AdviceCats

Caring for a Mother Cat and Her Kitten

I have a 2 day old kitten. We have a box that the kitten is in at the bottom half of a pet carrier that is kind of joined onto the box. The mummy cat sometimes lays in the carrier instead of the box with baby kitten when baby kitten is sleeping.

My question is how often should the kitten be feeding and for how long and is it OK for mummy cat to go off and have a wander every now and then. Mummy cat is an indoor cat and feels very safe here so I just thought maybe she knows her baby is safe to leave while he is sleeping (she was carrying 2, but 1 didn't make it).

Also I've put our heating on to make sure baby cat doesn't get too cold and I touched him and his very warm so I've now turned heating off. Is there a chance he could get too warm?

I would let nature take its course. Unless your home is very cold the blankets in the box are fine. Dont heat them up.

No not very cold. Can sometimes get a little chilly in the evenings but apart from that it's usually quite warm.

Condolences on the loss one of the kits. Let mom do her thing. No need to intervene unless she stops nursing. If that happens call the vet and get mother's milk for kittens. Sometimes you can get it at tractor supply type places, sometimes you need to get it from a vet. The vet will tell you the feeding frequency based on age. Hopefully that will be a no issue. Sweet family. Sending them prayers and blessings.

It is natural to wonder about the kitten. As long as the mommy cat feeds,the little one will be o k. But if you need to assure yourself call the Vet!

You may not have a vet to call for advice or instructions so maybe this link will help and provide specific answers to your questions.

I believe at 3 weeks your baby would be yelling if it was hungry so I believe the kitten may be a little immature for its age but it looks like the mother is doing a good job of snuggling the baby and that is definitely a good sign.
The mother may not have enough milk as this does sometimes happen so check out his weight. You can use any kind of scale available.
Mother cats do get up and wander around - eat/potty/rest - especially with only one baby to feed.

www.thesprucepets.com/kitten-feeding-schedule-4169428

You basically have nothing to worry about. The babies will lay on top of each other or very close to keep themselves warm. The mother knows when to feed the cats and she will do this automatically. She will not leave them alone for very long at a time. I would just allow her to take care of the kittens and they should be fine.

She only has the 1, she was carrying 2 but unfortunately 1 didn't make it as the sack broke inside and the baby injested too much fluid.

Your momma cat is so pretty. She is behaving like a really good mother. It is normal for them to go off for a break on a regular basis. She will nurse the kitten on a regular basis. You can tell he is eating well by weighing him every day.

Get a scale that measures ounces. He should gain some weight most days. You can find charts on the internet that tell you how much to expect them to gain daily. Do be very careful with the heating pad. Even on the lowest setting they can be too warm.

Pets Cats AdviceSeptember 21, 2019
🌻
🎃
🎂