Weeding Tips and Tricks

Category Weeds
A woman weeding in her garden.
Hand weeding is generally preferred in garden areas to prevent harming the other plants. A few simple tips can help with both weeding and reducing the growth of weeds in your garden. This is a guide about weeding tips and tricks.

For many gardeners, one of the most unpleasant (and seemingly endless) aspects of gardening is staying on top of the weeds. Here are some simple tips to make the job easier.

A linoleum knife makes a great weeding tool. The sharp hooked end will cut through almost any weed, just below the soil.

It is also perfect for removing grass. You can clear a fairly large area of grass in a short amount of time. We created this planting bed with just a linoleum knife. :)

Weeding tips from the ThriftyFun community.

Weed Early In The Season

Weed and cultivate at least once every 10 days during the early gardening (weed) season. This will allow you to keep ahead of the weeds crowding out your "wanted" plants and the roots will not have time to make it hard to pull them up.

Weed Every Day

Weed a little every day.

By Drury

Editor's Note: This may seem obvious but it really does work. Everytime you see a weed in your flower or vegetable beds, pull it up. This keeps them from flowering and spreading their seeds.

Weeding When the Ground is Wet

Weeding used to be such a chore for me until I discovered if the earth has been wet for a while the weeds pull out so much easier and I am more likely to get the root than when dry. Also I seldom disturb the surrounding plants. This is so much easier.

By Joan in CT

Make Sure You Get The Roots

Kaliche soil in southern Texas means you weed after it rains or you water. I have a super big old screw driver with a slight bend in the tip as a "starter" to loosen the weed. Do not ever weed whack 'em and think you're done, it makes a huge root ball. My old neighbor friend put an old long drill bit on his cordless and wads up weeds, pretty funny actually. Pull close to the soil, have children pull them up and pay them by the root ball.

By AE from C.C.

Prevent Weeds With Organic Mulch

You can prevent weed growth in the first place with a thick layer of organic mulch, I use newspaper and straw. Just cut a slit to plant your seedlings in the vegetable garden. Another good weeding tip is to give up smoking cigarettes! I did this recently and have weeded a very large area as I find it very soothing and I don't think about cigarettes at all when weeding! I'd avoid the sprays, herbicides are poisons and we are eating enough of them every day in store bought foods.

By Jo

Round-Up

When we bought our home 3 years ago, it was 100 percent grass. It is now 25 percent grass and the rest are gardens and pathways. My property is well mulched with wood chips and landscape fabric, so while I do have weeds, the mulch keeps them to a minimum.

Every 2 or 3 weeks, I mix up a gallon of Round-Up and for the most part, this eliminates most of the weeds. I also hand pull them as I see them, but with an acre of property, the weeds can easily get ahead of hand pulling. I tried using vinegar as a weed spray, but it was inferior to the Round-Up.

It's important to get the weeds before they seed. You can pull 1 weed or after it seeds, you will be pulling 25 weeds! So, whether you hand pull or spray, do it often!

Have a weed free day!

By smartfell-r

Did you know that gardeners and home owners spend millions of dollars each year trying to rid their gardens of weeds? We keep spraying them and they keep coming back.

Weeding Without Chemicals

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

I was weeding by the pond early in the morning and realized there was a picture here just begging to be taken.

By Jim1

Flowerbed After Weeding

Comment Like this photo? 8