Craftsman Riding Mower Won't Start

Category Lawn Mowers
It is very frustrating to roll out your mower to cut the lawn only to find that it won't start. This is a guide about Craftsman riding mower won't start.

Craftsman Riding Mower Won't Start

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? 1

There are a number of reasons a mower won't start. Diagnosing the cause is the first step to making the necessary repair. This is a guide about Craftsman LT 2000 riding mower won't start.

mower

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

Determining the reason your riding mower won't start is the first step towards making the necessary repairs. This is a guide about Craftsman LT 1000 riding mower won't start.

I changed the starter, battery, battery ends and solenoid, but my tractor still will not start. Any ideas?

When was the last time it ran okay?

I have a Craftsman 917.289700 with a 24hp B&S engine. Today it quit running while mowing. I thought it was gas, so I filled it up, but now it is a dead duck. Read in my manual, if you can call it that, to check a 30 amp fuse behind the dash, but no can see. Does anyone have a photo that would locate this for me?

Answer Was this helpful? 2
Best Answer

The fuse should be near the solenoid. There might be a access panel that has 2 screws holding it on near your feet on the seat side. The solenoid should be inside, and the wire on the side of the solenoid goes to the fuse.

I just got a used Craftsman 14 hp riding lawn mower. I tried to jump it and when I turn the key nothing happens, but if I jump the solenoid it will crank over. I am guessing it may be a bad ignition, but I am not sure. Is there a way to test ignition switch or could it be something else?

Do you know when it ran the last time? If you can jump it and it turns over it's usually the starter

I replaced the deck belt on my Craftsman LT1500 mower and now it won't start. I replaced the battery and still nothing. Any ideas?

Answer Was this helpful? 1

Check Both sides of your battery cables, look for bad connections.

try going form the positive side of the battery directly to the starter.

changing a belt shouldn't have anything to starting the engine. Good Luck

I hit something while using my Craftsman riding lawnmower. Now it won't start. It sounds like it tries to start. Is there something I should check before calling the repair guy?

HItting something and causing it not to start usually means a major metal part has been bent or knocked out-- I'd call a service place

I am 13 years old and I have a Craftsman 19.5 turbo cooled 2 cylinder
lawn tractor; there is no mow deck at all. I bought it for my birthday last year.
I can't get it started. I think it is the carb and the fuel pump. I just don't know how to fix those two things. Does anyone know how? I am trying to get it going so I can do the tractor pull at the Windsor fair.

Answer Was this helpful? 2
Anonymous

craftsman riding mower want start.

This mower will only turn over 1 time and it seems compression keeps it from continuing. If I take out the spark plug it will turn over like crazy. Yes I have spark.

Answer Was this helpful? 2

Many times I have seen my son repair this sort of problem but he is not available right now.

He uses Craftsman on line services quite often and they are usually very helpful. You can "chat" on line or call or visit their service & parts store if available at your Sears or your area.

I believe you may have posted an incorrect model number but you can still find out what you need for your mower.

Check this link if you are interested:

http://www.sear  repair-help.html

I have replaced the battery, solenoid, and ignition switch. With the key on, the mower button will click and activate so I know I have power. The new battery is fully charged. I have located, and verified that the safety switches are making contact and continuity. I can make the tractor run by jumping across the solenoid and kill the engine by turning off the key. But it will not start with the key.

You could have a bad ignition switch. I just went thru this with my car.. They put in a new one, and it was defective.

My Craftsman riding mower model # 536.270111 won't start. I replaced the carburetor, added fresh fuel, a new spark plug, and an air filter. The engine will crank and I can smell the engine getting gas, but the engine will not start.

Do you think it could be the starter?

Or, from this (Same model as yours) they talked about: Solenoid, seat sensor, ignition or limit switch?

Reference: https://www.sho  uestions/1007004

I have a Craftsman rider. It has sat in the shed for the winter. I pulled it out, put gas in, charged the battery, and tried to start it. It did not even crank. I opened the motor lid, turned the motor by hand, turned the key in the on position and it cranked, but did not start. I did this several times. Then I cleaned the spark plug; still the same. Can anyone help?

Clean out the carburetor.

I have a Craftsman ride on mower 420cc. This was the first time I was going to use it this season. I go to turn the key, nothing. So I hook up a battery charger to it and let it charge 4 hours. I go to start it. It sounds like it's going to turn over, then nothing. Then I just hear a clicking sound. Any ideas? Maybe the battery is no good? It is a 3 year old battery.

It could be the starter.

I have a Craftsman 27hp lawn tractor model 917288740. It will not start. I have replaced the solenoid, ignition switch, battery, and all fuses. The fuse coming out of the solenoid blows as soon as key is turned. I can not find any defective wiring. If I follow the wire it goes under fly wheel and looks fine. Any ideas? All safety locks (seat-blade-clutch) are working.

From the Sears website: f the flywheel key is okay, use a compression gauge to check cylinder compression. If you don't detect cylinder compression, you might need to adjust valve lash or replace the piston rings.

