Paint Color Advice for Kitchen and an Adjoining Room

Choosing complementary paint colors for adjoining rooms can be difficult. This is a page about paint color advice for kitchen and an adjoining room.

It's a condo with no table in the kitchen just appliances and floor space. The cabinets are washed oak, the appliances are bisque and the countertops are grey with some mixture of beige. I am planning on opening up the space to add some light but keeping all the above. What would be a nice color to make the room look new? It opens up into the dining area and living room that has beautiful sea green drapes that really make the room. What color should I paint the living room too? Something different from the kitchen, but something that would tie them both together

By Noel

Answers

What "color" of gray are your counters? (there are many) If it is one that you find attractive try to match the family it is in, either lighter or deeper.

If it is a good one, that could also be used in the other area in just another intensity. If it is "right", the turquoise drapes could be a real wow with it.

Oops, I meant sea green drapes.

We painted our kitchen walls powder blue. What color should we paint walls in our adjoining room to the kitchen? Our cabinets are black.

I loved this red wall for a while, and now am tired of it. I am having a pantry installed and thought it would be a good time now to paint while waiting for the doors to dry. I would like a color to paint the living room and kitchen so that the rooms will flow together. As you can see, I have an abundance of woodwork and I have a hard time choosing wall paint colors.

I am not a fan of white, although my husband loves it and the oak cabinetry.

My living room furniture is a red/maroon leather and I do not have a lot of wall space to paint in that area. The pantry is a cream color, SW Masion Blanche, though it looks more white in the photo. I was thinking about a gray green color. I bought a sample of SW Chatroom and really like it, but not sure. Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thank you.

I have open concept living, dining room, and kitchen. My cabinets are coffee toffee. I have a burgundy side bar cabinet in the dining room, black fireplace and console TV stand in the living room, with a rust carmel color sofa.

What would be a nice paint to tie it all together? Help!

Answers

Best Answer

I think a very pale cream color would compliment all those colors mentioned. Several brown shades already in place, I would avoid using more.

My family room is open to the kitchen with a bar counter between both rooms. The kitchen color in green sage. What color should I paint the family room? I removed the shelf along the white wall and I'm mounting a flat 55 inch TV. I changed the kitchen swags to white linen.

We have a small home and need advice on what color to paint the walls. Since the home is small, the kitchen and living room connect. So basically we are really trying to get a flow of color throughout the main floor.

The house is rectangular and the kitchen and living room make almost a shape like this "]". There are 4 walls total. One in the kitchen (north short wall), 1 that goes the length of the kitchen and living room (east long wall), 1 in the living room (south short wall), and 1 that is in the living room that leads down to bedrooms, etc. The kitchen has great lighting, living room has poor lighting.

I am really struggling with what color to pick. We have a medium/dark shade of red oak cabinets, black counter top and then a grey/white/black tiled back drop under the cabinets. So what color do I put on these huge walls to lighten them up? Hoping for a base color that can be used multiple places in the house, but then also an accent color? Should we use 1 main color on all the walls, and then 1 wall is an accent colored wall?

I am not knowledgeable in this area though so any input would be great! (Pardon the mess.)

Answers

I'd paint all the walls white which will really brighten up your rooms. You can always change the color later. You can get some good ideas by going to a home improvement store.

(Excuse my clutter, lol.) Anywho! I have an apartment living room/kitchen color flow dilemma. For sure, I want to paint my living room a turquoise color with white molding. However, I'm stuck between 3 preferred options for color flow: 1.) turquoise & wine red? 2.) turquoise & grey? 3.) turquoise & turquoise? And if anyone can think of a good color flow from turquoise to what ever, please let me know. I'm open for two tone colors as well. Oh, I also need advice on color for my cabinets as well.

Thanks everyone!

I am remolding my kitchen and my counter top are different colors of brown, beige, gray, and black. The kitchen floor tile is medium brown. My appliances are stainless steel. My kitchen and dinning room are connected and my den is knotty pine paneling. Please tell me what paint colors to use for the kitchen and dining room walls.

By Jada from Columbia, SC

Answers

Use a slightly lighter or darker shade of the grey.

Ypu could stay neutral with a cream color or go with something more appealing such as a blue or green color. I would stay with a light to medium wedgewood blue or a sage green.

There is a color called Carolina Blue which I used with knotty pine and it worked quite well. I liked the suggestion of blues and/or greens. Aqua or turquoise if light enough might work.

I have an open concept living area that includes family, kitchen, and dining. My cabinets are your typical oak with a counter top that is a laminate green color mix My high ceilings are all cedar wood almost the color of the golden oak cabinets. There are two hallways that come off of this area.

When we bought the house it had all off white walls. I would like to paint them, but have no idea where to start. My family room furniture is navy blue and I have window toppers that are currently a mix of navy, maroon, dark green, dark gold, cream, and tan. Any ideas that will tie them all together? I have thought of changing out the toppers so that's not a deciding factor.

