Saving Money on Dental Visits

Medical is some of our most costly expenses and since dental visits aren't always covered by many insurances (nor by Medicare), folks sometimes don't go to their dentist every 6 months. I am not encouraging this. It's just a FACT.

If that describes you or someone you know, there is something you can do to protect your health between longer dental visits. I'll also tell you WHY.

Floss at LEAST once daily! Flossing not only removes food in between teeth that might cause cavities, it also wipes off built-up plaque along the tooth and the gumline which leads to teeth loosening and eventually gum disease! Plaque is also known to contribute to lung, heart and other diseases!

If possible look for the unwoven floss, which is looser and grabs more plaque causing material.

Start right after a dental cleaning and it won't build up as quickly. Your mouth will feel and all be fresher and cleaner longer too!

Other than the time I was in the hospital for knee replacement and totally out of it on pain meds, I haven't missed a day flossing in about 30 years.

For people who say they can't get in the habit of flossing, I say: Make yourself floss every day for a month. You won't be able to stop after that.

My hygienist has said she wishes all her patients were like me, because my gums don't bleed when I get my teeth cleaned.

No need to floss all your teeth; just the ones you want to keep.

Hahahaha....when my daughter was very little she misunderstood the saying and once said " When you got it floss it"...which I thought was funny AND appropriate! :)

I like that one too.

I just learned that xylitol will raise the ph of the mouth so that cavity producing bacteria cannot produce the acid that causes decay. I saw it on a youtube video. Mentos makes a gum which has xylitol as the first ingredient. There are also more expensive products with xylitol.

I use xylitol for sweetening coffee, and sometimes for cooking. I found it cheaper on Amazon than in the stories, but it's still pretty expensive. Sometimes the ingredients in toothpaste will say xylitol.

Users of xylitol please be aware that it is deadly for dogs. My daughter lost a cute little dog because the dog got into some gum that had xylitol in it for the sweetener.

She rushed her to a vet but he couldn't save the dog.

Health & Beauty Beauty Body Teeth and MouthSeptember 5, 2018
🎄
🍂