Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Painting a Laminate Counter Top

Painting your old laminate countertops gives your kitchen a brand new look without the expense of buying new countertops! On this page you will find step by step instructions and photos. This is a guide about painting a laminate counter top.

Tips

Share a TipCheck out these tips or, if you have something to add to this guide, click to share your own tip!

November 14, 2008 Flag

I just finished painting my kitchen counter top with acrylic latex paint and polyurethene. It was a lot of fun and saved lots of money. I spent a total of $150.00!

Anyone can do it. Here's a picture before I finished the last section. So you can see the color I previously had. I might mention, my counterops were in good shape when I started this project. The hardest part is applying the poly coats afterwards.

I got the granite look I was wanting. Now I can save up for the real thing down the road.

I might mention, that you treat painted counter tops as you would any laminate top. Nothing hot, and you don't cut on it.

It will chip easier if you have kids around. All you'd have to do is sand it, paint it again and then the poly.

Directions:

1. Clean with TSP.

2. Prime.

3. Apply accent colors one at a time and let dry.

4. I used water based poly /glossy. We lightly sanded in between, cleaned with damp rag. Dry and put on a layer of (non yellowing) poly until we got the look we wanted. Just make sure your counter is free of defects first.

My cabinets are Aristokraft Spice cabinets/ Oak with Spring Green Paint Color for those of you not able to find a paint color. This green is a blue hue, no yellow what so ever. I love it.

I might mention, I googled "refinishing laminate counter tops" to get the idea.

By Jean from Robards, KY

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Great Job Shoegirl. What color is that?

Is the glaze hard to use? Did you get bubbles?

Thanks

Gail

March 17, 2009 Flag

Well, I did it! I started with an upstairs bath that no one would have to see if it turned out really ugly, but I am just tickled. I couldn't have done it without you guys. Thanks for all the advice. For those still contemplating it, get the torch! I let someone talk me out of it, big mistake. I nearly hyperventilated trying to get the bubbles out, finally resorted to my hairdryer, then decided to give up, let it dry and sand them out before the next coat.

I used an epoxy paint from Home Depot on the sink. It's hard to work with, but worth the end result. A couple tips:

• Envirotex will spread quite easily with a square sponge paint edger tool and is perfect for those pesky backsplashes. Just check periodically to correct any sagging until it begins to set.

• I used a dense sponge roller with a tinted primer for the base which worked beautifully, and smaller disposable sponge paint sticks for tight spaces. I would recommend getting the round sponge wheel for corners.

• The fellow who posted advice about using stains instead of paint was right. I used gel stain for my darkest color, thinking depth again, and wished I had used ALL stain instead of paint. Some is opaque, some is more transparent depending on the application, just like granite. You can be much more creative and end up with more natural results. You don't even need the glitter when using this.

Before and after photo:

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

How much gel stain did you need for this project?

Before and after photos of a painted countertop.

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? 3

I want to say that this site is awesome! I don't know how to get more than one pic on at a time so I will do this in parts so you can see it all. I did 2 bathroom vanities and my kitchen.

Painted laminate countertop.

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? 2

Let me begin by saying that all these posts were the most helpful information I found or my project. I've lived in my house for 13 years with country blue countertops that I've hated since day one.

Painted laminate countertop.

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

Well I finally got done with my project thanks to all your post on this page. I was so leery of doing this but it came out awesome. I did need help at the end with the second coat of Enviro though.

Painting Counter Tops to Look Like Granite

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

Creating the look of granite on your countertop using paints can be a real challenge. This is a guide about painting counter tops to look like granite.

Painted laminate countertop.

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

You can refurbish your laminate countertops for under $100. Learn how to get new countertops in this guide.

Painted Laminate Countertops

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about best sealant for painted laminate countertops. Whether epoxy or poly urethane is going to be the best sealant for the countertop finish you want, may best be determined with a test.

