Identifying a Stuffed Toy?

I have had this stuffed dog since I was a baby, and I have wondered what he looked like before he was given to me.

Answers

Best Answer

Cute! I think he looks pretty much the same as when you got him. I think his name is milkbone. I want to say he was related to a movie from that time frame. He was sold at many Hallmark and gift shops. Enjoy!!

Best Answer

He most likely looked about the same - maybe set a little taller?

I do not believe he is a Beethoven because Dakin (and several other companies) paid a large fee to use this name (and from what I've read there were certain looks/colors the dogs had to have - similar to the movie dog) and this dog does not follow those guide lines and Beethoven is not on the tush tag.
Beethoven became popular after the 1992 movie Beethoven was released and 'every' kid wanted a 'Beethoven". Of course, when Beethoven 2nd was released in 1993 the same thing happened so now there were even more Beethovens being sold - the original and the 2nd. It is difficult to even determine how many different types/styles Dakin alone made without even searching for other companies.

I believe this St Bernard was commissioned by Dakin before the craze for Beethoven came about and that might be a reason the coloring is completely different (and Beethoven is not one the tush tag).
I think this may just be Dakin's normal type of plush animal and would fall in the rank of just another plush animal made by Dakin as they made every type of plush animal that children loved to own.
This is just my feelings from the searches I made but I think it makes this St Bernard more difficult to find and would take someone more knowledgeable about vintage Dakin to identify this plush any further.

If you still want to pursue further you can join some of the plush/stuffed animal forums to see if someone can provide what you're looking for.

www.facebook.com/.../

www.ghostofthedoll.co.uk/.../

Best Answer

I remember the movie (or movies I should say) but only watched the first one and I remember seeing all sizes of the plush Beethoven everywhere. I loved Hallmark stores so I'm sure I saw him there also.
But the milkbone version was different than most of the others and it came out with the Beethoven 2nd movie. I see a lot of listings that have 'Milkbone' in their title but very few are the real Milkbone. This version had his tongue showing (like the one in question here) and had spots on his 'cheeks'. I'm sure very few people will still have the 'milkbone' that came with him as it was loose - not attached to the dog. All of the Dakin Beethoven 2nd had a collar with his name and tush tags. So many different versions.

I did find a couple of true Milkbone listed for sale - he's really cute. One has the bone. Just thought you might be interested.

www.ebay.com/.../202821962590?hash=item2f39218b5e...

www.ebay.com/.../163632792990?_trkparms=aid%3D1110001...

Best Answer

I love the examples you found of the real Milkbone!! I had totally forgotten his name was on the tag! Note to self to check reality, don't rely on memory! Red face :(

So now I need to find this pup's real name if he had one.

I am sure I don't have the Dakin catalogs. I remember checking for another post and the are gone.

Going to see if my friend who was our manager remembers. Will let you know!

Answer this Question

124 More Questions

My son fell in love with a stuffy that my mom had gotten me when I was pregnant with my son. When he was born I had put it in his crib and at around 6 months he began carrying her everywhere! He is now 8 and he still loves his bunny to the point where her hair, or at least what is left is completely matted and frayed.

He has come to me a few times to fix her and I have had to explain that I can't make her what she used to be. It breaks my heart to see him so upset and I have scoured the internet to find another identical one to no avail. I somewhat recall it was an Applause or Aurora World Inc. item, but am not positive and of course had cut off the itchy tag way back when. Anyone know who this bunny is? Advice?

And I don't see it in the pics, but she has a carrot on her right foot.

Answers

Best Answer

I see similar plushies on eBay frequently. How tall is he?

There are a number very similar on there now using the search bunny carrot foot.

If that brings up too many, add the height. I can tell you most sellers have no clue what brand they are selling and list things so generically that it is often like finding a needle in a haystack.

Both companies you mention made tons of plushies, so it could have been them. It could have also been Anico, American Greetings, Animal Alley, Russ Berrie, or Hallmark. I would keep my search general (see above) and see what you can find.

If you don't see it on eBay, do the same search on Google images and then maybe you can find it on Etsy, or Amazon.

Best wishes!! I hope you find a match!!

Best Answer

I'm not sure you will be able to match this bunny but are you sure he will accept a 'new' bunny even if you find it?
I tend to think he will not want another bunny no matter what you find.
It's my personal opinion that you should try to get him to accept another bunny or even another plush animal.
After all, 8 years old is getting kinda time that he may be going to other types of entertainment. Is this bunny something he sleeps with?

I have seen families have success with replacing a favorite plush with another one by letting them be the one to pick out a 'brother or sister' for their favorite toy. eBay is a good site to look for a bunny together. I'm not sure about 8 years old but many times a younger child will get excited about finding a playmate for their pets.
Of course, this is just a suggestion but please think about it as I believe he needs to be a part of the 'finding' group or he may not accept anything you offer.

