Adjust My Computer's Screen Size

How do I change the size of my computer screen display?

By Eleni from New York, NY

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

It depends on which operating system you have. But as a starter as to where to look you can right click on your desktop (anywhere) and on the menu that opens up pick either properties or Graphic Properties if you have Vista. Look around for the word Resolution and you should see a screen measurement like (number X number), i.e. 1440 X 90. On a vista machine the measurement area is in the Display Area selection or the right side of the window.

If you're wanting to manually "stretch" the open window, there are little knobs at the bottom of your actual monitor. One adjusts the vertical size, another the horizontal size. Since I use keystroke combinations rather than mouse clicks, I just use the F11 key to have the active window fill the entire screen. Hope this helps.

You can hold down your control key and and use your scroll on the mouse and it will grow or shrink the size.

Add your voice! Click below to comment on this post or add your answer to this question. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom.

November 16, 2012 Flag

Everything on my computer screen is large, even the web pages I get on. How do I make it back to the smaller size?

By his.ladiee2k12

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Sounds as if you have gotten the handicapped accessibility turned on. Go into Control Panel and look for the Handicapped icon and turn it off, then restart computer to see if that works. Hope this helps!

If you have a mouse, hold down the Ctrl key and use the scroll button up (larger) or down (smaller). I have eye sight problems and use this method constantly, depending on the page I have up. You'll love it!

This could also be a "resolution" issue. You can experiment with your display resolution to find the display that suits you best.

Right click on your desktop. On the menu that pops up select PROPERTIES.

I don't know what Operating System you are using but it is pretty much the same on all of them. There will be a number of tabs across the top of the properties window and the one you want is "SETTINGS".

On this screen there is an area with a slide labeled "SCREEN RESOLUTION". It will have a range from like 800 by 600 up to 1200 by 800. There should also be a little display window showing you how the change will look. It doesn't really give you a full idea of how the changes look. I would recommend you write down your current resolution and then change it and click APPLY, then OK and see how things change. If you like the changes keep it. If not change it again.

Using your mouse, press Ctrl plus scroll up for a larger view. For a smaller view, press Ctrl and scroll down.

July 12, 2011 Flag

How do I make a page fit the computer screen: they are too big?

By Steven

If you will hold down the Ctrl button on your keyboard and roll the wheel in the center of your mouse it will adjust the size of your printing.

I am not the original person who asked this question but there is no 100 or 125% at the bottom right of my screen.

Press and hold the "CTRL" key and press the "+" twice to enlarge or press the "-" twice to reduce the size.

dwmoar, making the print bigger is not what Steven is asking, nor I. It is the whole page that is too large for the screen, not the print. I already knew how to make the print larger, I think I posted something about it once. I have found out that to make it fit, you have to change your screen resolution. Here is a link to tell you how to do that:

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/ ... ange_screen_resolution.mspx?mfr=true

Read More Answers...

September 1, 2011 Flag

How do I make my laptop screen larger? I can barely read it.

By Sherri

Are you using Windows 7? If so, in the upper right-hand corner (beneath where you minimize, maximize, and close the window) there are a few symbols: a house, a star, and a sprocket. Click the sprocket. The third option is Zoom. If you hover your pointer over Zoom, another box will come up with different percentages. Experiment until you find a percentage that you like.

I figured something else out by accident. I got my newest laptop a few weeks ago, and I don't think my husband's or Dad's do this (theirs are both about a year old, same brand, also with Windows 7). I touch the touch pad with my left hand (or just a finger) and keep it stationary. Then I place a finger from my right hand on the touch pad, and slide it diagonally. If I slide it toward the bottom left, it zooms out (makes things smaller); if I slide it toward the upper right, it zooms in (makes things bigger).

On my older laptop (Windows XP), toward the bottom right corner there is a magnifying glass with a percentage next to it (right above where it shows the time). You can click either the percentage and it'll just change the zoom, or click the drop box arrow and it'll give you choices and you select the percentage you want.

I don't know about Vista. Our older laptops came loaded with it, but we didn't want to mess with that so we bought XP and installed that instead.

Hope my instructions are easy to understand and helpful. Good luck!

If it's just that the writing is too small then click and hold the 'control' button then scroll up (or down) with your mouse wheel until you reach the desired size. If you go bigger than the screen allows it will create a bar at the bottom which you can move side to side to be able to read the entire screen. Hope this is of some help.

Hold down your control button. Click on a blank spot on the screen. Turn your wheel on your mouse upward. It will enlarge.

