Refrigerator is Leaking Water

Category Refrigerator
Determining the cause of the leak is the first step to repairing it. This guide is about refrigerator is leaking water.

My Kenmore Elite 795.71059.012 is leaking water from the left corner of the unit. What is causing it and how do I fix it?

Answers

Here is a video that might cover your problem:

https://www.you … ch?v=oY_2jNm-aGY

I'd also call Kenmore and ask them for help:

1-888-KENMORE (1-888-536-6673)

If you have an ice maker, it could be that there is a blockage or loose connection.

Check your freezer and make sure nothing is touching the back wall of the unit. At times if your freezer is full the air can't flow freely to freeze the food in the freezer.

Also check the back of your freezer. Use a vacuum cleaner to clean the dust off the coils of your unit.

Anonymous

My bad! What I thought was a damaged water valve turned out to be a pin hole leak in the water supply line! Problem solved by fixing water supply.

This could be something very simple but when you start messing with tubes in your refrigerator you might create more problems.
The weekend may not be a good time to call but any week day try calling your local Sears Service Center and they can most likely tell you what is causing it and if you can fix.

Kenmore is good with their warranty - they will be able to further assist you if you can't find the issue.

My ice maker is in the closet. My refrigerator is not connected to any water lines. The water and ice area on the door is leaking! Why?

Answers

was it connected at one time? If it was, there is still water in the lines unless you blew them out, it will leak out.

You may have a crack in the dispenser.

My Frigidaire side by side refrigerator Model FRS26LF7DS7 side-by-side leaks water on floor (toward middle of unit) when the water dispenser is depressed. The water and ice work fine. I noticed a slight "hissing" noise when water is dispensing.

Answers

It sounds like a leak in the water line that is inside the fridge (not the one that comes from the wall)

You could have a leak from the water line to the ice maker.

I have a Whirlpool/Gold refrigerator. I have been finding water underneath the crisper drawers and don't know where it is coming from. I do have an ice cube maker. Anyone have the same problem?

Joe

By betes51

Answers

If your frig has an automatic defrost feature, it is probably coming from there - however mine drains outside underneath the frig. You probably are going to need a repair man. Call all in your area for price quotes before hiring anyone.

Bexpress

Before calling a repairman, try this. Somewhere at the back of the fridge is a small hole situated on a little shelf - mine is just above the crisper boxes which is supposed to allow for drainage. Insert a plastic straw into the hole and blow hard. It could simply be that the drainage hole is blocked. This happened to me.

I have a Whirlpool/Gold refrigerator that is 8 yrs old. It has and still is working fine except recently there is water on the top shelf and more water under the two crisper drawers. I checked the ice maker and it isn't leaking. I can't understand nor find where the water in coming from. There is no outside drain tube like on my old previous fridge which was where I could clear a clog if needed.

I defrosted the fridge for two whole days and after starting it again, the water seemed to stop for about three weeks, but it started leaking again. If something is blocked where do I find whatever is blocked? If there is a drain tube then where is it inside the fridge? Anyone else have this problem and how did you fix it? Help.

By Joe

My Whirlpool refrigerator model #ed5pbaxvo00 makes ice, but leaks water into the freezer area. The water is leaking from the tray underneath the ice maker.

By Rob

Answers

We had a similar problem with ice collecting on the bottom of our 12 year old Kenmore side-by-side starting last Spring. It would get to the point where you couldn't shut the door due to 3 inches of collected ice and we had to defrost the freezer every few months. I did a lot of research and found that the water is a natural product of the defrost cycle that runs in the freezer to remove ice that builds up on the freezer element and it is supposed to drain out of the freezer through a little drain hole in the back and into a drain pain under the freezer - that explained the running water sound I used to hear from the fridge sometimes. There are a couple possible reasons the ice might build up.

First the freezer isn't sealing so it's generating a ton of frost and ice. You can try rubbing petroleum jelly along the rubber seal and that might help (it certainly made the seal stronger on ours).

