Painting a Laminate Counter Top

Painting your old laminate countertops gives your kitchen a brand new look without the expense of buying new countertops! On this page you will find step by step instructions and photos. This is a guide about painting a laminate counter top.

September 21, 2010 Flag

Painting a Faux Granite Counter TopI wanted to share my personal experience and tips for any of you considering doing this. I researched this project thoroughly before I actually took the plunge, and in my opinion, this method produced the best results.

For inspiration, search online for granite colors. Print out 3 or 4 that you like.

Remove everything off the counter. Turn off water and remove faucet and sink. You can tape around the sink, but I highly recommend taking it completely out. You will get much better results when you apply the Envirotex. Clean/scrub counter with soap and water. Dry well with paper towels. Wipe down counter with rubbing alcohol and paper towels. Let dry. Mask VERY WELL. Cover anything you don't want paint on. The Envirotex will NOT come off once it's dry. This includes cabinets and walls. Trust me - the more time you take with this step, the better! Wipe down counter again with rubbing alcohol and let dry. Painting a Faux Granite Counter Top

With the Rust-Oleum paint, sanding or priming is not required. The primer is built into the paint. When applying the Rust-Oleum paint, use the sponge rollers for big areas and paint brushes for corners and back splashes. Work fast, it sets up quick. Make sure you're in a ventilated area or turn the fan on if you're in a bathroom. This stuff is potent! Let dry (about an hour, maybe 2). If you prefer another coat, you can. I did. I felt better about 2 coats. Let dry.

To create the faux granite look you want, pour only the color of craft paint you're going to be using at the time onto a paper plate. They dry fast. You will have to keep adding paint to the plate. Use a new paper plate for each color. Start however you want. I did light to dark then back to light. You will have to play with the colors to get the look you want. I used the sea sponges mostly. I used the feather duster for the middle color and the chunked out brushes for whenever I needed a different looking texture. Use the smaller art brushes or stencil brushes for the corners and tight spaces. If you mess up on an area or don't like how it looks, don't panic. The craft paint is water base. Wet a paper towel and rub until it comes off. The Rust-Oleum paint will not come off. Nifty! Painting a Faux Granite Counter Top

Once you have the look you want, let it set up for about 20-30 minutes. Come back and rub your hand over it. You will be able to tell it's dry. If it feels a little rough, it's because the craft paint tends to make "peaks" where you have used the sea sponges. I used a 240 grit sand paper and VERY lightly sanded over the counter top. Then I wiped it down with damp paper towels. Make sure all the grit from the sand paper is off. Let it dry.

If you're painting a large area, get someone to help you with the Envirotex. This varnish is not forgiving of mistakes. You will need to work quickly. You will need someone to mix and pour it while someone spreads. The directions that are included in the box tells you everything you need to know. Read them front to back. Twice. Pay attention to the edges and do what the box says. If your fan is still on at this point - turn it off. Close off the vent to whatever room you're in and close the door if you can. This helps with the drying time and keeps stuff from floating in the air and landing on top of the wet varnish. I had a few "cooties" in my final outcome. Cat/dog hair and/or dust. If you're a glutton for punishment, once it's dry, you can lightly sand the counter top and reapply the Envirotex again. I left the master bathroom how it dried, but I redid the middle bathroom and I wish I would have left it alone. It's all up to you. Painting a Faux Granite Counter Top

Once everything is dry (24-72 hours, depending on the temperature in your house), you can start unmasking. The tape that has any dried Envirotex will have to be cut with a razor blade. You can remove the masking tape once its semi set up if you like. I didn't want to risk dragging or pulling the varnish. The razor blade actually wasn't that bad.

I have included before, during, and after pictures. I also did the counter in the built in cabinets in my hallway. You can do virtually any surface you want!

By creativenailchick from Bakersfield, CA

Wonderful job - but you don't say how much all the supplies cost you versus a granite counter top. I'd like to know.

August 13, 2012 Flag

painted countertops 1My home was a mecca of ugly and strangely colored laminate countertops; hunter green, brown, navy blue, beige, etc.. I set out to paint them to improve their look, thinking "they can't get any worse, can they?" Paint was my frugal friend.

First I studied granite samples online and did my homework. Then I set out to buy, or in some cases, shop in my own basement for existing paint and supplies. All I needed was a good primer (2 coats), some natural sea sponges, and as many colors of acrylic craft paint (little bottles) as I wanted, at about $1 a bottle, with some on sale for as little as $0.27 cents!

Next, I wanted some glitz, so I bought Martha Stewart glitter. The crowning glory of my supplies that would pull of this look together successfully, was Envirotex Lite. It's a coating that spreads on like corn syrup, and is equal to 50-60 coats of shiny poly. That, along with some inexpensive foam brushes, and tape and drape for cabinets, I was ready to go.

I started with my powder room. It turned out so lovely, that I moved to my master bath. Which was amazing. Moving along, I did my entire kitchen, followed by my upstairs guest bath, and my mother's house too. I'm an addict! painted countertops 2

Once you get a good stash of primer, paint bottles, and your glitter, the only new stuff you're buying are the foam brushes (thrown away after each use), and your Envirotex Lite. Total cost for my bathrooms, on average: $25-50. Total cost for my kitchen: $125.

