Dog Peeing Inside When Lying Down

It can be alarming and frustrating when a trained dog begins to have accidents in the house. You will need to determine if it warrants a trip to the vet or other action. This is a guide about dog peeing inside when lying down.

My dog is laying down and peeing everywhere. He is a very large dog and has never done this before.

Answers

Best Answer

This can be caused by a urinary infection. Some dog gets them from the food they eat. I had one dog that had a urinary infection from eating cooked ground beef. I was told to cook the ground beef to feed to the dog and when I did this, the dog had crystals in his urine.

I would be safe and take the dog to the vet to make sure he doesn't have some sort of tumor, crystals or infection in his urinary track system. .

My dog is 6 years old, part Collie and German Shepherd. She goes outside to pee, comes back in and lays down on the floor and when she get up the floor is wet. She is drinking a lot of water.

By KP

Answers

Two possible reasons: one is a urinary tract infection. I had a female that would go on the bed. I took a urine sample and had the vets test it.

I was correct. 2nd, if he is drinking a lot of water, it could be diabetes. Either way, a trip to the vet is in order. Hope all goes well for both of you.

Please take this beautiful girl to your Veterinarian she needs professional help. This is not something you can cure with "home remedies" most Vets have 'home visits". Good luck.

As mentioned, an urinary tract infection is a possibility. Another is the dog may be diabetic; thus, the increased thirst. See a vet.

I have an 8 month old Pit Bull. Usually we take him out once in the morning and once in the evening and he does his deeds outside. It is not uncommon for him however to pee on the floor in the apartment, but he doesn't do that while we're at home.

However what troubles me is that quite often lately he starts to pee out of nowhere on the sofa while walking, or he lays down/sits and pees and he looks like he understands that he shouldn't be doing that. I haven't brought him to the vet yet, any ideas why he may be doing that?

We got my puppy from, I guess you could say a backyard breeder and/or puppy mill. We didn't know at first until we had already gotten her and from the pictures they sent us.

She lays down just to rest or chew on a bone and then she will just start peeing.

Or she will sit and just start peeing. She doesn't pee like a normal puppy would pee. Does anyone know what's wrong? She is the one with ticking (spots).

How do I get my 6 month old Pit mix puppy to stop laying down and peeing on herself. She only does it if there's something under her in the house. She will not sniff around to go pee. She just lays there and pees, but she will get up to go poop. How do I get her to get up to go pee outside and stay off a pillow or towel?

Answers

Your puppy seems to be engaging in bed wetting. This is not a housebreaking problem, but rather a medical problem. Your dog seems to be showing signs of sleep incontinence. You need to take your dog to the vet immediately for medical attention.

Your puppy is very young to be having this problem so it definitely could be a health problem - even something needing some type of surgery so be sure to take her to the vet as soon as possible.

If she has already had a visit to the vet you may be able to call them and they would tell you if they need to see her or if they could give you a prescription for her.

Since she is going out to poop then it stands to reason that this is something beyond her control.
Keep her on washable/changeable towels until she sees her vet.
Hug her, tell her how pretty she is and give her a dry towel to lay on.

Puppies do not like to mess where they sleep or eat. There seems to be a bladder problem here. I would take her to the vet.

Healthy puppies don't pee on themselves. I'd go to a vet straight away :(

My dog is 13 years old. She has been peeing where she lays down and not knowing she is going. I don't know what this means.

My dog is a year old Lab and for the past couple of mornings has been laying down and peeing on himself before I can let him out. He doesn't respond to his name when he is doing it, but knows he has done wrong.

I have a Blue Staffordshire, she is nearly 5 months old. About 3 days ago she started peeing where she sleeps, twice in bed with us and once on her bed, and few times on the sofa. She is still in potty training, but never peed where she slept. Since day 1 she was jumping out of bed in the night and peed on the carpet, but never in bed until recently. She is on the same food recommend by the vet since she was 8 weeks old.

I don't know what's wrong with her. Any ideas? She goes out with me every 30 minutes to pee and poo and when I catch her peeing in the house I just say "no" and take her out straight away. She has stopped pooping in the house for about 1 month, but I feel disappointed with recently events.

I have a 7 year old Lab/Great Dane/Heeler, and I keep noticing that she keeps peeing while she is either sleeping or just lying down. She is a very well trained dog. She did have a UTI earlier this year, and we got the medicine for her. So we don't know what is going on. I mean when we let her out she pees a lot and then like 30 minutes later she can be laying on the floor and when she gets up, there is a huge puddle. I was reading some posts and some say diabetes, but I know she is healthy.

