Craftsman Riding Mower Won't Start

It is very frustrating to roll out your mower to cut the lawn only to find that it won't start. This is a guide about Craftsman riding mower won't start.

Craftsman Riding Mower
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

June 15, 2016 Flag

I am 13 years old and I have a Craftsman 19.5 turbo cooled 2 cylinder
lawn tractor; there is no mow deck at all. I bought it for my birthday last year.

I can't get it started. I think it is the carb and the fuel pump. I just don't know how to fix those two things. Does anyone know how? I am trying to get it going so I can do the tractor pull at the Windsor fair.

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Have the checked the spark plug? If it sparks it should run, unless the gas is bad. Check to see if its getting fuel and the fuel is clean. If not getting fuel, may need to check the fuel filter, which may need replacing. Check float in carb, if stuck, clean it and tap the float with your finger, raise and let it down to see if the fuel flows into the carb. Is the starter turning over? If not, may need a new starter.

June 8, 2016 Flag

I have a 21 horse power Craftsman riding mower with a Briggs and Stratton motor. It was running fine; I shut it off and blew the grass off before putting it up and it will not start back. I have put a new battery and starter on it, but it won't turn the motor over unless you take the plug out and then it turns it over fine. But when you put the plug back, it won't turn over. What is wrong with it?

It sounds like the valves need adjustment. If they are out of tolerance they do not vent the cylinder properly creating an excessive amount of pressure that your starter cannot overcome. This just recently happened to me. It is actually fairly common, especially on the B & S powered tractors so I have found out. You can go on the brigss and stratton website to get the valve clearances, mine was 0.004"-0.006" and watch a video on youtube on how to do it. It is actually super easy, took me 20 minutes to do my first time ever doing it.

Read More Answers...

May 14, 2016 Flag

Nothing happens when I turn the key. It will start when I run a jumper cable from the battery to the starter. I replaced the solenoid, but it is still not starting. I have no idea what to do or check?

Either what Mary Lou P. stated or it might be the kill switch to the mower deck if it is attached.

Read More Answers...

June 4, 2016 Flag

I have a 18.5 hp twin Kolhler magnum mod.mv18s. I have voltage at the electronic ignition module, nothing at the coil pack, and no spark at the plugs.

March 30, 2016 Flag

I have a Crafstman riding mower. I haven't used it for about nine months. Unfortunately before winter came nothing was done to "winterize" it. Now I can't get it to start. Should I change the oil? Empty the gas and refill it? As you can tell I'm not a "handyman"!

ALL SEARS/CRAFTSMAN lawn and garden products are GARBAGE. Buy a case of quality beer. Enlist the help of 3 of your best friends or neighbors. Ask them to help you heave you Craftsman riding lawnmower in the the nearest large dumpster. After that, drink up and enjoy the rest of your life.

Read More Answers...

June 11, 2016 Flag

My Craftsman 42" riding mower with a 17.5 hp Briggs and Stratton motor won't turn over. I've replaced the starter, solenoid (twice), ignition switch, and battery. I was able to start it when I jumped the solenoid with 2 screw drivers. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

April 30, 2016 Flag

My brother has a 18 hp. Craftsman ride. It turns over, but doesn't start unless I put my hand over the air intake at the filter. Then it runs until I take off my hand.

I have the answer to your problem. NEVER purchase a SEARS/CRAFTSMAN lawn aND garden product from SEARS. IF it says it's CRAFTSMAN....it's CRAP!!

HOW much easier the world would be if we all were not suckers!!!

I bought a BRAND NEW Sears/Craftsman T1000 from a Sears store in Texas in September of 2015. Mowed a smooth acre of grass until winter. Even changed the oil and filter after the first 4 hours of use. Only ran with non-alcohol 86 octane gasoline.

When really cold weather hit, I drained off the gas tank and changed the oil again. Tarped the tractor. Now it's summer in Texas and time to mow. T1000 won't start with fresh gasoline, new fuel filter and new oil. When I purchased this mower IN CASH from Sears, I paid an additionAL $300+ for 3 years of nuclear-powered warranty. Getting Sears to come repair my mower is equivalent to attempting to remove my own brain tumor with an X-Actor knife.

My answer is:

Never every by ANYTHING from SEARS. NEVER buy Craftsman products.

January 14, 2016 Flag

I have a Craftsman 917.289700 with a 24hp B&S engine. Today it quit running while mowing. I thought it was gas, so I filled it up, but now it is a dead duck. Read in my manual, if you can call it that, to check a 30 amp fuse behind the dash, but no can see. Does anyone have a photo that would locate this for me?

My mower starts but when I let the clutch out, it dies. Help please

Read More Answers...

October 22, 2015 Flag

Why will my Craftsman lawn tractor not start with a new battery, new spark plugs, new gas, gas filter, oil filter, and new oil?

