Identifying a Vintage Stuffed Toy?

This little guy, no taller that 4 inches, has been with me for about 40 years. I have no idea where he came from and wondered if one of your members could assist. He has just come to light during a loft clearance. The body, hands, and feet are made of leather with what I assume is real fur. His jacket used to be red and white stripes, now worn, and appears to be made of a rough cloth. I have looked at the 'Wombles' and searched his image online, but cannot find anything similar. I am in London, but suspect he is from another country and may've been a gift from someone who travelled abroad. All suggestions welcome. Many thanks and kind regards MJ.

Answers

Best Answer

He sort of looks like a bird they had on a cartoon so many years ago. I remember the bird flying around and he looked just like this guy. I totally forget the name of the cartoon I saw when I was a child. It was with a bunch of animals and this looks like one of the characters in the cartoon.

Answer this Question

26 More Questions

Hello! I have a big challenge for everyone. This is my (very well loved) rabbit circa 1975 that my mom got from a hospital gift shop. I know he looks like he is 100 years old! He use to have a tongue and the tag fell out years ago. Would anyone be able to identify him?

Answers

Best Answer

The rabbit sort of looks like the rabbits that R Dakin use to make back then. They were usually called stuffed or plush animals or easter animals. The style of the rabbit is similar to some that are in a lot better condition than yours that people are selling online. I do believe this rabbit came in a few different colors. I think it came in the grey rabbit you have here and also a brown rabbit. It is very hard to tell because of the condition of your rabbit.

Best Answer

He may be an animal alley brand. How tall is he? Is gray and white his original color? What is he stuffed with?

Are you in the US? Maybe with a little more info, I can give more guidance. Thanks!

Answer this Question

I have had this puppy since the early to mid 80s. I remember it came in a card board shaped like a dog house with a red roof. It had little things written on the box like, "Will you take me home?", "Rescue me", etc. There were a bunch of different puppies to choose from and I think they had even come out with kittens?

The dog house box, was only as big as the puppy's head and the head was the only thing sticking out. I really want to say this was called a Recuse Pet, or Rescue Pup/puppy, that's what just really sticks out in my mind. But I can't find anything on that.

When I was little my mom washed and dried him on high heat killing the fur, his tag and his eyes (which she repainted on him for me). He is roughly 8 inches long. I remember going to the toy store (probably Children's Palace) seeing the display on the shelf and picking out this particular guy and reading all the sayings on the little dog house shaped box. My sister picked put one that was black and white with short ears. The only tag on him is under his left ear. Can some one please help me identify this guy? Thank you!! :)

Answers

Best Answer

Someone on a Facebook toy identification page found what this little guy was. Its a Hug-a-pup made by Marchon company in 1985. :D they made a bunch of different ones.

Answer this Question

This felt (?) monkey is 15" tall and 4" wide and 6" deep (measured from his back to the tips of his feet/hands).

He was found with a lot of vintage toys, some from the 1930s, some newer. He is possibly from the UK. He has what appears to be a wire skeleton and (I think) straw stuffing. His eyes are glass. There is a twisted ribbon wire attached, wrapped around his head, neck, and upper body, but I'm not sure this is original to the toy. His jacket and hat are not removable, they are attached with machine stitching.

Any idea the decade or manufacturing company? Any and all information greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Answers

Best Answer

Sweet! Organ grinder monkey. Probably hand made, depending on stuffing straw or sawdust), my best guess is 1940s. Or it is a really good repro if stuffed with fiberfill. There are many similar on Esty. Not sure if the sell but asking prices are all over the place averaging $50.

What is the fabric? Wool? The eyes look neat? Can you tell if they are plastic or lucite or glass? I will see if I can figure out who made the pattern!

Best Answer

Still neat looking.
He does appear to be a well made organ grinder monkey.
Also looks like he had a longer 'beard' at one time.

Perhaps someone on one of the forums can help with this. You'll have to join to be able to post your question.

www.facebook.com/.../

www.facebook.com/.../

offspring.lifehacker.com/how-to-find-a-dupe-of-your-kids-missing...

Answer this Question

I have been searching online for months, and can't find this raccoon. I don't know the brand, but it was purchased in Connecticut in 1982 for my husband. He lost it as a kid, and his mom searched for a replacement for years, until finally giving up.

She started searching again online a few months back, and had viewed thousands and thousands of images, but no luck. I am hoping someone can possibly help.

