ClothingRepair

Quick Temporary Hem Fix

Vote for this contest contender!

I was in a hurry this morning and snagged the hem of my slacks with my big toe. It ripped out a good portion of the stitching. I needed those black slacks and didn't have time to get a needle and thread and fix them.

I remember an old trick. Use Scotch tape to hold the hem temporarily. After taping it together, I was good to go. It worked well with no problems.

If I had had my knee highs on before putting on the slacks, which I usually do, this probably would not have happened.

We called that the "secretary's trick" back when I wore skirts and dresses to work. A stapler can work in a pinch, but put the pointy ends to the right side, not the inside or you might get scratched.

That reminds me of a time that I worked at an office. I wore a new dress that had metal buttons all down the front. At some point during the day, the buttons started to pop off.

I had to staple it closed to get through the day. I sewed the buttons back on with dental floss and never had another problem. Thank goodness I was wearing a slip underneath!

I learned these tricks in high school back in the 50's. All the girls wore dresses and skirts to school and church.