By JanLRW

Answers

I would start with the cabinets either paint them a glossy white or a a type of "white" wash but in a light green as well as the front of the island.

If you want to leave the cabinets and counter tops as is, I suggest going with a lighter shade of green or maybe a pale yellow. Go to the paint store and pick up a bunch of paint "chips" (sample cards). Take them home and tape them to the walls. Leave them there for a few days until you decide which one you like the best.

I have a dark counter top and light wood cabinets. I need some advice on what to paint the walls. I live in an apartment so the living room and kitchen are connected. On one wall in the kitchen is where the appliances, sink, and cabinets are. On the other wall there is just the kitchen table and if you go into the living room (on the same wall) that is where the couch and love seat are.

I mainly need a color that will look good in both rooms. I was thinking to play it safe and just do a beige. But I do love color. I'm just not sure of a nice looking color. Any suggestions?

By Megan A.

Answers

Your cabinets and counter top are neutral colors that way anything will go with them. However, in an apartment are you allowed to paint? Where I live the only way a person can paint in the apartments is if they can afford to repaint the walls to the orgional off-white color, when they move out.

What color are your couch and love seat?

We are renovating our kitchen. It is a smaller 10 x 10 kitchen. We are adding an island as well. The cabinets we picked out are white, our countertops are going to be a grayish black, and our floors are semi-dark gray wood laminate.

Our kitchen does flow right into our living room (we are in a an apartment so it is kinda small). We are facing north, in a corner, so we get no natural light into the kitchen. Right now the walls are just plain white as they have not been painted that I know of.

In our living room and kitchen we do have more black/brown wood features like a coffee table and all that. What we don't know is what color to paint the kitchen that will work also as the living room color. We are able to split the colors if need be, but we are not sure if we shouldn't just go really light like an eggshell. I would like a grayish blue (not too dark), but I'm afraid that will darken the room too much. Any suggestions would be a great help. Thanks

By stephanie from Alberta, Canada

Answers

If you want to lighten up the room and make it sunny...a light yellow in warm (buttercream) or cool (lemony) would be beautiful. Our son just did his room in dark charcoal woodwork, sheer grey ceiling, and light blue-green (sea like effect) walls. It looks fabulous, and I was cringing before I saw the effect. ;)
I don't know if you are where winter has an effect, but you might want to take into account the effect of cool colors in a north facing room.

With the white cabinets, you could go with a punch of color or a bit darker, too.
Nowadays, you can split colors beautifully between rooms as long as they look harmonious.

One suggestion that has helped us paint: get several paint chip samples so you can place them on different walls and leave them up for a while so you can see them in different lights (We even waited over seasons) especially by the adjoining room and where you can see the paint. It saves a lot of headache of repainting a mistake.
Then choose what makes you feel happy.
Enjoy!

I agree with italianswede a buttercream would be nice. On tv they tell you to look in your closet these are the color u like. They also say if you have two colors you should bring them into each room. I painted my kitchen an olive green, it brings the outdoors in. Than any accents will look good. As there is every color outdoors. When you paint a color you will see your room go from plain to a picture in a magazine.

In my kitchen, I have maple cabinets and mauve Formica countertops. I am looking to paint some walls (right now they are a pink color). I want to freshen up the room. Also my kitchen and family room are together, I have a maroon carpet and pink and beige faux paint. I would also like to update that room. Want to update with minimal costs. Any suggestions?

By Rose D. from South Jersey

I want to paint my living room and kitchen that are adjoining. It is not an open floor plan. I need some help finding colors that work without making the rooms look completely off from each other. I am wanting a tan for the living room and even thought about doing a darker wall as an accent. Then I wanted to do the kitchen in a medium colored grey.

By lucas292010

I am painting my cabinets white and want to know if it is a good idea to paint the adjoining family room paneling the same as the walls in kitchen? One wall in kitchen is plain and flows into the family room. What color for paneling?

By P. S. from Chesapeake VA

Answers

Do whatever you want in your house. It has to be your decision and you don't have to worry about matching the white of the cabinets because anything will go with white.

We have cherry woodwork, dark wood floors, and cream leather couches, with neutral chairs. One is a brown/black tweed and one is a cordovan color leather. The curtains are black and cream. The living room, dining room, and kitchen paint needs to be the same. I have a light gold color now, but am not happy with it. The kitchen counters are gray, cream, and black. What color for the walls? Would a gray blue work?

By joanbh

We are redoing our condo (kitchen, hall, living room combo). The floors are a light oak laminate. The cabinets are cream/washed look with cream appliances. I'd like to brighten the small area. We are putting in wainscoating in the hallway. So my questions are: using white trim (is that okay against the cream cabinets//appliances) and then a nice overall color that would bring all the rooms together. I am thinking a light green, or yellow? Thoughts?

By Brenda

Load More

Home and Garden Home Improvement Decorating Paint Color AdviceNovember 1, 2012
😷
🐛
📓
🌻
😎
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Paint-Color-Advice-for-Kitchen-and-an-Adjoining-Room.html