Identifying a Vintage Stuffed Toy

Category Toys
It is fun to try and find out information about a favorite childhood toy. This can sometimes involve a fair amount of research for more unusual or uncommon toys. This is a page about identifying a vintage stuffed toy.

I have had this puppy since the early to mid 80s. I remember it came in a card board shaped like a dog house with a red roof. It had little things written on the box like, "Will you take me home?", "Rescue me", etc. There were a bunch of different puppies to choose from and I think they had even come out with kittens?

The dog house box, was only as big as the puppy's head and the head was the only thing sticking out. I really want to say this was called a Recuse Pet, or Rescue Pup/puppy, that's what just really sticks out in my mind. But I can't find anything on that.

When I was little my mom washed and dried him on high heat killing the fur, his tag and his eyes (which she repainted on him for me). He is roughly 8 inches long. I remember going to the toy store (probably Children's Palace) seeing the display on the shelf and picking out this particular guy and reading all the sayings on the little dog house shaped box. My sister picked put one that was black and white with short ears. The only tag on him is under his left ear. Can some one please help me identify this guy? Thank you!! :)

Answers

Best Answer

Someone on a Facebook toy identification page found what this little guy was. Its a Hug-a-pup made by Marchon company in 1985. :D they made a bunch of different ones.

This was given to a friend in the 1970s. It was his favorite childhood toy, but we don't know what it is! Does anyone know what this stuffed animal is?

Answers

Best Answer

It looks like Bashful,one of the 7 dwarfs.

Best Answer

Maybe one of the Rice Krispie Trio

Can someone please help me identify this dog? I'm 29 years old and have had it for 25 years. The tag information has worn off.

Thanks!

Answers

Best Answer

Russ, Dakin, Applause, and A&B Novelty company all made plushies with the thick eyebrows at various points, although more so in the 1980s, than the 1990--which is when you say you got yours.

When I first saw this cutie, I thought he was a"knock off" of an Odie plushie from Garfield Cartoon. He may be. He looks so familiar, I know I have seen him and probably sold him at one point or another when I worked in retail.

There is a Facebook group called Doll & Toy Identification Help. You can try asking there. They are quite helpful. You have to ask to join, post the photos, tell your story and ask for and ID. The have some basic rules, like you are not permitted to offer items for sale there or ask for values, but it is a fun group.

Post back what you learn!

I recently purchased these monkeys. I am particularly interested in information about them.

Answers

Contact the Superior toy company. Ebay has one that looks similar.

The seller is asking $20.50 www.ebay.com/.../183749302507?hash=item2ac84fd8eb...

Do a search on "google" put in any information you can find, like description, manufacture, any numbers you might find, do you know if they were made in the USA .
Also try eBay , also do a search with any information you have, a good start is putting in "stuffed monkeys" and see if there are any the same or similar.

Hi,

I think this looks like a vintage Howdy Doody Zippy Monkey. You can find it listed here:

www.pinterest.com/.../?lp=true

I had one when I was very young! I loved that monkey so much!

I think you can get a good price on these!

---Blessings,

Robyn

The large plush monkey looks similar to the monkey that was featured on the Howdy Doody show in the 1950's but these were made by several companies and a lot of "knock-offs" have been produced since then.

Your monkey does not appear to have an open mouth (?) and the real ones did as Mr. Bim was always eating a banana (and a banana was with the originals).
Also, the ears appear to be quite different as well as the eyes.
I think the originals also wore shoes that did not come off.

Still - yours may be a plush from around that same time.

Here is a listing showing the original monkey:

www.ebay.com/.../192830667602?hash=item2ce59a7b52...

Here is a link to similar ones that recently sold on eBay: You can see that several different styles were produced.

www.ebay.com/.../i.html?LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&_nkw...(chimp,monkey)&_sop=13&_ipg=100

Here is a site that tells a little about this monkey. You may be able to contact them for information on your monkey.

www.fabtintoys.com/.../

Here is a link to a forum where you can ask about plush toys. You may need several pictures and usually only ask about one item at a time.

www.facebook.com/.../

The one on the right, I believe is a Zippy. He is a 50s/early 60s toy. Depending on condition, he sells between $25 an $65 dollars. There are several sold on eBay in this price range. I would read each to see what the difference is between the 25 and 65 version. I know condition is always a factor.

