Identifying an Antique Porcelain Doll

I need help identifying my doll. Any info would be helpful. I tried doing some research, but there are no markings.

You have to undress the doll to see markings on the back of the neck, back and bottoms of feet. If there are truly none, the doll is probably not worth too much.

Thank you Judy, I will check again, she seems to look like many I've seen, but I didn't notice any markings when I looked.

I am not positive, but she looks to me like a style of doll known as a German Low Brow. See this link to see if you think she is in that family--since I can't see her full on face:

www.rubylane.com/.../German-China-Head-Low-Brow-Doll

These dolls still command some value in the market...but you would need to figure out exactly who she is and who made her. Judy had some suggestions for looking for markings.

They can be where on the doll and are not always big. If the clothing has tags that may or may not be helpful depending on if it was played with or had the original clothing replaced.

The site I have attached has a contact link. If you ask about more info for insurance purposes, vs. selling her, they may give you a truer value and more info than if they think you want to sell her.

Let us know what you find!

I agree that your doll looks like one of the antique German dolls and could be valuable.

• Since you say there are no markings I believe you should take several very good pictures and post your question on several doll forums because there are lots of experienced/knowledgeable people who answer questions on a regular basis.
  • Here are a couple of links to doll forums and there are usually instructions on how to post pictures.
  • www.tapatalk.com/.../
  • community.ebay.com/.../218
  • Ad

• I truly believe in appraisals as much information can be gained from doll knowledgeable people. You will need good pictures - full face, legs, shoes, clothes plus any material information you have as well as measurements. Try sending question/pictures to several places.
  • www.whatsellsbest.com/.../dolls.html
  • This is an excellent site but she charges $15 (a small price to pay for the information she gives).
  • www.mearto.com/appraisal

i love this!! this doll is an Actual Antique!

I agree that is is most likely a German LowBrow, or Nanking, doll.

A manufacturer appears as Hertwig and here's a great article. As you can see, the images of the chubby ruddy cheeks, tight curls, and thick body fits your doll very well quintessentialantiquedolls.wordpress.../.../

"Mary Krombholz tells us in A Pictorial Reference Guide for German Chinas that the Hertwig Porcelain Factory, located in the Thuringian town of Katzhuette, made porcelain products from 1864 until the factory closed around 1950.

Doll parts were made from 1865 on.The earliest shoulder heads may have been made of unglazed porcelain. As far as dolls, Hertwig is most noted for their Nanking-Puppen, or lowbrow dolls with nanking (brown cotton) bodies, stuffed with cotton, with bisque or china limbs."

it seems to me that the doll should have a logo of "Hertwig Katzhutte" surrounding a house somewhere on its body or head.

I like this site for antique dolls but this one does not have much to say re this brand: www.dollreference.com/hertwig_doll_company.html