Remedies for Hair Damaged by a Flat Iron

Category Damaged
Regular heat from a styling iron can damage your hair. This page is about remedies for hair damaged by a flat iron.

I'm in desperate need of advice. I am a biracial woman with loose curls, but kinky and coarse hair in the front. I have recently noticed that my hair has broken from using a flat iron too much. My question is how do I get moisture back into my hair so it won't look so kinky in the front? And also can I use some type of mild relaxer like Manzi butter blend to make my bangs longer? Please help, thank u.

Answers

I would not use any more chemicals on damaged hair. From now on, spray a heat spray on your hair before you use a blow dryer or hot tool.

shea butter is divine for your hair

as is a coconut oil hair masque

I have had great luck with an egg yolk masque - you take egg yolks, beat them, warm them up, put them on your hair and leave on for 30 minutes

I looked at the Mizani product on the Ulta website and it sounds good to use on damaged hair. It probably won't have the same effect as the iron, it will be subtle, but won't damage your hair

i would let hair recuperate for a month or so before using the iron again

Thank you all for the advise, its much appreciated!!

I hope you didn't do further damage using any chemicals OR devices on your hair until it heals. Hair health is so important.

There are lots of nice, inexpensive, natural conditioners out there.

This website has some long time standards: ffood.ndtv.com/.../6-natural-hair-conditioners-for-every...

I used to use the banana one all the time (just be sure to rinse it out good especially in the warmer weather when bees are around)!

Take care and post back how things went for you!

What is good for treating damaged hair from a straightening iron? It looks like split ends, but she just had her hair trimmed.

By Marcy Downes from Ball Ground, GA

Answers

Purchase a good conditioner from a beauty supply store. Continue to condition the hair and trim off the damaged ends when it needs cutting. Over a period of time you'll see all new growth.

Also check with any of the professional cosmetologists that work in the beauty supply stores. I believe there is a product that you can use that will protect the hair when a straightening iron is used.

Also never abuse the hair by continually using a straightening iron. The same thing would happen to your hair if you constantly colored and highlighted.

Licensed Cosmetologist

I had trimmed my ends and after a while I started getting that same nasty feeling on the ends of my hair. I've been using Dove Intensive Repair shampoo and conditioner and it really has made a difference for me. I thought the only remedy was to cut it, but I was wrong. Give it a try. Much cheaper than salon conditioner as the other poster recommended! This is Thrifty Fun not really a place to recommend salon products that you will pay out the wazoo for!

I spent years curling my 'straight as a yard of pump-water' hair, my daughter was born with wavy hair. She straightens hers and I curl mine. We're all mad aren't we? All the best.

Marg from England.

Health & Beauty Beauty Hair Tips DamagedJuly 3, 2013
🌻
🎂
📓