Best Answer

Do not worry you can actually make this bunny brand new again. There is a company called Budsies that will take the bunny and make you a brand new one that looks just like the one you have. I would check out this site and give them an email. www.budsies.com/.../

Answer this Question

Hi, I'm here to ask for help in identifying this stuffed animal. Name? What movie/show is it from? I believe it's from the 80's as in this photo, it's 1988.

Thanks in advance!

Answer this Question

I am looking for what brand or any information about the stuffed animal in my hand that looks like a reindeer. It was very important to me when I was younger because my great grandma, who died, gave it to me.

My mom's ex boyfriend had thrown it out and I've wanted it back ever since. If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Answers

Best Answer

A lot of these stuffed animals were sold at Target during the holidays. I know that when I visited the US I saw they had a few of them there that looked just like yours. I would check with Target and even Wallmart to see if they have any in stock or can help you find a replacement one.

Best Answer

Thanks for the info. The nose is unusual. In that time frame, most made plastic noses, some light up noses, so the nose is the key.

The only ones I know that made this embroidered type nose were Dandee, Toy Factory, and Hallmark. Toys R US or Babies R US may have also....but I never worked there so I am not familiar with their stock.

When doing your Google/eBay search keep it keep it simple like brown reindeer and he may show up.

Hope you can find your lovie!

Answer this Question

I have this stuffed yellow chicken. All of the information on the tags has washed off. Does anybody know what brand this may possibly be? I put some pictures on this too.

Answers

Best Answer

Thanks bunches for the additional info. He may be a Jellycats brand. They are out of the UK. You can email them at hello@jellycat.co.uk

Maybe they can confirm if it was one of theirs. They have been around since the late 1990s so the time frame would fit!

Please post back what you learn! Thanks for sharing!

Answer this Question

How old is this elephant? Any info would be appreciated.

I researched all possible avenues with no luck. I can't find this elephant anywhere.
- Head stuffed with straw

- Plastic button eyes
- Loose metal rod in trunk

Circa: ?1925-1968

Trademark: Bunny Ears Label Intact (Blue) A Gund Creation
Gund Mfg. Co.
J. Swedlin Inc.
200 5th Ave. N.Y.C. 10, NY

Thanks.

Answer this Question

Does anybody know anything about this bear? I am searching for a bear like this.

Help.

Answer this Question

I've had this rabbit all my life and I'm not expecting it to be worth hundreds or dollars. It was a gift from my late grandfather and I was just curious.

He has no tags, and is relatively large.
Thanks!

Answers

Best Answer

Unfortunately without a brand it is going to be hard to research.

This site has a lot of experts so someone else may recognize him and know exactly who he is! I sold plush animals for years in the 1980s-early 1990s and don't recognize him....sorry.

My suggestion for you if no one here can help is if you have lots of patience, you can describe him to Google, click on Google images and scroll through the photos to find a match to learn more. It would be helpful to enter an approximate year and the size...like a search of 18 inch stuffed bunny 1999 and then tweak the search as you see what you see. Like if he is musical add the song or if he has some other unique feature, add that.

Once you learn his name, you can go to eBay and look at SOLD auctions to see how much people are paying for him. NEVER us current auctions to develop a value for him as people can ask the world, value is only what people will pay for something in today's market!

Hope this gets you started!

Best Answer

It would be very difficult for someone to identify your rabbit without more information.
We do not know how old he is as you say all your life but then, you did not give us your age.

Your bunny is most likely one that was purchased at a department store mixed in with several hundred other bunnies (maybe even at Easter time?) and will probably not have any true resale value.

I feel sure you wish to keep him so you must just wish to know if he is valuable? I believe his only true value will be with someone who loves him and the happy memories he brings to mind.

Perhaps I am wrong and someone will come along that knows more about this type of thing and will be able to supply you with more information.

Doing research on Google with the information you supplied will not provide very much:

www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-ab&tbm...

Answer this Question

I've had this giraffe since probably about 1995/1996. I don't know if he was made around that time. I don't know where he was purchased. We think he might have been from Toys R Us, but are not sure.

He stands about 24 inches tall I think. I don't care if he's valuable or not, since I am not looking to sell. I'm just curious.

Answer this Question

My son is extremely attached to this plush teddy. However it's well past its best and we are trying to identify where it was from, who made it and can we get an identical replacement.

Any help is appreciated.

Answer this Question

I've been looking for awhile now, and I still can't seem to find where this bunny came from. It is blue, with red eyes, and a brown dyed nose. I would love to get some help with this :/

Answer this Question
Load More
Consumer Advice Collectibles Toys Stuffed ToysSeptember 13, 2018
🎉
😷
🎄
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Identifying-a-Stuffed-Toy.html