Curtain Color Advice

My living room has walls that are a very neutral pale yellowish color, the couches are dark brown with cream cushions, the balcony curtains are a very neutral pale green and the small window curtain is beige/champagne. The big couch, which I hate, is grey :( I had a great flowery accent chair instead of that ugly grey recliner, but my husband needed a recliner so bad we had to get it.

The problem is I don't like how it looks at all. I think I might have to change the color of the curtains and the painting, which is brown and neutral colors. What are your suggestions, what should I do?

By jogline

Your room is very neutral, and your furniture pieces are as well. If you want to change out the paint, that would likely be the easiest way to brighten up the room I also think you should get a painting that you really love. Paintings are not supposed to "go with" a room; you should choose paintings based on the fact that you love to look at them.

And a real painting is almost always better than some print picked up at Wal-Mart. That being said, the painting should not look garish and weird, but usually people choose paintings that fit in with their world. You might brighten up the couch that you don't like with colourful throw pillows and a comfy throw. The colour choice is up to you, because we don't know what you would like.