Recipes Using Oranges

Category Fruit
Whether fresh or canned, oranges can make delightful treats and beverages. This page contains recipes using oranges.

A simple and tasty treat! You can use any type of chocolate you want to but dark chocolate makes the orange or tangerine segments taste absolutely divine :-)

• 2 medium naval oranges or 3 tangerines
  • 3/4 cup dark chocolate chips

Directions:

Peel the oranges or tangerines and separate into segments.

Place a sheet of wax paper on a baking sheet.

Place chocolate chips in a double boiler and heat, stirring occasionally, until chocolate is melted.

Dip the orange or tangerine segments lengthwise into the chocolate one at a time, coat three fourths of each segment and place on baking sheet.

Place baking sheet in the refrigerator or freezer and let set until chocolate has hardened.

By Deeli from Richland, WA

All I can say is, "Refreshing!" :-)

Directions:

Whisk together orange juice, olive oil, vinegar and zest in a small bowl, season with salt and pepper and set aside.

Bring a medium pot of water to boil and prepare an ice bath. Boil asparagus until just tender, about 2 to 3 minutes, drain and place in ice bath right away. Once asparagus is cooled, drain and place on a clean kitchen towel and pat dry.

Place asparagus on plates, top with orange segments, drizzle with vinaigrette, sprinkle with sunflower seeds and serve.

By Deeli from Richland, WA

Ingredients

• 1 envelope nonfat salad dressing for Honey Mustard Fat Free Dressing (Good Seasons is good)
  • 1/4 cup vinegar
  • 2 Tbsp. orange juice
  • Ad

• 1/2 cup water
  • 1/2 tsp. grated orange peel (opt.)
  • 8 cup torn spinach
  • 3 oranges, sectioned
  • 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
  • 6 slices turkey bacon, cut into 1 inch pieces, cooked

Directions

Prepare salad dressing mix with vinegar, orange juice and water as directed on envelope, substituting orange juice for the 2 Tbsp. water and adding orange peel. Mix spinach, orange sections, onion, and turkey bacon in large bowl. Add dressing; toss lightly. Serve immediately. Makes 6 servings.

By Robin from Washington, IA

Great tasting salad that is easy to make!

• 1 (3 oz.) pkg. orange gelatin
  • 1 1/2 cups boiling water
  • 8 oz. cream cheese
  • Ad

• 1/4 cup orange juice
  • 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
  • 1 Tbsp. grated orange rind

Directions:

Dissolve gelatin in boiling water. Gradually add to softened cream cheese, mixing well until blended. Stir in juices and orange rind. Pour into 1 quart mold. Chill until firm. Unmold and serve on lettuce leaf, if desired.

Servings: 6
Prep Time: 20 Minutes
Cooking Time: 0 Minutes

By Robin from Washington, IA

Great combination of ingredients in this recipe! Very good side dish!

• 20 oz. frozen carrots, cooked and drained
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1 can mandarin oranges, drained
  • 1/2 cup orange juice
  • 2 Tbsp. butter

Directions:

Mix ingredients and simmer on top of stove or in medium 350 degrees F oven for 25-30 minutes.

Servings: 4
Prep Time: 10-15 Minutes
Cooking Time: 25-30 Minutes

By Robin from Washington, IA

Take 3 oranges. Peel them into slices and make sure to remove all peels and white pithy stuff. Layer them on a flat plate and sprinkle them with 4 teaspoons of maple sugar.

I have an abundance of oranges. I bought two cases of oranges which were being sold as a fundraiser. The oranges are okay but not terrific, so my family is not eating them up. Besides juicing and making marmalade, I can't think of anything else I can do with the oranges to use them up. Got any suggestions?

Tina from Ashland, OR

Answers

How about freezing portions to replace lemon juice/zest for cooking and baking, fruit syrup for pancakes, candied peels, orange meringue pie?
Any of the cooking magazine type sites should have lots of ideas and at least some are search able by ingredient.

Three in a small basket wrapped nicely would make a good neighborly gift!

Anonymous

This would only use up one, two or three oranges depending on the batch amount you make but the meatballs and sauce are freezable for future use :-) (I double or triple the recipe for freezing)

I think I've posted this recipe before here but not under the catergory of usages for oranges ;-) It's dear to my heart because it's my Grampa Tampourlos' recipe ... He came to the US in 1917 from Greece and it remains a family favorite :-)

Tampourlos Family Greek Spaghetti & Meatballs

1 lb Hamburger (not lean)
2 tbls diced onions
12 saltine crackers, crushed
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tbls grated orange rind
1/4 tsp salt
Dash of pepper
28 oz can tomato sauce
Spaghetti (or other non-flavored favorite pasta :-)

Combine all ingredients, except pasta, and 'round' into dollar size balls. Brown meatballs in a skillet on medium heat. Transfer the meatballs, and the hamburger grease from browning them, into a baking dish. Add the tomato sauce. Bake covered for 45 minutes at 350 degrees. Cook your choice of pasta "al dente" and smother with sauce and meatballs.