Most operating systems, including Windows and the various Linuxes, should have and "Accessibility" set of controls, usually under "Accessories". You can find things like screen magnifiers, which enlarge sections of the screen for you.

August 25, 2010 Flag

I need help with changing the screen size on my computer.

By Lakisha from Whitescreek, TN

Answers:

Adjust My Computer's Screen Size

1. 1) Go to your Desktop
  2. 2) Right-click on a blank area of the Desktop
  3. 3) Click on 'Properties'
  4. 4) There is a 'slider' under Screen Resolution, slide it left or right to change the resolution of your screen..
  5. If you're not computer savy, I'd recommend that you go to a good book store and ask for "Teach Yourself Visually" book on your operating system (WinXP, Vista, or Win7) Excellent pictures to accomplish the majority of issues with your computer. Bon Chance!

(03/30/2010)

By Cajun62234

March 29, 2010 Flag

The picture on our laptop is too large to fit the screen. How can I make it smaller? I am not very computer savvy. Thanks.

By drmeidl from Springfield, MN

Answers:

Adjust My Computer's Screen Size

Go into your operating system's preferences and there should be a screen size or monitor size option. Make sure you have the correct settings for your equipment. You could also search the help feature for "changing screen size".

If you can't get this to work, you might want to tell us what operating system and laptop you are using so someone could send you specific instructions.

Good luck. (09/18/2009)

By jess

Adjust My Computer's Screen Size

This may be too simple, but are you clicking the small "maximize" symbol on the top right hand side of the screen? Looks like a little square. (09/19/2009)

By sanmer25

Adjust My Computer's Screen Size

Go to Start, Settings, Control Panel, Display. Click on the Settings tab and here you can adjust the pixel size. Sometimes it is set too large for reasonable use. Write down what it is before you change it just in case you want to change it back. Under Display is where you can change everything about how your screen looks, including your wallpaper, and screen saver. You can also change your energy savings settings here. (09/21/2009)

By Beth

Adjust My Computer's Screen Size

If you're not computer "savvy", I'd recommend that you go to a book store and ask for the section of computer aid books. There are several books that assist you (pictorially) through the basics of computer fixes. It's the best $30 - $40 you'll ever spend on your computer.

http://www.amazon.com/Master-Visually-Windows-XP-CD-ROM/dp/0764536214

http://www.wiley.com/WileyCDA/WileyTitle/productCd-0470503866.html

http://www.tweakxp.com/program_tweaks.aspx (03/20/2010)

By Cajun62234

September 18, 2009 Flag

I recently bought a 17 inch Toshiba satellite laptop and I was hoping websites would appear bigger. But they don't! They are the same size as my 15 inch computer, it has two white BLANK columns on either side of the website so that it is the same size as my other computer! Why buy a 17 inch if it is only going to be bigger for movies that you watch? Am I doing something wrong? Is there something I can adjust? I really don't want to call customer service because it will be someone who can't speak English.

Paula from GA

Answers:

Adjust My Computer's Screen Size

Hi Paula,

What resolution are you running? If you are running windows as your operating system. You can find this information under your control panel, display, settings. It will have a bar that can be moved to display your screen at 1024 by 768 (which is smaller) or if you move the bar to the left 800 by 600 (which makes the screen have a larger resolution. ) I say move to the left because it sounds like you are running 1024 by 768 resolution.
Let me know how it works or if you have any questions.

~Wendola~ (09/05/2006)

By ~Wendola~

Adjust My Computer's Screen Size

I lowered it from the preset of 1440 x 900 down to 1024 x 764but the picture is blurry. It is a nice size but too blurry. Anyway to make it clearer or sharper?

Any lower and it is way too big.

Why would anyone want 17 inch laptop if the web pages are going to load smaller than a 15 inch? (09/05/2006)

By Paula from Ga.

Adjust My Computer's Screen Size

Wow. Thank you, Wendola.
I tried this and it works.
Less strain on my eyes.
Thanks again

Shirley Belleville Ont., Canada

(09/06/2006)

By shir763

Computer Monitor
Adjusting the Resolution on a Computer Monitor
Computers TipsAugust 25, 2010
cigarette smell computer
Removing Cigarette Smoke Odors from a Computer
A person cleaning a flat screen monitor with a cloth.
Cleaning a Flat Screen Monitor
A Sharpie marker with its lid off.
Removing Permanent Ink (Sharpie) from a Computer Screen
Cleaning a Laptop Keyboard, Photo of a laptop keyboard.
Laptop Computer Tips and Tricks
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 25, 2016 at 9:06:17 AM on 10.0.2.111 in 611 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.