Selling Cabbage Patch Dolls

Category Dolls
This is a page about selling Cabbage Patch Dolls. Originally created in 1978 and called Little People, these dolls are still popular today.

I moved into an old house where I inherited a lot of stuff I don't need. Some of the things being 3 original Cabbage Patch dolls. One of them predates the Cabbage Patch. They are called The Little People. I need fast cash, yet I don't want to take a big loss either. I believe all 3 dolls would go for around 3 grand. Mine are used, but in great condition. Would $1000 be too much? I have to sell them today. I have a neighbor who wants to give me $600 for all three.

Please advise.

Answers

Best Answer

The original signed Xavier Roberts dolls in mint condition are $1000 each. Since yours are used I think the $1000 is fair. Split the difference with your neighbor and counteroffer $800.

Best Answer

The dolls are not exactally in mint conditions so the price of $1000 for each doll will not apply to the dolls you have there. These dolls are not signed so this is another factor. I feel that if you sold the dolls for $600 to $700 that is a very fair price.

Best Answer

Exactly which Little People Doll do you have?

This list has all of the different signatures and how many they made. You can see some (like the Helen Blue signature) had very few made and therefore would have much more value than an E Bronze where they made 15,000. There are other signatures also with other numbers of them made.

yello80s.com/.../

Without knowing which doll is the Little People and which signature you have it would be impossible to value it accurately.

Condition is also critical and yours look like they have been played with and do not have original clothing, which critical to getting a higher value.

I suggest looking on eBay SOLDs to get an idea of the value of your dolls.

The one thing I noticed is that there are 2 Little People that are SOLD for super high values--one $9200 and one $1500.

Please do NOT get your hopes up on yours having that value. Why I say this is I know from years of selling that I am 99% sure that those 2 high value sales are money laundering scam sales. It is huge on eBay.

The 7 telltale signs are 1. the high price 2. 1 bid (usually if something is super rare and valuable there are lots of bids 3. no feedback from the buyer. 4. The seller is no longer selling or has not had a sale in a while 5.

OR. the seller has very little if any feedback at all 6. The seller does not sell other items just has had some "high value" sales. 7. The description of the doll is very basic. If I am buying a high value item, I want the description to include every detail and these details are so bare bones it is laughable.

What you have to do is look at the "middle range" sales to know these 2 sales are not right. You will see the average price for some of the rarer Little People dolls is around $400.

What are the other two--just later CPK? Do you have boxes? Do you have the original clothing? Do you have the certificates?

Most of the regular CPK kids have very little value, but there are a few ringers in that realm like there is a wedding set , Hispanic and Oriental CPK, and some African American versions that sells for in the 200-300 dollar range.

If you need super quick money, I would say take the money if someone is offering you $600.

If you have a little time, I suggest take them to a doll expert. Your town or your nearest big city should have someone who can give you a professional appraisal so you can confidently sell the dolls knowing exactly what you have. A professional will grade them also, which is critical to selling and getting real money (vs. laundered money).

Please post back what you learn!!

Best Answer

When it's all said and done - if you need the money quickly, I would suggest asking $700 but take the $600 and do not be upset if they happen to sell them for more money.

You can research your dolls but I'm not sure they are all Little People and their clothing does not appear to be in very good condition either. Collectors who pay big money (even $200) for dolls look at everything before paying out their money.

Hope you sell them and feel good about having received money that you did not have to earn - gifts are nice.

You can always do your own research if you wish to wait for a sale.
eBay has a lot of these listed for sale but be sure to reread what Pghgirl stated about high sales.
These are presently listed for sale.

www.ebay.com/.../i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=little+people...

These are the ones that have sold so maybe see if any of your dolls fall in these sales.

I have (5) still in the box w/papers and (12) out of the box never played with Cabbage Patch dolls ranging from 1983 to 1985. Would it be quicker to try and sell all (17) at a lump sum price or sell them individually?

Answers

Best Answer

First off it all depends on the doll you are trying to sell. The dolls are sold for a price of 15 to 25 dollars each. These are dolls that are not signed but are still in the original boxes. Online there are a lot of people offering these dolls for sale.