Now, I'm going to share the look with you. Please know that however "nice" they appear online in photographs, the photos just do not do them justice. They are amazing! I swear, while they may not be natural stone, they are prettier than any granite. I encourage you to get out there, use your thriftiness, and cover-up your ugly laminate countertops America! You will not be sorry you did. painted countertops 4 painted countertops 3 painted countertops 5

By Suz from Belleville, MI

What did u use on the last one you did that had the gray and white marble look ?

November 14, 2008 Flag

Updated! I just finished painting my kitchen counter top with acrylic latex paint and polyurethene. It was a lot of fun and saved lots of money. I spent a total of $150.00!

painting a countertop

March 17, 2009 Flag

Well, I did it! I started with an upstairs bath that no one would have to see if it turned out really ugly, but I am just tickled. I couldn't have done it without you guys.

Before photo of painted laminate countertop.

May 8, 2009 Flag

I just finished creating faux granite countertops and I'm so thrilled! It was easy and the total cost for each countertop was about $70.

Faux granite countertops.

March 15, 2011 Flag

I need to repaint my counter top in the bathroom. It was painted with melamine paint. Do I have to use melamine again or is there some other kind of paint I can use instead of melamine? Also, my bathroom cabinets were painted with melamine, but I don't want to use melamine this time. Any suggestions appreciated.

By Karen

Isn't Melamine what caused such death and near death of pets just a short while back? The Chinese had included it in pet food. Please, if there is any chance of traces in food prepared on countertops with melamine, rip them out and replace.

July 28, 2016 Flag

Do you have some different ways to paint my kitchen laminate countertop? I would love some ideas to choose from as far as various looks. I would like to update my kitchen and make it look more modern. Thanks.

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

February 18, 2010 Flag

Well we did it. We went in head first and painted our laminate countertops. We were extremely nervous to try this, but were already considering replacing them with new ones. We thought, why not try it before we get new ones?

Painted laminate countertop.

July 16, 2009 Flag

I want to say that this site is awesome! I don't know how to get more than one pic on at a time so I will do this in parts so you can see it all. I did 2 bathroom vanities and my kitchen.

Before and after photos of a painted countertop.

November 6, 2009 Flag

I'm a newbie here, but not a newbie to DIY. Somebody's gotta do it. I've spent 2 days reading and looking at all of your beautiful countertops and making notes. Now I'm down to trying to figure out what sealant to use, so would like to take a vote. It's the democratic way, right? I read a lot of you use the enviro-lite, but to some seems intimidating. Since this is my first time, not sure I want to be that intimidated.

Others I've read have used water-based poly, oil-based poly, Parks Super Glaze, and Varathane Diamond, so I guess what I'm trying to determine is which one.

There are so many of you that have done beautiful jobs, but used different sealers. Can we have a vote here please? I'm not "sponging". I'm using Rustoleum's stone spray stuff, if that helps. I'm using a tan undercoat layer first. One more question, does that need to be latex?

Thank you. And glad I found you guys.

By LinDuh_in_VA from Richmond, VA

I am guessing that you have already done your countertop, but I used a khaki green undercoat, then sprayed two coats of Rustoleum stone spray, covered with Envirotex. I was dissapointed that I virtually lost the look of the stone spray after I covered with Envirotex, and I ended up with khaki countertops with subtle stone specks. It is almost too glossy and my husband says we are not doing that to any more of my countertops! I think it would have been better to have used several coats of water based polycrylic rather than Envirotex. When I tried it on a piece of cardboard, it was just the way I wanted it, but bumpy from the stone spray, which I thought I could remedy with MANY coats of poly. The Envirotex was not that hard to use, but it did seep through my tape and got into the sink. We used a razor blade to remove the tape and it's not as even around the sink as we would like, but it would not be nearly as noticable had we used a lighter undercoat.

March 3, 2006 Flag

I just bought a house and will need to paint and replace all the floor coverings. My problem is that the kitchen has pink countertops which are in good condition. The cabinets are white. What do I do to make the pink work in the kitchen and how do I make it flow with the rest of the house. I am not sure what color of floor coverings to put in the house.

Lucky you. I got pea-greeen counter tops in my mobile home, Yuck! I cant afford to replace them right now. Pink does not sound too bad. Could this be a case of "the counter top is always greener on the other side"?

June 4, 2012 Flag

My bathroom vanity needs refinishing and I do not wish to replace it. It has been in place for 20 years and has gotten rather discolored.

By Sue M.

I was facing the same challenge a couple of months ago and discovered an awesome DIY product from Daich Coatings that I used to put a real stone finish right over our old laminate countertop in the kitchen.

It's called the SpreadStone Countertop Finishing Kit. It's all roller applied and goes on as easy as painting. You just roll on a base coat, followed by a stone layer and then a clear coat. All applications are applied about an hour apart, which made for a very fast project.

The product claims to be stain resistant, heat resistant and impact resistant, which it seems to be. Very durable surface! We had to sand down the stone layer a bit before putting on the clear coat and it was incredibly tough after only four hours.

Also liked the fact that there was no epoxy involved or any odor. Product is also food safe.

We joke that it's the closest you're going to get to a real granite countertop for under $150. Couldn't believe the results. Very authentic! Our friends and family love it too.

Check them out at Have fun!

Load More
Home and Garden Home Improvement KitchenAugust 1, 2011
Cleaning Laminate Flooring, Red dry mop cleaning laminate floors
Cleaning Laminate Flooring
Polishing Counter Tops
Kitchen Counter Tops being installed
Saving Money on Kitchen Counter Tops
Man talking to paint store employee
Painting Countertops