Making Gem Necklaces for Kids
Acrylic beads and gems, elastic cording, and a safety clasp provide the basics for making all sorts of pretty, fun, gem necklaces for kids. Older children can make their own with limited supervision, if hot glue is used.
Share on ThriftyFunThis page contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
Here's how you can make a kid safe necklace with acrylic gems by adding elastic and a safety clasp. In case of an emergency, your child could easily remove their necklace.
*I bought a bucket full of acrylic gems at my local craft store. They come in all shapes and sizes. Some had holes so I figured this would be an awesome necklace for the kiddos.
Total Time: 25 minutes
Yield: 1 necklace
- acrylic gems
- safety clasp
- needle threader/needle
- elastic string
- Prepare your thread (I used red thread).
- Prepare a necklace design.
- Thread your necklace design. Cut off any excess thread, but do leave a few inches on both sides of the thread to attach elastic band later on.
- You will need to cut even lengths of elastic. Then, open your safety clasp thread the elastic through and secure with a knot for each as pictured.
- Secure a knot from the end of the thread to elastic band. Trim off excess elastic and thread.
- Repeat on both sides. Now necklace is ready to be worn!
My son wanted a diamond necklace like mine, here's a kid friendly version. To make this necklace setting, we used just beads and hot glue!
You can make any setting you would like with beads. Then you'll need string, a clasp, and some diamond gems.