Great, hearty cold weather soup!
- 1 1/2 lb. stew beef
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 4-5 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 cup chopped cabbage
- 1 (16 oz.) can tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 beef bouillon cube
- pinch oregano
- Cover meat with cold water in heavy 3 qt. kettle.
- Add salt, pepper, and bay leaves.
- Let it come to a bubbly stage while preparing vegetables.
- Turn heat low and add celery, onion, carrots, and cabbage.
- Simmer at least 2 and a half hours or until meat is very tender.
- Remove bay leaves.
- Add tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce, bouillon cube, and oregano.
- Simmer for half hour longer and serve.
By Robin from Washington, IA