Second, the drain hold could be clogged (usually by a frozen pea or other crud), so the water can't drain, freezes and builds up. If you can find the hole, defrost your freezer (you can use a hair dryer to help melt the ice) and then shoot hot water down the hole using a turkey baster. You can also try clearing it with a pipe cleaner. Make sure that the water runs into the drain pan.

Then, if the problem happens again, I found that our freezer was supposed to have a little piece of metal that runs from the defrost element to the drain hole... (all behind the back panel in the inside of the fridge). In our fridge that little metal piece had gotten broken off somehow.

There is a replacement part you can buy, but the shipping on it was ridiculous, so I decided to try a hack I found on a forum online that involved loosely wrapping a 15 gauge piece of wire around the element twice and putting the other end a little ways into the drain hole (very important to do this when the freezer is defrosted and unplugged). Then when the element heats up to run the defrost cycle to remove ice buildup from the freezer coils, it transfers the heat down the wire and into the drain, defrosting any ice so the water can drain out like it's supposed to. We did this several months ago and haven't had a problem since. Just make sure not to wrap the wire around too tight.

I have been planning to post it here on ThriftyFun but haven't gotten around to taking the freezer apart to take a picture. This is the push I needed to do it. I'll post here when I have it submitted so you can see pics.

I have a Kenmore fridge with a ice maker. The water line is leaking from the front of the fridge behind the bottom grill and behind the fridge where it connects to the ice maker on the back side. It's leaking because the movers yanked the water line out and the red and blue connector is stripped and won't stay in the holes. Not sure if it's called a connector but the parts store doesn't know what it's called either. Any suggestions? I've already looked at the Sears website and can't seem to find anything.

By Mahealani from Bend, OR

Answers

At Lowe's or any home improvement store you can buy a kit to replace the plastic tubing that is your water line, it will have the connectors you need. The one I just bought had a universal connector, and it worked perfectly.

I have a double door GE refrigerator that is leaking from the freezer door. I know that the drain line is clear. The door is leaking from the bottom of the door. I removed the inside cover and checked behind the door cover, but could not see anything because of the door being filled with Styrofoam. What would this water be leaking from?

By Rose from VA

Answers

I don't have a GE side by side, but I do have a Maytag side by side that had the same thing happening. I discovered that if I pulled it out and vaccumed out everywhere I could reach from the back side and underneath in the front (remove the grill), all the leaking stopped. After a while, it began leaking again and I cleaned in the same way. Again, it solved the problem. Simple to try. Hope it works for you.

I have a Kenmore model 596.72003011 bottom mount refrigerator. There seems to be water leaking into the freezer compartment from some where? When it gets into the bottom there it forms an ice lake. After about 3 days the ice lake reaches the seal and then the units begins to leak water onto the floor from the melting ice. The ice maker functions properly, the water dispenser works fine, the leak is not apparent at the filter. The water can be seen leaking at the bottom of the coils at the back of the freezer section just below the coils. When I turn off the water supply to the unit the leak stops. There is no apparent accumulation of water in the refrigerator section of the unit. Any ideas where the water leak may be?

I have a GE top mount refrigerator. The icemaker isn't making ice, but the water is running down inside the back panel. Help!

By Terry

My Kenmore ice box is leaking. How do I remove the inside panel?

By Mel from New Orleans, LA

Water is leaking on the floor out the back on the refrigerator side, but I am not seeing any water or ice inside the fridge or freezer.

By Clarence from IL

I have a two door GE refrigerator and water seems to leak in the tray. The problem is there is no water line hooked up.

By Sean

I have a Coldspot with an icemaker and water dispense (inside of fridge), there is no outside dispensing of ice or water. Water will occasionally leak in the fridge and freezer. I have defrosted and so far no water in the freezer section, but still occasionally in fridge. I have to leave a container in back of the fridge to catch the water. It makes ice and dispenses water just fine. Any advice?

By Etta