Answers

Please take your poor suffering dog to her vet now as she has a problem that needs immediate medical help. Her urine retention problem can result from diabetes as well as many other conditions. Delaying medical treatment now will only make the problem worse and cost more.

I have to say something to this. I had an older dog 9yrs I rescued from an SPCA. They gave her to me telling me her urine problem was fixed. It was not. She constantly peed and I constantly bathed her and washed her bedding. Took her into vet and they gave her medication, did not help, not only that it also had side effects causing more problems! I just bought health bladder pills on the internet.. improved but it never got totally better......she lived like that for the rest of her days. I just took the best care of her I could giving her clean bedding and washing her all the time.

Bless your precious heart!

I have a five year old Lab who is properly house trained. She has been drinking a lot of water the last couple of months and has also started piddling in her bed when she is lying down. She gets up sniffs her bed then goes upstairs. We have had her to the vet who says there is nothing wrong with her and try and ignore it, but she looks so upset. Can anyone give us some advice?

Answers

Did vet do labs and check her blood sugar? Sounds like perhaps she has diabetes. I'm no doc, but just guessing. Make sure the vet did blood sugar tests.

Take her to a different vet.
Drinking a lot of water and uncontrolled peeing is the first sign of diabetes. I think your vet missed something.

I have a Pit Bull/Staff cross. She is around 10-15 years old, I'm not sure since I rescued her 5 years ago, but the vet says she's an old lady. Today I saw she wet her bed, but she did sit to do it, she was just lying and wet the bed, without even realising it. Can this be kidney/bladder problems? I'm gonna get a urine sample and take it to the vet as soon as possible.

By Sue F

Answers

There are many possible reasons for your dog wetting her bed and, especially considerng her age, seeking vet care immediately is the best plan. Regarding the urine sample; are you following the required urine sample protocol for the test? If not, the vet may request to bring your dog in for testing. See below:

Obtaining a urine sample

There are several different ways to obtain a urine sample from a pet. The most common way to catch a sample in a larger pet, such as a dog, is to use a clean, dry container, such as an aluminum pie pan, plastic dish, etc. A litter box can be washed, rinsed well to eliminate all traces of detergent or disinfectant, and allowed to dry. Then use special litter available from your veterinarian, or clean styrofoam packing peanuts instead of regular litter. After the pet has urinated, the styrofoam is removed and the sample is poured into a clean container.

To minimize changes in the urine, always collect the urine sample in a clean, dry container, and take it to your veterinarian's office immediately. If there will be a wait, refrigerate the sample. If the temperature is warm, consider placing the urine in a cooler during transportation. DO NOT freeze a urine sample.

If a sterile sample is needed, your veterinarian may recommend that you bring your animal to the veterinary clinic for a procedure called "cystocentesis," in which a small needle is placed directly into the bladder through the body wall. This procedure does not take very long, and should provide a sample that has not been contaminated by debris or bacteria from outside the bladder. Your veterinarian may also use a urinary catheter to obtain a urine sample.
http://www.pete  116&aid=3136

This could be incontinence. Sometimes old dogs lose control of their bladder. It's good that you're ruling out kidney problems, though.

My sister had the same thing happening with her elderly poodle. She took her to the vet and found it is incontinence. The dog is now on a medication and is doing much better.

My dog is a Min Pin. This is the third time she has peed on herself in the past 6 months. She doesn't even notice at all when she does pee. She will just lay in it like it's not there. She is just 6 years old so she shouldn't be having these problems yet? She has been spayed, I'm not sure if that could be the cause?

Answers

I would take her to the vet to rule out any physical issues.

Often this happens if they have a uti

I have a 3/4 Aussie 1/4 border Collie female puppy. She is 7 months old. She was lying down in our kitchen chewing on a toy when she just suddenly peed. She acted completely fine afterwards. This is the first time she's ever done this. There was a thunder storm coming through. Don't know if she was just scared or if there is something else going on.

Answers

If she does it more often call the vet. She may have gotten frightened with the storm and lost control of her bladder.

Our 7yr old female Doberman is having peeing accidents inside, while on the sofa or in our bed. She is laying down when this occurs and we only find out about it when we see wet spots. Now we know to check if we see her licking herself a lot. What is the problem?

By Linda

Answers

This is clearly a question for a Vet. Your dog is having some serious physical difficulty. Dont wait to find out what it is, she may be in pain and whatever is causing the problem may be getting worse.