Cleaning an Electric Stove

Category Appliances
Cleaning a stove is generally not a task we look forward to. Each type has its own features that make it easy or difficult to clean. This is a guide about cleaning an electric stove.

For years, I've battled caramelization on my stove-top after frying food. One day while the stove-top was still warm, I sprinkled baking soda on the sticky, gummy mess. I gave it a few rubs with the dishrag and it came off without any elbow grease on my part. I was amazed.

I always keep baking soda in the cabinet above my stove now. It's quick, clean, and it doesn't scratch the enamel surface. I've also used it to clean my sink.

By Susan from Millwood, GA

The old stove (rented apartment) has badly built up grease on the backboard where the burner knobs are. How can I remove this without removing the painted part of the finish? Thank you.

By K.H.

Answers

My stove had some build up from grease and my range hood also. I bought Scotch-Brite cook top cleaner pads and this works great. You can find them at Walmart or any supercenter. The pack says for glass and ceramic cook tops, but it works wonders on any stove. Just follow the directions on the pack and its a breeze. I just use the refill pads. I purchased the handle thats available to use w/ these, but I find its easier to use them without it. I also use gloves as this product is very drying to the hands.

Thank you so much Kay. I will purchase these next time I go to the store. I have used so many products on the stove, and my cupboards for this gunk, they were like this at move in, and nothing has budged it. Blessin's, Kat

I have rental property and am left with very dirty, greasy stoves, at times! I use WD 40. It's the best product I have found for removing built up grease!

I assume you know, that you can remove the stove knobs? Just pull them straight off. It's much easier to clean the back splash, with the knobs off!

You can use Magic Eraser. It takes off old grease from anything.

My wife had a spill on the electric cook top stove. She cleaned that out fine. But some of the spill actually spilled over the sides and got underneath the cook top and it started to stink. Is there any way to get access and clean underneath the cooktop? Please, your help would be greatly appreciated.

Answers

You should be able to lift up the entire cooktop and prop it open. Try this.

Yep. Like the photo. Keep in mind too that most stoves have an oven door you can also lift off the hinges as long as it's just open to the first catch. Again, the photos help.

Here is how you removed the doors. Hope these help. PBP

How do I clean a regular stove top and oven that has caked on greased?

By Joann

Answers

Easy-off oven cleaner will work. I cleaned the top of my stove by spraying the area with Easy-off and putting some plastic wrap over it and let it sit for a few hours. The set in stains were easy to wipe off and my stove was white again.

Baking soda works wonders. It is safe and only cost $1.00 at most grocery stores. You can use it for almost everything. Use it to clean the stove by mixing it with a little water. It gets off grease, stains, dirt. It also lasts for a long time in the cupboard.

Make a paste of baking soda and hydrogen peroxide, use a soft brush to apply. Leave a few minutes & the baked on grease will wipe away. You can bring old cookie sheets back to life with the help of a nylon scrubbing brush. I use this method inside the oven too. Wipe with a wet cloth - its amazing.