Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Adjust My Computer's Screen Size

How do I change the size of my computer screen display?

By Eleni from New York, NY

By Linda [36]08/28/2010

You can hold down your control key and and use your scroll on the mouse and it will grow or shrink the size.

By Lelia Jo Cordell [49]08/28/2010

If you're wanting to manually "stretch" the open window, there are little knobs at the bottom of your actual monitor. One adjusts the vertical size, another the horizontal size. Since I use keystroke combinations rather than mouse clicks, I just use the F11 key to have the active window fill the entire screen. Hope this helps.

By Suntydt [75]08/25/2010

It depends on which operating system you have. But as a starter as to where to look you can right click on your desktop (anywhere) and on the menu that opens up pick either properties or Graphic Properties if you have Vista. Look around for the word Resolution and you should see a screen measurement like (number X number), i.e. 1440 X 90. On a vista machine the measurement area is in the Display Area selection or the right side of the window.

Here are questions related to Adjust My Computer's Screen Size.

Question: Changing the Display Size on Computer Screen

Everything on my computer screen is large, even the web pages I get on. How do I make it back to the smaller size?

By his.ladiee2k12

Most Recent Answer

By eileen11/21/2012

Using your mouse, press Ctrl plus scroll up for a larger view. For a smaller view, press Ctrl and scroll down.

Question: Enlarging the Screen Display on a Laptop

How do I make my laptop screen larger? I can barely read it.

By Sherri

Most Recent Answer

By Rob09/15/2011

Most operating systems, including Windows and the various Linuxes, should have and "Accessibility" set of controls, usually under "Accessories". You can find things like screen magnifiers, which enlarge sections of the screen for you.

Question: Pages Too Big for Computer Screen

How do I make a page fit the computer screen: they are too big?

By Steven

Most Recent Answer

By Elaine S.08/03/2011

dwmoar, making the print bigger is not what Steven is asking, nor I. It is the whole page that is too large for the screen, not the print. I already knew how to make the print larger, I think I posted something about it once. I have found out that to make it fit, you have to change your screen resolution. Here is a link to tell you how to do that:
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/ ... ange_screen_resolution.mspx?mfr=true

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Adjust My Computer's Screen Size

I recently bought a 17 inch Toshiba satellite laptop and I was hoping websites would appear bigger. But they don't! They are the same size as my 15 inch computer, it has two white BLANK columns on either side of the website so that it is the same size as my other computer! Why buy a 17 inch if it is only going to be bigger for movies that you watch? Am I doing something wrong? Is there something I can adjust? I really don't want to call customer service because it will be someone who can't speak English.

Paula from GA

RE: Adjust My Computer's Screen Size

Hi Paula, What resolution are you running? If you are running windows as your operating system. You can find this information under your control panel, display, settings. It will have a bar that can be moved to display your screen at 1024 by 768 (which is smaller) or if you move the bar to the left 800 by 600 (which makes the screen have a larger resolution. ) I say move to the left because it sounds like you are running 1024 by 768 resolution. Let me know how it works or if you have any questions. ~Wendola~ (09/05/2006)

By ~Wendola~

RE: Adjust My Computer's Screen Size

I lowered it from the preset of 1440 x 900 down to 1024 x 764but the picture is blurry. It is a nice size but too blurry. Anyway to make it clearer or sharper? Any lower and it is way too big. Why would anyone want 17 inch laptop if the web pages are going to load smaller than a 15 inch? (09/05/2006)

By Paula from Ga.

RE: Adjust My Computer's Screen Size

Wow. Thank you, Wendola. I tried this and it works. Less strain on my eyes. Thanks again Shirley Belleville Ont., Canada (09/06/2006)

By shir763

The picture on our laptop is too large to fit the screen. How can I make it smaller? I am not very computer savvy. Thanks.

By drmeidl from Springfield, MN

RE: Adjust My Computer's Screen Size

Go into your operating system's preferences and there should be a screen size or monitor size option. Make sure you have the correct settings for your equipment. You could also search the help feature for "changing screen size".

If you can't get this to work, you might want to tell us what operating system and laptop you are using so someone could send you specific instructions. Good luck. (09/18/2009)

By jess

RE: Adjust My Computer's Screen Size

This may be too simple, but are you clicking the small "maximize" symbol on the top right hand side of the screen? Looks like a little square. (09/19/2009)

By sanmer25

RE: Adjust My Computer's Screen Size

Go to Start, Settings, Control Panel, Display. Click on the Settings tab and here you can adjust the pixel size. Sometimes it is set too large for reasonable use. Write down what it is before you change it just in case you want to change it back. Under Display is where you can change everything about how your screen looks, including your wallpaper, and screen saver. You can also change your energy savings settings here. (09/21/2009)

By Beth

RE: Adjust My Computer's Screen Size

If you're not computer "savvy", I'd recommend that you go to a book store and ask for the section of computer aid books. There are several books that assist you (pictorially) through the basics of computer fixes. It's the best $30 - $40 you'll ever spend on your computer.

http://www.amazon.com/Master-Visually-Windows-XP-CD-ROM/dp/0764536214

http://www.wiley.com/WileyCDA/WileyTitle/productCd-0470503866.html

http://www.tweakxp.com/program_tweaks.aspx (03/20/2010)

By Cajun62234

I need help with changing the screen size on my computer.

By Lakisha from Whitescreek, TN

RE: Adjust My Computer's Screen Size

1. 1) Go to your Desktop
  2. 2) Right-click on a blank area of the Desktop
  3. 3) Click on 'Properties'
  4. 4) There is a 'slider' under Screen Resolution, slide it left or right to change the resolution of your screen..
  5. If you're not computer savy, I'd recommend that you go to a good book store and ask for "Teach Yourself Visually" book on your operating system (WinXP, Vista, or Win7) Excellent pictures to accomplish the majority of issues with your computer. Bon Chance! (03/30/2010)

By Cajun62234