Browsing: Cleaning a Percolator

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Cleaning a Percolator

Coffee stains can be stubborn to remove from a pot. This guide is about cleaning a percolator.

Percolator
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

December 17, 2010 Flag

The instruction book for my percolator says to wash with dish detergent. I am worried about the after taste. Is there anything else to use that may clean it better? Once again thanks for your input.

By Araucano

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

DIP-IT is for stain removal of a well used perk. You can use vinegar, CLR or even unsweetened koolaid will clean the lime out. The dishwashing detergent is the sink type. As you rinse all dishes you wash, this is the same. Do not use dishwasher detergent as it contains other stronger chemicals that are meant for the machine use, where it is quickly diluted, washed then rinsed.

There is one thing I do every few days. I use a percolator brush to clean the stem where the water/coffee goes through. A percolator brush is a long small brush that will go through the center tube in the pot, using soap and water will remove the oil that collects in the pot. Then I also use white vinegar too to remove the mineral deposits.

It really depends on whether your percolator is made of aluminum or steel. Aluminum (the old-fashioned Italian one with the black plastic handle): really only rinse out with water and let it air out after each use. The coffee oil residue makes the coffee taste better after a number of uses (all Italians swear by this including myself). If you haven't used it in a while and/or there is mold just clean with dish washing liquid, and brew a couple of times with coffee which you then DO NOT drink.

Steel: this you can wash like any steel pot. I've never seen anyone clean the actual pipe beyond just rinsing it through.

Try not to overdo it, it's just coffee and boiled water in there and unless it molds there is little there to harm you! they are supposed to look "browned" with age too!

Read More Answers...

October 19, 2015 Flag

I have a stainless steel electric percolator. My life has been hectic for the last 3 months with illness in my family. Apparently I made coffee one day and forgot to clean my pot and now it is mildewed. Can anyone tell me how to clean it using natural organic stuff or is it ruined now?

Thank you! :-)

Use white vinegar and water equal parts and run like u were making coffee. Do it twice and then empty and fill with just water and run it twice.

December 29, 2004 Flag

Call me old fashioned, if you like, but after many tries I still go back to my electric percolator as I feel it not only makes great coffee but keeps it hot compared to many of the Mister Coffee type appliances.

Here is how to take care of it:

Your percolator will have a sweet clean interior if you fill it occasionally with hot soapy water & 2 Tablespoons of baking soda, then perk it for 10 minutes. Drain, refill it with hot water & perk 5 minutes more. Rinse well.

By joesgirl

December 8, 2010 Flag

How do you clean the coffee stains from the inside of an aluminum percolator?

By Willow

Fill your aluminum percolator with water and add two tablespoons of cream of tartar per quart of water or add one teaspoon of white distilled vinegar per cup of water. Let it perk approximately 10 minutes or until the stains lift. Pour out the mixture and rinse well with water.

Home and Garden Cleaning AppliancesMay 28, 2013
Smooth Top Stove
Cleaning a Smooth Top Stove
Stainless Steel Coffee Pot
Cleaning a Stainless Steel Coffee Pot
Percolator Filter
Finding Replacement Percolator Parts
Coffee Percolator
Making Coffee in a Percolator
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 21, 2016 at 6:09:26 PM on 10.0.0.77 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.