Share Crafts

Freezing Celery

Stalks of Celery

Often when we buy celery at the market there are leftovers. Although it will no longer be crisp, celery can be frozen to use in cooking. This is a guide about freezing celery.

Solutions: Freezing Celery

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Tip: Freezing Celery

Stalks of Celery

Selecting High-Quality Celery:

Celery loses its crisp texture when frozen, but it still suitable for use in cooked dishes. Select crisp, green, tender stalks, free from coarse strings. The ribs should be firm and rigid, snapping crisply when broken in half.

Preparing for Freezing:

Wash thoroughly, trim and cut stalks into l-inch lengths. Stalks can also be left whole for tray freezing.

Blanching Time:

Water-blanch for 3 minutes. Cool promptly, drain and package leaving no headspace. Seal and freeze. Celery stalks can also be frozen without blanching.

Best Freezing Method(s):

• Tray Packs: Clean and prepare celery stalks. Lay in a single layer of chopped pieces or whole stalks on cookie sheets and place them in the freezer. When fully frozen (12 to 24 hours), portion them into suitable containers and freeze. Leave no headspace.

• Dry Packs: Transfer blanched or raw celery directly into suitable containers for freezing. Leave no headspace.

Suitable Packaging:

Freezer containers should be moisture and vapor resistant and should not be prone to cracking or breaking at low temperatures. Containers should provide protection against absorbing flavors or odors and should be easy to label. Suitable packaging for freezing celery includes freezer-grade plastic bags, rigid plastic containers or glass containers and heavy duty-aluminum foil.

Maximum Storage Time:

10 to 12 months at 0ºF.

Add frozen celery directly to dishes while cooking.

Tips & Shortcuts:

Tray freezing is almost always preferable to Dry Packs because vegetables will not freeze together in clumps, making it easy to access the precise amount you need without thawing out a whole container.

Refrigerating Celery:

Wrap celery stalks in a damp paper towel and then aluminum foil to keep it fresh in the refrigerator 4 weeks.

By Ellen Brown

Give a "thumbs up" to the solution that worked the best! Do you have a better solution? Click here to share it!

Here are questions related to Freezing Celery.

Question: Freezing Celery

Can I, and if so, how do I freeze celery?

By Guy

Most Recent Answer

By Louise B. [6]08/30/2011

Remember that when you freeze celery, it will thaw "mushy", so ;you will only want to use it in cooked dishes.

Question: Freezing Celery

Can you freeze fresh celery? I buy it by the bunch, but cannot use all of it before it is just not usable. Can you process and freeze?

By Lisa T.

Most Recent Answer

By gbk [45]07/19/2011

I just stick the whole stalk (thing) into a glass big enough to hold it upright and put water in it and stick it on the shelf and have kept it up to 2 months because I don't use a lot at one time. If it takes longer than a month or so I just dry it but you can freeze it like the others and just keep 3 or 4 stalks in the glass with green onions

Question: Can You Freeze Celery?

Can you freeze celery and if so for how long?

By Sharon from East Hampton, NY

Most Recent Answer

By Dorothy [1]01/27/2011

I rarely use celery but like to have it on hand when I impulsively want to make a soup. I discovered dried celery flakes and it's pretty powerful when added to a soup. My freezer space is at a premium so it works for me!

Question: Freezing Celery

Do you have to blanch sliced celery? Can you just freeze celery that's cut into 1/2 inch pieces?

By Lis F.

Most Recent Answer

By Free2B [217]01/17/2012

I bought celery when it was cheap around Thanksgiving. I washed it, made sure it was real dry, chopped it up, and froze it. I put it in pint bags, but didn't stuff the bags. That way, when it was frozen good and hard, I just smack the bags on the counter, and it breaks up, and I use just as much as I want. I never blanch it. It works out real well, and when I cook with it, it looks and tastes and cooks like fresh. I always have better luck freezing veggies when I don't blanch them, and we are talking about 40 years of doing it.

Question: Freezing Celery

How do I keep celery fresh and crisp, and freeze it at the same time?

By Stacie

Most Recent Answer

Because of the water content in celery it will never be crisp again once frozen and will only be suitable for cooking. You can freeze it blanched or unblanched but blanching will stop the enzymes that cause quality to deteriorate in the freezer.

Question: Freezing Celery

I always have celery left over and want to know how to peserve it for later use without it going bad. Can I freeze it?

By Joyce

Most Recent Answer

By OliveOyl07/03/2012

Certainly you can freeze it but it will not be crunchy when thawed. It won't be suitable for using in tuna or potato salad, for example, but it will be fine in a soup or stew.

Question: Freezing Celery

Can you freeze celery?

By Sandra

Most Recent Answer

By April [187]01/30/2012

Yes, as you can buy it frozen in the store. I have done it twice, I first cut it, then blanched it, pat it dry and then froze it in a ziplog bag. When it thaws, it isn't as crisp,so would not work for salads, but works great for stews and soups.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Freezing Celery

I got a bargain on celery today. Can I freeze it? I will only be using it in casserols and cooked foods. Also, how can I give it a long refrigerator life? I don't use it often.

Thanks for any help.
Annette from Maine

RE: Freezing Celery 11/30/2005
Yes, you can freeze celery. Wash and dry it very well, then slice or dice it as you would for your cooked recipe. Spread the diced celery on a cookie sheet and place in the freezer until frozen. Transfer to a freezer bag or other container for storage.

Also, if you want to keep some fresh in the fridge, wrap it in aluminum foil. It will keep several weeks like that.

By LanaAnn
RE: Freezing Celery 12/01/2005
Annette, I freeze celery . I just stick the bag it comes in , inside a couple bread sacks to protect from freezer burn, and put it in the freezer. Then I just break off how much I need , chop or dice, when I need it. I can't tell the difference in the cooked recipes. It would not however, be crunchy like it is when it is fresh. Carol
By lorac456
RE: Freezing Celery 12/01/2005
Be sure to lay your celery on a cookie sheet or plate to freeze first, like LanaAnn says, or you'll have to chisel it off of the ball that it'll be in if you toss it all in a baggie before freezing it, like I did. I'll be much easier the other way. It's hard to chisel the correct amount you need. Much easier to reach in or pour out how much you need.
By badwater
RE: Freezing Celery 12/01/2005
I watched martha stewart on TV once. She said if you wrap the celery completely in foil it will last 3 weeks in your refrigerator. i tried this and it really works.
By debbie (Guest Post)
RE: Freezing Celery 01/04/2006
As with freezing a lot of things, the texture will change. I suppose would be okay for cooked recipes though. I always wrap my fresh celery in foil. I found that to work very, very well. If you have fresh celery that has already become limp, cut the root end off and sitck all the stocks into a container of water and place in the fridge. The stalks will drink the water up and be rejuventated.
By Izzyflip

Archive: Freezing Celery

Unlike what I have heard and read, I cut up my celery and place on a flat pan, like a cookie pan, and spread it out to freeze it. After about an hour, it can be placed in a ziplock bag for use in future cooking.

<P>By <a href="">ghc630</a> from New Orleans, LA