Here is the link to the entire article: http://www.sear  MCFceLswodHEADOw

My Craftsman riding mower won't start. I turned the key on and heard a small pop. It won't start. The solenoid won't click. I have power to the white line to the solenoid. I checked the solenoid separately by putting power to the terminals and got connectivity across the power terminals. The cable to the starter and the cable to ground has connectivity. I jumped starter it from the battery and it cranks. If I turn the key, it won't start. There is no solenoid click. No nothing. Anyone know what might be the problem?

Do you think its the spark plugs?

Reference: https://www.ifi  r+won%27t+start, http://www.thri  8077908.tip.html

I have a 2013 Craftsman riding lawnmower. When I try to start the mower it will only turn over 1/2 turn and then the solenoid makes a whining sound. If I turn the flywheel off the compression stroke it will turn over 1/2 a turn. The same thing happens if I hook jumper cables directly to the starter. Any idea why?

You may need a new switch. It is located under the seat.

I have a Craftsman DYT4000 that shut off while cutting the grass and now will not turn but once when trying to restart it. I changed the fuse without success. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

It could be the carburetor, the battery, or the solenoid. This forum has a lot of information. http://www.mytr  ics/43129?page=1

Nothing happens when I turn the key. It will start when I run a jumper cable from the battery to the starter. I replaced the solenoid, but it is still not starting. I have no idea what to do or check?

If the cable is getting super hot, likely that there is a short in the harness to the key or solenoid. double check all ground connections and positive connections from the battery forward.

I have a 21 horse power Craftsman riding mower with a Briggs and Stratton motor. It was running fine; I shut it off and blew the grass off before putting it up and it will not start back. I have put a new battery and starter on it, but it won't turn the motor over unless you take the plug out and then it turns it over fine. But when you put the plug back, it won't turn over. What is wrong with it?

Remove valve cover and look for rocker arm really loose or pushrods bent. Common problem on that engine. I also have seen the rocker arm com loose and it is not opening exaust valve or intake valve causing starter not to be able to crank engine. There need to be 4 - 6 thousand of a inch gap when valve is fully closed

I have a Crafstman riding mower. I haven't used it for about nine months. Unfortunately before winter came nothing was done to "winterize" it. Now I can't get it to start. Should I change the oil? Empty the gas and refill it? As you can tell I'm not a "handyman"!

I agree

I bought a Craftsman 46" Auto 22 HP V-Twin Kohler riding mower. I had it stored away for about 5 months. The gas was left in the tank and now it won't start. It will turn on for a bit then turn off.

Sounds like a fuel problem, perhaps sediment has gathered round the outlet during storage. Add some fuel to the tank, and try again. If it isn't that, try boosting the fuel-air mix by using what we over here call the choke. It makes ignition easier, but remember to turn it off when the engine has warmed.

I have a Craftsman automatic 42" cut Koehler Pro 16.5 ohm, (S.s# 052000b007775/ Mod # 917.271141). I can not get it to start! I replaced the battery, spark plug, air filter, oil, and oil filter. When I turn the key nothing happens except a faint click. The mower worked last summer without any problems. I'm not quite sure what to look into next. The starter?

use jump cables from battery to starter black on neg.battery then black to any good ground on mower red to pos.on battery and red to starter if it cranks its your selonid

My brother has a 18 hp. Craftsman ride. It turns over, but doesn't start unless I put my hand over the air intake at the filter. Then it runs until I take off my hand.

I have a 2004 Murray riding mower won't start unless hand joke

I have an 8yr old 42" Craftsman riding tractor that won't start. It will turn over a few seconds then stop and begin clicking. Once I was able to start it after I placed both hands flat on the thing that turns when you turn the key on and manually turned it a little. But I can't get it to work this time. It turns a little then is tight and very hard to turn. Once I get it past the hard turn it loosens and turns easily a little, but tightens again. It makes me want to spray it with WD-40. But I don't want to do the wrong thing. I'm a female and don't know the correct name of parts...so patience please.

By Connie B.

Anonymous

There are safety devices installed: you must weigh enough to compress the switch in the seat, you must have the shifter in nuetral or park, the belt lever must be disengaged. If after ensuring all of that is done and you still have the same problem, then there are only a couple of things it could be. I will list them according to probability: low battery( you can jump it with your car or charge it up, if it had last seasons fuel in it then it should be drained completely, and lastly your starter could be dragging because of age. Good luck.

In the neutral position the mower will not turn over or make any noise. When pressing in the clutch, and turning the key there is a clicking/hissing noise that comes from under the seat, in the general area of the battery.

Can anyone offer some advice on how this may be corrected?

Anonymous

Clean the posts on the battery. Put a charger on the battery to recharge it. After recharging, if you still get the clicking, then time for a new battery.

Why will my Craftsman lawn tractor not start with a new battery, new spark plugs, new gas, gas filter, oil filter, and new oil?

Either a poorly connected battery ground if you get nothing or varnish in the carburetor if it tries but won't turn over. It never hurts to add C-foam to the gas. Let it sit 24 hrs then try again.

I have a 18.5 hp twin Kolhler magnum mod.mv18s. I have voltage at the electronic ignition module, nothing at the coil pack, and no spark at the plugs.

Answer Was this helpful? 1
Load More