Selling Cabbage Patch Dolls?

Selling Cabbage Patch Dolls - stacks of dolls in boxesI'm selling the Cabbage Patch Dolls my grandmother has collected for years. There is a whole truck full, I'm talking a semi truck full. They are all in the original packaging and some have birth certificates. I have accessories in the original packaging as well. My question is what are they worth how much do I sell them for? Where do I sell them?

Selling Cabbage Patch Dolls

Selling Cabbage Patch Dolls

Selling Cabbage Patch Dolls

Answers

Bronze Post Medal for All Time! 105 Posts
Best Answer

You have a few choices to sell them. Considering you have so many of them I would consider selling them locally. You can list them on Craigslist, hold a garage sale using an app that can be download and installed on your phone, or you can try your luck on eBay. Before taking the next step to sell them I would contact an appraiser first. You could have some dolls that are more valuable than others ones. Normally these average around $25 a doll online. Check your local area for appraisers to see what they have to say. They might even help to hold auctions for you to help sell these dolls.

Bronze Feedback Medal for All Time! 196 Feedbacks
Best Answer

WOW!! That is a whole lot of CPK if you have a semi truck's full of them. That is huge and amazing!! I would love to see them all as they are so much fun!!

My question for you is are you an experienced seller (either on eBay or Etsy or Facebook Marketplace) and do you have 6-12 months to sell these off on your own?

If not, I strongly recommend getting a professional estate sale company in and having them sell off the lot for you.

Yes, they will take a percentage of the sale for their time and they do this because of what's involved which is:

--their time
--researching to make sure you have no dolls that have a higher value (most sell for less than $10, but there are a few (NOT MANY, but a few) "ringers" out there that are quite valuable
--listing the items or holding an in person sale
--if selling online, they have to take photos, find boxes and packing materials, and then when the item ships, wrap it, take it to the post office and tell the buyer it is on the way

--then if the buyer isn't happy, they have to process a return
--YES it is A LOT of work--I know because I used to do this for a living, now I am just a hobby seller

The above is why I suggest having a professional estate sale person hold a sale for you and sell them. First, they can probably get it all done in a month or less (depending on their schedule and how they work their sales) and second, it will get this off your plate and you will still get some money back for the items.

You need to assesss if there are other things of your grandmothers you need to sell too and do this as one LARGE estate sale--probably best over 2 days or if you truly have a semi worth of dolls--2 different weekends or 4 days.

Estate sales are not just for people who have died...people who are living and moving or downsizing have estate sales also...really the biggest differnece betwen and estate sale and a yard sale is that an estate sale is usually INSIDE someone's house or a hall where a person's belongings have been moved and are being sold off vs a yard sale which is held OUTSIDE or in a garage and is just a small selection of person's stuff.

Where I am, estate sales get huge crowds and a lot of antique and vintage dealers and pickers come out, vs. yard sales where people who need something may stop by to see if you have the do hickey they need.

Ask friends and family for recommendations for reputable estate sale companies in your town and get 2-3 bids from them before you proceed.

They should give you an easy to understand contract.

The contract will tell you exactly how the sales will go and what percentage they get and you get and when you get the money.

They will also need to tell you what happens to what is LEFT from the sale, because there will be a lot left no matter how big or long or good the sale is. I have never held or been to and estate sale where everything was gone--ever--and I am not a spring chicken in age.

In the contract you will need to work with them on how they will "clean up or clean out" after the sale.

Be aware that estate sale companies that charge you to remove items after the sale are doing so for a reason--again--it is their time and energy...here is a little behind the scenes of why they do this....

So first off, YES, MOST take the unsold items and sell them on their own and YOU DO NOT GET the money from those sales...BUT, what everyone forgets is you got their TIME UPFRONT to clean out the place and take all the stuff away.

They had to get people, trucks, then a place to store the unsold items. Most good estate sale companies also offer to do minor repairs (like pull up ratty carpet or paint the walls), most also do a physical cleaning of the place at the end--meaning vacuum carpets or broom sweep non carpeted areas, leaving the place empty and clean.

They charge you a fee to do this because they have to pay all of this upfront (people, supplies, trucks, dumpsters, etc.)

So yes, they make up the balance of their money if they sell the items off on their own

An example of the math is a clean out costs the company $3,000 for everything (see above)--they charge you $1,500--take everything left and hope to make the other $1,500 to make the $3,000 cost back at the end. If they make a little more, they are happy, but most barely make back the money needed to GET TO that $3,000.

