Treating an Anemic Cat

Category Cats
Like humans, animals can also suffer from anemia and the effects of this blood condition. This is a guide about treating an anemic cat.

My cat is extremely anemic. Tests have shown no parasites, no infection, and no feline leukemia. I don't have much money. A blood transfusion has been suggested at $500 and a bone marrow test for $1000. These are out of my reach.

For several years my cat munched on a peace lily I had. She would quickly vomit. I now know that these plants are poisonous, but since she hasn't died, could her anemia problem be related to the eating of the plant? Any suggestions on what I can do for her? She's currently on steroids and a vitamin supplement, but I can see that she's beginning to get worse rather than better, as when she first started on the steroids. Help!

By Sharon

Answers

Best Answer

Well, I hope the plant is gone, so that can't be a worry again.

You can get frozen chicken livers at low cost at several stores in their frozen meat area. I'd give her one cooked [saute on low/med heat in little oil after thawing out] per day, sprinkled with a bit of brewer's yeast mashed in. Brewer's yeast or nutritional yeast can be found in stores that have food in bins usually. A pinch per day would be plenty.

Liver contains iron and B vitamins, and so does brewers yeast. You don't want to overdo it [liver also contains vitamin A which can build up to unhealthy limits]. Bit I think if you go through one package of chicken livers you may see an improvement if improvement is possible. Then maybe 2 livers a week.

You'll have to figure out how to keep them fresh
when you are only giving them once a week, because each container of chicken livers [looks like cottage cheese or deli container] has about 10 livers.

Or buy cat food which contains liver. But still give the brewer's yeast because at least in people anemia can be caused by low iron and or low B vitamins.

Poor kitty.

Anonymous
Best Answer

I know that this is an old post, but wanted to post something here in case anyone else reads it now or in the future. I'm a nutritionist and have been dealing with sick people as well as animals for a long time, so u thought that I could chime in with some helpful tips here. :)
My neighbors cat was diagnosed with anemia and when I saw the cat licking every metal thing in sight (radiators, railings and even the sidewalk), it finally dawned on me that it was the minerals that they were after.

We all know how low the quality of human food is these days, so I think any of us can imagine just how low in nutrients (especially absorbable organic nutrients) that packaged cat (and dog) food is. Ever since our domestic animals started on a diet of packaged foods (and the quality that most people buy is dreadful), the rate of cancers and other diseases has skyrocketed. About 10 years ago, the rate of cancers and lymphoma's in cats was about 33%. Now it's at the 50% mark, which currently equals the cancer rates in dogs. Personally I believe that they are not able to break down and absorb the crude proteins and inorganic vitamins and minerals in packaged cat food as.
I think this is particularly true for cats, especially when it comes to breaking down proteins. Breaking down and absorbing proteins are tough on the kidneys (for humans and dogs as well) and it takes a lot of water (and energy) to do so. So continually having to break down a crude, low grade protein would eventually lead to kidney issues. Not being able to break down and absord the crude inorganic vitamins and minerals, would also lead to anemia (and if left untreated) as well as lymphoma's, leukemia and other cancers, just as it would in humans.

So what to do?
Start feeding your cats & dogs cooked (or possibly even raw) organic meats.
Supplements I'd add are:

1) Himalayan salt: It's the purest salt in the world and contains 84 different minerals in it. A sprinkle on their food, would definitely up their absorbable mineral content.

2) Nutritional Yeast (get the one with B-12): This is full of a large amount of B vitamins & Zinc. It's also a plus that it's also cheesy flavored, the yeast is deactivated and it is easily mixed and absorbed into cat foods.

3) Zeolite (the liquid form): One of my most favorite detoxer's on the planet. It's made from volcanic ash, it's 100% safe and it's been used for decades to keep livestock healthy. The difference between it and other detoxing clays, is that it's a negatively charged mineral (very rare) so it pulls things towards it. Since it also has a unique honeycomb structure to it, it's amazingly good at pulling things towards it and trapping them inside of it. Which is why nuclear plants use Zeolite to store used plutonium in. In fact, it was used to clean up at Chernobyl and sand bags of it were dumped into the seawater around Fukushima to stop the escaping plutonium from leaching into the Pacific ocean.

Why is all this important to your cat (and for you as well)? Because it also absorbs all heavy metals (lead, cadium, mercury, aluminum, etc.), it breaks up and absorbs entire chains of viruses from your body, it oxygenates and balances your bodies pH level (zeolite is also used to make medical grade oxygen), and much, much more. On top of all that, it was used in 2 different types of cancer studies. The first in a petri dish (where it killed all different types of cancer cells within 72 hours) and the second study was done with 65 people, who all had different stage 4 cancers and had all been sent home to die. They were all put on Zeolite and 78% of them experienced complete remission of their cancer. My personal experience with is has been impressive (though I have not had cancer) and I've used it with my cat with very good results as well.

4) Flor-Essence: This herbal based detoxing powerhouse comes in the form of a liquid or a tea and a lot of people (if you do an internet search) have experienced fantastic results with this herbal liver cleanser. Personally I've seen it work tremendously well with people as well, cleaning up toxins (probably the main reason for illnesses in both people and animals in my opinion) and putting very ill people back on track again.
5) Coconut Oil (raw and cold pressed only): My cat adores. A lot of people worry about the high saturated fat content of coconut oil, but just like good sugars & bad sugars, good proteins & bad proteins, good carbs & bad.... there are good saturated fats & bad. The division g line comes in when things are processed (as well as heated or frozen) and therefore "denatured". When this happens it changes the molecular and cellular structure of the food and makes it more difficult for the body to break it down and absorb it. However good fats like coconut oil not only bind to bad fats and help pull them out of the body, but they also aid in brain, nervous system, joint function and more. Good fats are actually quite medicinal to the body in many ways.

Anyway, I'm sorry that this is SO long! But if I can help anyone in anyway by passing g this info along, then that's good enough for me. :)

Thank you so much Mrs. Story. You're very kind!

Here's my beautiful girl. The anemia is caused by something more than just iron deficiency. There is some type of condition/disease that's causing it and until that is addressed, the anemia isn't treatable. I'm currently running my own little business and don't have much extra money for the testing involved. I'm just trying to find out if anyone else had a similar problem that I could relate to my vet. I'm thinking it may be some kidney failure or kidney problem but I can't get her urine separately from the others for testing. My Tracey is 14+ years old and I might have to let her go as comfortably and peacefully as I can. Of course I love her dearly but I also have 3 other cats to deal with (two of them left behind by my daughter!) and my daughter is helping with food and litter. I'm just a little overwhelmed with my life right now and I appreciate all the good thoughts and advice. Thank you to all who care.