Identifying a Secondhand Store Find

Category Miscellaneous
You can often look online to help identify a secondhand or flea market finds. Older items can be a challenge to determine even what it was used for.

I recently found this at a flea market. I'm not as concerned with what it's worth as I am what it is. I would really like to know its original purpose. Thanks.

Answers

Best Answer

I also thought it looked like a wine holder but from the measurements posted, I no longer think so as I cannot think of a wine bottle that would fit into a 3" opening unless it was a "sample" and since this appears to be a traveling case, I do not think wine would be any good after a traveling trip and in any weather?

The box is 12" wide 13" tall and the openings are 3 1/2" wide and 11 1/4" deep.

Best Answer

I just searched some more and, maybe it really is a "wine rack", I guess having the handle enables it to be an "on the go" wine rack/carrying case.

See this link, there's all kinds of "wine racks" they call it, and available here.

www.boxman.ca/.../

Best Answer

so there's the issue of the 4 bottle sized openings, but there's also the issue of the small drawer at the end. It also looks old AF

whatever this is, it is something meant to carry something that requires storage for 4 cylindrical objects and a number of small items such as screws, pins, needles, etc.

My vote is that this is a carrier for the cylinder recordings of the ancient precursor to the Victrola phonograph, Edison's cylinder phonograph. IMage attached. The holes are meant for the cylinders and the drawer is meant for the needles to operate the machine

here's a fun link to the cylinder audio archive cylinders.library.ucsb.edu/history.php

FWIW it probably IS worth some money, or it can become your first piece in collecting a cylinder phonograph and actual cylinders www.ebay.com/.../edison-cylinder-phonograph

I'm keeping y'all busy, with my unique thrift store purchases. I think, this is another super cool item, that I cannot find any information on. Please let me know if anyone has seen anything like it?

Thx

Answers

Best Answer

I am not positive, but I think you have a vintage massage oil warmer. It would sit on a little metal brackety thing and the bracket would hold the candle to warm the oil.

If that is what it is, sadly there is little market for it under its intended purpose because they were know to be quite dangerous and many a user got burned from the hot oils.

I hope someone else can give you a 100% positive ID. I am going on gut instinct on this one!

Consumer Advice Collectibles MiscellaneousOctober 5, 2019
🍂
🎃