Blessing Bags

Blessing Bags to keep in the car when you pass homeless people. Something special you can do with your children or grandchildren to teach them about caring/giving for those in need!

For your blessing bags you will need:

• gallon size Ziploc bags
  • Chap Stick
  • packages of tissues
  • travel size toothbrush and toothpaste
  • travel size mouthwash
  • comb
  • soap
  • hotel size shampoos
  • trail mix
  • granola bars
  • crackers
  • pack of gum
  • Band aids
  • coins or predetermined dollar amount, say 5.00 (could be used to make a phone call, or purchase a food item)
  • hand wipes
  • a warm pair of socks
  • packet rain poncho
  • tampons (for women)

The ideas could be endless!

Assemble all the items in the bags, and maybe throw in a note of encouragement. Seal the bags and stow in your car for a moment of providence or drop some off at a food or homeless shelter.

What a thoughtful gesture!

Excellent idea!

That is really beautiful.

You are a very kind-hearted person!

That is sure as valuable as the few dollars that I sometimes will give, and really more beneficial You are a wonderful person for doing this. I'm going to make up some bags too! Almost all of us have something we can share!

Such a thoughtful idea!
Since we live rurally we don't have (see?) any homeless people.

I am always heartbroken if I visit a city that does!
One could also make them and give them to your local senior center or place of worship to distribute as needed as well.

This is a wonderful idea. Never thought of something like this. Going to make a few to have on hand in the car. Thanks for sharing your great idea!!

Thank you so very much for this idea. Much better than digging for cash. Love it!!

Believe it or not I truly believe that GOD will bless you for this good deed that you are doing for the underprivileged and what a wonderful lesson to teach our younger ones :)

What a wonderful and kind thing to do!!

It's wonderful that you are putting your thoughts and time into helping homeless people. However, from what I have observed one of their problems is that they do have a lot of household items and keeping them/carrying them around is one of their problems.

They might need the band-aids, but already have soap, toothbrush, etc. If you give them an encouraging card with some cash in it, this will help them buy what they need and lift their mood as well. You can personalize the card to put some of your heart and soul into it. :)

This is the best tip I've read this year! I honestly believe you have inspired a lot people by sharing your tip. Thanks!

Battered Women's Shelters are another place to give Blessing Bags. These women and their children often have to leave on the spur of the moment and can't take the time to bring anything with them. The time it took to gather up things, could cost them and their children their very lives! They need everything that you've listed and more for their babies and young children.

Make up a bag for children of different ages that includes some children's books or a small game, a coloring book, pencils and a small pack of crayons. Dollar stores are a treasure trove of supplies for these bags. Little boy toys might include toy cars, soldiers, dinosaurs, super hero figurines, or a ball. Little girls toys might include a paper doll book, coloring books & crayons, bracelets and pretty hair bows, and bubble bath.

For older children, girls all like hair accessories, nail care stuff, and pretty colorful socks. Boys are a little harder to provide for. Most like sports, so include a ball to toss, ball team items or comic books, or male fragrances of cologne or deodorant. For the quieter boys puzzle books, word search books, thinking games, also the cologne and deodorant. Children all feel the need to blend in with their piers. Anything that will do this will be appreciated.

For the fall and winter months, donate coats, gloves, scarves, and hats of all sizes and gender, school supplies, and toys for Christmas and Hanukah. This is especially good as a service project for a youth group, Red Hat Ladies group, or just to do alone with your family.

Contact your local family services to find out how to donate blessing bags. The location of many women's shelters are closely guarded secrets, to protect them from the people they are trying to escape from.

Blessing Bags not only bless the receiver, but the giver, too.

I always wait till after the season to buy gloves & hats I usually. get gloves 3 pair for a $ at Walmart. That helps 3 ppl.

What a wonderful idea. You are a blessing to all.

I am more than impressed with your idea...take a bow, u deserve it!

This is a great idea. I can also imagine wool hats and gloves, socks, combs, hair ties. Zip lock bags are great, but a grocery bag would do, and people would be just as grateful. I can also see bundling it up in a big garbage bag and wrapping a rubber band around it.

It would allow for room for articles of clothing, blankets, shoes, and larger food items. The bag itself could then be used to keep a person or their possessions dry and even warm. I'm going to look around the house and find things I can give.

Anonymous

It may not be much but it sure help folks, and it's a nice thought most would truly appreciate. <3

Anonymous

I think that is beautiful thing you are doing. God will bless you!

What an absolutely awesome, caring project to show Love to those who are suffering and in need of the basics most of us take for granted. Only one suggestion: Please check the labels to see if the gum or other items contain the sweetener that more doctors are telling us to avoid. It's called, Aspartame. It's in many sugarfree and diet products. Look for the warning: contains Phenylalanine on ingredient labels. Very important. God Bless you for caring! Hon. Mary Nash Stoddard, author/investigative Journalist

This is a great idea! One suggestion I have is to bag the soap in a different bag than the food. In a hot car, the soap's odor will permeate the food and make it taste bad - Irish Spring is the worst for doing this. Also, deodorant & chap stick will melt if they get hot enough. You might want to put them in a snack/sandwich bag & then put them in the bigger baggie.

Thanks for the tip. I never would have thought about that!

I love this idea I am going to do this.

That is a marvellous idea.
Marg from England.

Better Living Charity AdviceSeptember 25, 2015
🎉
🎄