Roof Repair Assistance for Low Income Homeowners

We are low income and need our roof repaired. We have a leak right now. I am afraid it will continue to get worse. We just about make our bills as it is. I am at my wits end. Where can I find help?

Best Answer

I am so sorry to hear of your troubles. I have a few suggestions...which are:

1. Do you belong to a religious organization (church, synagogue, mosque etc.)? Some have discretionary funds that are used to help parishioners in need. It is all very private and no one needs to know.

2. Since you have a computer and are posting here, have you considered setting up a Go Fund Me or like crowd sourcing pages?

They are fairly easy to do, you tell your story and ask for help. I know from first hand experience they work if you work to get the message out there. The only thing is I also recently learned they may count as income and may need reported to the IRS....see this link www.post-gazette.com/.../201805230153

If you go this route, you may want to have a professional do your taxes for the year of the process.

3. Do you have a Habitat for Humanity or other like organization in your area who could offer help or guidance? www.habitat.org/ There is a search on the site for local entities.

4. Do you have a community college in your town that offers carpentry classes? If so, call there and see if they offer a program where the students to the work if you pay the materials. Just be sure to understand exactly how it works and if you have any recourse if they do a bad job...they are students and it probably won't be perfect...although ideally it could be.

5. If you have a health condition...like if you have MS, or asthma, or a heart condition, or if you are a senior...contact the national organization for your situation and see if they can offer help. For seniors, I know there is an Area Agency on Aging in my state that helps people... I have no personal experience with this, but read not long ago about how this worked for someone. I can't find a link so I must have read is in an old fashioned paper format that didn't get linked to a website...or I am not asking the right question of Google.

Good luck with your search! I will send up positive thoughts that you find a good solution!

Go to HUD.org, and click on your state.

Habitat for Humanity or search for a Community Housing Coalition in your state/region

also if you feel you have anything you can barter/trade, you can go on craigslist in the barter section and state your case. They also have a 'wanted' craigslist section

when I was in that predicament I went ahead and paid $10 to buy some roof glue and some wire mesh stuff and fixed the holes myself. Not well but something.

here are some affordable products
www.walmart.com/.../44692221
www.lowes.com/.../1002189