Receiving Social Security Survivor Benefits

My husband died when my daughter was 4. She never received any benefits. Can she get them now?

That would depend on how old she is and if she is attending school.

Social Security Survivor benefits are paid until a child graduates from high school - age 18 or up to 19 plus 2 months if she is still attending high school full time.
No benefits are payable after the age of 19 unless she was disabled.

You can always ask your questions at your local SSA to be sure you are getting the correct information.

www.ssa.gov/.../EN-05-10085.pdf

She can receive benefits until she is 19, as long as she is still attending high school.

One last thing to add, if you need help going through this process, contact the local office of your Federal Government Representative and see if they can help.

I found mine (and my state rep) both from Google. For the fed, I put the phrase federal representative and my town in the Google search bar. My answer was the second item down after all the crap that usually comes up.

You may see terms like Congressman or State Representative in the title.

My STATE Rep is actually closer in location than the FED, so you may see which one is closest to you and start there.

If they can't help, ask for the telephone info for the other!!

These services are all free (taxpayer money) and if yours are like ours, they are quite lovely to work with! Ours even has a free notary service which has saved us a bundle when we were closing out family estates and such.

Hope it all works out for you!

Business and Legal Legal General AdviceJuly 20, 2019
🐛
📓
🌻