If you are looking for a quick sale maybe posting them in a group they can sell faster. Just figure out how many you have and how much you'd like for each one. I do find selling these type of dolls locally they sell much faster and you can normally get a higher price for them. Online they can sit there for months and never be sold.

Best Answer

I would sell the in box ones together, because they are unopened with papers. The 12 out of the box sold together. Staging and presentation is everything when you want to sell something that is being sold often. Auction/bid could help!

Best Answer

You really need to research each doll individually to see what they are selling for and then you can decide which ones to place in groups to sell. There may be one or two that should be listed individually.
Just be very careful when matching as there are several different things to look for when matching items.
Condition, Size, Year
Box, Clothes, COA/Birth Certificate, Signature on butt/shoe, accessories

The best research for value is on eBay's sold listings because this shows what someone is willing to pay or paid in the past few months. But you also need to understand that November through January are still the best months to sell dolls even though the majority of dolls may not be on the wanted list of young girls anymore. Grandmothers (and some mothers) still want the girls to like dolls the way they did in younger years.
Most likely you will see the number of dolls sold drop in the other months of the year.

Here are some groups/lots of dolls that sold during this time period. Strange but this one seller sold 6 'lots' of early Cabbage Patch dolls and that is unusual for a seller to have that many dolls of one kind. I'm listing the links here just to give you an idea of how to list your dolls should you decide to list them in a group. Always be careful of shipping as these dolls will be heavy and will need to be safely packed in a large box. You can always pack the dolls and take the box to the post office to see how much it weighs just to be sure.
These listing will not be available for a long period of time as eBay only leaves sold listings up for a couple of months.

www.ebay.com/.../153718576978?hash=item23ca575752...

www.ebay.com/.../153738913605?hash=item23cb8da745...

Here are links to eBay sold listings (these may change daily) but you narror your search by using the filters on the left side of the screen.

www.ebay.com/.../i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=cabbage+patch...

I have 8 Cabbage Patch Kids; how much are they worth? They're all from the 1980s.

Answers

Best Answer

On Ebay they are going for as low as $8 a piece up to $65. This depends on condition and also Packaging. Maybe you can stage them nice,so they can stand out among the 100's online,Good Luck

Best Answer

If the dolls are still in the original boxes or have been signed by the doll maker they sell for a much higher price. Other than this the dolls are normally selling right now for $5 to $15 each. When my daughter out grew her dolls she sold them at a yard sale and I believe she received around $20 for each one of hers but that was years ago.

Best Answer

I recently sold off a lot of my own CPK. The best way to determine value is to research each doll on eBay using the sold section.

You will need to match your CPK to the sold item and that tells you today's current market value.

Be sure to compare apples to apples--so if you have one that is pristine in the box, do not compare the value to one in played with condition.

It can be a challenge to search eBay sometimes, but don't give up. Sometimes you have to search by color of hair and color of outfit.

There are some that are still quite valuable and some that are selling for as low as 99 cents.

If your photos were clearer and could get an accurate view of who you have and their condition, I could value one out for you to give you an example.

I can tell you a few things...first, be very wary of advertising "signed" dolls. Unless you have one of the original "Little People" dolls--which were the prototypes so to speak for the CPK, it is my understanding that all of the CPK "mass produced" dolls have the Xavier Roberts signature on the tush. But the signature is a stamp, not done with a marker like he did the Little People dolls.

There are may misinformed sellers out there trying to garner big bucks for a "signed" CPK when in reality, they have a stamped signature. It is confusing...but there are very, very few of the actual signed dolls in the "wild" any more. Those people are holding on to and often have the cooberating information to verify they have something authentic....there was a tad for fraud around these in the early days also...so just be careful.

Second, most buyers who collect want the box and the paperwork and any accessories that came with the dolls. They also want original outfits.

If you dolls have been played with, they must be advertised as such VERY CLEARLY or you will have a very upset buyer. These buyers are serious about their CPK and will pay for quality and mis-advertising will not be tolerated.

