Improving Family Relationships

Category Family
Improving Family Relationships
Good communication and tolerance help make people get along better. This guide is about improving family relationships.

How do you get along with relatives when they make everything an opposite meaning of what you say to them. Since they misinterpret things I say they got angry and cut my family and I out of their life. They blocked e-mail accounts for revenge. It hurt my girls' feelings because they can't send mail to cousins. They don't care.

They say it's my fault, that I hurt their feelings because I "ran my mouth to them". I only gave them advice, recommendations, and opinions of my point of view. That's all.

By Trudy from Trout Run, PA

I would leave them alone. I've been there, good luck.

Did they ask for this advice, recommendations, and points of view?

I agree with kffrmw88, I'd leave them alone. I have a mother and a sister who both act that way. What your relatives are doing to you is what is known as manipulative guilt. They make you look like the guilty party, and it's always your fault.

You would be better off with a nice circle of friends than to deal with dysfunctional relatives.

By the way, I have nothing to do with my mother and sister. I have peace of mind, and I'm not allowing them to drive me nuts.

I understand the hurt. Although my brother and I was very very close until marriage our relationship is now almost non existent due to his wife of 28 years. No matter the circumstances she is "hurt". She is hurt because she was not emailed at the same time, hurt because he knew something she did not, hurt because we discussed elderly mom and did not include her, hurt because, well you name it she is "hurt". I have always tried to include her, tried to extent a hand of friendship but her jealously makes it hard on my brother.

After all of these years I do what they call "pass & re-pass". I'm sad about it but I realize that she is his wife and he is bound to her and I just don't need the friction. My children are not close to their cousins either because of this. They have a network of friends that although not biologic are family to them. I guess what I'm trying to say is so folks just gotta blame someone. Don't make yourself a target. I do have contact with my brother and sigh. I do copy his wife and call their home phone so she can listen I only talk about non controversial topic and if one heats up. I quickly have a reason I've gotta go.