Finding the Value of a Brandt Table?

What is the value of this Brandt dining set? I can not find anything like it.

Answers

Best Answer

First - I would say to not let anyone 'bully' you into giving a price until you know exactly what you have and the true value.

These do seem to be a little more rare than some so be sure to check with some appraisal sites.
You can send photos with the information (and your location) to several of these sites and they will give you information within a few days. You should not tell the dealers anything about how you are getting appraisals and do not let these dealers tell you these appraisals are not valid as I use them all the time and these are big name sites.

Check out the following sites: Send information to several:
Free sites:

www.whatsellsbest.com/.../antiques.html#list

instappraisal.com/

antiques.lovetoknow.com/Free_Antique_Appraisals_Online

This site charges $20:

www.valuemystuff.com/.../appraisal

No matter what else you do you will not be sorry you tried these sites. Be sure to ask for retail value also.

Best Answer

These sets were hugely popular in the 1950s in Pittsburgh. My family had a similar set. You are starting to see a lot of them on the market as that generation that were newlyweds in the 50s are downsizing and moving to smaller places.

That you have two dealers pushing you for a price, I would ask them to make an offer. If they don't, start high at $5,000 and gauge their reaction! They will probably low ball you, but then maybe you can meet in the middle.

I can tell you PRE COVID, these sets would sell in many places into the $1500-2000 range in many places--especially the sets that had the smaller hutches. MCM (Mid Century Modern) was super hot before COVID.

Post COVID, the market is just topsy turvey. Everything I new about values and reselling has been turned on its ear.

Furniture sales are regional. They are supply and demand based and they are one of the hardest things to resell.

If you have people with interest, work with them!! Value is truly only what someone will pay. Book values went out the door years ago with eBay and the internet and markets became what people would hand over cash for something on that day. Tomorrow, they may hand over more or less.

This is a pretty set!! Post back how it goes for you!!

P.S. Places like Charish and Esty and the big online furniture resellers have sellers who ASK crazy high prices for things. I would never go by what people ASK...only what people actually pay and on those sites, that is a mystery.

Those sites ask astronomical prices because there are often coupons or discounts or sales and you don't see they will often get 1/2 to 1/4 of the "asking price" when all is said and done. When I gauge sold prices on places like eBay where you can actually see a sold price. The other thing with SOLD prices is to know that the seller netted a lot less after fees and to see if the person was offering "free" shipping (which means the SELLER pays the shipping"--so the other thing you have to remember is value and profit are two different things!!

Answer this Question

37 More Questions

I am looking to determine the resale value of this card table. I can't find exact ones online.

Answers

Best Answer

I did not find your exact table listed online, however, I did find a BRANDT Sheraton Style Mahogany Swivel Flip-Top Game Table / Console listed. This is currently listed on eBay and the seller is asking $695 for the table. I see there that 10 people are currently watching this table and it has not yet sold. I also found one that was sold on live auction online back in 2015. In order to see how much this one actually sold for you need to make an account for this site. On Esty, they have different style gaming tables they are selling but I do not find the Brandt flip top card table listed or anything close to this one. The asking prices of these other brand gaming tables run from $350-650 asking prices.

Best Answer

Brandt furniture seems to still be holding decent value but I do not think any furniture is selling very quickly and I have one Brandt table (reasonably priced - rather popular style) that I have had a watch on for over 2 years.
Shipping costs (freight) are very expensive and you would just be lucky if you were in an area that you could list it as 'pick up only' and still receive a good price.

Your table appears to have some damage but pictures do not really show the condition very clearly. should you decide to list it for sale you will need several very good pictures. Sometimes you can look at similar listings on eBay and get some ideas of what type of pictures are needed.
It appears to be Queen Anne style but another member, Pghgirl, will probably provide a lot of information for you on the style and dates.

Here is a link to previous questions/answers that might help with how to list for sale:

www.thriftyfun.com/Value-of-a-Brandt-Card-Table.html

www.thriftyfun.com/Finding-the-Value-of-a-Brandt-Table...

I can only suggest that you may be able to learn more about your table if you post it on some of the forums:

instappraisal.com/

www.myantiquefurniturecollection.../.../ask.html

www.reddit.com/.../

The following is a Brandt game table - different style - asking price is $695 but shipping cost is shown as $225.
You can place a watch on this listing to see if it sells.

www.ebay.com/.../324087302994?hash=item4b751bcb52...

Best Answer

I found your exact table online where someone else was asking the same questions in 2017, but there were no answers to age or value back then:

www.myantiquefurniturecollection.../i-have-a-brandt-card-top-folding...

Brandt is still a very popular brand in the resale market, but I am not sure what COVID has done to the values.

Right now (in the COVID world) I suggest finding a local reseller and asking them how much you would pay to buy a table like yours in your area (that will be retail) and then you can expect to sell yours for 1/8 to 1/4 of that if you sell it on your own.

