Recovering an Old Hassock
Give new life to a vinyl covered hassock that is starting to show wear. This project provides instructions for making a crochet cover to spruce it up.
Share on ThriftyFunThis page contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
My neighbor had this poor old orange hassock. It had seen better days, so I kept saying, "If you ever need me to recover this, I would be happy to". One day, she said, "You know I am a Beavers fan, can you make it orange and black?" Done!!
Total Time: 2 hours
- 3 oz black yarn
- 2 oz orange yarn
- size N hook
- darning needle
- I used double yarn for a bulky and (quick) finished touch! Then I began with a standard granny, but I used two half doubles with a chain 1 between when I normally use three with no chain in between. I wanted some of the hassock to show through.
- I continued with the granny till it was the size of the top. It took 8 rows. I needed it a bit smaller, or I would have put a row of singles on it.
- Once it was the right size, I began "the sides of the box". So if you have ever broken down a puzzle box, you know the sides are always the width of the center piece of cardboard. So the sides are going to be just inside the chain two on the corner. That will be revealed later.
- I did a single crochet of each side, to make is as strong as I could. The number of rows was determined by how long it needed to be to cover up the tape, and also to make sure it fit down and didn't slip off. For this one, it was 8 rows. Once all the sides were done, I simply whip stitched the sides down. This was just enough to make sure it was snug. I will be honest, this was the hardest part. Just a bit too much, or too little, and it won't work. I got lucky. At the last row, I slip stitched (binding stitch) for a finished effect.
- She was very happy with it. I was happy to not see duct tape any more!! N-JOY!!
Published by ThriftyFun.
© 1997-2020 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.