Finding the Value of Funk & Wagnalls Encyclopedias

Many homes had these reference books because they were readily available at the supermarket in the 1950s. Although dated, encyclopedias can sometimes be sold in niche markets to crafters and some collectors. This is a page about finding the value of Funk and Wagnalls encyclopedias.

I have a 25 volume of Funk and Wagnalls encyclopedia from 1912. They are small books (4x6). It is a complete set. How much are they worth?

Answers

Best Answer

I see a post on eBay that looks exactly like yours where someone is asking $189.00. If those are yours and you fetch that much, that will be today's market value.

I have never seen a set like this with the white and blue (sold or listed before) so this auction may set the current market value.

Post back how the sale goes!

Best Answer

Funk & Wagnalls was a lower end encyclopedia and for a couple of years you could get a free volume each week at some grocery stores and gas stations (Compton's Encyclopedias were also given away) when you spent a 'certain' amount of money.
Although your set has several things that could make it more valuable - small size books & 1912 was the first edition; but, it takes a collector to pay big money for a first edition and I do not believe very many collectors are interested in this particular name/set.
You do not describe your books and pictures do not show spines and this is where fading usually happens and also damage from handling and condition is important.

I see that you have your set listed for sale on eBay for $189.00 plus $25 dollars for shipping. You also do not mention overall condition of books in your listing.
You show this as Priority Mail shipping but most sellers ship sets by media mail as it is much less expensive, especially since USPS changed how they charge for larger boxes.
You must have done some research to find this amount but I have not been able to find any set that has sold for over $60. Perhaps you have more information than is currently available.
Please let us know if your set sells as this would be an excellent current value.

www.ebay.com/.../184061085958?hash=item2adae54906...

Many appraisers as well as researchers use sold listings on eBay to set current value but I did not find any set of Funk & Wagnalls that sold for over $60.
I did not find any sold set from 1912 but I could have missed one. A books age or even first edition does not always mean it is more valuable than later editions unless there is something extra special about the book/year.

www.ebay.com/.../i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=1912+Funk+and...

I did find something strange (at least strange to me) in that a seller has a 1912 set listed for sale on this site for $125:

www.biblio.com/.../951799112

And the same seller has the same set listed on eBay for $49.99.

www.ebay.com/.../193076833394

Sets are listed for sale starting at $.01 and go to $500 so there is no way to even guess how these sellers have arrived at their asking prices but some sellers leave their listings up for years and maybe one day they sell??

Good luck with your set - it would be nice to see it sell for that amount.

Best Answer

This set is not the standard size. The prices online are for the full size books so these prices do not work for the books you are asking about. I see the full size books being sold for or should I say the asking price to sell them starts at $25 and goes up to around $200 for the books. In your case you can determine your price based on this but make sure people know this is not the larger book size but the smaller books.

Answer this Question

46 More Questions

I have a set of 1993 Funk & Wagnalls American Eng Assiniboine Encyclopedias. They are in excellent condition. How much would they be worth?

What are these books worth and how could I go about selling them?

Are Funk-Wagnalls encyclopedias from 1959 worth anything?

By Diana

Answers

Unfortunately, these old encyclopedias do not sell at any price and most thrift stores will not even accept them as a donated item. It's very sad but they went to the wayside when the internet came around.

No!

No. You will never find anyone to take them so just put them out for the trash. Sorry.

I couldn't even get rid of my 1932 encyclopedias.

Maybe you can use them as a "safe" of sorts. Just hollow out a portion of the pages to make a "well" and glue the pages' edges together (but not the front cover or you won't be able to get in it!). Thieves will think it's just a book on a shelf, but you'll be able to hide whatever will fit in the cavities. Just a suggestion.

Answer this Question

I have a 10 volume 1912 Funk and Wagnalls encyclopedia set. Does it have any value?

I have a set of 15, 1959-1965 Funk & Wagnalls Standard Reference Encyclopedias. What are they worth?

What is the value of a full 1979 set of Funk & Wagnalls encyclopedias including the dictionaries in perfect condition?

I have 2 sets of encyclopedias and I'm trying to find out how much they are worth. One is a Funk and Wagnalls' Universal Standard. It is a 25 volume set from 1954-55 the second one is a 12 volume Popular Mechanics do it yourself, 1st edition, from 1955. I am looking to get rid of them, but I don't want to cheat myself or anyone else. Thanks.

By B Sheftic

Answers

There is a 25 volume set of Funk & Wagnell's from 1959 selling on Ebay for $89.95. This could be a starting place for pricing your books.

I am sorry to say that your chances of selling these sets is probably zero. The information is outdated and they are not nearly old enough to be collectors items. Even if they were they wouldn't bring much. Librarys won't take them. I know because I tried to get rid of my parent's set. I put them in the trash. If you live in an area where this is allowed. put them in a box marked "free" and set them on your curb. If they are not gone in three days put them in the trash.

I had some 1932 encyclopedias that my mother used to teach with and when I tried to sell them in the 70's, I could not get anything out of them at all. It even showed the first tv in it. I hope you have better luck.

Answer this Question

I have a full set of these books. I got them at an estate sale. How do I tell what year they were printed? Inside on the first page it says ISBN 0-8343-0025-7, Libary of Congress catalog card number 72-170933.

Thank you.

What is the value of 1950's Funk and Wagnall's encyclopedia set?

By Sandra S.

Answers

1950s sets tend to not have a ton of value. They have a book from that set on eBay for $15 but no recent completed auctions to see what people have actually paid for these books.

www.ebay.com/.../301114197356?pt=US_Nonfiction_Book...

I would say that a set from the 50's has no value. You will be lucky to give it away. Some people make sculptures; some make lamps out of this type of book. It is not old enough to be collectible or an antique. The information is outdated. See if you can find someone who you can give it to for craft projects.

Answer this Question

I am questioning the value of: 1939 Webster's Dictionary, good condition, 1926 Winstin's Loose-Leaf Encyclopedia, fair condition, 1948 Funk and Wagnall's new Standard Encyclopedia, good condition, and 1957 World Book Encyclopedia, good condition.

By Paula E.

Answers

Unfortunately in here I have read time and again, encyclopaedias no longer have a monetary value, no matter how old and well kept they are. Apparently even thrift stores won't accept them any longer.

This is strickly my opinion but, I think probably they would only be valuable to a collector or to your local library.
Becky H.

Answer this Question

What is the worth of a complete set of Funk and Wagnalls New Standard Encyclopedia of Universal Knowledge published on August 11, 1910?

By Paden B.

Answers

If you still have them and are willing to sell them please contact me and let me know what your thinking for them. - J. Parker

How much would a set Funk & Wagnalls Encyclopedia copyright 1954 - 1955 go for?

I have a complete set of 1975 Funk and Wagnalls encyclopedias. I was wondering if they are worth anything and how much.

I would like to know the value of a Funk & Wagnalls encyclopedia set. It has volumes 1 -29. I cannot find a date of print on them, but I would think around the 1960s.

Load More
Consumer Advice Collectibles BooksFebruary 22, 2017
🌻
🎃
🎂
😷
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Finding-the-Value-of-Funk-Wagnalls-Encyclopedias.html