If you don't want to go that route, know that generally tables like this don't sell much above $250 in most places and in some places they sell as low as $25. Start high and take best offer.

Value is very subjective, supply and demand based and is only what someone will give you for the item. Sadly right now, many people are more worried about affording food, than the table to put it on. It is crazy how fast the world has changed!

Please post back how your sale goes! This is a sweet piece and I hope you are in a high demand, low supply area and can fetch a decent amount for it!

Answer this Question

Anyone know the value of this table? It was found in a storage unit from Hagerstown, Maryland. I looked all over the internet but couldn't find a Brandt one, however I found very similar tables under different brands.

It has a hidden leaf in the middle that folds out, and the sides also fold up or down. It has 2 legs in the middle that split into 4 legs in an H shape, and they have those metal things on the end.

Answer this Question

I bought this lovely little Brandt Breton (?) table at a thrift store for 10 bucks. I am having a lot of fun refinishing and painting old tables, but I definitely do not want to do anything to this one, if it has value or is historical.

Does anyone know anything about this cool slate table? Thank you!

Answer this Question

Trying to find out the value of this Brandt end table.

Answer this Question

Can anyone tell me what the value of this is? I bought it at a garage sale for $15. I can't seem to find anything like it. Thank you in advance.

Answers

Best Answer

Brandt is highly collectable, while looking for this table(didn't find) it is truly unique. I only found many others, a few similar. You could take your pictures to a antiques dealer/appraiser for answers. To compare what others are charging for Brandt, her is a link to a consignment shop -www.chairish.com/ - enter Brandt

Answer this Question

I paid $40 for this table. It is in excellent condition. Can anyone tell me the year it's from and its value? Thank you!

Answers

Best Answer

This is a lovely piece at at $40, I think you got a fabulous bargain on a piece of furniture that will last a lifetime.

I am not 100% positive it is all original. It may be a marriage piece where someone took the lovely leather Brandt mahogany top and affixed it to the Duncan Phyfe style legs.

The scale of the piece is just off to me. The table top and legs, while they look nice together just don't seem to go together. It is a gut feeling. I could be totally off base because I have not seen every piece Brandt made, but it is something to look into if you are considering reselling it.

Brandt made tons of furniture and this style of table top was popular in the late 1940s and 1950s. The legs were also popular in the 1930s and 1940s--with some trickle down into the 1950s.

You will see the style called Federal sometimes and the table top shape referred to as a game table (although many had drop leaves and some even folded in various configurations--there were some that did not). I have also seen this style of top referred to as a side or lamp table....but usually not with these type legs--which is also why it could be a marriage piece.

The legs are Duncan Phyfe in style (which is important they are most likely not by Duncan Phyfe--whose works are primarily found today in museums)--the legs are in the style he made famous which was copied by many furniture makers over many years.

My suggestion to help you get a true value on the piece would be to take the piece or photos of every part of it--especially the underside showing how the legs are attached--to a reputable vintage shop that specializes in mid century furniture and have them look it over. There are lots of things that need reviewed that are best done in person if possible so that would be ideal.

One you know exactly what you have, they can help you value it for your town and market.

Where I am pieces like this are popular and have sold for in the $80 to $200 range. Furniture values frequently fall into a range because there are things to consider like originality, condition, supply and demand, and even if it has a smell or not. I have seen pieces that if they were pristine that would sell for several hundred dollars, but because they came from a smokers house, the value decrease to under $50.

Please post back what you learn!! I am so curious to hear exactly what you have and the value for your town! Thanks for sharing!!

Best Answer

I'm kinda leaning with Pghgirl especially because there is something off with the number marking.
The spindle also looks a little too small to fit the table size and the feet do not seem to be Brandt style.

Seems like a neat table to own so whether a genuine original Brandt or not it seems like a good buy for $40.
Hope you can find out more about your table and let us know for sure.

Answer this Question

I bought a Brandt side table at Goodwill (for $8). It's in fair condition, but before I sand and paint or make any modifications, I want to make sure it is not valuable or have historical significance.

Answers

Best Answer

I have found two pieces of furniture that are simiar but not the exact same as yours. One is a one draw nightstand that the asking price on eBay is $395 and the other one is a two drawer end table that is listed on Chairish for $330. Both of these are in excellent condition and both are made of different woods. Do you happen to know what type of wood your table is made of?

Best Answer

This was a great buy! Online this piece is going for $200 to $300 in good condition. If you want to sell try auction/bid to get the best price!

Answer this Question

What is the value of these tables?

Answer this Question
Load More
Consumer Advice Collectibles Furniture Vintage FurnitureMarch 2, 2018
🐛
🌻
🐰
👒
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Finding-the-Value-of-a-Brandt-Table.html