Browsing: Craftsman Riding Mower Won't Start

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Craftsman Riding Mower Won't Start

It is very frustrating to roll out your mower to cut the lawn only to find that it won't start. This is a guide about Craftsman riding mower won't start.

Craftsman Riding Mower
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

August 27, 2016 Flag

I have a Craftsman 917.262960 with a Kohler Command 20hp. It runs great after it starts. It has a new starter and a good battery. I just replaced the solenoid. The problem started a couple of months ago and has progressively worsened. Initially, I had to turn the key several times, hearing only a faint "click", before the engine would turn over and start right up. Then it turned into 15 or 20 times, usually with the faint click, until it finally engaged. More recently, I got it to start by hooking up my charger with 100amp boost. After a couple of tries with the faint click it would fire up and run strong. Last time was 2 weeks ago. I installed new solenoid yesterday. Even with the boost I'm not even getting the "click" now. Any suggestions?

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

June 15, 2016 Flag

I am 13 years old and I have a Craftsman 19.5 turbo cooled 2 cylinder
lawn tractor; there is no mow deck at all. I bought it for my birthday last year.
I can't get it started. I think it is the carb and the fuel pump. I just don't know how to fix those two things. Does anyone know how? I am trying to get it going so I can do the tractor pull at the Windsor fair.

Tractor will start but won't. Has gas to carb won't start . Pull plugs spray starting fluid in cylinders clean plugs . Start mower runs and stops will not stay running . HELP

Read More Answers...

January 14, 2016 Flag

I have a Craftsman 917.289700 with a 24hp B&S engine. Today it quit running while mowing. I thought it was gas, so I filled it up, but now it is a dead duck. Read in my manual, if you can call it that, to check a 30 amp fuse behind the dash, but no can see. Does anyone have a photo that would locate this for me?

I have the same problem: the engine idles, but it dies (1) when I let the clutch out or (2) when I engage the mower deck. Now it won't start at all. Nothing.

Read More Answers...

May 14, 2016 Flag

Nothing happens when I turn the key. It will start when I run a jumper cable from the battery to the starter. I replaced the solenoid, but it is still not starting. I have no idea what to do or check?

Check ur bolt on ur starter and see if it is loose if it's strip it's not getting a good connection.

Read More Answers...

June 8, 2016 Flag

I have a 21 horse power Craftsman riding mower with a Briggs and Stratton motor. It was running fine; I shut it off and blew the grass off before putting it up and it will not start back. I have put a new battery and starter on it, but it won't turn the motor over unless you take the plug out and then it turns it over fine. But when you put the plug back, it won't turn over. What is wrong with it?

make sure the fuel shut off works ,,if it has a fuel soleniod it could stick open letting fuel fill the block with gas and mixing with oil causing the motor to seize

Read More Answers...

March 30, 2016 Flag

I have a Crafstman riding mower. I haven't used it for about nine months. Unfortunately before winter came nothing was done to "winterize" it. Now I can't get it to start. Should I change the oil? Empty the gas and refill it? As you can tell I'm not a "handyman"!

same thing. My fuel pump broke, I think if froze. replaced it and she works fine

Read More Answers...

July 23, 2016 Flag

My Craftsman tractor, model 917.250262, cranks but won't start. I tried pouring a small amount of gas down the carb but nothing. It's never done this before. I think I have an electrical problem, where should I look?

Engine spend over I pour a little gas in carb.plug firing but it still won't start.

April 30, 2016 Flag

My brother has a 18 hp. Craftsman ride. It turns over, but doesn't start unless I put my hand over the air intake at the filter. Then it runs until I take off my hand.

I have a 2004 Murray riding mower won't start unless hand joke

Read More Answers...

April 6, 2016 Flag

In the neutral position the mower will not turn over or make any noise. When pressing in the clutch, and turning the key there is a clicking/hissing noise that comes from under the seat, in the general area of the battery.

Can anyone offer some advice on how this may be corrected?

seat switch under seat. bypass it if you please

Read More Answers...

August 3, 2015 Flag

I have a Craftsman automatic 42" cut Koehler Pro 16.5 ohm, (S.s# 052000b007775/ Mod # 917.271141). I can not get it to start! I replaced the battery, spark plug, air filter, oil, and oil filter. When I turn the key nothing happens except a faint click. The mower worked last summer without any problems. I'm not quite sure what to look into next. The starter?

use jump cables from battery to starter black on neg.battery then black to any good ground on mower red to pos.on battery and red to starter if it cranks its your selonid

Read More Answers...

October 22, 2015 Flag

Why will my Craftsman lawn tractor not start with a new battery, new spark plugs, new gas, gas filter, oil filter, and new oil?

Load More
Home and Garden Repair Machines Lawn MowersMay 1, 2013
Riding Mower
Repairing a MTD Riding Mower
removing riding mower wheel
Removing a Wheel from a Riding Mower
Man Fixing Mower
Mower Won't Start
Man tinkering with a riding mower.
Riding Lawn Mower Won't Start
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 28, 2016 at 12:06:36 PM on 10.0.2.67 in 8 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.