You can help have a successful sale and less left for the clean out if you work with the estate sale company to promote the sale IN ADDITION to how they promote it.

For example, you can post about the sale on your social media, you can join Facebook groups that allow self promotion and promote the sale there, etc.

If you need help understand the contract when you get one with an company, post back and I can help you!!

Wishing you all the best with your sale!! I think you will feel much better about things if you leave it to a pro!!

Otherwise, you are going to have a full time job selling these that may last a year or so and not give you a really good return on your investment of time.

Best wishes and prayers for success!

Diamond Post Medal for All Time! 1,246 Posts
Best Answer

WOW that's incredible. In your case, I feel they would sell better as a huge batch to a shop that prides themselves on vintage dolls. I've seen them sold individually around $25 but I think you can go further by doing the above. Good luck. That's so awesome.

Answer this Question

19 More Questions

I have 8 Cabbage Patch Kids; how much are they worth? They're all from the 1980s.

Value of Vintage Cabbage Patch Kids - pile of dolls

Answers

Bronze Post Medal for All Time! 140 Posts
Best Answer

On Ebay they are going for as low as $8 a piece up to $65. This depends on condition and also Packaging. Maybe you can stage them nice,so they can stand out among the 100's online,Good Luck

Best Answer

If the dolls are still in the original boxes or have been signed by the doll maker they sell for a much higher price. Other than this the dolls are normally selling right now for $5 to $15 each. When my daughter out grew her dolls she sold them at a yard sale and I believe she received around $20 for each one of hers but that was years ago.

Best Answer

I recently sold off a lot of my own CPK. The best way to determine value is to research each doll on eBay using the sold section.

You will need to match your CPK to the sold item and that tells you today's current market value.

Be sure to compare apples to apples--so if you have one that is pristine in the box, do not compare the value to one in played with condition.

It can be a challenge to search eBay sometimes, but don't give up. Sometimes you have to search by color of hair and color of outfit.

There are some that are still quite valuable and some that are selling for as low as 99 cents.

If your photos were clearer and could get an accurate view of who you have and their condition, I could value one out for you to give you an example.

I can tell you a few things...first, be very wary of advertising "signed" dolls. Unless you have one of the original "Little People" dolls--which were the prototypes so to speak for the CPK, it is my understanding that all of the CPK "mass produced" dolls have the Xavier Roberts signature on the tush. But the signature is a stamp, not done with a marker like he did the Little People dolls.

There are may misinformed sellers out there trying to garner big bucks for a "signed" CPK when in reality, they have a stamped signature. It is confusing...but there are very, very few of the actual signed dolls in the "wild" any more. Those people are holding on to and often have the cooberating information to verify they have something authentic....there was a tad for fraud around these in the early days also...so just be careful.

Second, most buyers who collect want the box and the paperwork and any accessories that came with the dolls. They also want original outfits.

If you dolls have been played with, they must be advertised as such VERY CLEARLY or you will have a very upset buyer. These buyers are serious about their CPK and will pay for quality and mis-advertising will not be tolerated.

If you find your dolls have sold prices of under $10 online, you may be best to sell them in a local venue--like at a flea market or consigment store since postage to ship these is just outrageous and few buyers will pay for the more common dolls if they have to pay shipping.

The things that fetch the most money are the outfits when in pristine condition--even without the doll--just the clothes, and lots of the shoes if they are matching and pristine also still have value--because many people are tying to get their dolls back into shape and they want original outfits and shoes.

It used to be the certificates fetched money (the birth certificates). I haven't checked on that lately. I sold a bunch of those a while back when I came across some in my travels and then they were fetching $10 each...not sure if that still holds true as the market has changed considerably in the past few years.

Also last hint/tip, if the dolls have any smell--like smoke or cat or musty--this must be disclosure and will probably drop the value to nothing. I have seen this happen with the valuable dolls...they they were stored in a smelly place and now that smell will not come off them and no one wants them. That is sad.

Post back with updates. If you need guidance on how to research, I can help--just ask! Blessings! Thanks for sharing your question!

Answer this Question

What's the value of these dolls?

Two Cabbage Patch dolls in a bag.

A girl Cabbage Patch doll.

A boy Cabbage Patch doll.

Answer this Question

I have a 1985 Cabbage Patch doll with signed butt, original box, adoption papers, and original sales receipt. It has never been used. Waldo Bellamy doll. I am looking for the value.

A Cabbage Patch doll in the box wearing a grey sweatshirt with the number 31

The signature on a Cabbage Patch doll.

A Cabbage Patch doll.

