Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Craftsman Riding Mower Won't Start

It is very frustrating to roll out your mower to cut the lawn only to find that it won't start. This is a guide about Craftsman riding mower won't start.

mower

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about Craftsman LT 1000 riding mower won't start. Determining the reason your riding mower won't start is the first step towards making the necessary repairs.

Craftsman Riding Mower Won't Start

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about Craftsman LT 2000 riding mower won't start. There are a number of reasons a mower won't start. Diagnosing the cause is the first step to making the necessary repair.

I have a Craftsman 917.289700 with a 24hp B&S engine. Today it quit running while mowing. I thought it was gas, so I filled it up, but now it is a dead duck. Read in my manual, if you can call it that, to check a 30 amp fuse behind the dash, but no can see. Does anyone have a photo that would locate this for me?

Answer Was this helpful? 2
Best Answer

The fuse should be near the solenoid. There might be a access panel that has 2 screws holding it on near your feet on the seat side. The solenoid should be inside, and the wire on the side of the solenoid goes to the fuse.

June 15, 2016 Flag

I am 13 years old and I have a Craftsman 19.5 turbo cooled 2 cylinder
lawn tractor; there is no mow deck at all. I bought it for my birthday last year.
I can't get it started. I think it is the carb and the fuel pump. I just don't know how to fix those two things. Does anyone know how? I am trying to get it going so I can do the tractor pull at the Windsor fair.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Are you still having issues

I bought a Craftsman 46" Auto 22 HP V-Twin Kohler riding mower. I had it stored away for about 5 months. The gas was left in the tank and now it won't start. It will turn on for a bit then turn off.

Sounds like a fuel problem, perhaps sediment has gathered round the outlet during storage. Add some fuel to the tank, and try again. If it isn't that, try boosting the fuel-air mix by using what we over here call the choke. It makes ignition easier, but remember to turn it off when the engine has warmed.

Nothing happens when I turn the key. It will start when I run a jumper cable from the battery to the starter. I replaced the solenoid, but it is still not starting. I have no idea what to do or check?

If the cable is getting super hot, likely that there is a short in the harness to the key or solenoid. double check all ground connections and positive connections from the battery forward.

January 2, 2017 Flag

This mower will only turn over 1 time and it seems compression keeps it from continuing. If I take out the spark plug it will turn over like crazy. Yes I have spark.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Many times I have seen my son repair this sort of problem but he is not available right now.

He uses Craftsman on line services quite often and they are usually very helpful. You can "chat" on line or call or visit their service & parts store if available at your Sears or your area.

I believe you may have posted an incorrect model number but you can still find out what you need for your mower.

Check this link if you are interested:

http://www.sear  repair-help.html

I have a 21 horse power Craftsman riding mower with a Briggs and Stratton motor. It was running fine; I shut it off and blew the grass off before putting it up and it will not start back. I have put a new battery and starter on it, but it won't turn the motor over unless you take the plug out and then it turns it over fine. But when you put the plug back, it won't turn over. What is wrong with it?

Remove valve cover and look for rocker arm really loose or pushrods bent. Common problem on that engine. I also have seen the rocker arm com loose and it is not opening exaust valve or intake valve causing starter not to be able to crank engine. There need to be 4 - 6 thousand of a inch gap when valve is fully closed

I have a Crafstman riding mower. I haven't used it for about nine months. Unfortunately before winter came nothing was done to "winterize" it. Now I can't get it to start. Should I change the oil? Empty the gas and refill it? As you can tell I'm not a "handyman"!

I agree

August 3, 2015 Flag

I have a Craftsman automatic 42" cut Koehler Pro 16.5 ohm, (S.s# 052000b007775/ Mod # 917.271141). I can not get it to start! I replaced the battery, spark plug, air filter, oil, and oil filter. When I turn the key nothing happens except a faint click. The mower worked last summer without any problems. I'm not quite sure what to look into next. The starter?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

use jump cables from battery to starter black on neg.battery then black to any good ground on mower red to pos.on battery and red to starter if it cranks its your selonid

My brother has a 18 hp. Craftsman ride. It turns over, but doesn't start unless I put my hand over the air intake at the filter. Then it runs until I take off my hand.

I have a 2004 Murray riding mower won't start unless hand joke

October 8, 2016 Flag

I have a Craftsman ProSeries garden tractor purchased new in May 2016. It is a model 20447, 26HP Kohler V-Twin. I mowed the yard and was almost done. I shut off the mower to get off and when I got back on it wouldn't start. It rolls over, but won't hit.

It is getting fuel. I purchased new sparks plugs and put it. The spark plugs are sparking. I won't crank on over. When I take the spark plugs out to dry them off after the engine floods out one spark plug drips from gas and the other one barely has any at all on it.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

May of 2016? It should still be under warranty. I would have it checked out. Last year I bought a new riding mower and we had to take it back and exchange it after 2 weeks due to a faulty fuel line.

April 6, 2016 Flag

In the neutral position the mower will not turn over or make any noise. When pressing in the clutch, and turning the key there is a clicking/hissing noise that comes from under the seat, in the general area of the battery.

Can anyone offer some advice on how this may be corrected?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Clean the posts on the battery. Put a charger on the battery to recharge it. After recharging, if you still get the clicking, then time for a new battery.

May 16, 2014 Flag

I have an 8yr old 42" Craftsman riding tractor that won't start. It will turn over a few seconds then stop and begin clicking. Once I was able to start it after I placed both hands flat on the thing that turns when you turn the key on and manually turned it a little. But I can't get it to work this time. It turns a little then is tight and very hard to turn. Once I get it past the hard turn it loosens and turns easily a little, but tightens again. It makes me want to spray it with WD-40. But I don't want to do the wrong thing. I'm a female and don't know the correct name of parts...so patience please.

By Connie B.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

There are safety devices installed: you must weigh enough to compress the switch in the seat, you must have the shifter in nuetral or park, the belt lever must be disengaged. If after ensuring all of that is done and you still have the same problem, then there are only a couple of things it could be. I will list them according to probability: low battery( you can jump it with your car or charge it up, if it had last seasons fuel in it then it should be drained completely, and lastly your starter could be dragging because of age. Good luck.

June 4, 2016 Flag

I have a 18.5 hp twin Kolhler magnum mod.mv18s. I have voltage at the electronic ignition module, nothing at the coil pack, and no spark at the plugs.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Why will my Craftsman lawn tractor not start with a new battery, new spark plugs, new gas, gas filter, oil filter, and new oil?

Either a poorly connected battery ground if you get nothing or varnish in the carburetor if it tries but won't turn over. It never hurts to add C-foam to the gas. Let it sit 24 hrs then try again.

August 27, 2016 Flag

I have a Craftsman 917.262960 with a Kohler Command 20hp. It runs great after it starts. It has a new starter and a good battery. I just replaced the solenoid. The problem started a couple of months ago and has progressively worsened. Initially, I had to turn the key several times, hearing only a faint "click", before the engine would turn over and start right up. Then it turned into 15 or 20 times, usually with the faint click, until it finally engaged. More recently, I got it to start by hooking up my charger with 100amp boost. After a couple of tries with the faint click it would fire up and run strong. Last time was 2 weeks ago. I installed new solenoid yesterday. Even with the boost I'm not even getting the "click" now. Any suggestions?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Have craftsman yt 3000 riding mower. New battery and new solenoid wont start. Fuse is good under dash

July 23, 2016 Flag

My Craftsman tractor, model 917.250262, cranks but won't start. I tried pouring a small amount of gas down the carb but nothing. It's never done this before. I think I have an electrical problem, where should I look?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Engine spend over I pour a little gas in carb.plug firing but it still won't start.

I have an older Craftsman mower with the 19.5 horse Briggs and Stratton motor that was given to me. The guy said all it needed was a drive belt because the original one broke while he was mowing and he didn't know how to fix it. Well I put a new drive belt on and now the motor won't start with the key, it doesn't make any noises or even attempt to turn over. The headlights will come on with the key, but that's it. I tested the battery and it's good, so I used a screw driver to bridge across the positive and negative side of the silenoid and the motor will turn over, but not start. What could be causing the ignition not to be able to turn over the motor?

Check the gas line from tank to carb mine became soft and collapse when running under a load and starves for gas causing it to stall . I replaced the gas line worked like a champ !

February 21, 2014 Flag

I have a Kohler 22.5 h.p. engine in a Craftsman riding mower. It turns over, but won't start. Things I've checked: it has spark and there is gas pumping out of the fuel pump. Any more ideas?

By Del

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Check engine compression or see if the float is stuck on the carburetor.

July 6, 2015 Flag

My tractor shut off while mowing and then wouldn't start back up. The engine cranks, but won't turn over. Gas is full, there is a new battery, new ignition coil, new spark plug, and new seat safety switch. Still no luck. Help please.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Could be your blades hit something on the ground causing braking the shear pin, or it has a bent crankshaft.

Load More
Home and Garden Repair Machines Lawn MowersMay 1, 2013
Riding Mower
Repairing a MTD Riding Mower
Man Fixing Mower
Mower Won't Start
mower
Craftsman LT 1000 Riding Mower Won't Start
Craftsman Riding Mower Won't Start
Craftsman LT 2000 Riding Mower Won't Start
👒
🐰
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site.
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 27, 2017 at 1:17:54 PM on 10.0.0.89 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.