Finding the Value of a Brandt Table?

Often online auctions can help you determine the value of a furniture piece. When you can't find something similar there, you may need a professional appraiser's help. This page is about finding the value of a Brandt table.

Hi! My parents have this flip top card table. I'm trying to find what manufacturer made it and if it might be worth restoring. It looks like it might be a Brandt Sheraton style based on what I see online but I have no confirmation positively. I would be happy to sand it and stain it, maybe replace the claw foot coverings, and add a few nails for support of the lower base of the drawer if that is the appropriate way to handle it. Curious about style, best practices for restoration, if worthwhile to restore, and possible value for resale.

Thank you!

Answers

Best Answer

I can see a number on the bottom of the table and something written in green that does not give a name at all. With the numbers alone it makes it very difficult to even say who has made this table. The value of the table in the condition it is in right now is not worth much at all.

I feel if you want to restore the table and use it again I say why not go for it. You can do a good job of restoring it and refinishing the table. The way it is right now you sure could not do any damage to it at all. You could actually increase the value and have a beautiful table to use in your home.

I paid $40 for this table. It is in excellent condition. Can anyone tell me the year it's from and its value? Thank you!

Answers

Best Answer

This is a lovely piece at at $40, I think you got a fabulous bargain on a piece of furniture that will last a lifetime.

I am not 100% positive it is all original. It may be a marriage piece where someone took the lovely leather Brandt mahogany top and affixed it to the Duncan Phyfe style legs.

The scale of the piece is just off to me. The table top and legs, while they look nice together just don't seem to go together. It is a gut feeling. I could be totally off base because I have not seen every piece Brandt made, but it is something to look into if you are considering reselling it.

Brandt made tons of furniture and this style of table top was popular in the late 1940s and 1950s. The legs were also popular in the 1930s and 1940s--with some trickle down into the 1950s.

You will see the style called Federal sometimes and the table top shape referred to as a game table (although many had drop leaves and some even folded in various configurations--there were some that did not). I have also seen this style of top referred to as a side or lamp table....but usually not with these type legs--which is also why it could be a marriage piece.

The legs are Duncan Phyfe in style (which is important they are most likely not by Duncan Phyfe--whose works are primarily found today in museums)--the legs are in the style he made famous which was copied by many furniture makers over many years.

My suggestion to help you get a true value on the piece would be to take the piece or photos of every part of it--especially the underside showing how the legs are attached--to a reputable vintage shop that specializes in mid century furniture and have them look it over. There are lots of things that need reviewed that are best done in person if possible so that would be ideal.

One you know exactly what you have, they can help you value it for your town and market.

Where I am pieces like this are popular and have sold for in the $80 to $200 range. Furniture values frequently fall into a range because there are things to consider like originality, condition, supply and demand, and even if it has a smell or not. I have seen pieces that if they were pristine that would sell for several hundred dollars, but because they came from a smokers house, the value decrease to under $50.

Please post back what you learn!! I am so curious to hear exactly what you have and the value for your town! Thanks for sharing!!

Best Answer

I'm kinda leaning with Pghgirl especially because there is something off with the number marking.
The spindle also looks a little too small to fit the table size and the feet do not seem to be Brandt style.

Seems like a neat table to own so whether a genuine original Brandt or not it seems like a good buy for $40.
Hope you can find out more about your table and let us know for sure.

Brandt pedestal card table.

Answers

Best Answer

I did not find your exact card table listed for sale anywhere online. I did find another card table that is listed but the design is different than yours. The asking price for this table was $645. I did see another table that was similar to yours but it wasn't a card table and the asking price of this table was $345. You can take the two prices for these different table and decide on what you'd like to ask for your table.

I bought a Brandt side table at Goodwill (for $8). It's in fair condition, but before I sand and paint or make any modifications, I want to make sure it is not valuable or have historical significance.

Answers

Best Answer

I have found two pieces of furniture that are simiar but not the exact same as yours. One is a one draw nightstand that the asking price on eBay is $395 and the other one is a two drawer end table that is listed on Chairish for $330. Both of these are in excellent condition and both are made of different woods. Do you happen to know what type of wood your table is made of?

Best Answer

This was a great buy! Online this piece is going for $200 to $300 in good condition. If you want to sell try auction/bid to get the best price!

I have this Brandt piece that I think is a book stand. I'd like to know what it's officially called and if it is missing any pieces. It seems to adjust, but only a little, and I am wondering about the two holes underneath that kind of look like they take pegs like for a table leaf. The underside seems much too complicated just to tilt a book stand a couple inches.

This is only for curiosity. I grew up in Hagerstown and the Brandts were our nextdoor neighbors on Fountainhead Road.