Answers

Best Answer

He looks a lot like a Daekor Potbelly Raccoon. There are a bunch on eBay at the moment, you just need to guesstimate which size he is. Looks like maybe 12 inches.

Put Daekor Raccoon into the eBay search and you will see them.

Post back if you find it!! It can be so hard to find a lost lovie! I hope you can find it for your hubby!

Best Answer

It is very, very difficult to find a vintage plush animal (as you have discovered) because there have been so many 'similar' ones made over the years and without a brand it is even more difficult.

There are several forums that try to help (and have a lot of members) so maybe try some of these.

www.facebook.com/.../?ref=group_header

www.lostmylovey.com/

Answer this Question

I've had this tiny kitty plush since I was a small child (early 80s). I have no idea where it came from, but I feel like it was an accessory to another toy. I was rather cat-obsessed as a kid.

She originally had two blue eyes and two pink ears (all felt). I don't remember if she had a mouth. There was a small pink ribbon bow where the glue spot is now. She's very small. Maybe 3" and fits well in a small hand.

Any information anyone could give me would be awesome. Thank you!

Answer this Question

Hello! I am trying to find a place to get an example of this. I got it from my cousin 22 years ago but I have no clue about the brand. I live in Spain and I have never seen any other plushie like this.

It used to be pinkier and the eyes looked bigger and brighter. There used to be two thread knots in the nose as nostrils. Thank you beforehand!

Answer this Question

This was given to a friend in the 1970s. It was his favorite childhood toy, but we don't know what it is! Does anyone know what this stuffed animal is?

Answers

Best Answer

It looks like Bashful,one of the 7 dwarfs.

Best Answer

Maybe one of the Rice Krispie Trio

Answer this Question

I am looking to identify this 1988 stuffed elephant made of silk. It was given to me in 1988 and has been well-loved (obviously). When I first got it she was in a pink dress with bows and ribbons.

I really hope someone might be able to help me, please! I've been looking for years.

Answer this Question

I've had this dinosaur for over 20 years. It was passed down from my late grandma. It is in need of some TLC so I contacted a stuffed animal doctor online. The person then advised me that it's probably stuffed with excelsior because it's insides are stiff. It also looks mohair, handprinted, and vintage. Before sending it to the person for repairs she advised me to look into researching it more and see if it can be authenticated and given an heirloom status.

The thing is I don't know where to start my research as my grandma passed when I was very young and my parents also don't know where the dinosaur came from. Please help!

Answers

Best Answer

Thanks for the additional information!

Fiesta Toy Company is one of the biggest makers of stuffed dinosaur toys and over the years they have made similar items to yours, although I can't find an exact match at the moment. The eyes are what leads me to believe it was theirs. They are unusual.

They have been around since the early 1970s.

My best suggestion is to call or email them and ask if it is one of theirs and if so their recommendations for repairs. Here is their info:

(323) 581-9988

fiesta@fiestatoy.com

Post back with an update!! Cute piece!! Looking forward to hearing more!

Answer this Question

Can someone please help me identify this dog? I'm 29 years old and have had it for 25 years. The tag information has worn off.

Thanks!

Answers

Best Answer

Russ, Dakin, Applause, and A&B Novelty company all made plushies with the thick eyebrows at various points, although more so in the 1980s, than the 1990--which is when you say you got yours.

When I first saw this cutie, I thought he was a"knock off" of an Odie plushie from Garfield Cartoon. He may be. He looks so familiar, I know I have seen him and probably sold him at one point or another when I worked in retail.

There is a Facebook group called Doll & Toy Identification Help. You can try asking there. They are quite helpful. You have to ask to join, post the photos, tell your story and ask for and ID. The have some basic rules, like you are not permitted to offer items for sale there or ask for values, but it is a fun group.

Post back what you learn!

Answer this Question

Would anyone be able to tell me who the manufacturer of this stuffed animal is or any information about it? It was my mom's favorite childhood stuffed animal and I have been searching for it.

I happened to see it on an episode of a show and would love to be able to track one down for her if it were possible.

Thank you!

Answers

Best Answer

There is a website that might be able to help you. They are in the business of remaking stuffed animals that were destroyed or even lost. You can try to send them the image to see if they would make one for you. www.budsies.com/.../

Answer this Question
Load More
Consumer Advice Collectibles Toys Stuffed ToysFebruary 20, 2018
🎉
🎄
😷
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Identifying-a-Vintage-Stuffed-Toy-1.html