Craftsman Riding Mower Won't Start

It is very frustrating to roll out your mower to cut the lawn only to find that it won't start. This is a guide about Craftsman riding mower won't start.

January 14, 2016 Flag

I have a Craftsman 917.289700 with a 24hp B&S engine. Today it quit running while mowing. I thought it was gas, so I filled it up, but now it is a dead duck. Read in my manual, if you can call it that, to check a 30 amp fuse behind the dash, but no can see. Does anyone have a photo that would locate this for me?

Best Answer

The fuse should be near the solenoid. There might be a access panel that has 2 screws holding it on near your feet on the seat side. The solenoid should be inside, and the wire on the side of the solenoid goes to the fuse.

June 15, 2016 Flag

I am 13 years old and I have a Craftsman 19.5 turbo cooled 2 cylinder
lawn tractor; there is no mow deck at all. I bought it for my birthday last year.
I can't get it started. I think it is the carb and the fuel pump. I just don't know how to fix those two things. Does anyone know how? I am trying to get it going so I can do the tractor pull at the Windsor fair.

Are you still having issues

May 14, 2016 Flag

Nothing happens when I turn the key. It will start when I run a jumper cable from the battery to the starter. I replaced the solenoid, but it is still not starting. I have no idea what to do or check?

If the cable is getting super hot, likely that there is a short in the harness to the key or solenoid. double check all ground connections and positive connections from the battery forward.

June 8, 2016 Flag

I have a 21 horse power Craftsman riding mower with a Briggs and Stratton motor. It was running fine; I shut it off and blew the grass off before putting it up and it will not start back. I have put a new battery and starter on it, but it won't turn the motor over unless you take the plug out and then it turns it over fine. But when you put the plug back, it won't turn over. What is wrong with it?

Remove valve cover and look for rocker arm really loose or pushrods bent. Common problem on that engine. I also have seen the rocker arm com loose and it is not opening exaust valve or intake valve causing starter not to be able to crank engine. There need to be 4 - 6 thousand of a inch gap when valve is fully closed

March 30, 2016 Flag

I have a Crafstman riding mower. I haven't used it for about nine months. Unfortunately before winter came nothing was done to "winterize" it. Now I can't get it to start. Should I change the oil? Empty the gas and refill it? As you can tell I'm not a "handyman"!

I agree

August 3, 2015 Flag

I have a Craftsman automatic 42" cut Koehler Pro 16.5 ohm, (S.s# 052000b007775/ Mod # 917.271141). I can not get it to start! I replaced the battery, spark plug, air filter, oil, and oil filter. When I turn the key nothing happens except a faint click. The mower worked last summer without any problems. I'm not quite sure what to look into next. The starter?

Flot needle and seat stuck in carburetor due to gas drying up in carb. after seting up for long time. remove bowel, free flote & needle valv. replace bowel.

April 30, 2016 Flag

My brother has a 18 hp. Craftsman ride. It turns over, but doesn't start unless I put my hand over the air intake at the filter. Then it runs until I take off my hand.

Im about with you. Bought a YT 3000 a little over 3 years ago with the 3 year warranty. 2 months after the warranty expires a thousand dollar transmission goes out. Rather than be without a mower for 3 to 4 weeks waiting to get it fixed, I proceed to my local Sears and make another boneheaded purchase of yet a more expensive Z6000 zero turn. Use it 1 time and then go out to mow today and guess what, it wont start. But THANKFULLY, I purchased the $550 dollar extended warranty again because they say will TRY to be by next week or 2 to see what the problem is. Im tempted to call and tell them to come pick the piece of garbage up and give me my money back. I have over $5000 in mowers sitting in my yard and cant even mow my grass.

August 27, 2016 Flag

I have a Craftsman 917.262960 with a Kohler Command 20hp. It runs great after it starts. It has a new starter and a good battery. I just replaced the solenoid. The problem started a couple of months ago and has progressively worsened. Initially, I had to turn the key several times, hearing only a faint "click", before the engine would turn over and start right up. Then it turned into 15 or 20 times, usually with the faint click, until it finally engaged. More recently, I got it to start by hooking up my charger with 100amp boost. After a couple of tries with the faint click it would fire up and run strong. Last time was 2 weeks ago. I installed new solenoid yesterday. Even with the boost I'm not even getting the "click" now. Any suggestions?

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Have craftsman yt 3000 riding mower. New battery and new solenoid wont start. Fuse is good under dash

April 6, 2016 Flag

In the neutral position the mower will not turn over or make any noise. When pressing in the clutch, and turning the key there is a clicking/hissing noise that comes from under the seat, in the general area of the battery.

Can anyone offer some advice on how this may be corrected?

Clean the posts on the battery. Put a charger on the battery to recharge it. After recharging, if you still get the clicking, then time for a new battery.

July 23, 2016 Flag

My Craftsman tractor, model 917.250262, cranks but won't start. I tried pouring a small amount of gas down the carb but nothing. It's never done this before. I think I have an electrical problem, where should I look?

Engine spend over I pour a little gas in carb.plug firing but it still won't start.

May 16, 2014 Flag

I have an 8yr old 42" Craftsman riding tractor that won't start. It will turn over a few seconds then stop and begin clicking. Once I was able to start it after I placed both hands flat on the thing that turns when you turn the key on and manually turned it a little. But I can't get it to work this time. It turns a little then is tight and very hard to turn. Once I get it past the hard turn it loosens and turns easily a little, but tightens again. It makes me want to spray it with WD-40. But I don't want to do the wrong thing. I'm a female and don't know the correct name of parts...so patience please.

By Connie B.

There are safety devices installed: you must weigh enough to compress the switch in the seat, you must have the shifter in nuetral or park, the belt lever must be disengaged. If after ensuring all of that is done and you still have the same problem, then there are only a couple of things it could be. I will list them according to probability: low battery( you can jump it with your car or charge it up, if it had last seasons fuel in it then it should be drained completely, and lastly your starter could be dragging because of age. Good luck.

October 22, 2015 Flag

Why will my Craftsman lawn tractor not start with a new battery, new spark plugs, new gas, gas filter, oil filter, and new oil?

Load More
Home and Garden Repair Machines Lawn MowersMay 1, 2013
Riding Mower
Repairing a MTD Riding Mower
removing riding mower wheel
Removing a Wheel from a Riding Mower
Man Fixing Mower
Mower Won't Start
Man tinkering with a riding mower.
Riding Lawn Mower Won't Start
🎉
🎄