Finding the Value of a Giuseppe Armani Capodimonte Figurine

Category Miscellaneous
The value of a precious figurine can be found more easily since the internet has emerged as a great searching tool. This is a guide about finding the value of a Giuseppe Armani Capodimonte figurine.

Can anyone tell me anything about this piece? I am not sure if it's old or not.

Answers

Best Answer

That is a Giuseppe Armani Capodimonte figurine called"Girl Afraid of Mouse" :) Made in Florence, Italy in 1980. It's from Gullivers Travels.

Best Answer

They're worth about $200, by the way :)

I'm looking for some advice please. I came across this lovely figurine whilst treasure hunting and noticed the GA initial. I've had a google search and found the same figurine by Giuseppe Armani, with a capodimonte mark and a little plaque on the base with his name on as well as his initial, but the figurine was painted in bright colours.

Mine is painted in much duller colours, I can't find a capodimonte mark and it has a Made in Italy sticker instead of a metal plaque. Is this a real Giuseppe Armani piece I've found please or is it a fake? And ideas of value in pounds sterling please?

Thank you .

Answers

There are many fakes out there. If I were you, I would take it to a dealer, who specializes in these things.

This is a very long link article, but it may be helpful to you:

www.figurines-sculpture.com/capodimonte-n-crown-pottery-mark...

It rings true to what I was trained on when selling capodimonte floral items back in the day...that capodimonte is a style that many artists have used over many generations based on 18th century original works.

To determine value, I would take it to a antique store you trust. My understanding is that a true 18th century original would only be seen in a museum..and 99.9% of what we see in the market are style similars by many, many artists and companies.

Like any other collectables, value can be all over the place, so someone who specializes in the style can give you the best answer. I wish I could be such an expert, but I am no where near.... maybe some day!

Please let us know what you find!

Thank you for your reply and information links. I have saved it all for further reading and future reference. Ive recently entered the world of buying and selling vintage and collectable items and Im really enjoying it. Ive come across capodimonte pieces before and yes it is a vast universe to explore!

I do my best to sell on my finds with as much research and accurate info as possible as well as a reasonable price to match. Thats exactly what Im trying to do here with this piece. If it is a copy, I will sell it on as such with any info I find on it.
In the meantime I will keep hold of it and try and find some experts locally.
Thanks again

Since collecting, buying and selling this type of art I feel sure you already know that it is usually considered (in this field) that over 99% of the items seen are fake but sometimes the fake items are also valuable. Of course, it usually depends on the "artist" that made the fake and since they do not usually sign their name it generally takes an expert to identify the "fake" artist's work.

• I love researching items like this because it broadens my world into fields of the relatively "unknown" aspects of just how many fakes we could be seeing in our travels to museums and art shows.
  • There is so much to be found on Giuseppe Armani that it would take someone a lot of time to just do a little research. It seems the Capodimonte figurine you have is one of the most copied of all his work.
  • One of the most interesting sites that I found was actually an auction site but you do have to join to (email only) to see the past sales as well as the current offerings. It is stated that they do not authenticate any of the pieces offered but it does offer a look at prices that people will pay for pieces that may very well be fakes. You may want to search for your figurine in past sales.
  • www.liveauctioneers.com/.../
  • I have used this site in the past as it has some very interesting suggestions and information on how to do research.
  • Ad

• www.figurines-sculpture.com/antique-china-values.html
  • The following site has a wealth of free information but it is very lengthy and he is also selling his books. I believe you will like the information he supplies.
  • www.figurines-sculpture.com/capodimonte-n-crown-pottery-mark...
  • I do not know if you currently use any of the free appraisal sites but some of them do supply excellent information (I usually send information to more than one site so that I have some sort of comparison). Here is a link to some appraisal sites that offer free services.
  • www.whatsellsbest.com/.../art.html
  • I have often used Barneby's because they are so thorough but they do charge $17.
  • www.barnebys.com/.../
  • Hope you find out it is valuable even if it is a fake.

Thank you for your reply and information I too love researching and learning about things that I find. The collectable universe is mahooosive and quite mind blowing but very enjoyable too.
Im not expecting this piece to be an original at all, I just like to provide as much correct info as possible when I sell something on. Ive been put in touch with a large antique and collectable shop and have emailed them photos so Im just waiting on a response now.
Thank you again for your help

Please share what your expert tells you if you would be so kind!! I love to learn and find the best way to do so, is in judgement free and open sites like this one where there are lots of knowledgeable folks on a variety of topics! Thanks!! Wishing you all the best!!

That sounds interesting, as I said before, "fakes" can be valuable too and should not always be discounted as great works of art. Sometimes artists are better at copying than at starting from scratch but that does not mean they do not have talent.

I understand how you feel about being honest as a seller, it's just too bad more people do not feel this way.

If possible, please let us know about your piece.

Can someone help me find out the value of these figurines? My friend wants to sell them, but doesn't know where to start.
Thank you!

Answers

Figurines range from $25-$50 on eBay.

I would put a search on eBay, describe you item under figurines, you will find what similar items are priced at and might even find one exactly like yours.

If you could tell us who they are made by or if there are making on the stand this would also help to determine the price of them. As it stands right now we can only give you an idea of what other's are selling them online. If you look on eBay they normally start around $5 all the way to $50.