Identifying a Secondhand Store Find?

Category Miscellaneous
You can often look online to help identify a secondhand or flea market finds. Older items can be a challenge to determine even what it was used for.

I recently found this at a flea market. I'm not as concerned with what it's worth as I am what it is. I would really like to know its original purpose. Thanks.

Answers

Best Answer

I also thought it looked like a wine holder but from the measurements posted, I no longer think so as I cannot think of a wine bottle that would fit into a 3" opening unless it was a "sample" and since this appears to be a traveling case, I do not think wine would be any good after a traveling trip and in any weather?

The box is 12" wide 13" tall and the openings are 3 1/2" wide and 11 1/4" deep.

Best Answer

I just searched some more and, maybe it really is a "wine rack", I guess having the handle enables it to be an "on the go" wine rack/carrying case.

See this link, there's all kinds of "wine racks" they call it, and available here.

www.boxman.ca/.../

Best Answer

so there's the issue of the 4 bottle sized openings, but there's also the issue of the small drawer at the end. It also looks old AF

whatever this is, it is something meant to carry something that requires storage for 4 cylindrical objects and a number of small items such as screws, pins, needles, etc.

My vote is that this is a carrier for the cylinder recordings of the ancient precursor to the Victrola phonograph, Edison's cylinder phonograph. IMage attached. The holes are meant for the cylinders and the drawer is meant for the needles to operate the machine

here's a fun link to the cylinder audio archive cylinders.library.ucsb.edu/history.php

FWIW it probably IS worth some money, or it can become your first piece in collecting a cylinder phonograph and actual cylinders www.ebay.com/.../edison-cylinder-phonograph

Can anyone please tell me what this is? I bought it at a thrift shop and they had no idea what it is either.

Thank you.

Answers

Best Answer

Yes, this is a crumb catcher or "silent butler". Waiters used to carry a little matching whisk broom and sweep bread crumbs off the tablecloths into these at fancy restaurants.

I'm keeping y'all busy, with my unique thrift store purchases. I think, this is another super cool item, that I cannot find any information on. Please let me know if anyone has seen anything like it?

Thx

Answers

Best Answer

I am not positive, but I think you have a vintage massage oil warmer. It would sit on a little metal brackety thing and the bracket would hold the candle to warm the oil.

If that is what it is, sadly there is little market for it under its intended purpose because they were know to be quite dangerous and many a user got burned from the hot oils.

I hope someone else can give you a 100% positive ID. I am going on gut instinct on this one!

I found this at a local Goodwill and I was drawn to it, but I have no clue what it is. Any idea of what this is?

Answers

Looks like a fire log holder!

My guess would be a serving dish holder. I like it too!

Nice - Hope you can find some use for this.
I have something similar and it has 2 ceramic dishes that fit in the slots and can be used for condiments, hors d'oeuvres or candies.

There may be something this rack was made for but you may find a new use.

It looks like a serving dish that would have held 2 (possibly glass) serving dishes. When I find mystery items at thrift stores, my theory is that once I buy it, it can be anything I want it to be. I'm sure you can find some creative uses for this item.

How big is it? The photo does not give an indication of the size.

The guesses about a casserole dish holder was my first thought, then I saw the one about fire place logs. Either could be, depending on the size.

I've seen these at wedding where people put dishes in them to serve food on the table. They normally have some glass dishes that sit inside of them.

Now the dishes are gone you can use it for other things like storing logs near a fireplace. Normally log holders are much rounder and higher on the sides.

my first thought was it looks like bamboo/ golden. the other thought it also reminds me of a dog or cat bed frame. like put the pad on it and you have a bed for a king or queen. but that said the 2 place where people said the casserole dishes would go kinda puts the bed out.

How big is it?

My first instinct is to say a log or a luggage holder. I find it interesting that the bars are so far apart which means whatever it's supposed to hold to be long and thus not liable to fall thru the cracks. The shape that goes up slightly is interesting to me as well. Whatever it holds has a rounded shape.

I love antique and vintage items. While watching a video today I found this gem. I love it and need to know what it is. I posted on another forum I am on and they sent me to you guys. Any guesses?

Answers

You also try social media sites like facebook, twitter, and insta - gram, for answers. Get those trivia minds going while everyone is at home! Watch the answers roll in!

Punch bowl and cup caddy. Probably 1950s. You may be able to narrow down the brand by measurements and reviewing Pinterest and eBay.

This is interesting as I remember seeing a similar one in an antique shop many years ago. The 'proprietor' told me he thought it was from the 20's because of its size and he had been told by the original owner that it had a metal punch bowl. This one is very similar but I did not research the history so really that is only a guess on my part.
My mother has told of large parties in the 20's (she was in her twenty's) when they had 'Moonshine" in large 'punch bowls' but she just went for dancing - not the drinking.

It is neat and would probably clean up a little.
here is something similar that is listed of Etsy for $35.

www.etsy.com/.../midcentury-punch-bowl-set-with-metal

Thank you all!! This is very helpful!!

I have a 16x32 lion and roses cast clock frame. Does anyone know what this is? It's made of heavy plastic, gold. The paint has flaked in some areas. The top circle had a battery operated clock in it with, JH TAIWAN, which I think is just for the clock itself. The bottom oval was empty and the whole backing was missing. I found this in a thrift store.

Answers

The bottom of the frame looks like it had a mirror in it. If you still have the clock you can try and put a new mirror in it and repair the clock. You will need to get a new backing for the item or maybe it won't be necessary once the mirror has been added.

This is a reproduction of a Chinese guardian lion icon. This piece once a clock/mirror. You could refinish the look and use as is or get replacement parts so you can enjoy the piece!

Thank you!! I couldnt pass it up even though it was in rough shape. Im thinking that after I paint it, replacing the clock and using the mirror part for a bulletin board or something. Definitely wont let it go unused. Thanks again!!

Consumer Advice Collectibles MiscellaneousOctober 5, 2019
😷
😎
📓
🐛
🌻
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Identifying-a-Secondhand-Store-Find.html