Freezer Tips and Tricks

There are a few things to know about storing food with this appliance, that will help you enjoy your frozen food. This guide contains freezer tips and tricks.

I needed organization and room in my freezer. I use quart size freezer bags for storing all foods (I live alone, you can use gallon size for family). The trick here is to fill the bag per portion you want, holding the opening up so food does not spill out. Lay the bag on the counter and release as much air from the bag as you can. Lay the top part over the rest of the bag and zip shut. When stacking these in the freezer, alternate the way you lay the bag so it will flatten out better. You can store double the amount in the freezer, plus you will be able to see the food much better.

By Jacque from Lincoln, NE

We gave up our ice maker years ago when ours overflowed and we had water on the floor. I have used ice trays ever since.

All these years, I have been quickly swinging my body around, with my hands full of stacked ice trays filled with water, in time to catch the freezer door with my shoulder before it closed. Just a few minutes ago, the thought occurred to me that a wedge might work to hold that door open.

I looked in the kitchen drawer and found a large bag clip and stuck it in the hinge side of the door. It worked perfectly. No more holding the door open with my body to put ice trays in the freezer.

Just a simple little trick can make life a little easier. I'm always looking for an easier way to do things. It took me a while to figure this one out.

My freezer purrs like a kitten!

When I go away at Xmas for two weeks to visit family, I make sure to completely defrost my freezer. The food is given away to someone in my local Freecycle and the freezer is completely turned off for two of those weeks.

When I come home, it's time to give my freezer a good wash through then back on with the electric and a 'big shop' at my freezer food store.

But here's my little trick. To save the build up of ice: after I have washed and dried the insides of my freezer, I coat the walls and shelving runners with a good smearing of glycerin. Glycerin is available cheaply in your local pharmacy.

No ice build up and I extend the life of my freezer as it's not working so hard. It purrs like a kitten all year long! =^..^=

Source: I think I got this from a book of hints and tips called Trade Secrets.

By Monique from Somerset, UK

I always freeze certain foods. You will save money because these foods last so much longer if you freeze them rather than store them in a cabinet or even the refrigerator You won't have to throw out spoiled food and you won't have to buy new items as often.

When you bring your fresh meat home, place it in the coldest part of your refrigerator, usually the bottom right side. Check the time and start counting the days from the time you put it into the refrigerator.

Fresh meat is usually good for three days in the refrigerator.

How long can you keep meats, vegetables, natural lemon juice, and fruits in the freezer?

Thank you.

By Manuel

Answers

You should not keep anything longer than 6 months. Commercial freezers can reach lower temps than home freezers.

Anonymous

There are a few factors that determine this. Here's a link that will give you the information you're looking for along with sublinks for more details:
http://www.uga.  _shelf_life.html

I like to use this website: http://www.stilltasty.com/

I am looking for a freezer list, the life of the foods you can keep in your freezer, meats, bread, fruit, etc.
Can you help me?

Thanks Vt

Answers

Here is a site I have found helpful...scroll to the bottom for the index of the foods:

http://www.azdh  h/fses/sfstt.htm

Also, here is a link for the shelf life of pantry items in case you are interested:
http://www.a1us  gary/expire.html

By valleyrimgirl (Guest Post)

Just because it may say that "..." is only good for 6 months doesn't mean that at the 6 1/2 months it is bad. Just check it.

With meat, the more fat in it the quicker it goes rancid. Pork and beef are bad for that, whereas venison can literally stay for years. Also, if the meat is tightly wrapped, no air getting next to it, it does not get freezer burn spots.

If the item is water packed or in a sauce it will not get freezer burnt like individual pieces would. For example, mashed raspberries in a container will stay for years and yet the individual raspberries I would use before the following summer.

No need to throw out something just because a "list" says it is bad. You paid for it and ...Just check the item and ...if it has freezer burn spots, for example, on meat, cut them off and see what the meat is like...probably can be used. Bread...goes hard and I would throw it out. Items in the bottom of the freezer will stay good longer than at the top, where the temperature fluctuates because you're opening and closing the lid all the time.