If you find your dolls have sold prices of under $10 online, you may be best to sell them in a local venue--like at a flea market or consigment store since postage to ship these is just outrageous and few buyers will pay for the more common dolls if they have to pay shipping.

The things that fetch the most money are the outfits when in pristine condition--even without the doll--just the clothes, and lots of the shoes if they are matching and pristine also still have value--because many people are tying to get their dolls back into shape and they want original outfits and shoes.

It used to be the certificates fetched money (the birth certificates). I haven't checked on that lately. I sold a bunch of those a while back when I came across some in my travels and then they were fetching $10 each...not sure if that still holds true as the market has changed considerably in the past few years.

Also last hint/tip, if the dolls have any smell--like smoke or cat or musty--this must be disclosure and will probably drop the value to nothing. I have seen this happen with the valuable dolls...they they were stored in a smelly place and now that smell will not come off them and no one wants them. That is sad.

Post back with updates. If you need guidance on how to research, I can help--just ask! Blessings! Thanks for sharing your question!

I'm selling the Cabbage Patch Dolls my grandmother has collected for years. There is a whole truck full, I'm talking a semi truck full. They are all in the original packaging and some have birth certificates. I have accessories in the original packaging as well. My question is what are they worth how much do I sell them for? Where do I sell them?

Answers

Best Answer

You have a few choices to sell them. Considering you have so many of them I would consider selling them locally. You can list them on Craigslist, hold a garage sale using an app that can be download and installed on your phone, or you can try your luck on eBay. Before taking the next step to sell them I would contact an appraiser first. You could have some dolls that are more valuable than others ones. Normally these average around $25 a doll online. Check your local area for appraisers to see what they have to say. They might even help to hold auctions for you to help sell these dolls.

Best Answer

WOW!! That is a whole lot of CPK if you have a semi truck's full of them. That is huge and amazing!! I would love to see them all as they are so much fun!!

My question for you is are you an experienced seller (either on eBay or Etsy or Facebook Marketplace) and do you have 6-12 months to sell these off on your own?

If not, I strongly recommend getting a professional estate sale company in and having them sell off the lot for you.

Yes, they will take a percentage of the sale for their time and they do this because of what's involved which is:

--their time
--researching to make sure you have no dolls that have a higher value (most sell for less than $10, but there are a few (NOT MANY, but a few) "ringers" out there that are quite valuable
--listing the items or holding an in person sale
--if selling online, they have to take photos, find boxes and packing materials, and then when the item ships, wrap it, take it to the post office and tell the buyer it is on the way
--then if the buyer isn't happy, they have to process a return
--YES it is A LOT of work--I know because I used to do this for a living, now I am just a hobby seller

The above is why I suggest having a professional estate sale person hold a sale for you and sell them. First, they can probably get it all done in a month or less (depending on their schedule and how they work their sales) and second, it will get this off your plate and you will still get some money back for the items.

You need to assesss if there are other things of your grandmothers you need to sell too and do this as one LARGE estate sale--probably best over 2 days or if you truly have a semi worth of dolls--2 different weekends or 4 days.

Estate sales are not just for people who have died...people who are living and moving or downsizing have estate sales also...really the biggest differnece betwen and estate sale and a yard sale is that an estate sale is usually INSIDE someone's house or a hall where a person's belongings have been moved and are being sold off vs a yard sale which is held OUTSIDE or in a garage and is just a small selection of person's stuff.

Where I am, estate sales get huge crowds and a lot of antique and vintage dealers and pickers come out, vs. yard sales where people who need something may stop by to see if you have the do hickey they need.

Ask friends and family for recommendations for reputable estate sale companies in your town and get 2-3 bids from them before you proceed.

They should give you an easy to understand contract.

The contract will tell you exactly how the sales will go and what percentage they get and you get and when you get the money.

They will also need to tell you what happens to what is LEFT from the sale, because there will be a lot left no matter how big or long or good the sale is. I have never held or been to and estate sale where everything was gone--ever--and I am not a spring chicken in age.