Answer this Question

I would like to sell my Cabbage Patch doll. I have had it since 1984. It is in good condition and has the birth certificate with it. Could you please tell what the value is and where and how I might be able to sell it?Value of a 1984 Cabbage Patch Doll? - doll wearing sweats

Thank you.

Value of a 1984 Cabbage Patch Doll?

Value of a 1984 Cabbage Patch Doll?

Value of a 1984 Cabbage Patch Doll?

Answer this Question

I have a red hair blue eyed cabbage patch doll. Interested in reselling but I'm having a hard time finding a value. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

A red haired blue eyed Cabbage Patch doll.

Answer this Question

These belonged to my mother. I would like to get rid of them, but have no idea what they are worth. They are all new in the box.
Any help appreciated.

Selling Cabbage Patch Dolls - twins in the box

Selling Cabbage Patch Dolls

Selling Cabbage Patch Dolls

Selling Cabbage Patch Dolls

Selling Cabbage Patch Dolls

Answers

Gold Feedback Medal for All Time! 949 Feedbacks
Best Answer

Your dolls are the Cabbage Patch Kids and these were sold before 1990.
Some of these may be worth more money but you will have to research each doll and that is very time consuming as many of these did not have a name and many people selling these dolls do not know the name if the doll did have one.
This just means you may have to do a 'visual' search and eBay is the best place to start. You can narrow the search by using the eBay tools shown on the left side of the screen - size - boy or girl - ethnicity - year.
Still - all sellers do not show all of this so you may miss some but if you find one of your dolls you can place a 'watch' on the listing to see if it sells as only a sold item can give you current value (asking prices are just prices a seller would like to receive for their doll).

Here is a link to Cabbage patch Kids presently located for sale on eBay.
Be sure to check the side bar to narrow your search.

www.ebay.com/.../i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2323012...

Here is a link to dolls sold over the past several months and if one of your dolls are in this group then you will have a 'current value'.

www.ebay.com/.../i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=cabbage+patch...

Generally it is best for an inexperienced seller to list dolls on local venues like Craigslist, OfferUp, LetGo, Facebook Marketplace as you can list these as 'pick up only' and not have to ship.
You can start prices high and lower them if no one shows an interest.

Best Answer

CPK are fun and the values are all over the place. For example,
it looks like your twin infants without the box just sold for $22 with free shipping. With the box, they would fetch more, most are selling upward of $60 with the box (never opened).

The twin girls in the blue dresses are getting $26-$50, in the box, never opened.

The single dolls are all over the place, but typically much lower, like $10-15 in the box never opened.

Best to take each and match year and style and condition with eBay solds. SOLD price = value. Asking price is just what a seller wants to get for something.

The boxes are very fragile so shipping these can be a pain. If you have a local venue like a consignment store, you won't get as much, but if you are not an experienced on seller and have what you need to package these correctly, you risk having unhappy buyers.

If you are an experienced seller, eBay is the best way to sell.

I suggest doing 7 day auctions, run Sunday to Sunday and start at the least you would want to get for them and see what the market bears.

Post back how the sales go!

Answer this Question

I wanted to pick everybody's brains as I have no clue. I came across these 3 Cabbage Patch Kid Dolls. I was curious if anybody can help me know their names and value.

Also 2 of them have a signature on the butt, I believe in black color.

Value of Cabbage Patch Kid Dolls

Value of Cabbage Patch Kid Dolls

Value of Cabbage Patch Kid Dolls

Value of Cabbage Patch Kid Dolls

Value of Cabbage Patch Kid Dolls - boy doll in denim

Value of Cabbage Patch Kid Dolls

Value of Cabbage Patch Kid Dolls

Value of Cabbage Patch Kid Dolls

Value of Cabbage Patch Kid Dolls

Value of Cabbage Patch Kid Dolls

Value of Cabbage Patch Kid Dolls

Value of Cabbage Patch Kid Dolls

Value of Cabbage Patch Kid Dolls

Value of Cabbage Patch Kid Dolls

Answers

Best Answer

Finding out the name will be very difficult unless you have found the birth certificates that came with the dolls when they were boxed up. Each doll was given a name when they were made and to find out the name now will be impossible. The value of the dolls in today's current market are around $25 each. That is the average selling price of the dolls a few months ago. Right now dolls are not selling and I do believe the price of them will decrease soon because of the economy and people will not be interested in investing in dolls like this for a little while.

Answer this Question
Load More
Consumer Advice Collectibles DollsJune 1, 2015
🌻
👔
👒
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Selling-Cabbage-Patch-Dolls.html