I am looking to see if anyone knows anything about how much this is worth. I can't find anything like it online. It was made by Brandt furniture from Hagerstown MD. It has a unique shape. There is a metal stamp on the bottom.

Answers

Best Answer

The pictures are really hard for me to take it all in and get a good bead on what you have.

From what I see, I am wondering if you have a marriage piece...where someone was trying to up-cycle a table and make it more stylish or modern. The top does look like a Brandt, either Ambassador or Embassy Collection...not sure which, but the legs are not right. They have a Chippendale style vibe to them which does not go with the early American style top.

Does it have 3 legs? It is almost like someone was trying to make it into one of the 1960s surfboard style tables.

I could be all wrong, this is just what I am getting from the photos.

Brandt is a good name and had pretty basic stock lines so when I see something that is really unusual, it usually turns out to be a marriage piece. I say this with the caveat that I have not seen every piece they have ever made, but this is just my general experience.

I could be totally off...and maybe seeing it in person I could tell you better.

My best suggestion is if it is light enough to take somewhere, when the world settles, take it to a vintage furniture reseller and have them look at it in person and help you figure out what you have and the value for your town.

Value depends on what you have and where you are. I don't even want to start guessing value until I can confirm what you have.

Post back with what you learn! Prayers and blessings! Be safe out there!

This Brandt was my grandmother's table. It is 36" long by 26" wide. Each leaf adds an additional 13". You can drop one leaf, keep the other extended, or drop or extend both. It is in mint condition except for a burn happened years ago. It is very sturdy and the hardware is in exceptional shape. I want to sell my table because I have no room for it. Could you give me an idea of how much she would be worth being she has the burn?

Answers

Best Answer

Aww! That is so sad about the burn. This appears to be the breakfast table size. It is popular in some big cities that have apartment living and less popular where people want dining size tables.

In this condition in a big city where these are in high demand, I would start at $300 and take best offer which may be as low as $30 because of the damage.

In a small town with low demand, I would start at $100 and take $30.

You can always have a resale shop consign it for you! I always suggest this because furniture is so hard for individuals to sell.

I found this poor baby out in the weather here in Alaska and asked the owner if I could take it and fix it up. The finish on the top is gone and really weather wrought. I looked on hundreds of auction sites and couldn't find one like it at all.

Answers

Best Answer

Well - I have found 2 tables identical to yours (only in good condition) but one auction was in 29/019 in Baltimore, Md and no information is available. (picture of table at bottom of page).

The other table was auctioned at a large auction site and no information is available online but it's possible you could contact the auction house and ask about this table. They may respond...

norcalonlineauctions.com/

Both tables were found on this link:

www.google.com/search?source=univ&tbm=isch&q=brandt...

You may find some suggestions on a previous posting:

www.thriftyfun.com/Finding-the-Value-of-a-Brandt-Table...

I have inherited this beautiful table from my great aunt. I was hoping that someone with knowledge about the brand Brandt or antique furniture could help me identify the table type, quality, age, and maybe even value. I love this table, but would love to know more about it.

Thanks.

Answers

Best Answer

Brandt furniture search does not give a lot of information except the company closed in 1985 and was reopened by employees in 1986. Information says the company is still in business but other information states there are only 4 employees so it is unlikely any information can be obtained through regular research sources.

• Tables like this are not commonly seen on auction sites (eBay, Etsy, etc.) so even seeing a similar one would be rare.
  • I believe your table style could be called a corner table and some list them as a corner lamp table.
  • Condition will have a big part in placing a value on any furniture as well as any repairs and such.
  • I did find one table on eBay that could be called similar.:
  • www.ebay.com/.../391901143732?epid=1262403589&hash...
  • Insurance appraisals and asking prices on auction sites does not mean the piece would or could be sold for that price,but it reflects only that, an asking price or replacement price.
  • I believe your table would be worth somewhere in the $350 - $500 range but that is just from seeing tables sold on sites over the years.
  • You would be better off to ask an expert about the value of your table and maybe they could tell the type of wood and when it was made.
  • Here are a couple of sites that will give free appraisals and they are usually very good at doing it quickly.
  • www.valuemystuff.com/.../antique-furniture
  • antiques.lovetoknow.com/Free_Antique_Appraisals_Online
  • You can always keep checking eBay and Etsy for similar tables and try to find a sold item instead of just an asking price.

When asking for an appraisal remember to include any information you have as the age, also provide measurements, condition, and several photos.

Load More

Consumer Advice Collectibles Furniture Vintage FurnitureMarch 2, 2018
😷
🌻
😎
📓
🐛
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Finding-the-Value-of-a-Brandt-Table.html