October 26, 2009 Flag

I need some help. I painted my countertops with granite spray and used a water based poly on top (4 coats). That was 3 days ago. They feel dry to the touch, but are soft enough to leave marks.

What can I do to fix this problem? There is also a few milky streaks when you look just right in the light. Anyone know why? I waited the 2 hours in between that it suggested. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

By Janmarie from IA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

If your granite spray is an oil-based paint, that could be the problem. Putting a water-based paint over an oil-based paint can cause bubbling and peeling. If your paint store has knowledgeable employees, they might know how to solve your problem.

January 29, 2017 Flag

I painted my laminate countertops. I sanded and primed. I painted with acrylic paint sponged to look like marble. It looked great. I painted with Minwax spar urethane clear gloss. There is one problem - the marblizing colors are coming off. What am I doing wrong? I am letting it dry completely between coats. Please help.
Thanks

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

This is a very tricky job but it looks like you did your research before you started the job - why did it mess up?

Since you did not use a kit (where everything is "programed" to work together) it is possible one of the steps was of a non-compatible product.

This site has proper steps to follow and list of compatible material so maybe if you review and try to match the steps you may see someplace you could have gone astray.

Also, some of the paint carrying stores (Ace Hardware and True Value are both good) may have a paint person that could answer your question.

https://project  NukR8aAvKH8P8HAQ

July 28, 2016 Flag

Do you have some different ways to paint my kitchen laminate countertop? I would love some ideas to choose from as far as various looks. I would like to update my kitchen and make it look more modern. Thanks.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I know 4 people who have either painted or had a professional pain their laminate countertop (to look like granite or marble). They held up for awhile, but within a year or shortly after, they started to chip and peel. I know you can get the kits to do this at Lowe's and Home Depot.

March 15, 2011 Flag

I need to repaint my counter top in the bathroom. It was painted with melamine paint. Do I have to use melamine again or is there some other kind of paint I can use instead of melamine? Also, my bathroom cabinets were painted with melamine, but I don't want to use melamine this time. Any suggestions appreciated.

By Karen

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Isn't Melamine what caused such death and near death of pets just a short while back? The Chinese had included it in pet food. Please, if there is any chance of traces in food prepared on countertops with melamine, rip them out and replace.

March 3, 2006 Flag

I just bought a house and will need to paint and replace all the floor coverings. My problem is that the kitchen has pink countertops which are in good condition. The cabinets are white. What do I do to make the pink work in the kitchen and how do I make it flow with the rest of the house. I am not sure what color of floor coverings to put in the house.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Lucky you. I got pea-greeen counter tops in my mobile home, Yuck! I cant afford to replace them right now. Pink does not sound too bad. Could this be a case of "the counter top is always greener on the other side"?

June 4, 2012 Flag

My bathroom vanity needs refinishing and I do not wish to replace it. It has been in place for 20 years and has gotten rather discolored.

By Sue M.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I was facing the same challenge a couple of months ago and discovered an awesome DIY product from Daich Coatings that I used to put a real stone finish right over our old laminate countertop in the kitchen.

It's called the SpreadStone Countertop Finishing Kit. It's all roller applied and goes on as easy as painting. You just roll on a base coat, followed by a stone layer and then a clear coat. All applications are applied about an hour apart, which made for a very fast project.

The product claims to be stain resistant, heat resistant and impact resistant, which it seems to be. Very durable surface! We had to sand down the stone layer a bit before putting on the clear coat and it was incredibly tough after only four hours.

Also liked the fact that there was no epoxy involved or any odor. Product is also food safe.

We joke that it's the closest you're going to get to a real granite countertop for under $150. Couldn't believe the results. Very authentic! Our friends and family love it too.

Check them out at www.daichcoatings.com. Have fun!

March 3, 2012 Flag

I am truly working on budget here. I have read the many posts as to how to paint counter tops and am excited. But, I also have an issue with the counter top in that it was not cut straight where the two pieces join at the corner. There is a gap along the length from the back to the front where the two pieces are supposed to join. Anyone have any suggestions on how to fill this gap?

