Identifying Songbirds

Even if you are not an avid bird watcher it is fun to identify these garden visitors. Noting size & shape, color pattern, behavior, and habitat can help. There are books for your region and apps for your phone available to assist.

Can anyone tell me what kind of bird this is?

Answers

Best Answer

It appears to be a towhee. I am not sure which variety, that would depend on your geographic area. They are great fun to watch as they back kick through the dirt and scattered leaves searching for food. They are also often ground nesters that enjoy the seclusion and safety of a garden twig pile. However it is also common to find their nests in less secluded spaces, such as a shrub or the fork of a low tree branch.

The American robin and the Towhee look very similar to me, especially from a distance.

Anonymous

Hard to tell from the picture, but it could be a Spotted Towhee

Looking in my "Audubon Handbook Eastern Birds", it looks like it could be a Rufous-sided Towhee. I have had one that I have seen often at the bird feeder this winter.

In These Pages
Home and Garden Gardening Birds & Bird HousesJune 17, 2020
🎆
😎
🌻
🐛
😷
👔