I have a 2015 Craftsman T1000. Bought it BRAND NEW from Sears and spent an additional $300+ for an extended nuclear-powered warranty. It has 35 hours of total time on the engine since date of purchase. When winter came, I drained the non-ethanol 86 octane gas and changed oil again.

It's summer in Texas and time to mow my 1 acre of grass.

Damned thing wont start. Fresh gas, new fuel filter, new air filter. Getting a warranty booking with Sears is close to trying to remove your own brain tumor.

My blame goes to BRIGGS & STRATTON. MY answer for you is to pray to the gods. This CRAFTSMAN equipment is pure GARBAGE!!!

Read More Answers...

August 3, 2015 Flag

I have a Craftsman automatic 42" cut Koehler Pro 16.5 ohm, (S.s# 052000b007775/ Mod # 917.271141). I can not get it to start! I replaced the battery, spark plug, air filter, oil, and oil filter. When I turn the key nothing happens except a faint click. The mower worked last summer without any problems. I'm not quite sure what to look into next. The starter?

use jump cables from battery to starter black on neg.battery then black to any good ground on mower red to pos.on battery and red to starter if it cranks its your selonid

Read More Answers...

July 16, 2015 Flag

I have an older Craftsman mower with the 19.5 horse Briggs and Stratton motor that was given to me. The guy said all it needed was a drive belt because the original one broke while he was mowing and he didn't know how to fix it. Well I put a new drive belt on and now the motor won't start with the key, it doesn't make any noises or even attempt to turn over. The headlights will come on with the key, but that's it. I tested the battery and it's good, so I used a screw driver to bridge across the positive and negative side of the silenoid and the motor will turn over, but not start. What could be causing the ignition not to be able to turn over the motor?

I fixed it! Changed out my solenoid and it fired right up! but now when i put it in gear and let off the clutch it boggs down and dies, it also does the same thing when I try to disengage the blades and let off the clutch, but it runs great with the clutch pushed in, I even idled it up all the way and popped the clutch and the mower only moved like a foot then started bogging down and died again. I have no clue what could be causing this.

Read More Answers...

July 10, 2015 Flag

I just finished cutting my lawn and the mower shut off and will not restart. I turn the key and nothing happens, not even a click. I haven't any idea what to do next. Anyone out there with any suggestions?

mower

I have the same issue with my mower. Did this work? Mine is less than a year old.

Read More Answers...

February 21, 2014 Flag

I have a Kohler 22.5 h.p. engine in a Craftsman riding mower. It turns over, but won't start. Things I've checked: it has spark and there is gas pumping out of the fuel pump. Any more ideas?

By Del

Best Answer

Check engine compression or see if the float is stuck on the carburetor.

July 6, 2015 Flag

My tractor shut off while mowing and then wouldn't start back up. The engine cranks, but won't turn over. Gas is full, there is a new battery, new ignition coil, new spark plug, and new seat safety switch. Still no luck. Help please.

Have you run a carb cleaner thro the gas?

Read More Answers...

April 6, 2016 Flag

In the neutral position the mower will not turn over or make any noise. When pressing in the clutch, and turning the key there is a clicking/hissing noise that comes from under the seat, in the general area of the battery.

Can anyone offer some advice on how this may be corrected?

May 16, 2014 Flag

I have an 8yr old 42" Craftsman riding tractor that won't start. It will turn over a few seconds then stop and begin clicking. Once I was able to start it after I placed both hands flat on the thing that turns when you turn the key on and manually turned it a little. But I can't get it to work this time. It turns a little then is tight and very hard to turn. Once I get it past the hard turn it loosens and turns easily a little, but tightens again. It makes me want to spray it with WD-40. But I don't want to do the wrong thing. I'm a female and don't know the correct name of parts...so patience please.

By Connie B.

its your valves they need adjusting

Read More Answers...

March 19, 2015 Flag

I have a 20 year old Craftsman riding lawn tractor with a Koehler engine. My son was mowing the lawn and the tractor just shut down. When turning the key to start it nothing happens. There is no turning of the engine and no registering of voltage on the voltmeter on the tractor. I checked the battery and it is fully charged. Any thoughts as to where I can start?

By Greg B.

Does it have an electric blade start where you pull the lever up to start the blades spinning? If it does and the mower quits while the blades are spinning you must push down on the lever to put the mower in stop blades mode. If the blades are in the on position you cannot start the mower until you disengage the blades. This has happened to me a few times. Good luck.

Load More
                              Home and Garden Repair Machines Lawn MowersMay 1, 2013
                              Riding Mower
                              Repairing a MTD Riding Mower
                              removing riding mower wheel
                              Removing a Wheel from a Riding Mower
                              Man Fixing Mower
                              Mower Won't Start
                              Man tinkering with a riding mower.
                              Riding Lawn Mower Won't Start
                              © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 29, 2016 at 7:10:50 PM on 10.0.2.139 in 646 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.