Painting Counter Tops to Look Like Granite

Category Kitchen
Creating the look of granite on your countertop using paints can be a real challenge. This is a guide about painting counter tops to look like granite.

How do I redo a laminate countertop in faux granite? I saw this on a home improvement show and cannot find any instruction on it anywhere?

By syoung53 from N. Vernon, IN

Answers:

Painting Counter Tops To Look Like Granite

You can do it: Paint your normal looking Formica counter tops to look like expensive granite. First thing I did was go to Lowe's and Home Depot to get samples of granite. Once I decided on the colors I liked, I started in.

Lightly sand your countertops, wipe with white vinegar, let air dry, apply your primer (I used tinted Kilz), let dry then apply your base coat (I used black oil base by Rustoleum). While still wet I sprinkled little flecks of gold leaf onto the paint, then once dried I went and sponged on 4 different colors of paints (I used Home Depot samples @ $2.97 and only used 1/4 of each color), then while last coat is still wet I sprinkled in some black glitter. Once all dry, I blew off with blow dryer any extra glitter just laying around. Last step was to seal with Envirotex. Make sure you have helpers. I had hubby pouring and spreading, daughter getting bubbles out with blow dryer, son mixing, and myself spreading with plastic spatula.

TIPS:

1. Make sure you have rubbing alcohol ready for your cleanup of hands.
  2. Make sure you go online to Michael's and sign up for their newsletters, you automatically get a 40% off coupon for 1 item. Use it for your first box of Envirotex then you should get another 40% off coupon on your receipt for 1 item good the following day, then go back the next day and buy your other box. Keep repeating until you have what you need. Do not use only one box at a time. Start once you have all purchased. I saved a lot of money doing it that way. It's tedious to keep going back, but you save.
  3. Purchase best roller for your base coat.
  4. Lightly tap on the gold leaf to press it down into the paint to make it nice and smooth. You can go back once it's dry and really push it harder down to make it really smooth.
  5. Use blue painters tape around sink and back splash. I went back and trimmed with a razor. Really clean cut.
  6. Do not put anything really warm or hot onto counter. Always use hot pad.
  7. I use Pledge furniture polish to really give it that glossy shine. (10/19/2009)

By timkerry

Here is a close up photo of what the actual counter top looks like with the gold leaf and black glitter in it. Glitter is hard to see: But it shimmers just right with the lights. (10/19/2009)

By timkerry

I want to update my kitchen. How do I paint countertops to look like granite? Also, I am interested in ideas on how to paint my cheap white cupboards. I want to change the color of the walls. Any help would be great, I am a retired women on a fixed budget.

By kenocyndy from Sarasota FL

Answers:

Hi there, fellow lady on fixed income! I found my butcher block look countertops were out of style and worn; will pass along my story. For granite, you will need black, one litre or quart of melamine paint; this is under $10.00. Also one can, smaller if you can find it, of off-white; a quart of Clearcoat Gloss and some foam brushes, and a dollar store feather duster, the little one, real feathers. Clean your counter top well, and give a quick going over with fine sandpaper making sure you get all the dust.

With your foam brush, apply even coat of black; you may need 2 coats; dry overnight; open white; pour some white and black into a foil pie pan, and mix a bit; take scissors and trim your feather duster halfway down; dip it in the paint, blot on rag or paper towel, then dab, dab, dab, till you like it; careful not to overdo; then follow the same with the white, being careful to not overdo it; a rule of thumb is, (if it looks like maybe more?) then its enough.

Then let it dry, and the next day, clear coat, once more, start on one end and work to the other, trying not to overlap; it will look milky but this will go away it dries; try to put not too heavy, not too light; the results are super and the compliments unbelievable. I look forward to helping anyone with anything. I will try to get you a picture of mine. Happy remodeling. Mine was burgundy, but you can make it any color. Good luck. (05/06/2009)

By 1027debbie

Can I paint it? I have a 60's to 70's style bathroom. I like it, and made everything look old fashion, but just want it painted plain or Marblized style, somehow. How do you paint old Formica countertops?

By Eleni from Hemet Sage, CA

Answers:

Scroll down below in the archives and read what timkerry recently shared with us. He shared detailed info and photos, too. (11/11/2009)

By Deeli

I would like the instructions on how to get granite looking countertops.

By kenocyndy from Sarasota, FL

Answers:

Not sure about how to get the granite look, but the lady who did her counters sure did a fantastic job! With the white cabinets, here's what I did. I found a sand colored quart of paint that matched the colors of my counter and I sponge painted just the doors of the cabinets. The rest of the cabinets are white. It was very easy to do and I always get compliments on them. (05/12/2009)

By kimmcg

I painted my counter tops about 6 months ago. I didn't go with granite effect, but I did find an actual counter top paint at Menard's for $20. It's made by rust-o-leum and they can mix it to 16 colors. So far this paint is super durable, I use scrubby pads and razor blades to get sticky stuff up and still no scratches or paint peeling.

As a bonus, it's easy to apply. A light sanding and you roll it on with a small super smooth roller. (05/23/2009)

By boxergirl76

I have investigated this exact thing. Go to google and put in a search for faux granite counters and you will come up with several responses. There is one lady who did all her kitchen counters and it cost her $70. Good luck!

P.S. I am just down the road from you. I am in North Port. LOL (05/24/2009)

By caraing

I sprayed clean formica with rustoleum hammered copper spray paint and it is beautiful. I applied valspar "steel" patina with a damp sea sponge. Carefully add a small amount of black by sea sponge or stippling (all granite has at lest a little black). Add any colors you want to get a depth appearance. Dry each coat thoroughly and use water based paints. To finish mix a resin/hardener product that pours and self settles to coat, seal and shine your counter. Mine are gorgeous! Be sure to protect everything else. (05/26/2009)

By earthgirl

I want black counter tops with a faux granite look. I am clueless on what to buy to start and what colors to get to complete the look. Does anyone have any pictures?

How do you do paint counter tops to have the appearance of granite?

How can I create a faux granite countertop look?

By Vanessa from Augusta, GA

Answer Was this helpful? 2
Best Answer

I love my new counter. I'm going to do my whole kitchen it is awesome as can be, thanks timkerry. It turned out perfect.

Best Answer

Another picture.

Best Answer

There are several ways to create a counter top to appear to be granite without breaking you're bank account. However, many of you may ask, how durable is the coating? how much does it cost? The process we here at Mack's Painting use is heat resistant up to 175°f. Also has the durability that of a new counter top you may purchase from Lowes, or home depot etc. Ranging from $200-$300 for most Kitchens and bathrooms.

Can someone tell me how to paint a countertop to look like granite?

First of course you prepare the surface you're painting on, with sanding, cleaning, then pre-painting with Killz, etc

I would pick different shades of grey, from very dark to light grey. First paint the dark coat on. Then take something like a sea sponge which has the different hole patterns that you'd expect to see in granite, dip it in different coloured greys, and stamp the sponge onto it (after the dark paint has dried, of course)

Home Depot and similar stores have kits for this with all materials and instructions.