By gailbie

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I realize it's too late for the original poster of the question, but for others with the same one, silicone won't take paint. Fill cracks with paintable caulk.

September 1, 2012 Flag

Has anyone tried to upgrade 5 inch glazed countertops?

By Marilyn D

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

August 1, 2010 Flag

Can you use the counter tops that are painted the same way as the original Formica top? Or are there restrictions?

By Maria from Miramar, FL

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I did something so easy & it looks amazing. Everyone that sees it thinks stone or granite. Its called Paper illusions. Its wallpaper. I'm going to post pictures. & I would love to help with any tips you need!

June 20, 2013 Flag

I was searching for a durable finish for a laminate kitchen countertop that was texture sprayed. We took on this project of painting the counter top after removing the other paint finish that was thinning and had bare spots. (This was previously done by a professional 6 years ago.) We did not plan on this it was a spur of the moment improvement. Prepared surface was not cleaned after paint was scrapped off with Awesome's Oxygen Power and Mr. Muscle. So, I see that the surface should have been primed with an oil based primer after cleaning with a degreaser. There are some bubbles on the surface where some of the softened paint was. How do I salvage the project, so I can finish with the clear coats of Envirotex Lite?

By Ernie

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You have to use latex satin or a semi-gloss enamel for laminate. Here, you can read this. It's details painting a bathroom countertop but it's the same idea:

http://www.trad  oom-countertops/

You have to make sure that you use the right type of paint as well as primer. If you didn't add a basecoat, then that is most likely the problem.

July 24, 2011 Flag

I see lots of posts here and elsewhere on the web about painting laminate, but none of the photos I've seen show laminate counters with the metal edges, and metal joints between the counter tops and backsplashes.

Has anyone done this? If so, what kind of preparation did you do on the metal? We're thinking of using Giani granite but haven't made up our minds yet. The counter is probably 50 years old, and a sad faded turquoise, so almost anything would be an improvement.

Thanks in advance!

By soup-lady

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Are you sure the countertops are laminate and not vinyl? I have never seen laminate ones with the metal strips, but I have seen lots of vinyl ones with the metal strips. If they are vinyl, you can easily paint them, people used to paint their vinyl floors all the time when they couldn't afford to replace the vinyl. My late mother painted our living room vinyl lots of times. She used left over tractor paint. Check with one of your local home improvement stores for advice.

May 14, 2013 Flag

Decided to give painting my bathroom laminate vanity a try. I've seen so many that look simply beautiful and not like paint at all. Doesn't seem to be working that way for me. I wanted a more soft, blended look and for some reason cannot achieve the desired result.

What I'm wondering is if putting several layers of a polyacrylic will soften it any. Any feedback is greatly appreciated, thanks!

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Hmmm. My first impression at first glance is, there's too much of the medium color in there. Perhaps if you use a fluffy piece of sea sponge, take the darker color and the lighter color and very lightly tap the sponge all over, first with the dark, then the light. the dark will add a little more dimension, and the light will soften and blend everything a little more. The very light touch should add just little wisps of paint, to soften and blend the colors a bit more. Also, when you sponge paint, it is always better to squeeze too much out of the sponge than to leave too much in the sponge, it gives you more control that way. Good luck!

Load More
In These Guides
Kitchen Counter Tops being installed
Saving Money on Kitchen Counter Tops
Man talking to paint store employee
Painting Countertops
Home and Garden Home Improvement KitchenAugust 1, 2011
Painted Laminate Countertops
Best Sealant for Painted Laminate Countertops
RE: Painting Counter Tops To Look Like Granite
Painted laminate countertop.
New Countertops for Less Than $100
Kitchen Countertop
Building Your Own Countertops
👒
🐰
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site.
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 22, 2017 at 11:08:46 AM on 10.0.1.7 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.