In the contract you will need to work with them on how they will "clean up or clean out" after the sale.

Be aware that estate sale companies that charge you to remove items after the sale are doing so for a reason--again--it is their time and energy...here is a little behind the scenes of why they do this....

So first off, YES, MOST take the unsold items and sell them on their own and YOU DO NOT GET the money from those sales...BUT, what everyone forgets is you got their TIME UPFRONT to clean out the place and take all the stuff away.

They had to get people, trucks, then a place to store the unsold items. Most good estate sale companies also offer to do minor repairs (like pull up ratty carpet or paint the walls), most also do a physical cleaning of the place at the end--meaning vacuum carpets or broom sweep non carpeted areas, leaving the place empty and clean.

They charge you a fee to do this because they have to pay all of this upfront (people, supplies, trucks, dumpsters, etc.)

So yes, they make up the balance of their money if they sell the items off on their own

An example of the math is a clean out costs the company $3,000 for everything (see above)--they charge you $1,500--take everything left and hope to make the other $1,500 to make the $3,000 cost back at the end. If they make a little more, they are happy, but most barely make back the money needed to GET TO that $3,000.

You can help have a successful sale and less left for the clean out if you work with the estate sale company to promote the sale IN ADDITION to how they promote it.

For example, you can post about the sale on your social media, you can join Facebook groups that allow self promotion and promote the sale there, etc.

If you need help understand the contract when you get one with an company, post back and I can help you!!

Wishing you all the best with your sale!! I think you will feel much better about things if you leave it to a pro!!

Otherwise, you are going to have a full time job selling these that may last a year or so and not give you a really good return on your investment of time.

Best wishes and prayers for success!

Best Answer

WOW that's incredible. In your case, I feel they would sell better as a huge batch to a shop that prides themselves on vintage dolls. I've seen them sold individually around $25 but I think you can go further by doing the above. Good luck. That's so awesome.

I am looking for their value so I can make an educated sale. Any help would be great. They are brand new in the original box, never opened.
Thank you.

Answers

Best Answer

Normally people ask around $25 for each one of these dolls. Today the value of these dolls has declined and the market is flooded with dolls like this and others. I would suggest that you do not try and sell your dolls online but instead sell them locally. You might be able to sell them quickly and actually get a better price for them.

Best Answer

Unless it is a signed Xavier Roberts doll, it is worth less than $25.

I'm looking for as much information as I can get with the end goal being to sell this doll to the right person that will appreciate it.

I have several dolls. I had two girls. I do have the boxes, but they have been played with, some more than others. I have some of the animals as well. How do I sell them?

I have a 1983 Coleco Cabbage Patch Kid doll named is Stephen Elwin. It is brand new in the box, with the birth certificate and everything, but the front plastic. It is very rare. How much is it worth?

I have the red haired green eyed girl with the green signature on her rear. The date is 1978, 1982. There are no clothes or box. She has a very clean soft body. Does it have any value?

I acquired this Original Cabbage Patch Kids Designer Line doll by Xavier Roberts, from a tenant. I'm not able to find it online anywhere. Anyone had any idea of the value?

Answers

I am not sure but with the condition of that box it will not be as much as your quoted.

I want to sale my Cabbage Patch dolls. How do I get started?

I have 4 Cabbage Patch dolls all stamped '84, '85, '86 one stamped in black with no date. Does anyone know the value and where I can sell them?

I've had this CPD for a long time now. I just don't have a birth certificate or box for it. But it does have its original clothing. It honestly just popped out of nowhere. It's in pretty good condition and I can clean it if I find somewhere to sell it. I tried Googling information, but I figured this could be more helpful. Thank you in advance for your advice.

I have a vintage Cabbage Patch doll from 1978, autographed by Xavier Roberts. It is in excellent condition, has been very well taken care of, and is super clean. He comes with original clothing and pamper. I found its value at $900 in the condition it's in, but am not sure where I can sell it. Of course I would be reasonable on pricing.

Load More

Consumer Advice Collectibles DollsJune 1, 2015
🐰
🍀
🌻