The one on the left has me puzzled. I don't know him. At first I thought he was what I remembered Mr Bim, but the features are not quite right.

There are a number of vintage ID sites on Facebook that may be able to help. My favorite is doll & toy identification help

They WILL NOT give you values, but if you can ID him through this site, I can help you value him.

Post back what you learn. Thanks for sharing. These brought back fun memories!

There seems to be a lot of confusion about this stuffed monkey so I decided to try and find out something about the "true" history.

My sister (born in 1982) got this unicorn doll when she was in kindergarten. It used to have a yellow horn that was sewn on. I have Googled myself to death trying to figure out even what brand this is or where it came from. I can't find anything like it. It it all white, excluding the yellow horn that's missing in the picture.

We can't remember if it was new when she got it, or used. So this could be from the 70s, early 80s, or late 80s, I just don't know. It has gone missing over the years so I have no tag identification to share. I'm really hoping someone recognizes it! Her b-day is coming up and I want to surprise her with it!

Answers

Popular companies that made stuffed toys were Applause and Gund. Toys r Us also sold stuffed toys under their label.

Is this the one you are looking for:

www.ebay.com/.../312585646862?hash=item48c78e730e...

Dakin was a popular maker!

What a fun idea for her birthday! Post back with an update!

This stuffed fox was purchased many years ago and I was looking to purchase another one for my nephew. I don't know what company made this stuffed animal, but I do know it was purchased at Dollywood in Pigeon Forge, TN, in the shop with the water wheel in it.

I lack the time and money to just go and look to see if they have another after all these years. Its ears are black, and the tail is a different fabric that has matted a bit over the years and it's a slightly darker color than the fabric on the body. It also has small beads in the paws that gives them weight, and the forelegs swing fairly freely.

Answers

www.dollywood.com/ You can contact Dollywood here. Maybe someone can help.

He looks like he may be the Manhattan Toy Company fox:

www.ebay.com/.../292498091917

This is one for sale on Ebay (NOT one of my auctions).

I don't know this seller or his/her feedback so check carefully before buying and see if someone has him at a better price if this is your lovely!!

Post back with an update!

I've just recently come across this interesting (to me) stuffed animal. I was wondering if anyone might have information about it. I can't tell if it's hand made or not. There are no tags. I'm not really sure what type of animal it is either? Thinking maybe a mouse? Any information or guesses as to what it is would help.
Thanks.

Answers

It looks like a knockoff of the popular Alf toys of the 1980s.

This animal is indeed different. I don't think it's actually designed to be a realistic animal. It looks like it's a handmade creation from someone inventive imagination.

I got this when I was born in 1980 and it got destroyed years ago. All I have is this picture. I am trying to find a replacement. I appreciate any help.

Answers

It could be a Gund or an Applause brand. They were popular at the time.

There were so many companies making plush in 1980s from the big names like Enesco and Russ to the five and dime store brands.

You could try emailing a photo to a few of them. Here is the Enesco web page:

www.enesco.com/.../gund.php

This is the company formerly known as Russ Berrie:

www.sukigifts.com/.../contacts

You could search and look through images on eBay and Etsy just use terms like large head plush bunny. You may hit upon it right away.

I sure hope you find the exact match.

Blessings! Post back with an update!

I found this toy created by Possum Trot, but I can't seem to figure out where it came from or what it's worth.

Any help?

Answers

Possum Trot made stuffed toys in the 1970s and 1980s. They ask a good price- up to $100. www.ebay.ca/.../i.html?_ssc=1&_nkw=possum+trot

I've had this puppy for about twenty nine years. He was my first stuffed animal as a baby. I'm trying to identify the company that makes him. His tag info wore off. Google hasn't been any help.

Answers

Write to Gund and Applause. They made a lot of stuffed toys in that time period.

Consumer Advice Collectibles ToysFebruary 20, 2018
🎃
🎂
🌻