Finding Help Getting School Clothing and Supplies

A backpack full of school supplies.I am a single father with 2 kids, a boy 15 and a girl 14. They will be starting school this next mouth and I do not have the money to buy them school clothes. Do you know of anything I could do. God bless.

By jonatan from from Fayette, MO

Answers

By Harriet (Guest Post)
Best Answer

If there is a food pantry that you know of or are affiliated with, they might know of a place that has clothing at no cost. I know of two pantries in my vicinity that does this. It's yours to take.

Bronze Feedback Medal for All Time! 186 Feedbacks
Best Answer

My daughter uses the KMart layaway quite often. A lot of the Salvation Army Thrift Stores give out vouchers for free clothing. Where I live there are some churches that have clothing give aways every now and then.

Best Answer

I see that you have already gotten several great replies. I agree with the answer to ask at local churches, even if you don't attend. Several of the churches in our area help out children during school time, and many of the residents donate money, clothes, school supplies to them, even if we don't attend those churches.

Don't feel ashamed. Times are bad now for many more people than ever before! God Bless you and your kids, and may things improve for you soon!

Best Answer

Check for a Freecycle group in your area (www.freecycle.org/). Also, try second-hand stores (Once Upon a Child, Plato's Closet), Goodwill, the Salvation Army, and garage sales (many garage sales are listed in local news papers, local news papers' web sites, or even Craig's List).

Bronze Feedback Medal for All Time! 107 Feedbacks
Best Answer

Call your local Adult and Family Services, or whatever it's called in your state and they will know all resources in your area. Since you have the web, also check your local newspaper if on line; they usually run an article on resources for kids clothes and school supplies right before school starts.

Better yet, call the living section of your local biggest newspaper, and ask if they are running such an article, and ask to talk to person writing it and ask them for good resources. Best of luck. Been there.

Best Answer

Check out craigslist. I am a single mom myself, so i know the feeling! Good luck!

Best Answer

I understand exactly how you feel because I raised 4 kids as a single parent. I remember one year not having enough money to buy them Christmas gifts but somehow we made it. What I learned to do was do my shopping at Thrift stores. You will be amazed at what you can find there.

I still buy my clothes there. But I would caution you on one thing, be prepared to become addicted to thrift stores. Once you realize what you can find there for so little you will never want to go anywhere else.

Answer this Question

11 More Questions

I am a mother of a 16 year daughter. She is in need of new school clothes. We live on an income of $585 per month for the three of us. This includes my husband, also. He is unable to work because he has prostate cancer and I am unable to work due to seizures plus heart problems. She wears a size 16 in women's jeans and extra-large in shirts. We barely can pay our bills.

Please does anyone have any advise? I am open to suggestions. Thank you for your time. I am sorry to ask this, but how can I afford school clothes if I do not have enough money to pay my electric and phone bill which I am late on.

Yours truly.

By lyonsoldtown

Answers

Best Answer

Is your daughter able to work? She could get a part time job and buy her own clothes for school. She doesn't have to buy brand new clothes, she could learn to shop at thrift stores, or at the clearance racks at retail stores like Wal-Mart.
Also here is a link to a site that has a list of programs to help people living on a limited income:
www.needhelppayingbills.com/.../low_income_assistance_programs.html

Best Answer

Do you have a Freecycle.org in your area? If you can, join it and when you have complied with the join up rules, ask for the clothes.

Bronze Feedback Medal for All Time! 104 Feedbacks
Best Answer

May I suggest that you get yourself to the nearest Department of Children and Families. Sounds to me like you may be entitled to financial help with several things including food stamps and perhaps even some emergency cash. Medicaid also comes to mind that will help with hospital, doctors, as well as any prescriptions needed.

Depending on where you live, and the safety, your 16 year old daughter might could find a part-time job that will help her with clothing. At her age, and depending on the hours she'd be working, safety is the main factor in my opinion. Her safety getting to and coming home from work.

If you have family, you might consider appealing to them for a little help with clothing for your daughter. I wish you the best, and I don't think you're going to be all by yourselves in this situation. Many people are facing the exact same state in the very near future unless things change quickly.

Pookarina

Best Answer

You are probably eligible for some help on your utility bills. I know that where I live, people can get help through Catholic Charities. You can probably call your utility company for direction on this. Also, do you belong to a church congregation? If so, please talk to your minister about your needs; he should be able to give you some help and direction. And definitely contact the Salvation Army; they are all about helping people when they are in need.

