen..
  5. If you're not computer savy, I'd recommend that you go to a good book store and ask for "Teach Yourself Visually" book on your operating system (WinXP, Vista, or Win7) Excellent pictures to accomplish the majority of issues with your computer. Bon Chance!

(03/30/2010)

By Cajun62234

Computer Monitor
Adjusting the Resolution on a Computer Monitor
Computers TipsAugust 25, 2010
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Cat scratching at a screen door.
Keeping Cats from Scratching Screen Doors
A person cleaning a flat screen monitor with a cloth.
Cleaning a Flat Screen Monitor
A Sharpie marker with its lid off.
Removing Permanent Ink (Sharpie) from a Computer Screen
Computer Monitor
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 8, 2016 at 2:40:40 PM on 10.0.2.194 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

All ArticlesQuestionsAnswersArchives
NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulMost AnswersFewest AnswersBest AnswersRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings