Tiny Black Bugs in the Kitchen

Category Bugs
The key to getting rid of tiny black bugs on kitchen floor is first identifying what they are. Check out what has worked for others in this guide.

I kept sweeping up little black bugs along one baseboard where I keep my cat's dish and water. I changed the location where I kept his place mat because they were in his water. I sprayed the area with ant spray and put down moth balls, which seemed to work. After a while they were back, after the moth balls disappeared.

Finally, I washed the floor with bleach and I didn't see them. I went in my pantry and moved a bag of brown rice, and there they were! First, I moved everything and put down moth balls. After the moth balls melted, I washed every shelf with bleach. I haven't seen any for two weeks.

I live in northeast Ohio and for the last couple of days we have had these small black bugs in our kitchen. They are mainly on the floor around the baseboards. There are a lot of them. Anyone know what they are and how to get rid of them?

By Mary H.

If they are weevils, the best advice I found to get rid of them was on www.ehow.com. Even after I got rid of all the food the darned things were around for a long time. I managed to get rid of them just before I decided to give up and call an exterminator. Ehow saved me a lot of money!

They are two different types of pantry pests, usually infest old food. Don't forget about old doggie treats. Getting rid of the source and anything they may have infested and thorough cleaning is all that is needed to rid them.

Lar-exterminator

Anonymous

Had the same problem. Went digging through the cupboard they seemed to be coming from and found them all through a bag of those pill sized dog treats my spouse didn't secure the twist tie on. Threw those out and cleaned, hopefully they're gone.

I have the same thing. They are near the baseboard but most are in the kitchen on the window seal. I have seen a few flying but are mostly dead.

the little black bugs I have hang aroundthe light under my kitchen stove and my lamp shade light in the living room when you squeeze them they disappear like ashes

I just found them in noodles and beans I've seen weevels these have wings

Anonymous

Thank you so much!!! I started listing things people said on this thread to my husband when he asked where they might be coming from. Dog biscuits! We forgot all about a box we put up in the pantry. They were eaten through like termites in wood! WOW!!

What are those very small, 1/16 round, with flat bottom, black and some with spots, bugs I've found on my kitchen floor? Usually in large groups. Most are under the dishwasher.

You really have to watch closely to see them move.

By Tracy from Cleveland, OH

Answer Was this helpful? 2
Best Answer

You might look at them with a magnifier, and then research carpet beetles. Good Luck!

Best Answer

They are flour mites. The seek out damp warm places where there is dry food.

I am having the same problem with these tiny insects! They are only showing up after I run the dishwasher!! I am a very very clean person and have no other problems with bugs in my house. These little guys are only under the dishwasher and no where else. Please! I need help figuring out what the heck they are and how to get rid of them!

Anonymous

no

Most likely those are springtails

I have had these tiny bugs on my kitchen floor for 5 days now. I've used fogger bombs, and boric acid around perimiter of floor. I sweep. They seem to be coming out from fridge and stove sides. Nothing seems to be working. Please help me get rid of them. They don't jump or fly. There are hundreds of them.

By Roxane C.

Answer Was this helpful? 1
Best Answer

We had the same problem and it turned out to be weevils, the tiny bugs that are in flour, rice, grains, etc. We emptied out the pantry and sure enough that is were they were coming from. We threw out the foods that had the bugs, cleaned out the pantry and now they are finally gone. You can google "weevils" and find out how to get rid of these little pests.

Can you post a picture of them? I take it they are not ants, which are very bad this year in many parts of the US.

I have tiny black bugs in one area of my kitchen floor (under a pantry cabinet). They move around and are now starting to climb up my window. They seem to have many legs, but it's hard to see because they are so tiny. They almost look like midget ticks. Help.

Anonymous

They are like tiny ticks but they're obviously not. They crawl and I haven't seen wings but I sweep them away before I get a good look. Idk what they are but I really want to know

Please tell me what these are and how to get rid of them?

By Char from Ogden, UT

Has anybody told you what they were?? Where have you been finding them?? I have been finding them in my BED!!!

I have these tiny black bugs with a little white marking on the back. they come out from the bottom of the mop boards. I have linoleum floors.

By SH

When we moved to our new house several years ago we put several large bags of soft clothing and linens in the unfinished basement which was dirt (mountainside slope).

Eventually we determined that we had imported the tiny biting gnat. when we had bought several bags of fertilizer for our newly dug garden upslope (vegetable).

So, if any of our correspondents, have had to attach sticky 'flypaper' tapes to their lampshades or nearby shelves of potted, tell 'em 'way to go'. It is working for us.

bdid1dr (beady eyed wonder)