Previously House Trained Dog Pooping in House

My Romanian Rottie is neutered and has been fully housebroken for years. He just turned five the other day. He had an abusive past, but has never shown any signs of it altering his great personality. However, the past couple weeks he has been pooping on my bedroom floor every night after I fall asleep. And tonight I brought him back inside (I put him out during the day to play and get some sunshine) and when I went to pet him before I opened the door he shook my hand off his head.

Then I called him into the bedroom and went to rub him and he snapped at me. I tried again and he growled and snapped at my hand. I don't know what's going on.

I know his hips are hurting because of the cold weather. He is now inside his kennel whining without end. But I'm not letting him out of it tonight for fear of him making a mess on my floor again and in light if his unusual anger towards me a little bit ago what is going on with my dog.

By Kat B. from Salisbury, NC

If your dog is in pain, all of these behaviors would be normal. He needs to see a vet. This type of "biting" and "aggressive behavior" in an otherwise balanced dog is a definite sign that something is wrong and the dog is acting out of fear.

Remember, there are only three responses to perceived danger and/or pain: Fight (your dog is doing this), Flight or Freeze.

First, take your dog to the vet for the pain in his hips. They will probably give you some pain meds for him. Then contact a professional trainer for the aggression issues.

It is hard to sort out what is physical and what is behavior. You need to have him checked out by a Vet to eliminate physical problems. Then you can concentrate on behavior. Are there new dogs in the neighborhood that could be bothering him? Is he neutered? Good luck.