Finch Threw Baby Out of Nest

Category Birds
Breeding birds exposes you to many bird behaviors. It is a good idea to familiarize yourself with the species you have chosen so that you are prepared. This is a guide about finch threw baby out of nest.

My finches had five babies and I just noticed that they threw out one of them and it was dead on the bottom of the cage. I am so nervous they won't care for the others now. What can I do? Anything?

By Aliesha

Answers

Best Answer

Five babies is quite a large clutch for finches. I would guess the baby fell out rather than was 'thrown' out. The main thing the parents need is high fat content food to feed the babies. Meal worms work & can be purchased at most pet stores. Otherwise a couple of smashed hard boiled eggs will be good for them w/ the protein & fat {w/ the shells for calcium}. Curious what variety of finches you have. I used to work for an Aviary company & had many breeds in my care! Hope this is helpful & sometimes just gotta let nature run it's course. Best wishes.

It is also possible the baby died so they threw it out. I doubt that it will affect their ability to care for the other babies.

I was wondering why my finches throughout the baby bird but yet it was still breathing and this is her second time having babies her first time she had a boy and a girl i am not sure why she did that since it seems to still be alive