Best Answer

Most schools have a clothing bank, a lot of churches do also. Check to see if your area has a Community Action Program (CAP) They can give you names and addresses of places that can help with utilities, food and clothing.

Best Answer

Have you ever heard of Craigslist.org you can post a ad on that sight that u r looking for clothes and can't afford them and what sizes for the area you live in. I have seen people post in my area not sure if they got a response, but it's worth a try, If you have smaller sizes you could say that you have smaller sizes to give towards them. Or you could sell them on there too if in good shape. But like any free ad sites watch out for spam and any weird feedbacks that don't look right. You can sell anything on that sight. Good Luck! We have used it and sold our truck and had no problem. It's kinda like using the newspaper ads.

Answer this Question

I am looking for suggestions for where to find back to school help. I live in a town that has almost nothing, two dollar stores and no resources. So does anyone know of anywhere I can find help with school clothes and supplies?

I have a ten year old daughter and twin girls that are almost three.

Answer this Question

I have COPD plus heart failure. We have four grandkids and need help with clothes size, boy's teen 9th grade, 30 pants, shirts men's med, 3 girls, 10 and 12, 7 and 8.

Thank you.

Answer this Question

Does anyone know where I can find assistance or resources that can help you in obtaining school clothes and supplies for your child, when you can't afford to? Places that really help instead of giving you the run around.

By LOVELEELATANYA from Danville, IL

Answers

Best Answer

You can get a certain number of free outfits at the Salvation Army. First you have to go to their local office and tell them what you need and they will give you a voucher to take to their thrift store.

There are also all kinds of thrift stores that sell clothing for lower prices. Also you should have been watching for news items the past month or so, because some churches have clothing giveaways during the summer to help people get ready for school.

I don't know exactly what you mean places that don't give you the run around. If you are looking for free there aren't many places that do that. There again there is probably some organization that helps with a complete set of the necessary school supplies, but you are the one that has to be on the look out for them.

Another thing you can get the school supplies at places like the dollar stores. When you shop for these items leave the kids at home, because you will get by cheaper. Kids don't need all the fancy expensive items that are out. You could have been buying a couple items a month, since May and putting them away for the new school year. Actually the same can be said for clothes. There are some dollar stores that sell low cost clothes.

Answer this Question

I'm a single mom with 4 kids in school. I'm unable to buy school clothes for my kids. Recovering brain tumor has been really hard on me and the kids. We leave in Perth Amboy-NJ. I'm unemployed. Where can I find help to get school clothes?

Thanks.

Answers

Diamond Post Medal for All Time! 1,298 Posts

You can contact some local organizations in your area and tell them your situation and if they can help.

• Local churches
  • Salvation Army
  • Thriftstores
  • Post add on Craigslist or search Free Section
  • Garage Sales
  • Check Freecycle
  • Ask family, friends and neighbors

I'm new to the website and I'm just looking for help and helping the students and families at my school this year with school supplies, uniforms, and more. Thanks.

I'm a single mom now because of domestic violence on me. I had to start over with 5 kids that need clothes and shoes for school. I'm looking for work, but I'm too scared to go too far from home because of his family and friends threatening me. What can I do for help getting school clothing and supplies?

I need help getting school clothes and supplies for my child. Where can I go?

I'm a single father with an 8 year old son and I'm in need of help with getting him school uniforms and school supplies, so I wanted ask where do look to get the help that I need?

My name is Amber I have a six-year-old daughter in first grade and an 11 year old son in 6th grade. I am trying to get help with getting both of them new school clothes. My daughter has to wear collared shirts, but any kind of pants. My son can wear any kind of shirt with any kind of pants.

My son wears a size extra large in boys shirts and a medium in men's shirts. He wears a size 18 husky in boys pants maybe or 20 in boy pants. In men's he wears 22-24 size pants. My daughter wears a size 8 in school collared shirts and she's in an 8 through 10 in pants.

I was looking for information in trying to find a place to help with getting kids school clothes, nothing fancy. In march My Husband lost his job, we had to move to a different place, However school is approaching by July 27th and we have no extra money to get the clothes the kids need.

Better Living Charity AdviceAugust 19, 2013
😎
🌻
📓
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Finding-Help-Getting-School-Clothing-and-Supplies-1.html