Using Leftover Hair Dye

I color my hair and have a lot of solution left over, as I have short hair. Is there anyway I can use this bottle again when I need to dye my hair again? Thank you.

By flower51

I have short hair as well. I just mix 1/2 the solutions and use either another bottle or a glass cup and a hair color brush. Works great for me and I always get 2 applications per box. Just be sure to measure right.

How do you get it right yu found out that my hair goes blacker thanks

Sure, you'll be fine.

Hi Flower
I too have short hair and I have used 1/2 the solutions to color my hair for years. I am not "dying" my hair but "bleaching" it as I use blonde shades. The creme developer and the permanent hair color in the kit are both 2 oz.'s so I measure out 1 oz.

(2 Tablespoons - use plastic , not metal measuring spoon) of each and mix together and get 2 uses out of each kit. As I have done this several years I kept prior application bottle to mix and apply my "saving" mixture. Happy Good Hair Days!
stormy10000 in Ca.

You must do this the way the other posters have suggested. You can not save the solution after it is mixed together.

what do i do with left over dye in tube were do i throw it away

I was wondering the same thing. My hair dye I bought over the counter says it may bursts. I have a quarter of it left and I was wondering, do I just through it in the trash?

What if it bursts in my bathroom trash can? What a mess that would be. Just so I know for next time. I read ALL the instructions and never came across exactly what to do with any left overs. Thanks in advance!

I have short hair and therefore use very little of the solution. I do not try to reuse leftovers. I dispose of them in the toilet which obviously in a much larger volume of water is not harmful.

You do not have to mix all of the color with the developer. The ratio is 1:1. Just mix what you need and save the rest if the unmixed color for next time.