Serve with Greek Salad (tomato, cucumber, red onion all cut your favorite way; tossed with olive oil, red wine vinegar, crumbled Greek feta cheese and pitted Kalamata olives)  Also serve with Greek feta cheese, Kalamata olives and French bread with room temp unsalted butter. Don't forget to serve with orange wedges as a garnish/fruit treat ;-)

Serves 4

Believe it or not I have frozen orange slices that were delicious when I ate them. I just wanted to see if it would work and they were good. Peeled orange and slice segmants.

Go to Allrecipes, Recipezaar or any such recipe site and ask for recipes using oranges. I make a very good orange loaf with a recipezaar recipe. There are many recipes on these sites using oranges.

http://www.food  ecipe/index.html

These are great and relitively easy. You can also peel the rinds leaving some of the pith and zest on, put them in an old crock pot in the corner with water, apple peel or cores, and cinnamin and cloves. Keep it on low for days, adding more water when it disapates. It makes the entire house yummy smelling.

Also, if you have whole cloves, you can have the kids poke them in about every 1/2" and set them all around the house. It's a lovely smell.

I have also saved the pieces of the orange secgents that are still good and put them in a clean crockpot with some spanada wine. The combination makes a wonderful warm punch.

Hope these help!

Make Orange-Aid....Just like you would make lemon aid but use oranges instead of lemons. Since the oranges are bigger than lemons it dosent take as many oranges. I generally juice a couple and then slice the rest. Looks pretty in a punch bowl and is very yummy. My kids love it.

As you know you can freeze the juice. We buy it in freezer in grocer store. Also save some of the peel to add to meats when cooking or baking cakes. Grate some of the peel before peeling the oranges. I'm sure you can locate more uses online, just search for"orange recipe". Good luck.

Make orange cake with dried cranberries and orange zest in it. Very good and you can make orange cookies with the same options cranberries and zest. Have fun.

I know what you can do with them! Send them to me! Kidding. I juice them and the juice won't last a day in the fridge - it's awesome!

Oranges in Lime Syrup
1 1/2 cups water( or 1 cup water and 1/2 cup wine)
1/2 cup sugar
1tsp fennel seeds or anise seeds
4 navel oranges
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice
1/2 tsp freshly grated lime zest
In a medium saucepan, bring the water,sugar, and fennel seeds to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium and cook until liquid reduces to about 1/2 cup about 25 munutes.
Using a sharp paring knife, peel the oranges, removing as much of the bitter white pith as possible. Slice oranges crosswise into rounds 1/4- to- 1/2inch thick and place in a large bowl.
Strain the syrup over the orange slices. Stir in lime juice and zest. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until chilled at least 30 minutes and up to overnight. Serve orange slices drizzled with syrup.
I have made this without the fennel seed and using lime juice from a bottle and it's still good.

One winter day, when I was a child, my Daddy made Candied Orange Peel. It was good! I still think about that stuff.

If you have any other fruits, make a fruit platter for any Christmas or New Year's party you might be attending soon. For those wanting to watch their weight, or just being a fruit lover, would adore your thoughts & effort on this platter. Slice your non-peeled oranges horizontally (between the stem & bottom of the orange), also cut a little slit in the side of each slice, so they can pull it apart and eat it, or put it on their beverage glass.

I'm like the other lady, I wish I had some of your oranges, I'd put them to good use for you!

Remember zucchini bread? why not substitute the orange pulp for the zukes?

If you have other fruit, you can dry the orange peels, apple slices add cinnamon sticks or whole cloves and have homemade potpuri :)

Candied Orange Peel

Boil your orange peeling, discard water and boil again. You must do this about 3 times to get the bitterness out.
Roll in sugar then lay on wax paper to dry out completly.

Merry Christmas and good eating
Lori

If your family loves salads as we do, you can cut them up and use them in your green salads. We have just recently started doing this after having it served to us; and we love it.

A very simple, yet yummy way to use up your oranges is oranges with honey.

Simply slice your oranges in half, and put the halves in a baking dish. Drizzle a generous amount of honey over them and sprinkle with just a touch of cinammon. Bake in a 350 degree oven just long enough to heat them (5-10 mins).

Take out of the oven and place in a bowl and eat with a spoon yummy, and also very soothing and healing if you have a cold or a sore throat!

So I have a bunch (10 or so) mandarin oranges in cups, that are in liquid. My hubby is not really a big fan, so I was wondering if I could make some type of dessert with them and give them to some of my friends. Or any other ideas of something that I can do with them because I am tired of eating them plain. Any ideas?

By Jessica from West Jordan, UT

Answers

The first thing that comes to mind for me is Ambrosia Salad. You'll have to drain off the liquid, but that's no big deal. This looks very similar to the recipe my mom uses:
http://allrecip  alad/Detail.aspx

Orange Pineapple Salad

6 ounce Orange Jello
8 ounce cool whip
16 ounce cottage cheese
1 can Mandarin oranges (drained)
1 small can crushed pineapple (drained)
1 cup chopped nuts

Mix jello with cottage cheese. Add other ingredients. Chill

Anonymous

Make a salad using napa cabbage (also known as bok choy or Chinese cabbage), avocadoes and some drained mandarin oranges and use this salad dressing recipe. It's a really yummy combination:

Sesame Salad Dressing

3 tbsp rice wine vinegar
1 tbsp sesame oil
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp sesame seeds

Mix all the ingredients other than oil in a bowl. Add oil gradually into a bowl and mix well. Makes about 1/3 cup