Use Clothespins as Chip Clips

Clothes pins can be an inexpensive alternative to buying more expensive chip clips. This is a guide about use clothespins as chip clips.

Buy a bag of clothespins at the dollar store. They make a cheap but very good way to clamp shut your chips, pretzels, or any bag you want to close. I fold the bag down several times and then clip it shut. They are great chip clips! Or you can use the clips that hold papers together, either one will work.

By Dorothy from New Creek, WV

Instead of buying bag clips, I use a clothes pin to keep the bag closed. I also use clothes pins on hangers to hang skirts and pants.

By bw878 from Bennington, VT

Buy new clothespins for this craft as they come in contact with food stuff.

Materials:

Instructions

Paint designs or solid colors. Let dry 24 hours.

Great use! Fold down your bag of chips, etc. then use your clothespin to close. They are good to close your bread too.

By Sherry from Valdosta, GA

My plastic bag clips were breaking because the freezer was too cold for them. I now use wooden clothespins and have eliminated the issue. They last a lot longer and I will be using them exclusively, even for items that are not kept in the freezer.

After I enjoy a bowl of cereal or munch a chip, I fold the bag by bringing the top corners of the bag in to meet each other then fold the flap down. I then clip a clothespin on the flap and return to box or shelf. Next time I use the product, it is fresh and delicious, just for me!

When I open a packet of cereal and there is no ziplock top to re-close it, I fold the packet up and put a clothes peg on it. It is then air tight until it is finished. I use pegs even if I open a packet of frozen vegetables or goods.

By Janell from Hamilton, New Zealand

This tip is so easy, maybe everyone already does it. Don't worry about buying chip and bag clips, use clothes pins! I use clothes pins to seal any bag I need to, from pasta and rice to chips and such. Much cheaper, they don't take up much room, and so handy to use!

By Kim from Crawford, CO

Answers:

Use Clothes Pins for Chip Clips

Here's another idea for closing bags. It depends on the material whether it works or not (plastic, cellophane, paper, etc.). I've found it works more often than not and 'won't need to use a clip at all' :-)

I tried writing out an easily understandable explanation but wasn't doing well at it so decided to see if there was a post anywhere on a google search showing how to do it and, yep, there's a visual on YouTube :-) Here's the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-KncC7We4Q

Happy Bag Closing Testing ;-)

(08/29/2008)

By Deeli

Use Clothes Pins for Chip Clips

Right before school started, several teens stopped by the house on a scavenger hunt. They needed a clothespin but had no idea what a clothespin was. Made me feel old, old, old :) (08/29/2008)

By Carolyn

Use Clothes Pins for Chip Clips

I use clothes pins also for keeping the cello bag inside the cereal box from spilling out as I store my cereal box on the side and those flaps on top aren't too reliable. What did we do before clip clothes pins?? haha(b)(/b) (08/30/2008)

By macou33

Use Clothes Pins for Chip Clips

I don't use clothes pins because the opposite end sticking up there is always getting knocked around. Instead I bought a couple of boxes of these black paper clip things. They come in a range of sizes. I use them for clipping my bags shut. I keep a bucket of them handy because I use them for so many things. Including clipping back the curtains when I put a fan in the window. I couldn't list all the things I use them for. (05/12/2009)

By Cricketnc

Use Clothes Pins for Chip Clips

I use the metal binder clips you get at office stores. They have different sizes and are very sturdy, unlike the plastic ones! (05/12/2009)

By Catzmama

Use Clothes Pins for Chip Clips

I now use rubber bands that I buy from the dollar store in large packages of assorted sizes, colors and strengths. I like them better than the clothes pins and package clips that I was using, as they make for a more compact and easier to store package. Also easier for grandchildren's fingers to close with rubber bands. (05/12/2009)

By Kathryen

Use Clothes Pins for Chip Clips

We've been doing this for years now. We also use rubber bands to keep chips and such closed. My kids used to call them "snack straps" and thought it was funny that someone was using them around the morning newspaper LOL (07/02/2009)

By romena99

Instead of spending any money at all on those cutesy little clips for closing potato chip bags and other bags, I use plain ol' clothespins, the kind with a spring. I've even been known to spray paint 'em in bright colors if they're going to be in plain sight. You probably already have a clothespin-bag full of them at home. :)

By Jan from Champaign, IL

Answers:

Use Clothes Pins for Chip Clips

I also use them to close bags od frozen veggies from the super market when I don't use the whole bags. They are also good for hanging pants and long skirts in the closet so you don't get a "broken leg" crease and have to press before wearing. Having broken a fortune in bought chip clippers I much prefer the clothespins. (01/28/2008)

By MartyD

Use Clothes Pins for Chip Clips

Nope, don't have a clothesline, so I use the extra-large paper clips. Work just fine. (01/28/2008)

By sheilamay

Use Clothes Pins for Chip Clips

I don't have a clothesline either but I still bought some to use for this purpose and other things too (01/28/2008)

By imaqt1962

Use Clothes Pins for Chip Clips

Hi Jan...
I live in Urbana
nice to see someone closer to me on here (01/28/2008)

By suzanne

Use Clothes Pins for Chip Clips

I use clothespins in the kitchen for everything. If it's an opened bag, it's definitely held shut with a clothespin - much quicker and less annoying than twist-ties and cheaper than commercial bag clips. When it breaks, hey, I've got 49 more. (01/29/2008)

By czechens